As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Google+ - Will it spark interest or run around in circles?

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Man - quick word of advice since we're in on the ground floor and can basically help influence what 'the norm' will be.

Go edit your profile. Then hit circles (on the right under your picture). Then uncheck the box that says "people you have in your circles". Now, no one has any idea who you're "friends" with.

The WHOLE reason I avoided Facebook was the reciprocity (sp?) of it. I have to be friends with you, you have to be friends with me. We have to do that stupid, 6th grade sounding "friend request". The giant fights I see between grown-ass adults over "DEfriending!"

That's all gone with Google+. Someone I dislike at work puts me in a circle? Good for them. Now they can see all my updates, like they want (the public ones, that is). I don't have to add them to any of mine, and they will NEVER KNOW. Never have to read the stupid shit they post. Same goes for me. If I find an old friend I want to see what is happening with, and they'd rather not see my mindless jabber, I can still put them in my circle and see what they're doing (again, that they make public, or make available in whatever low-tier circle I end up in), and they don't have to look at anything of mine.

It's so grown-up.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    There's still some "block" button for passive-aggressive little wankers to use, but I don't know how it works - the worst thing someone can do by adding you is that they see your public stuff.

Would blocking prevent that? Since it's public they can see it anyway just by logging out and checking your profile page.

it probably blocks commenting on public stuff, now that I think about it.

Echo on
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thanks to the guys who sent out invites last night. I am in. <3

Need to get ready for work, but I'll start checking it out in a bit.

twmjr on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Anyone else using the Google+ skin for g-mail?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Lawful EvilLawful Evil Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This is pretty cool. The only thing that I haven't seen is a real "group" function. The idea of circles is great for targeting posts, but I'm looking for a yahoo/facebook group type of thing which people join and post into.

Lawful Evil on
    Do not believe that the impossible exists. That is why you fail.
  • colawarscolawars Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

yes, the more compact one. was using the videogame theme for years. this new one rocks.

colawars on
    3DS: 1049-1266-2726
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    IN!

Thanks for the invite!

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Go edit your profile. Then hit circles (on the right under your picture). Then uncheck the box that says "people you have in your circles". Now, no one has any idea who you're "friends" with.
    I can't seem to find this option. Where am I missing it? When I go to Circles, it just shows me all of the people in my circles and which one they're in. I don't see the option you're referring to.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Could someone spare an invite? EDIT: THANKS!

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
    edited July 2011
    Is the email "loophole" still working? I'd like to invite some people today, but don't want to waste my time if they've shut it down again.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I can't seem to find this option. Where am I missing it? When I go to Circles, it just shows me all of the people in my circles and which one they're in. I don't see the option you're referring to.

Go to your profile and hit edit, there's a circles... something on the left with a drop-down menu.

Tomanta on
  • KaimakaKaimaka Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Would someone like to send me an invite me
    Edit, Thanks Fats

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3349-7357-2013
    3DS Friend code: 3093 8504 2352
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is the email "loophole" still working? I'd like to invite some people today, but don't want to waste my time if they've shut it down again.

It appears to be, so far everyone I've tried it on got in. Did it again with Kaimaka and The Count.

Fats on
    edited July 2011
    Tomanta wrote: »

Go to your profile and hit edit, there's a circles... something on the left with a drop-down menu.
    Ahh, duh. I was looking for the dropdown first, didn't realize you had to click it first. Thanks!

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    bah really annoying you can only use the android app with the main acount synced to the android market.

Now I can't try out hubble until they fix this, which could be never.

Alegis on
  • HurtdogHurtdog Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This Google+ shit is a fucking joke. And fuck their black bar on the main google page.

And really, the majority of things Google does nowadays are fucking jokes, occasionally they get some thing right but it's always purely by accident than any sort of planned competence.

Google must be nothing more than a bunch of developers in paid hackathons trying to come up with cool shit, without any regard for usefulness. What a waste.

Hurtdog on
    edited July 2011
    someone's cranky.

does anyone else notice that adding people to circles via the notifications bar doesn't seem to work? I click the checkbox, and it makes it look like the person has been added, but when I visit my circles page, they aren't a part of the circle I put them in.

twmjr on
    edited July 2011
    twmjr wrote: »
    someone's cranky.

does anyone else notice that adding people to circles via the notifications bar doesn't seem to work? I click the checkbox, and it makes it look like the person has been added, but when I visit my circles page, they aren't a part of the circle I put them in.
    You sure? That's how I've added all of mine so far, and it's worked fine. Perhaps it just takes a while for it to update the circles after you've added them (beta and all that).

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    And one thing FB seems to have above G+ on privacy, how to modify the 'search for me' privacy setting or even profile pictures album visibility?

Alegis on
    edited July 2011
    Okay, another question. Let's say I have a circle for "acquaintances", but I want things posted to that circle to include those in my "friends" circle, but not vice versa. I know I can just add the people in my friends circle again into my acquaintances circle as well, but it seems like a cumbersome way to do this. Is there a way to simply include my friends circle inside of my acquaintances circle, but exclude acquaintances when I post stuff just to my friends circle?

I can tell already I'm going to be sick of the word "circle" before long.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    jlafave@indiana.edu

can someone invite this guy?

I want to preview this with a friend

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hurtdog wrote: »
    This Google+ shit is a fucking joke. And fuck their black bar on the main google page.

And really, the majority of things Google does nowadays are fucking jokes, occasionally they get some thing right but it's always purely by accident than any sort of planned competence.

Google must be nothing more than a bunch of developers in paid hackathons trying to come up with cool shit, without any regard for usefulness. What a waste.

Can you show us on the vodoo doll, where the big bad Google Man touched you?

TheBigEasy on
    edited July 2011
    someone's cranky.

You sure? That's how I've added all of mine so far, and it's worked fine. Perhaps it just takes a while for it to update the circles after you've added them (beta and all that).

Maybe that's it...I submitted feedback on it just in case it's a browser thing (Safari/OSX).

Also as to your question, an easyish way to do this on occasion seems to be: select friends, click view in tab, then select all and drag to acquaintances. there doesn't seem to be a way to automatically link them though.

twmjr on
  • HurtdogHurtdog Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Hurtdog wrote: »

Can you show us on the vodoo doll, where the big bad Google Man touched you?

Wherever the fuck Knols, Buzz, Wave, Nexus, Google TV are located.

Hell, I got a list, would you like to see my list in the order it's in?

Hurtdog on
    edited July 2011
    Are you a stock holder in Google and are therefore concerned with your investment that you feel the need to be pissy about their failed services? If you don't like them, just don't use them. Feel free to criticize as appropriate, but do chill out about it.

There's something to be said for a company who is willing to throw some random things against the wall to see what sticks, find out what works and what doesn't. They invest in their employees working on a lot of projects -- some of them turn out great, some don't. But the willingness to do that and let the public decide what it likes and what it doesn't is a positive for me.

twmjr on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thanks to DrCongo for the invite, but I think the loophole may be down again, if only temporarily. I got an e-mail and tried clicking through both the learn more button on the bottom and the view or comment on post button and hitting the join google+ button.

I'll give it another shot when I get home from work.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think a Google streetcar ran over his dog.

Yes, Google has had some missteps. Anyone who strives for innovation is going to have some. I appreciate a company that encourages their employees think out of the box.

Tomanta on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Evander on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Are you a stock holder in Google and are therefore concerned with your investment that you feel the need to be pissy about their failed services? If you don't like them, just don't use them. Feel free to criticize as appropriate, but do chill out about it.

There's something to be said for a company who is willing to throw some random things against the wall to see what sticks, find out what works and what doesn't. They invest in their employees working on a lot of projects -- some of them turn out great, some don't. But the willingness to do that and let the public decide what it likes and what it doesn't is a positive for me.

This Ars Technica article illustrates quite well how invested Google is in this ...

http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2011/06/inside-google-how-the-search-giant-plans-to-go-social.ars

What we have seen so far of Google+ seems to be just the tip of the iceberg and it won't go away like Buzz or Wave. They are in it for the long haul.

And I too like how they throw something against the wall to see what sticks. And so far ... G+ is sticking.

TheBigEasy on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Even if they don't get it quite right on the first try, I love that they're making privacy one of the top selling points of the product. Hopefully more companies will follow suit and think of proper privacy as something to keep in the spotlight.

wonderpug on
  • PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So in the interest of making it easier to work out who is from the PA forums, i've added a PA forum link in my profile (Edit profile-> About -> links on the right hand side).

Would be nice if there was the equivalent of a facebook group though!

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    I would love to get in, if possible. just doot bri doot thanks somewhere close to gmail doot com.

I hunger for somehting other than facebook!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Yep. Liking it.

But it's not available for Apps accounts. :x

Echo on
  • KaimakaKaimaka Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I just made a 'Penny Arcade Chaps' circle

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3349-7357-2013
    3DS Friend code: 3093 8504 2352
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Whats the best way to find you fine folks. My PA Circle is empty!

Also I wish there was an option for who you can EXCLUDE for a post. For example, it's a quadruple XP weekend on Red Dead! I want to make a post about that, public, so anyone can see it and I can inform the world and get some folks to play with.

I know though that my family circle has no interest in this. As do my co-workers. I wish I could select that they NOT see that, so that I don't clutter thier feeds with it.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Forgive my brazenness but I would also sure appreciate an invite, e-mail is angrypuppeh at gmail.

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jesus are they going with the invite system again?

Wasn't this like, 90% of the problem with Wave - no one could talk to anyone they needed to talk to to make it useful?

electricitylikesme on
    edited July 2011
    It's really not even an invite system. It's more of a quasi-invite email workaround that only works some of the time.

But yes, if they want this to blow up, they need to open it up to everyone sooner rather than later.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hey all. If some one can send me an invite I'd appreciate it. This is perfect for converting my band off of Facebook. I already use docs for sharing lyrics and editing songs. This would be a wat to get people talking

cprinstruction :-D gmail.com

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    But yes, if they want this to blow up, they need to open it up to everyone sooner rather than later.

I don't know about that. The invite-only slow rollout certainly has the potential to backfire, but in the case of Gmail I remember it turning the service into an extra-desirable thing of desire, and made people want it with even more frothy-mouthed fervor.

wonderpug on