As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boxing Quotation "No More"

CheBourgeoisNoirCheBourgeoisNoir Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, random question:

There's a Snapple commercial going around that ends with the word "namaste", which I thought I remembered in a story my dad told me about a boxer surrendering to Joe Louis or Muhammad Ali or some other famous boxer. I googled it and it turns out it's just the Sanskrit version of "aloha", i.e. a greeting or goodbye. So what the heck is the original quotation that the boxer says? I thought it was something along the lines of "no more", i.e. he is asked if he wants to throw in the towel and only replies "no more"

EDIT: Found it, please lock. The quote is "no mas", in a fight with Sugar Ray Leonard.

CheBourgeoisNoir on

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's Roberto Duran(t?) saying it, got his butt whooped.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's Roberto Duran(t?) saying it, got his butt whooped.
    Uhh...not quite. It's actually quite a common misquote/misunderstood situation, like "Play it again, Sam" and "Luke, I am your father."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Dur%C3%A1n#Duran-Leonard_II

The actual quote is "No quiero pelear con el payaso." (Meaning "I do not want to fight with this clown.")

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Here's the full text, he did say it but it wasn't so iconic as people make it out to be.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    However, he claims to have actually said, "No quiero pelear con el payaso." (Meaning "I do not want to fight with this clown.") Another version of events has him saying, in Spanish, "I can't continue". Referee Octavio Meyran, perhaps as incredulous as was the rest of the world at what he was seeing, asked Durán if he was sure, and Durán then said, "No más, no más" (no more, no more).

He claims it was different, but i think he is full of BS. I'd take the refs account over someone who got punched in the head for 30 years.

Dr. Frenchenstein on