As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW][Chat] 4.2 today! And there was much rejoicing.

1565758596062»

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    why the fuck do so many people have problems with zanzil

it's not a hard fight

the mechanics are simple

and yet pugs fail on it again and again

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Took the trial thingie for a run, I like how they added an animation for oogling the map but still not being able to use thorns in animal forms suck ass.

Panda4You on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Huntard, why are you putting down Ice Traps on Rhyolith? We're not kiting anything, and they obscure the fuck out of the deadly, deadly ground effects that we need to see.

forty on
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Took the trial thingie for a run, I like how they added an animation for oogling the map but still not being able to use thorns in animal forms suck ass.

We were talking about stuff like that last night.

Arms Warrior: "Yea, and my DPS rotation was fucked for like 10 seconds because I didn't switch out of Defensive stance after taunting the spinner down."
    Frost DK: "You still have to switch stances to Taunt?"
    Arms Warrior: "Yup, it's pretty dumb."

They are slowly making the clunky Stances go away. Dunno how I feel about that though. Gives some kind of character to the class, but Warriors already have a shit ton of stuff to do and keep up with in their rotation (except maybe fury) that having stance requirements is more of a hinderance than adding flavor.

Buddies on
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Decomposey wrote: »
    10 man Shannon attempts last night... they would go wonderfully until the second dog went down and then an idiot DPS would walk into a crystal trap, or the Shannon tank would stand in a fire trap, or someone would DC. The absolute worst? On one attempt we wiped when he was at 35,000 health.

I mean, I feel good that my I got my job of playing with Riplimb down to science, but going to have to brainstorm with the raid leader and come up with ways to mitigate what the raid can do very very wrong.

Well there's two schools of thought here.

One is to kill Rapeface or whatever when Shannox is above 35% and just deal with the enrage. Then kill Riplimb when he's below 35%.

The other is to dps both dogs down low and then focus on Shannox. Then kill both dogs at or below 35%. This works if your healers can keep up with the damage that Rapeface is doing to the raid.

The question really just comes down to healing. Which is easier for your group to heal? Enraged Shannox or Rapeface face raping?

We just focused down Rageface and dealt with the enrage, the Shan healer said it wasn't an issue and it didn't seem to be as the tank was never in trouble. Then the DPS focused on Shan and got him down to 35%, switched to Riplimb, burned him down, than then pushed Shan. Once I realized the damn dog would actually AVOID traps when he was carrying the spear and trapped him before he picked it up, it was cake.

The trouble came once both dogs were dead and Shan was under 30%. That was when people started getting stupid, stepping into traps, and wiping us. Whole thing would go great, and then suddenly our hunter and warlock would be coated in candy, or the Shan tank would zig when he should have zagged, step in a fire trap, and go down like a nightelf in goldshire. Which wouldn't be so bad if I could TAUNT Shan, but since I've been playing dances with hellhounds, my aggro is nil and he just runs around loose, killing all the squishies, and saving me for last just to rub it in.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Normally I wouldn't brag, but with 0 PTR raiding, we got 3/7 on our first raid clear. Pretty exciting stuff.

10029496018236204349.jpg

I love this screen shot because that's me on the lower right. I was heading towards Rhyolith when they were like "Crap, we forgot the screenshot, everyone back to Beth." I just barely made it back in time, and the puff of smoke around me is mid transformation into Bear.

Edit: Woah holy shit that's big. Heh, my guild's forum uses automatic resizing of images and this one doesn't. Good to learn.

Edit 2: Go go photobucket resizing.

JustinSane07 on
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm kind of sad that we don't raid until Saturday.

At least that'll give them more time to fix bugs and the like.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    edited June 2011
    I think we had one more person in the raid last night than on Tuesday. Two more raids at this rate and we should have a full team!

forty on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This patch was about as solid as you can get. We were raiding Tues night with no issues whatsoever... well other than the fact that we were using an outdated strategy on Shan. Oh well. Thats what we get for not looking at the PTR updates religously.

Jubal77 on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, the one time we decide to be smart and proactive and give advance notice that we're switching raids to Wednesday, is the patch that everything goes off without a hitch and everyone is online and bored on Tuesday.

Javen on
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Need some advice, am I ready for Heroic Tanking? I just hit 85 last night, dropped a grip on the sword, and will get the epic tanking cloak from the new quest line this evening.

I know I'm not ready for the ZA/ZG heroics, but I'm thinking maybe I can survive the other heroics?

Wavechaser on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    Need some advice, am I ready for Heroic Tanking? I just hit 85 last night, dropped a grip on the sword, and will get the epic tanking cloak from the new quest line this evening.

I know I'm not ready for the ZA/ZG heroics, but I'm thinking maybe I can survive the other heroics?

No. Getting beyond the psychological issue of seeing your tank with about as much health as probably one of your casters, your overall gear set probably isn't going to stand up to well in alot of these fights.

I would keep normal dungeons on repeat until you've managed to pick your health up by 20-30K and you're not wearing any greens.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The average ilvl of your equipped gear is 275. You can get away with cheating the requirement to some extent with the lotd buff, but not by that much.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited June 2011
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    This patch was about as solid as you can get. We were raiding Tues night with no issues whatsoever... well other than the fact that we were using an outdated strategy on Shan. Oh well. Thats what we get for not looking at the PTR updates religously.
    Server stability has been uncharacteristically good for a major raid patch, I'll give them that (maybe because a lot fewer people are playing, thus less server strain?). But the bugs are pretty bad. Dying in Orgrimmar from spontaneous, fatal fall damage when I fly in to the repair guy? Good work on that one, fellows.

forty on
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ED! wrote: »

No. Getting beyond the psychological issue of seeing your tank with about as much health as probably one of your casters, your overall gear set probably isn't going to stand up to well in alot of these fights.

I would keep normal dungeons on repeat until you've managed to pick your health up by 20-30K and you're not wearing any greens.

There should be some crafted upgrades for you, and you can probably get some decent upgrades from TH quests. (I see a few 289 greens) Read up on appropriate reforging for Warriors; (I'm not sure what they do offhand, I know DK's try to get their Dodge & Parry rating about equal to minimize Diminishing returns) You'll typically be dropping Hit/Exp for Dodge/Parry. Do your best to not have any DPS pieces in your gear. Enchant everything, avoid the "but I'm going to replace it soon!" excuse.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ishtaar wrote: »

There should be some crafted upgrades for you, and you can probably get some decent upgrades from TH quests. (I see a few 289 greens) Read up on appropriate reforging for Warriors; (I'm not sure what they do offhand, I know DK's try to get their Dodge & Parry rating about equal to minimize Diminishing returns) You'll typically be dropping Hit/Exp for Dodge/Parry. Do your best to not have any DPS pieces in your gear. Enchant everything, avoid the "but I'm going to replace it soon!" excuse.

Warrior reforging is pretty much teh same as DK, though I've found they hand you parry more often, so you'll almost always be reforging for dodge. I can't look at the gear link here at work, but from what others have said you still have some work to do. Get rid of all your greens, buy any upgrades you can afford, and gem/enchant everything. And if you're wearing any DPS gear, scrap it, get tanking gear.

A DPS can cheeze it and get into heroics undergeared and get carried. A tank really can't, unless they're grouped with a bunch of overgeared friends running them. Because in LFD, no one is going to be understanding, no one is going to be helpful, and like as not no one is going to be good enough to compensate for any gear lack you may have.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    edited June 2011
    Fair enough... Blah, guess I'll start the normal runs this evening.

Wavechaser on
    edited June 2011
    i think the starter ilevel for heroics is like 332. you definitely shouldn't have anything below 316.

Go quest in Twilight Highlands and get your troll tooth and other stuff. Run Lost City until you get or buy an Impetuous Query off the AH. Run Grim Batol to get a regular Throngus' Finger; you should be doing Tol Barad dailies to get a Mirror since it's the best tanking trinket for warriors until raids.

Gem Mastery. not Stam. Mastery is your best defensive stat; keep parry and dodge pretty close with parry a little higher for Hold the Line.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Also, I'd fix your spec. Impending Victory is very blah, it either covers for healers not doing their jobs or helps you solo old content. Take Thunderstruck for sure; get rid of Incite for Deep Wounds.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited June 2011
    other drops in reg dungeons for you:

shoulders from drahga in gb
    helm from setesh in hoo
    neck from anhuur in hoo
    wrists from isiset in hoo
    hands from rajh in hoo
    belt from lockmaw in lcot

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would argue that if you are interested in gearing up fastest, normals are likely a faster road to epics than heroics now that Justice Points can get you tier 11, and you can run them faster for a large bonus of JP at the end.

Samphis on
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    you can't go into heroics until 329.

Since regulars provide jp, there's nothing wrong with running them. I think it's something like 30 per boss, with 70 at the end.

remember that jp nets you 359s now.

belligerent on
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    you can't go into heroics until 329.

Since regulars provide jp, there's nothing wrong with running them. I think it's something like 30 per boss, with 70 at the end.

remember that jp nets you 359s now.

It's 140 at the end now.

Samphis on
    edited June 2011
    Wow, thank you guys. Especially you Arivia, thanks for taking the time to lay all that out. I'm going to start a menu of dungeons to run. The great thing about tanking, is that I can basically insta-queue to any of them.

Do you still get the tanking bonus loot if you are doing normals, or does that only work for heroics?

Wavechaser on
    edited June 2011
    Just run randoms. Even stuff like BRC and Throne have drops for you, really, and like people have said, the extra jp will help tons.

And no, you don't get satchels until you start running heroics.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    i think the starter ilevel for heroics is like 332. you definitely shouldn't have anything below 316.

Go quest in Twilight Highlands and get your troll tooth and other stuff. Run Lost City until you get or buy an Impetuous Query off the AH. Run Grim Batol to get a regular Throngus' Finger; you should be doing Tol Barad dailies to get a Mirror since it's the best tanking trinket for warriors until raids.

Gem Mastery. not Stam. Mastery is your best defensive stat; keep parry and dodge pretty close with parry a little higher for Hold the Line.

There is not enough lime for that as a warrior. All gem sockets should be either Red: Parry/Mast. Blue: Stam/Mast, Yellow: Mastery. You're life expectancy is proportional to how often you block this expansion. Everything else is pretty much secondary. You can effectively start tanking T11 Heroic raids with about 150k health unbuffed, if you sit around 13-14% dodge/parry each and about 22-24 mastery. That should also be more than sufficient to get you tanking Firelands stuff.

Things to look for coming up if money isn't an issue for you (They are likely to be super overpriced for a while): Mirrored Boots are basically Best in Slot boots for this patch. Even through Heroic gear. Theck's Emberseal is also pretty good. In addition to that, just doing the new Hyjal dailies for three days, will net you decent boots, and a good neck, and farming Firelands rep to honored will get you a damn good cloak and a Best in Slot belt. Coupled with being able to bang out 3/5 tier in a few days of regular dungeons, you should be looking pretty good within a week or two.

Mvrck on
    edited June 2011
    all of the trash drop patterns require living embers

The UJ has the cheapest of any server going for 32,000g a piece. No servers currently have them for sale. O

I think it's a little silly to recommend them when he can get 359 boots for jp.

Also, please keep in mind, that he's talking about tanking heroic dungeons, not raids. None of your gearing suggestions make much sense in that light.

belligerent on
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    all of the trash drop patterns require living embers

The UJ has the cheapest of any server going for 32,000g a piece. No servers currently have them for sale. O

I think it's a little silly to recommend them when he can get 359 boots for jp.

Also, please keep in mind, that he's talking about tanking heroic dungeons, not raids. None of your gearing suggestions make much sense in that light.

The 359 JP tanking boots are shite. However, the Twilight Highlands faction Exalted boots are also 359, won't cost JP, and are better than anything until you hit T12 level stuff. And they're like, 70g or something.

Arryn on
  • GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The friendly firelands cloak is not great for tanks. I don't remember the stats but it has hit while the thrall one has like dodge/mastery. Thrall's also has more str but like 40 less stam. There is a 13 ilvl difference but with both options available to me I've stuck with thrall's cape.

There is also 359 bracers you can get with uldum rep. Agree with previous poster that the rep boots are bis at 359 lvl.

exalted trinket from tol borad is nasty. shit ton of mastery and a great "on use" for magic dmg bosses/mobs.

GooseyGoose on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well he does mention a nice set of boots just for getting into the Firelands dailies: Pyrelord Greaves

You'll probably get those long before you'd get the Dragonmaw rep boots, and even though there's no mastery the jump in stam and avoidance stats is very good.

Nobody on
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    True, Pyrelord's are pretty sweet for how easy they are to get. Most gear guides still list the Dragonmaw/Wildhammer boots above Pyrelord's though. Mastery is just that good for tanks.

And GooseyGoose, I agree with your assessment on the friendly cloak and did the same. It's really kind of a shame.

Arryn on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah he should still shoot for the Dragonmaw boots, these make a nice stop along the way so he can get out of the green ones asap.

EDIT: He should also go do the Thrall questline and snag himself the tanking cloak. Considering it's better than both the Wrap of the Great Turtle (BiS in T11), and better than the Avengers of Hyjal friendly cloak, he's not going to replace it for quite sometime.

I'm seeing some mention that the neck you can get along with the Pyrelord Greaves (expertise/mastery) is up there but I haven't seen a comprehensive BIS list yet for the new gear.

Nobody on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ishtaar wrote: »

As a Warrior, your reforge priority is Mastery->Parry->Dodge. You'll want to reforge off every bit of hit and expertise you can. Initially, blue and yellow gems should be socketed with the stam/mastery green; once you're above 150k HP or so, you can start transitioning your yellow gems to pure Mastery.

Salvation122 on
    edited June 2011
    The friendly firelands cloak is not great for tanks. I don't remember the stats but it has hit while the thrall one has like dodge/mastery. Thrall's also has more str but like 40 less stam. There is a 13 ilvl difference but with both options available to me I've stuck with thrall's cape.
    I can't look it up, but just from memory the Avengers cloak is parry/hit. Something like 220 parry and 120ish hit. I probably wouldn't use it as a block-based tank, but I went ahead and bought/enchanted it on my DK since mastery isn't really insane for DKs like it is for the shield dudes. I went with reforging the hit rating to mastery, even though there's a shitload more parry rating on it. Unfortunately my parry is insanely higher than my dodge these days, but that's just the way the itemization/RNG crumbled for me.

Also, I bought it on Tuesday so I wasn't even aware of what the Thrall cloak was. Oh well!

forty on
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Of note, the reason I recommended the Avenger's cloak, is depending on your current Dodge/Parry ratios, grabbing that, and reforging the parry to mastery may not necessarily be a huge downgrade overall. I lost literally only .5% on the combat table doing that. Conversely, if I reforge the hit I lose almost a full 1%. Not to mention in his current gear, he's even less likely to be hammered by huge parry diminishing returns. I'd have to run it through mrrobot or something similar to see the exact numbers, but it might be worth looking into at least. Can't do it from my phone atm or I'd give you guys the exact numbers.

And the neck is considered second best in slot behind the new Valor neck if I remember right. And it's close enough I wouldn't stress it til you have nothing else to spend valor on.

Mvrck on
    edited June 2011
    Honestly, in his gear the Avenger's cloak is just a pipedream since he doesn't even have the gear yet for T11 raids, let alone T12 trash. He should just get the Thrall questline cloak and call it a day.

Nobody on
    edited June 2011
    No doubt I'd feel better about using the Avenger's cloak if I weren't at like ~2400 parry rating and 1200 dodge rating.

forty on
    edited June 2011
    belligerent on
This discussion has been closed.