As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW][CHAT] Patch 4.3 updated on PTR. Did your class get nerfed? InQQuire inside.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    And how many were gained when Cataclysm was released?

The number of people in WoW are below what it was before Cataclysm was released. I doubt that Blizzard really expected so many people to suddenly drop, they were saying how many they gained with it but those people did not appear to last too long at all. I've found since questing around that the old world changes are great for the most part and there is so much to see and do only the problem is to experience it all you would need multiple characters to get the full experience. Unfortunately with how the game is set up now it's basically rush to 85 so you only experience portions of the full changes and miss out on much of what the expansion was about. Plus it really didn't have much for those who did like to raid so they suffered horribly.

Odd enough Cata actually made me like The Burning Crusade more then I did, with the old quest world now often being pigeon holed in a certain direction that pretty much takes you from point A to B without any variation it's kind of nice to get to Outland and suddenly have tons of quest all over the place. Mind you having an flying mount makes it fun, if one had to run on a ground mount it would be annoying as hell which it kind of was before.

Cade on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I totally agree on that. The cata style of highly focussed and linear story based questing is great. The first time through.

But it suffers horribly on repeat playthroughs. I find the old style where you could fill a whole questlog then venture out in the zone and just plough through them much better for repeat playthroughs on alts. Less back and forth and easier to just zone out and quest. I used to really enjoy old Un'goro for that, you could pretty much grab all the quests then arc across the zone and do them all.

-SPI- on
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "Daddy, shouldn't PUG members be a little easier to heal and do a little more dps now that their JP and Honor buys the next tier of items?"

"Why, yes Virginia. They very much should."

"What the fuck, Daddy? What the fuck?

"I know dear. I know."

Annnnnnnd scene...

That said, I sure do like the beginning's of pug raiding on servers. I find it a hilarious and frustrating and sometimes even fun endeavor.

Straygatsby on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I totally agree on that. The cata style of highly focussed and linear story based questing is great. The first time through.

But it suffers horribly on repeat playthroughs. I find the old style where you could fill a whole questlog then venture out in the zone and just plough through them much better for repeat playthroughs on alts. Less back and forth and easier to just zone out and quest. I used to really enjoy old Un'goro for that, you could pretty much grab all the quests then arc across the zone and do them all.

Yeah I've definitely been avoiding any quest zones I already did since Cata since I've already done the "story lines" and to go through them again......I rather just have the kill twenty boars and go all over the map myself instead. So Outland is just a refreshing change of pace on that end.

Cade on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    so uh, I'm levelling proffs for the first time since TBC... Can I only get 1 cooking award a day?

Tav on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So

My guild, doing Beth'tilac

Awesome time HAVING ANYONE WHO JUMPS DOWN disconnect is awesome.

Just

What the fuck is that

Seems to be a huge bug this patch. We were doing Ascendant Council last night and people were DCing left and right during tornados/gravity wells.

Best I can figure, any kind of slow fall or levitate like effect (including player spells) will now disconnect you if you are jumping or otherwise in the air when it's applied. Yeah...

We managed to kill AC once we figured that out - everyone was told not to jump :) (also we had shit placement the first time anyways. Every fucking time tornados and gravity wells were spawned on top of each other)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I was getting Disconnected when I would apply Blood and Thunder to spiderlings Wednesday Night.

As far as Opinion on the Patch so far. I'm really excited to play right now. So far the Beth'tilac fight is a lot of fun to me. I really like the look of [my] Tier 12. The Tank Shield and Sword look sweet IMO also. I am a little worried about only having 7 bosses to work on. And then there is the Daily Zone. I don't understand it, I don't see any incentive for anyone that Raids regularly to do those dailies. Correct me if I am wrong, but it took a Month to become "Crusader" with ToC. 25(28?) of doing Dailies and you get access to a really cool Title, a Shit ton of New Mounts, A pet that can open your Bank, and a ton of new pets. Firelands, you have to do dalies for what, 2 months, to get acces to a bunch of inferior items and recipes, 2 pets, and 2 misc. items that I don't even know what they are. Is this a fucking Joke? Time Vs. Reward here is fucking awful.

And the fact that they made it so that these dailies will take the entire summer to do, added to them lowering the Valor cap so it takes longer to get all the Valor gear you need, makes it feel like they want this content to last at least 5 months. They better bring out some big fucking guns for 4.3, and release a 4.25 patch prior that includes some 5mans and a 3-4 boss raid. But they won't, we'll get a 9-12 boss raid in december.

Buddies on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If someone raids regularly, is there actually any reason to really do the dailies on terms of rewards?

Javen on
    edited July 2011
    I don't think the new dailies are intended for anyone who raids in any capacity. the pets and mounts and stuff are just for *those* people, casuals get their new playground in lieu of another 5 man, and raiders get their raid. Makes sense, even though it looks like raiders are going to plow this tier pretty quickly.

Straygatsby on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    We were having disconnect problems on spiderlady; people were getting dropped every time they moved up or down the web. It didn't happen to me, but I only went up a couple times toward the end.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    man, these dailies

I have like four characters who have some use for the rewards, but doing them on even two characters is starting to give me the fear

is there a list somewhere of all the rewards you get from the dailies? I thought there was one on mmo-champion but now I can't find it.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    there was one but it disappeared in the great curse crash

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Favorite part of the Thrall questline was getting ganked on that floating thing in Uldaman, rezzing up, and knocking about 30ish alliance off the platform at the same time on my shaman.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The daily epics are pretty decent actually, especially since most specs get an item after 4 days of dailies. Whether it's worth it for a raider to do the 150 marks quest might be questionable because of how long it'd take, but even then there's a decent chance for an upgrade.

Corpekata on
  • sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm not playing currently and I haven't raided in a long time (before cataclysm). But I love watching www.wowprogress.com, and wow, firelands is getting steamrolled. The US has had the patch for 3 nights and the europeans have had it for 2 and already 252 guilds have killed Ragnaros. It isn't surprising because they are overgearing it with T11 heroic but man, people are just plowing through Firelands right now. Which is a nice change of pace, T11 was quite difficult.

sumwar on
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Corpekata wrote: »
    The daily epics are pretty decent actually, especially since most specs get an item after 4 days of dailies. Whether it's worth it for a raider to do the 150 marks quest might be questionable because of how long it'd take, but even then there's a decent chance for an upgrade.

But, but... There's a mount! And the patterns are time consuming to get, so anyone getting them ASAP will be able to make some $$$ those first few days.

I'd like to think (hope) the attrition in WoW players are the geese that are offended that they're not being mailed epics just for logging in like they did in Wrath. Take the jerk from the front page of mmo for instance:
    So casuals will constantly be a tier behind for the rest of the life of this game? If that is what is actually coming out of your mouth I'll save myself the time and unsub now. What a piss poor vision for your game. There are normal and heroic versions of raids for a reason. That heroic difficulty was implemented so that the two segments of the population (casual and hardcore) would both have something to do. You are now bifurcating the raiding population AGAIN, by telling casuals that they have to run around in the left overs.
    All I can gather from this is: "I am unwilling to put forth the effort to put together a consistent, organized group of people to get the higher end gear and you aren't just handing it to me? Slap in the face!" I'm actually surprised a blue would bother to reply to something that whiny.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I saw that this morning, too. I was surprised that someone felt that worthy of a response.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited July 2011
    I saw that this morning, too. I was surprised that someone felt that worthy of a response.

Especially considering there is literally nothing you can say to that person that would not make them even more mad.

Buddies on
    edited July 2011
    I always just assume people like that started in the midst of WOTLK. I mean, man, TBC was a dry time for the casual soloist. Basically we had, what, 2 epic pieces we could grind out via tradeskills and that was pretty much it until the very end of the expac. And forget prior. It's only been getting better and better for the soloist/smallgroupist/angry recluse guy. I'm usually that guy, and I *love* the formalized tier behind for heroics model. I also love that they've taken to sort of officially r-tarding each prior tier of raiding as a new one rolls out.

But like some of you guys mentioned, there's just no pleasing that sort of person, assuming they aren't just trolling.

Straygatsby on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Basically that guy wants the devs to return to their mentality in Wrath where the normal modes were immediately puggable and the hard modes were for the hardcore raiders. For that direct argument, I absolutely agree with him. While anyone who blew through 12/12 last tier would find the concept of more accessible (read: easier) raids horrifying and offensive, quite a lot of people enjoyed it. My guild was comprised of folks who raided pretty hardcore all throughout vanilla and TBC, but Wrath ushered in a more relaxed approach that many of us found appealing. It's not surprising that a number of people want to see that make a return.

Halfmex on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Cade wrote: »
    Odd enough Cata actually made me like The Burning Crusade more then I did, with the old quest world now often being pigeon holed in a certain direction that pretty much takes you from point A to B without any variation it's kind of nice to get to Outland and suddenly have tons of quest all over the place. Mind you having an flying mount makes it fun, if one had to run on a ground mount it would be annoying as hell which it kind of was before.

You know, it's probably just nostalgia lying to me, but Cataclysm has really made me miss vanilla and TBC: the era when gear was not well-itemized at all, tank gear had spirit and int, good raid progression meant killing Ragnaros after like a year of raiding MC, etc

Maybe it was just because I played on RP servers

Now everything is so ... generic. No more neat gimmicks like robot mind control gadgets for use in Deadmines, no more fury warrior tanks, all of the low-level dungeons are a joke, etc

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2011
    normal modes weren't immediately puggable in wrath

well, naxx I guess

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited July 2011
    They've gotten a lot better at designing five mans and raids, and I don't miss the poor itemization or the million and one instance keys, but I do think streamlining everything the way they have has removed a lot of the opportunity to build community. Basically what they've done is give people a lot more opportunities to play by themselves, and the result has been that people play by themselves a lot more.

At this point I'm not sure that's a positive thing any longer.

I think the quest structure in the BC zones was better, too. I have to think there's a happy medium between 50 disconnected quests spread all over the place and the "on rails" quest lines they're doing in cata.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    normal modes weren't immediately puggable in wrath

well, naxx I guess

I pugged (wrath) Naxx all the way through before ever running it with my guild, because I out-leveled them. There was nothing really wrong with Wrath raid content except for Naxx, but it created the wrong sort of mindset, and can't really be undone.

Honestly, though, in regards to the post in question, I am a casual player these days. I play around 7 hours a week (or none, if raids don't happen). I didn't have any trouble finishing the last tier of content. Don't blame being "casual" for sucking, anonymous forum troll. Especially when you can solo all the gear you need to raid.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Fair enough, I misspoke. Not necessarily instantly puggable, but a bit lower level of difficulty in the Normal modes to allow more people to access the content. ToC pugs didn't take long to form after they were released, ditto ICC's first wing. Ulduar took a while and still remains the most difficult of the Wrath raids, which I suppose is why it's favored by most of the raiders.

Halfmex on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    I still wonder if the unprecedented stability was more attributable to Blizzard somehow doing something completely different than with every other patch or just a lack of population zerging the servers like with prior patches.

How exactly do you know the servers weren't zerg-rushed with people logging in?
    Not sure where I said I knew that for sure. It's just a suspicion.

forty on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Honestly, I was fine with the reply on that post too.

Current tier heroic: Hardcore
    Current tier normal/heroic: Organized raids
    Preivous tier normal: PuGs

is a model I have no problem with, and this is coming from a guy in a guild who gets one raid night a week that's frequently cancelled :P

Nobody on
    edited July 2011
    They've gotten a lot better at designing five mans and raids, and I don't miss the poor itemization or the million and one instance keys, but I do think streamlining everything the way they have has removed a lot of the opportunity to build community. Basically what they've done is give people a lot more opportunities to play by themselves, and the result has been that people play by themselves a lot more.

At this point I'm not sure that's a positive thing any longer.
    This is absolutely a corner they've painted themselves into and I've thought quite a bit about this recently.

WoW has always had very schizophrenic design. The leveling portion has been designed to be a solo experience from the beginning, to the point that it almost punishes you for attempting to do quests with others. To then tell a player that in order to enjoy themselves or progress their character after the level cap they must join a guild and raid is one of the stumbling blocks that they need to work around. The LFD tool was a great tool but it did put the final nail in the coffin of any sort of community development.

I think there's room for the solo player in the endgame, but it would require a great deal of development resources that I'd wager Blizzard isn't interested in expending.

Halfmex on
    edited July 2011
    Kainy wrote: »
    I'm glad the Unbound Pyrelords were bugging on us when we were doing trash with 5 people. Made those pulls take a NICE long time.
    Yeah, they were bugged for us last night too. As if you didn't spend enough time clearing trash in Virtual Boy-lands, they fucked it up and gave us trash packs that take 3 minutes of AoE spamming to kill.

Like I said in the last thread, they've replaced patch day/week server instability with a seemingly record number of significant bugs and glitches.

forty on
    edited July 2011
    How are those pulls actually supposed to work? We couldn't figure out how to get the armor off them, so we wound up just focusing down the pyrelords, then slowly grinding down the minions.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    How are those pulls actually supposed to work? We couldn't figure out how to get the armor off them, so we wound up just focusing down the pyrelords, then slowly grinding down the minions.

So the little guys are supposed to be tanked right on top of the Pyrelord. Every 20% health, he casts an ability called "Ignite" on one of the little guys, who loses the damage-reduction buff and then starts doing lots of AOE on the raid. The idea being, the DPS should switch to w/ever lil guy has the Ignite, and burn him down quick. Pyrelord should really die last.

At least, that's how it's supposed to work.

EDIT: If they're tanked too far away, he won't cast the Ignite, thus why they're all supposed to be tanked together.

Arryn on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

CC the small adds with anything but banish. Dps boss down 25% then dps the small add he breaks. Dps down to 50% then blow up small add he breaks...... etc

Jubal77 on
    edited July 2011
    Arryn wrote: »

So the little guys are supposed to be tanked right on top of the Pyrelord. Every 20% health, he casts an ability called "Ignite" on one of the little guys, who loses the damage-reduction buff and then starts doing lots of AOE on the raid. The idea being, the DPS should switch to w/ever lil guy has the Ignite, and burn him down quick. Pyrelord should really die last.

The Pyrelord can be stunned, silenced and interrupted(I think). And killed too quickly. Supposively 80%, 60%, and 40%, or 80-40-20, he ignites one of the little dudes. Just do a nice slow controlled kill.

Buddies on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think the quest structure in the BC zones was better, too

Wow, you really had me going there, missing the exquisite sarcasm of your post, until you wrote that. That really gave the whole thing away.

Fairchild on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Buddies wrote: »
    Arryn wrote: »

The Pyrelord can be stunned, silenced and interrupted(I think). And killed too quickly. Supposively 80%, 60%, and 40%, or 80-40-20, he ignites one of the little dudes. Just do a nice slow controlled kill.

So we found this out last night, but I think the way it works is kind of confusing. I never saw the pyrelord cast ingite on the adds. I did, however, see him cast it on players. I think the players are then supposed to hit the little adds, which breaks their shield. Unfortunately, we kind of pieced it together after we'd killed all of the packs, so we didn't get a chance to test it.

Javen on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "Daddy, shouldn't PUG members be a little easier to heal and do a little more dps now that their JP and Honor buys the next tier of items?"

"I know dear. I know."
    Annnnnnnd scene...

That said, I sure do like the beginning's of pug raiding on servers. I find it a hilarious and frustrating and sometimes even fun endeavor.

You know what, fuck that entire nonsense concept you've got in your head.

Firelands has been out for a few DAYS, so how many people saved up 4000 JP/Honor and bought tier items that didn't have them?

How many newly minted heroic people have JP/Honor saved up? Had some pug BWD people bitching at my hunter yesterday for doing 19k dps and I've still got some heroic blues, nevermind that the rest of the raid was doing much worse. Ugh. People are ridiculous in their expectations of pugs, but not of their guild members.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tav wrote: »
    so uh, I'm levelling proffs for the first time since TBC... Can I only get 1 cooking award a day?

on rare occasions the quest awards two. (1 in 5 chance)

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Aphostile wrote: »

"I know dear. I know."
    Annnnnnnd scene...

You know what, fuck that entire nonsense concept you've got in your head.

Firelands has been out for a few DAYS, so how many people saved up 4000 JP/Honor and bought tier items that didn't have them?

How many newly minted heroic people have JP/Honor saved up? Had some pug BWD people bitching at my hunter yesterday for doing 19k dps and I've still got some heroic blues, nevermind that the rest of the raid was doing much worse. Ugh. People are ridiculous in their expectations of pugs, but not of their guild members.

Yea I just wanted to say it takes time for people to gear up. Because 4.2 is a raid patch the justice points/valor points will now buy a tier higher. So pugging should be easier, in about 1-2+ months from now. It will take time for people to gear up. If you're waiting for future patches to make pugging easier, remember to wait at least 1 month after the latest raid patch has been released because it takes time to gear up.

sumwar on
    edited July 2011
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Witchdr wrote: »
    Firelands is a nice reminder of why i hate being melle dps some days. It seems like 90% of the things in that instance have melle ranged aoe effects.

Also fuck those turtles.

Yeah, they sure are loving fucking over melee this expansion.
    Yeah, where's that post Blizzard made a month or so ago about the melee vs. ranged trouble. Then they forge ahead with Firelands which just shits all over melee that I've seen so far.

forty on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I had 5k JP ready to spend on patch day.

Anyone who didn't have enough to buy at least one tier piece either weren't paying attention or were incredibly lazy.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.