As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40k] Wargames should be fun and played in a place that is awesome with good people

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    see317 wrote: »
    mr_mich wrote: »
    Psh, Devlan Mud. In my day, we just watered down scorched brown.

Srsly though, painter's secret is:
    Rum and a handjob. Great way to get the shakes out.
    Getting one, I mean.
    ...and giving one.

At the same time?

That's a z-job.

mr_mich on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I genuinely like fighting Tau. Not because they're easy to beat, but because of my old regular opponent in 3rd edition. Unlike his Space Marine armies, he would genuinely try different tactics and army builds against me.

As I was a student, I never really bought much to change my Salamanders, so every time he came around with a new Tau army, I had to think during games. Which is rare.

Like, he started out with a fairly standard gunline Tau army backed by a couple of Hammerheads. Then he tried suit heavy, with anti tank being done by Crisis suits with Stealth suits as support. Then faster moving armour (Ion Cannon equipped Hammerheads and Devilsifh with Pathfinders) backed by Broadsides. Every few weeks, he had a new build for me to play against.

What's more is neither of us had assault oriented armies. I had extremely short ranged Salamanders (Tactical squads with plasma guns and multi meltas, assault squad with 2 flamers), the only real range was my Land Raider and Predator. Fighting against Tau, trying to get close enough to use my firepower but not get into assault, against medium/long ranged Tau, using cover to best effect... Made some really intense games. Most went right down to the last turn before the winner was obvious.

-Loki- on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Anyone in the MD area need some Fire Warriors? I just found a box with 8 still on sprue, which means I should have 4 bouncing around somewhere assembled and/or painted.
    Oh! Oh! I need Firewarriors! All I have is Kroot (those firewarriors I fielded were all I have...), and I need some pulse carbines, so on sprue is good. I'll trade you that drink you owe me for them. :D

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited July 2011
    Lol sold! Any chance you'll be at the bunker Saturday?

mr_mich on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    About as good as rolling a 7 on 1d6. I'll be there tomorrow, but I'm in VA through the holiday weekend.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tau do offer several very different ways to play. I myself have only begun to branch out and try the super-mobile lists, opposed to my all time favorite, More-Firewarriors-Than-God.

saluksic on
    edited July 2011
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    Speaking of PA MDers Mystery.Shadow(Maybe) and I (definitely) will be down at the Bowie Bunker this Friday (July 1st). If any PAer is free and wanted to get in a game I had planned on Bringing down my Not fully painted space Sharks.
    About how many points of man are you bringing with you?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Speaking of PA MDers Mystery.Shadow(Maybe) and I (definitely) will be down at the Bowie Bunker this Friday (July 1st). If any PAer is free and wanted to get in a game I had planned on Bringing down my Not fully painted space Sharks.

I'll be there around 1:30~2:00ish. Look for the white dude(doesn't narrow it down much) with the brown beard (also doesn't help) wearing a fine, fine brown hat(maybe that will). This'll be my first time playing Space Sharks. Please tell me that you've got the Red Wake himself in your army?

Tyberos Will be Rocking it out with his retinue of Tyberos's fin. I'll be the Other White Dude younger guy as I am only 20, gonna be rocking my Games Day 2010 shirt with the Stompa and the Baneblade on Front. Will be around 1:30 if all goes well should enter with a group of people one real young guy (15). I have a list made up for 2k points but I plan on making some more tomorrow so whatever you have I can match (unless it gets stupid big 3k+). Looking forward to playing ya!

Ziac45 on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Welp. Here's a work in progress for my Raider. Going for a rising sun theme for my DE.
    raidersc.jpg

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Also, I talked with Keen about this a bit, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

I want to branch into Fantasy, but won't start pressuring yall to do that until Keen can get some more 40k in (I made a promise :P). Most of the units I want to try with Guard, I have...so having a bigger army just means more of the same (except Valks!) No other armies really jump out at me though, so I may just keep my money where it is right now until we're ready to do Fantasy (or until new Crons come out!)

I even thought of picking some AoBR termies and doing a real cheap 750 point army, but the thought of playing it just seems blah.

You should Totally start Fantasy. That way by the time I get back in Baltimore there will be some PAers to stomp on my Empire army.

Ziac45 on
  • chrisofthedalechrisofthedale Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Assembled my second veteran squad today:
    VetSquad2.jpg

Looks like I'll have to do some trading in the near future for bitz.

chrisofthedale on
    PASignature.jpg
    edited July 2011

I'll be there around 1:30~2:00ish. Look for the white dude(doesn't narrow it down much) with the brown beard (also doesn't help) wearing a fine, fine brown hat(maybe that will). This'll be my first time playing Space Sharks. Please tell me that you've got the Red Wake himself in your army?

Tyberos Will be Rocking it out with his retinue of Tyberos's fin. I'll be the Other White Dude younger guy as I am only 20, gonna be rocking my Games Day 2010 shirt with the Stompa and the Baneblade on Front. Will be around 1:30 if all goes well should enter with a group of people one real young guy (15). I have a list made up for 2k points but I plan on making some more tomorrow so whatever you have I can match (unless it gets stupid big 3k+). Looking forward to playing ya!

Also gonna apologize in Advance my army is not painted. The stuff that is Painted isn't finished, I've been trying to get them all Table Legal but I couldn't finish my last few guys in time.

Ziac45 on
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Welp. Here's a work in progress for my Raider. Going for a rising sun theme for my DE.
    raidersc.jpg

"Oh mother tell your children, Not to do what I have done
    Spend your lives in sin and misery, In the Raider of the Rising Sun"

It's always fun to see non-codex color schemes. :)

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I genuinely like fighting Tau. Not because they're easy to beat, but because of my old regular opponent in 3rd edition. Unlike his Space Marine armies, he would genuinely try different tactics and army builds against me.

As I was a student, I never really bought much to change my Salamanders, so every time he came around with a new Tau army, I had to think during games. Which is rare.

Like, he started out with a fairly standard gunline Tau army backed by a couple of Hammerheads. Then he tried suit heavy, with anti tank being done by Crisis suits with Stealth suits as support. Then faster moving armour (Ion Cannon equipped Hammerheads and Devilsifh with Pathfinders) backed by Broadsides. Every few weeks, he had a new build for me to play against.

What's more is neither of us had assault oriented armies. I had extremely short ranged Salamanders (Tactical squads with plasma guns and multi meltas, assault squad with 2 flamers), the only real range was my Land Raider and Predator. Fighting against Tau, trying to get close enough to use my firepower but not get into assault, against medium/long ranged Tau, using cover to best effect... Made some really intense games. Most went right down to the last turn before the winner was obvious.

That's how I felt, I loved how the units were varied and customisable that they could fill several roles, and unlike most marine models, it was possible to swap out what they had. Sure you can magnetise but I found just the slots on crisis suits were more than enough to stick something into and have it hold for an entire game.

I just can't bring myself to sell off my chaos in order to trade back or consider buying a new army at the new prices, especially when I liked how the army plays, but some of the casting on the firewarriors was godawful, and I just can't get around the look of the crisis suits. As in I still hate them.

I just wish it were possible to have several basic models, and have them be modular that their entire role is changed with how much gear you can swap in/out.

I mean is there any singular easy way to swap out the main/secondary weapons on any Marine vehicle as there is a hammerhead to turn it into a transport/long range anti armour/medium range anti infantry. Or for your elites (crisis suits) to swap out their weapons to be short/medium range anti infantry, short range anti armour? Even the firewarriors have that interchangeable aspect, in that you can easily say "these are bonded" or "he has a hardwired drone controller" to give the squad two invuln saves or two extra assault weapons, which is hard to see in any other army.

With the latter, the WYSIWYG in most other armies is much worse, where you have to chop off some (invariably it is a metal) dudes hand, try to superglue that plasma pistol onto the stump and hope nothing untowards befalls that mini. Hell, how on earth am I supposed to give my metal khorne champions (one of each pose from old metals) a powerfist/chainaxe/powerweapon/plasma pistol/bolt pistol, depending on the situation I'm going to face.

I'm going to stop because this is just turning into words, and I hope everyone knows what I'm getting/bitching at.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I have access to 6000 points of Space Wolves, 2000 points of CSM, and 1500 points of Necrons. What is a good fourth army that isn't too much like the others? Right now I'm considering IG, Tau, Tyranid, and DE.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Weathering and shading white is a bitch. I have no idea how my friend pulled it off. He says he washed out Codex Grey. Yeah, I tried that. Guess I didn't do it enough.

Straight: DE, by far!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited July 2011
    DE. Right now you have three hammer/anvil armies that are arguably bricks that walk up the board. (I know it's not that simple but still.)

Dark Eldar are much more finesse/fragile with the chance for horrible things to happen if your placement is bad, and I'd say are the most "different" playstyle to what you currently have.

Tau/IG are varied, and unless you have a ton of las in your SW/CSM, you haven't felt the joy of reaching a table away to railgun/earthshaker the field into craters....and either of those are so varied in lists, from mechanised to heavy support or tank or infantry heavy.

See whateveryone else has to say.

You should give me your CSM though. I mean, I can give them a good home if they're going to be neglected and all...

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited July 2011
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Weathering and shading white is a bitch. I have no idea how my friend pulled it off. He says he washed out Codex Grey. Yeah, I tried that. Guess I didn't do it enough.

Straight: DE, by far!

I tried that once, and I've avoided white ever since because it turns into a disgusting and dirty looking mess.

All I can think of is try doing a 'selective wash', as in take a fine brush with the areas you want the wash to be in, and carefully apply it into there. Have a couple secondary brushes that are damp but not wet to help blend and wick away the excess.

If you're making rust rivets or the like, just selectively drag or touch the wash down where you'd think water/rust/wear would occur naturally, rather than slathering the whole thing.

That and I always say look at chalks and smudge sticks from tamiya, those are great ways to age things that aren't the standard wargamer method of "base/paint/wash/drybrush".

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Dark Eldar ships aren't exactly something that would have rivets or anything like that. Really, all I can think of is just carefully shading between each panel and brightening up the panels themselves, like how it originally was.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Best bet is careful and gradual blending in that case, I thought it was smaller models and equipment, not a vehicle with those large curved panels.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Stragint wrote: »
    So I have access to 6000 points of Space Wolves, 2000 points of CSM, and 1500 points of Necrons. What is a good fourth army that isn't too much like the others? Right now I'm considering IG, Tau, Tyranid, and DE.

If you're not worried about rolling over hyper-competitive tournaments, I'd go with a swarm-style Nid army. Super fun, super nasty, not nearly as point-and-shoot as you'd think.

Play it enough and you'll even come to hate your Space Wolves!

Salvation122 on
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Stragint wrote: »

The answer, as always, is orks. All you have are tough, small model count armies. You need a horde of easy to kill stuff!

Heffling on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    In other news, armies with 3 Raiders, 6 Ravagers carrying 5 man wrack squads with a liquifier, and three venoms carrying 5 trueborn with 4 blasters can seriously go fuck themselves.

Solar on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    In other news, armies with 3 Raiders, 6 Ravagers carrying 5 man wrack squads with a liquifier, and three venoms carrying 5 trueborn with 4 blasters can seriously go fuck themselves.

Needs more lances. 25 is not nearly enough.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Holy... wow, i'm not a HUGE fan, but i really like that you can basically make an entire heresy-era force now:

contemptor8.jpg

contemptor11.jpg

Edit: link: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/CONTEMPTOR_PATTERN_DREADNOUGHT_BODY.html

Rules: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/c/Contemptor.pdf

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    SO AWESOME!

WHY THE FUCK WASN'T THIS THE DREADKNIGHT MODEL?!

Ugh, $75. Man it is awesome, but is it $75 awesome?

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That is totally $75 awesome.

He towers over a normal dreadnought:
    contemptor16.jpg

Sharp101 on
    edited July 2011
    ElderCat wrote: »
    SO AWESOME!

WHY THE FUCK WASN'T THIS THE DREADKNIGHT MODEL?!
    Because that's a re-imagining of these yabbos: http://www.solegends.com/citrt/rt7dreadnought%20armour.htm

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I love that dreadnought. Well, ok, I like it quite a lot. Love is a bit strong. What gets me hot though is the little paragraph at the bottom of the rules set, which basically says "ok yeah, Chaos can use these too, until we make some chaos variants".
    I'll take any chaos love that's going around, even if it is FW.
    leaf wrote: »
    I just can't get around the look of the crisis suits. As in I still hate them.

Agreeing with you here, which is why I ended up converting mine.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It turns out I will be at the Bowie bunker this afternoon/early evening, with a special guest. I'm at work currently but we should be hitting the road soon.

Hide your plastic mans. We rapin' errbody up in here.

Dr_Keenbean on
    edited July 2011
    You bringing your lady to warhams?

mr_mich on
    edited July 2011
    You bringing your lady to warhams?

No, Richard is coming with me. Actually he's driving. Like right now.

What I'm saying is we're en route and will be there soon.

Dr_Keenbean on
    edited July 2011
    Alright, I'll shoot you a text when my friend gets out of work to see if we can do an evening session.

I'm sad, I was hoping to show him a warhams game tomorrow.

edit: he can't do tonight

mr_mich on
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So tempted to start up a pre-heresy army now with all these toys from Forgeworld. I am intrigued by the large number of scratched out forbidden options in the experimental rules. Also the indication that a new book will have Chaos stuff in it.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    edited July 2011
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I love that dreadnought. Well, ok, I like it quite a lot. Love is a bit strong. What gets me hot though is the little paragraph at the bottom of the rules set, which basically says "ok yeah, Chaos can use these too, until we make some chaos variants".
    I'll take any chaos love that's going around, even if it is FW.
    leaf wrote: »
    I just can't get around the look of the crisis suits. As in I still hate them.

Agreeing with you here, which is why I ended up converting mine.

Thinking about it, is there anything in a 1:35 scale from gundam/macross/whatever that could be used instead? Or to mix/match parts to make hybrids?

I found this, http://www.maschinenkrueger.com/joomla/

Might work better as a proxied dreadnaught than anything tau though. I can see that dropship being used as a Valkyrie or whatever.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dang, those walkers are sweet. I like the name, too.

Its so cool to see the crazy stuff Forgeworld keeps churning out. My favorite stuff is always the smaller things that I could reasonably afford some time soon (Severn Loth).

Forgeworld is the best.

saluksic on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh god that Dreadnought. So good

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So monthly apoc game tomorrow. Points levels are not decieded yet, but I'm brining 5000. Black templars and Guard all infantry since last time was almost all tanks. Think my goal will be to charge the guy bringing the huge Tau army, or just get the entire other team to shoot me and die in a giant crater. Should be fun either way.

21 terminators bodies (10 assaults and 10 regular w/2 CML & 2AssCan)

121 marines (40 assaults all with meltabombs, 40 w/BP&CCW, 40 in 5man squads with bolters and a HW)

77 guardsmen (including 9 HWTs, 10 stormtroopers, a CCS w/MoO and a big platoon w/commissar)

Ogotai on
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm painting a Novamarine right now for strange reasons.

i will pics him soon, but he is not in very good condition.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    !!!!!!

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
This discussion has been closed.