As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40k] Wargames should be fun and played in a place that is awesome with good people

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Umm, I just spent the past 5 months working on my Salamanders army...
    DSC00978.jpg

Although next up is DE for me :P

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So what heavy weapons should I put on my Scourges.

PixelMonkey on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think I decided to go with Heat Lances on my small squad, but most other people tell me I should use Dark Lances instead.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    ParielPariel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Those Salamanders look really good Sharp.

Also, I approve of multiple dreadnoughts.

Pariel on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have no idea why anyone would think putting Heavy weapons on troops with jump packs is a good idea. There's a reason scourges buy them for ten points less than every other unit in the book, after all, and it's not that they can fire them on the move.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Pariel wrote: »
    Those Salamanders look really good Sharp.

Also, I approve of multiple dreadnoughts.

Thanks Dude! Lots more pictures on my site if you're interested: http://shiftedmatrix.com/tag/salamanders/

Mr_Rose wrote: »
    I have no idea why anyone would think putting Heavy weapons on troops with jump packs is a good idea. There's a reason scourges buy them for ten points less than every other unit in the book, after all, and it's not that they can fire them on the move.

This was my thought to. But people have pointed out that you can just hang back and stay stationary in a good firing position, then redeploy using the jump packs if someone starts getting to close. I can see how that might work, but I think I would rather have the Heat Lances and get all up in and melt someone's grill.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dice and dead mans notwithstanding, a place to sit drinks is vital.
    Our last game at the battle bunker was an excellent illustration of this. There was just no good place for all those kroot, plus the army lists, books, and bottle of pepsi to hang out, so we were spilling onto the fantasy table next door just to keep this stuff conveniently at hand. You and Mich were up against the wall, so no place but on our table for your stuff to go. Those little holders GW has hanging off the tables are okay for holding a soda bottle, or an army list and some dice, but not much more than that. Having a space right there at the table that can accommodate the reserves, the dead, the books,and the tasty beverages would be so nice.
    Beerhams.

No.

WHISKEYHAMS.
    NOTHING could possibly go wrong with this plan. :lol:

I've got a feeling that the weekend we give this table it's welcome party, I'm going to peel myself off the floor the next day and find out that my liquor cabinet not only failed its cover save, but was hit with an instant death weapon, because every bottle in there has been killed.
    ;-)

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    -Loki- wrote: »
    mr_mich wrote: »
    He's mentioned that he wants the extra space for big games, and to keep drinks/dice/dead mans.

That's not a bad idea (and I feel stupid for not realizing), and one of the reasons I'm leaning on a table tennis table instead of 2 trestle tables. It's big enough to throw a 6x4 mat in the middle and have extra space, or use for Apocalypse, and still folds up.

That's what I use, a Ping-Pong (Table Tennis) Table. It's large enough to use for all of the above! And they're cheap!! (Very Cheap to FREE if you look hard enough!)

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm thinking heat lances just because they are assault type weapon so the mobility of the unit is still there.

PixelMonkey on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I think the only real reason they're in there is because the old rubbish looking scourges all had heavy weapons and GW doesn't like to invalidate old figures too often.

Anyway, yeah, built mine with heat lances. You can get dark lances on almost every other unit in the book, so take the AP1 option (same with reavers)

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    every time someone posts awesome paint jobs i lose the will to paint

how did ya'll start painting when you were newbie painters, i only have about 10 models to really "practice" on

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

how did ya'll start painting when you were newbie painters, i only have about 10 models to really "practice" on

Buy cheap, assembled models on eBay. Even if they're not your army. Get some AoBR boyz or something for stupid cheap, just to get used to brush control and how your paint feels.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I decided my marines would be the army I would learn to paint with. I took my time with every mini, and they were terrible to begin with. But by the end of them, I was painting pretty nicely, and once I started on my guard, they were all at least tabletop quality.

Black reach is great for getting stuff to practice on.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like Haywire Blasters on scourges. But I just like haywire blasters in general...

Plus they can deal with any Monoliths that thought they were safe from lances.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like Haywire Blasters on scourges. But I just like haywire blasters in general...

Plus they can deal with any Monoliths that thought they were safe from lances.

This.

In theory at least, I have yet to actually try it.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Mysterious FoxMysterious Fox Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Raslin wrote: »
    So, anyone know about good gaming around alameda/Oakland? Me and my wife just moved there, looking for a new lgs. I remember someone saying good things about endgame, I think.

If you feel like heading up to Berkeley, there is http://www.gamesofberkeley.com/. It is more of a general gaming store (RPGs, board games, puzzles, etc), but they do have a good selection of GW stuff and a basement gaming room. Might be worth a visit. Downtown right off BART.

Mysterious Fox on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

That's why Heat Lances are nice. They're Assault 1.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    Speaking of PA MDers Mystery.Shadow(Maybe) and I (definitely) will be down at the Bowie Bunker this Friday (July 1st). If any PAer is free and wanted to get in a game I had planned on Bringing down my Not fully painted space Sharks.

I'll be there around 1:30~2:00ish. Look for the white dude(doesn't narrow it down much) with the brown beard (also doesn't help) wearing a fine, fine brown hat(maybe that will). This'll be my first time playing Space Sharks. Please tell me that you've got the Red Wake himself in your army?

About how many points of man are you bringing with you?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I might make it down to Bowie...I'm afraid I can't play too large a game though, based on what I have assembled and painted...maybe 1k points?

Also, tomorrow's free agency for the NHL, so I'd like to be glued to a computer until like 4.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I might make it down to Bowie...I'm afraid I can't play too large a game though, based on what I have assembled and painted...maybe 1k points?

Also, tomorrow's free agency for the NHL, so I'd like to be glued to a computer until like 4.

I would like to make it up there but:
    1. I won't get off work until 3-ish.
    2. I only have 500 points.
    3. Girlfriend gets home from Ireland tomorrow.
    Still not ruling it out entirely though.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Spend some time with your lady. You two have...stuff to catch up on. So, we'll understand if you're 7 minutes late.

In all seriousness, I'm willing to do Saturday as well.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I decided my marines would be the army I would learn to paint with. I took my time with every mini, and they were terrible to begin with. But by the end of them, I was painting pretty nicely, and once I started on my guard, they were all at least tabletop quality.

Once you've practiced on them, you can Simple Green them and start over. Or, you can have someone pay you a quarter to paint them, which by defination, makes them professionally painted. -Time to send them off to eBay!

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Once you've practiced on them, you can Simple Green them and start over. Or, you can have someone pay you a quarter to paint them, which by defination, makes them professionally painted. -Time to send them off to eBay!

You're joking, but I sold this guy on eBay yeeeeears ago for $35. It's not even a GW model:
    DSC_0009.jpg

mr_mich on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Spend some time with your lady. You two have...stuff to catch up on. So, we'll understand if you're 7 minutes late.

In all seriousness, I'm willing to do Saturday as well.

She just landed in Boston and called me. I have permission to warhams.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, anyone know about good gaming around alameda/Oakland? Me and my wife just moved there, looking for a new lgs. I remember someone saying good things about endgame, I think.

If you feel like heading up to Berkeley, there is http://www.gamesofberkeley.com/. It is more of a general gaming store (RPGs, board games, puzzles, etc), but they do have a good selection of GW stuff and a basement gaming room. Might be worth a visit. Downtown right off BART.

Heh, I actually have a gig in berkeley that I go to a couple times a week, right next to it(milvia and center, roughly). I stopped in there once, it seemed cool, but saw no gaming space. Basement would make sense. I may check it out.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I might actually be able to get one of my coworkers, a guy who's never played warhams ever, to come on Saturday. He's jokingly mocked it before, but now he seems interested in checking it out.

If that's the case, I may be at Bowie Saturday looking to get in a small, friendly game to show him the ropes. Probably won't be up for another 8-hour marathon and drinking session though, cause I'm not sure if he'll be up for that.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hey Mich, if you want to play a bigger game, I'll let you borrow my Warhound :lol: How'd that be for the terror unleashed from the ruins, instead of the Doom? :D Seriously though, beyond the 3 russ box I'm trying to sell, I've got a buttload of IG circa 3rd edition codex. If you want me to bring some more sentinels, or hellhounds, hydra, russes, rough riders, or the like, I can lend a hand.

I'm going to be heading for the homestead Saturday morning, so I'll have to beg off from any hammering over the weekend.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I appreciate it Gabe. Looks like I won't make it down tomorrow, but Saturday rather, so it's a moot point.

I'm also unsure of what I'll do if my buddy comes and doesn't enjoy it at all. I don't want to drive down and back for 1 game, but I don't want to drag him through a bunch of shit either.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Also, I talked with Keen about this a bit, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

I want to branch into Fantasy, but won't start pressuring yall to do that until Keen can get some more 40k in (I made a promise :P). Most of the units I want to try with Guard, I have...so having a bigger army just means more of the same (except Valks!) No other armies really jump out at me though, so I may just keep my money where it is right now until we're ready to do Fantasy (or until new Crons come out!)

I even thought of picking some AoBR termies and doing a real cheap 750 point army, but the thought of playing it just seems blah.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    AgapiosAgapios Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

You're joking, but I sold this guy on eBay yeeeeears ago for $35. It's not even a GW model:
    DSC_0009.jpg

Honestly, I just did alot of painting. Some of it really bad some of it good. It just takes time to get the hang of it. Keep trucking and most of the good painters will give you hints and tips about what youre doing wrong in order for you to get better.

Agapios on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Agapios wrote: »

DSC_0009.jpg

Honestly, I just did alot of painting. Some of it really bad some of it good. It just takes time to get the hang of it. Keep trucking and most of the good painters will give you hints and tips about what youre doing wrong in order for you to get better.

The ultimate mini painter's secret:
    Devlan Mud

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    AgapiosAgapios Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh if we'e disclosing secrets of mad painters skill...
    Just about every awesome freehand design people ever do starts with a soft graphite pencil....
    For cereal.

Agapios on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Psh, Devlan Mud. In my day, we just watered down scorched brown.

Srsly though, painter's secret is:
    Rum and a handjob. Great way to get the shakes out.
    Getting one, I mean.
    ...and giving one.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My FLGS was getting rid of a ton of terrain (for free!) so I picked some up to add to my already sizable collection. Dang.

IMAG0155.jpg

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Anyone in the MD area need some Fire Warriors? I just found a box with 8 still on sprue, which means I should have 4 bouncing around somewhere assembled and/or painted.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Anyone in the MD area need some Fire Warriors? I just found a box with 8 still on sprue, which means I should have 4 bouncing around somewhere assembled and/or painted.

The MD crew in general needs less Tau.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I considered converting them up to be Pain Tokens. "How many tokens do my Wyches have? Let's just count the impaled Tau."

mr_mich on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Psh, Devlan Mud. In my day, we just watered down scorched brown.

Srsly though, painter's secret is:
    Rum and a handjob. Great way to get the shakes out.
    Getting one, I mean.
    ...and giving one.

At the same time?

see317 on
  • Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I get the biggest kick out of people being frustrated at Tau. It seems so contrary to what the internet spouts off all the time.

Also, makes me happy as a Tau player.

saluksic on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It's not even a balance thing, I think it's just that Keen has played against them almost exclusively.

For me, I just don't like vaginaheads.

mr_mich on
This discussion has been closed.