As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So, 3000 dollars went missing from my father's shop.

IblisIblis Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My father owns a car dealership/auto repair, and today he asked me to fetch him some money from a drawer in a secure office. Upon checking, I found... nothing. No sign of the money at all. Now, the office was locked still and the windows seem secure, so we really have no idea what happened. I'm not sure if we should call the cops or what. Any thoughts on where to proceed from here?

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
Iblis on

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    You're missing $3000 and you're not sure if you should call the cops?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cops. An hour ago.

But in all seriousness, don't touch anything and secure the room where that drawer is located. Also, double and tripple check that he's sure the money is supposed to be in there.

Does that room have a camera? Prepare to pull security footage if it does. Start pulling up information on who was working that day and who had access to that room from the last time he recalls putting the money in the drawer. Detectives are going to start asking questions like these so to speed things along, try to get them ready.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's your dad's shop. He needs to call them.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Afraid there's no security cameras, and we only had one employee (small business). Who my father just fired today.

And yeah, I realize we should probably call the cops. My father's just being stubborn on that for some reason or another. He seems to think it won't do any good due to there being no obvious signs of breaking and entering. I've been hounding him about it, but the best I've gotten is we'll report it missing if it does not turn up.

Iblis on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Iblis wrote: »
    Afraid there's no security cameras, and we only had one employee (small business). Who my father just fired today.

And yeah, I realize we should probably call the cops. My father's just being stubborn on that for some reason or another. He seems to think it won't do any good due to there being no obvious signs of breaking and entering. I've been hounding him about it, but the best I've gotten is we'll report it missing if it does not turn up.

Well, he's made the decision. His shop, his call.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, suppose so. I apologize, this topic was a bit pointless. Just felt a bit overwhelmed at the time and didn't think this whole things through.

Iblis on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You fired a guy on the same day that $3000 went missing?

Are you entirely sure that that guy didn't take it?

Also, was the lock on the door a deadbolt or just the kind of lock you find on most doorknobs?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well, he was fired right before we found it missing. So if he took it, it was unrelated to the whole firing thing.

Standard lock. Not a very good system, I realize. My father is unfortunately very old fashioned.

Iblis on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If it's a standard lock, then it's possible that it could've been forced with a credit card or some other simple device without leaving any telltale signs. I can get past the lock on my bedroom door that way.

Or the door was just unlocked, and then whoever stole the money locked the door on their way out.

Either way, the fact that the door was locked at the time you came in doesn't mean that nobody managed to enter the room. A locked door would only mean anything if you actually needed a key to lock the door, as with a deadbolt.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Iblis wrote: »
    Well, he was fired right before we found it missing.

I mean, I hate to point fingers and all that. But...yeah...

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Oh yeah, I've brought up those possibilities with my father. He holds that someone would need to know where to look for the money. I suppose I'll try a bit more to convince him to call the police about it. My mother will be out of the hospital (minor surgery) tomorrow, so maybe she can help me convince him to stop being so damn stubborn.

Edit: By right before, I mean he was fired outside the building, and my father came back inside and told me to head into the office. But yeah, our former employee is currently my top suspect. I just feel a bit silly playing amateur PI.

Iblis on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Definitely contact the police ASAP. No waiting for tomorrow if you can help it. Money doesn't have legs last I checked, if it was there somebody took it. I can't imagine ANYONE would just be like "screw it, it was only $3000, who cares?!"

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Definitely contact the police ASAP. No waiting for tomorrow if you can help it. Money doesn't have legs last I checked, if it was there somebody took it. I can't imagine ANYONE would just be like "screw it, it was only $3000, who cares?!"

Yeah, I do agree. But Esh is right in regards to it being my father's business and that he needs to call them if anyone. Unfortunately he's essentially retired for the night. So I'm not sure if anything will be done about it. Suppose it wouldn't hurt to try and bother him a bit more about it though, as I really think he's being kind of boneheaded about it.

Iblis on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I guess your dad doesn't miss that $3000 very much.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    I can't help but wonder if Dad took the $3000, considering how much he doesn't seem to care that it's gone missing.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    He keeps 3000 $ in a drawer?

Maybe invest in a safe or something.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Eh, my mother's theory is he's afraid that his memory is going and that he forgot what he did with the money. At any rate, I think I'm going to stop worrying about it. Not my problem I suppose, and not my concern if he's too stubborn to do anything about it. Thanks for the advice even if this topic didn't really go places.

And yeah, it's really silly to just keep it in a drawer, but as the evidence seems to suggest, my father can be really silly for no good reason.

Iblis on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I can't help but wonder if Dad took the $3000, considering how much he doesn't seem to care that it's gone missing.

Yeah, I kinda wondered that too. I mean, if this was a tv show, we would find out that the dad has a gambling/drug habit.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's pretty contrived, but your father might be testing you to see how you handle a situation like this, to prepare you for running the business in the future. Regardless, I'd say you should take any proper steps you can think of, calling the cops has been mentioned a few times and I agree with that.

Atheraal on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    Get a grip, people.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.