As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Google+ - Will it spark interest or run around in circles?

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh wow, in settings under "data liberation" you can save a backup of your photos, profile information, contacts, circles, stream posts, and Buzz posts to your computer. That's pretty awesome.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    Chrome extension for Google+ to get notifications in the browser.

Echo on
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Darmak wrote: »
    ToyD wrote: »
    I really, REALLY like the circles. I feel like I haven't scratched the surface of it but I REALLY dig the circles. Now if they can add "fan pages" or similar for businesses, it'll have everything I use on facebook plus more.

Wouldn't that go under "following"? Or just create a new circle for that sort of thing, I made one just for the wife. (for sweet words and naughty pictures, lolz)

I think that's true!

Also, I can't seem to upload pics. I get a security error... wtf.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm not going to hack together obfuscated e-mail addresses to attempt invites.
    • You're on gmail. You have one of the world's greatest spam filters.
    • It's trivially parsed, and spammers figured it out ages ago.
    • Even non-gmail spam filters catch most spam these days.

MKR on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Spam isn't the only reason to obfuscate an email address. Some people (such as myself) may not want their email to show up in search engines.

Tomanta on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Spam isn't the only reason to obfuscate an email address. Some people (such as myself) may not want their email to show up in search engines.

All the obfuscation in the world won't help there. If they can find whatever@whatever, they would find things like whatever(doot)whatever. Modern search engines are disturbingly good at connecting things.

MKR on
    edited July 2011
    MKR wrote: »

All the obfuscation in the world won't help there. If they could find whatever@whatever, they would find whatever(doot)whatever and any variation. Modern search engines are disturbingly good at connecting things.

That's why I did:

Part 1: <part 1>
    Part 2: <part 2>
    domain

to split mine up. Then edited it out once I had my invite.

But my email is my real name, which is fairly unusual, and I'm pretty picky about keeping it separate from my alias.

Tomanta on
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So far I'm diggin it. Now I wonder if I can convince all of the feet-draggers.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, I mentioned it on Facebook and the response was basically BLARGLEBLARGLE.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    edited July 2011
    I'm mostly annoyed at needing another tab open to post my one-line snarks to all the places I [strike]haunt[/strike] frequent.

Echo on
    edited July 2011
    Uh, yeah. Did a checkin from the iPhone and had my actual address pinpointed and attached to that post. Only mildly freaky there, Google.

Echo on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm in! Thanks to James and Marshall for adding me in! If you haven't gotten in yet, let me know I'll try to send out some invites too.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I like this thing so far. It gets credit just for being uncluttered.

It's biggest weakness is that everyone will not be on it.

Jasconius on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I was really impressed when I uploaded an old photo of myself and my brother and grandparents, it picked out our faces so I could easily tag them. I know this sort of tech is becoming more commonplace now but it's the first time I've ever seen it. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    Uh, yeah. Did a checkin from the iPhone and had my actual address pinpointed and attached to that post. Only mildly freaky there, Google.

Im pretty sure you can turn that off.

emp123 on
    edited July 2011
    Nice feature, you can see your profile as if you were one of your contacts, or as just the web in general.

Tomanta on
    edited July 2011
    Nice feature, you can see your profile as if you were one of your contacts, or as just the web in general.

Yeah, I was actually grumbling about how useful such a feature is for checking your privacy settings... and then I saw that they had it.

Echo on
  • Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Facebook has that too, but its buried in their standard sea of privacy options.

Skoal Cat on
    edited July 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »

See, I did not even know that. Because I buttoned down my profile tight on facebook.

G+ has that right on the profile page below the edit button. And when you edit the profile, each line has the privacy settings right there.

If I made a top ten list of reasons why I like Google stuff, their UI design would be at the top. Usually.

Wave was still a massive disappointment.

Tomanta on
    edited July 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »

See, I did not even know that. Because I buttoned down my profile tight on facebook.

G+ has that right on the profile page below the edit button. And when you edit the profile, each line has the privacy settings right there.

If I made a top ten list of reasons why I like Google stuff, their UI design would be at the top. Usually.

Wave was still a massive disappointment.

Wave was kinda cool, and I could see how it would be really useful for people who do a lot of group projects. Unfortunately Im not one of those people.

emp123 on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So someone earlier mentioned how you can have "circles inside of circles" or something like that, so that if you're viewing one circle you can also see other groups inside that circle. How do you set this up?

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Google + is insanely slick, I'm really hoping this explodes and wipes Facebook off the planet.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited July 2011
    The Android app aint half bad either, although it defaults to notifying you of everything which is a little crazy.

emp123 on
    edited July 2011
    I haven't gotten to playing around with the Android App. I'm gonna be doing a whole lot of playing around on my phone tomorrow so I'll fiddle with the App while I'm at it.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sounds interesting, would love to give it a shot if anyone can toss an invite to EDIT: EMAIL

<3 DrCongo

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    edited July 2011
    So one obvious downside to all of this is that our G+ names won't match our forum handles. Picking the PA doods out of the soon to be expanding posts we'll be seeing on our feeds will be tricky. Is there some sorta way to filter that sort of thing or will we have to just make a master user list here?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited July 2011
    You can add your PA handle under nicknames on your profile page, thatll help if someone is searching for someone, but I dont think itll change what your name shows up as in G+.

emp123 on
  • AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    edit: I'm in, gracias!

Atheraal on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Been playing around a little with this since I got in yesterday. First impressions are that I like it more than Facebook, though it won't be a fair comparison until more of the people I know are using it, I think.

So far, though, I'm liking it.

BobCesca on
  • PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I got an email from someone who tried the loophole, presumably from here.

If i click view post i get a 404, and all the other links dump me on the "Limited trial go away" page.

Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: In now, thanks guys

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    What this thing needs is a widget that shows your emails ... much like the chat is available as well. Yeah I know I can click in the "Email" part of the top line ... but I'd like to have everything in one place.

TheBigEasy on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I thought I read somewhere that you had to approve all the pictures youve been tagged in...which is a feature I love.

My brother just joined, so I tagged him in a bunch of pictures - and it showed up in my feed right away that I had tagged him, and says "public". Doesnt he need to approve that first?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There's a setting that allows people in "All circles" to tag you and get auto-approval by default. I changed it to just the Family circle.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Photon wrote: »

If i click view post i get a 404, and all the other links dump me on the "Limited trial go away" page.

Am I doing something wrong? rcknight@gmail.com if anyone wants to try again. Thanks!

Ditto on the loop hole thing, I had no luck with it though through my phone (sadly), I just get:

You are not signed up for Google+ yet. Please go to a desktop computer to sign up.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Photon wrote: »

Am I doing something wrong? [Redacted] if anyone wants to try again. Thanks!

Ditto on the loop hole thing, I had no luck with it though through my phone (sadly), I just get:

You are not signed up for Google+ yet. Please go to a desktop computer to sign up.

Loophole doesn't seem to work anymore. Tried it with my brother this morning, all he got was "limited beta for now, come back later please".

Also .. I think Google should sent invites to celebrities who are big on Twitter. Shaquille O'Neal for instance. That would provide instant content for a "You only follow" circle ...

TheBigEasy on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If anyone has an invite available, I'd love one :): REDACTED

edit: <3 DrCongo

exis on
  • PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Am in now, I've never really used facebook much, but I like the look of this so will give it a try if I can get some friends on board.

Can we set up a PA group or something?

Also, grinch/bigeasy, would you mind editing my email out of those quotes?

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'd love to give this a spin if someone has an invite to spare. cynicjester@gmail.com.

Cynic Jester on
  • DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    Wow. It's just so... SMOOTH. And none of the crap that's all over facebook. <3

DrCongo on
  • RennRenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If anyone has an invite, I'd like one.

Edit: Thanks. I think Google has closed the loophole though.

Renn on