As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Weightlifting Thread] Don't Forget: Slider Is A Moron

• Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You should generally start from a dead hang when doing chins or pullups. But don't just hang by your arms like a sack of potatoes. You should have your scapulae firmly retracted all the way through the entire ROM.

Sushi is a pretty decent post-workout meal. Plenty of good protein from the fish, and the carbs in the rice is also necessary after a training session. Eating so close before a workout on the other hand can be problematic, depending on the intensity of your session. Worst-case scenario you end up running to the bathroom to puke your guts out.

edit: I only skimmed it, but this seems to cover how to do a proper pullup quite decently. Chinups adhere to similar principles, just different arm placement.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    What's wrong with sushi? Isn't that a pretty good percentage of protein, for a meal?

Didgeridoo on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I am having trouble with, well I think my biceps. I am doing chin ups, 3 sets of 10 and I can do the first two fine but on the last one I get to 3 before I need assistance or I cheat. How low should I go? I like to go to hanging and then all the way up.

Also at the gym tonight they had a bunch of sushi (restaurants do this for some reason to advertise) at the front desk, my lift buddy stops to stuff his face with sushi. That really pissed me off since I am trying to get him into shape, pretty much like a personal trainer. I would say I don't know much, but I probably know way more than most real personal trainers do. Anyways is it bad to eat sushi right before you lift?

I mean common sense tells me that it is a dumb fucking idea, I wanted to slap it out of his hand and then make him do extra squats until he didn't think about sushi anymore. That didn't happen he just told me to hold on, it looks good. Fuck that pissed me off. What do I do about someone like that? They put no effort into the gym even though I tell them to look up how to do lifts and to research it to do better, he also has a few problems about lifts that I can't answer for him and he still hasn't looked into it.

Basically, how the fuck do I motivate someone who wants to be motivated but has the motivation attention span of a 9 year old with ADD on speed.

It's not a huge issue to eat before you lift. As long as you don't eat so much you're really full and you feel bloated (though a good set of heavy front squats will usually fix that for you). And sushi's pretty good, nutritionally.

And it's not your responsibility to motivate your friend. He'll either want to do it or he won't. If he's not willing to be serious about it, don't waste your time with it.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    Okay, so eating like 2 minutes before we do squats is fine as long as it is a small amount?

I don't want to motivate my friend, but I want to...direct his motivation I guess. He has motivation he just doesn't use it constructively at all. I think a lot of people think you get in shape by going to the gym, not by lifting weights and running.

Fizban140 on
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    And it's not your responsibility to motivate your friend. He'll either want to do it or he won't. If he's not willing to be serious about it, don't waste your time with it.

Some people just aren't into it and it isn't your job to be a douche.

big l on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    yesterday when i got out of bed my knee made a painful *crunch*, right below the kneecap, on my good knee too, and its kind of bothering me still... how did i hurt myself getting out of bed?

wat the heck

i hope this isnt a problem for squats or anything....

it was unpleasant

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2011
    big l wrote: »

Some people just aren't into it and it isn't your job to be a douche.

To be fair, if jobs in the field of being a douche did come up Fiz would at the very least get an interview.

Hell, I'd give him a reference.

Tube on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Anyone have any tips for overcoming self-consciousness at being the fat guy in a gym as I really would like to start using the gym at work

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited July 2011
    don't give a fuck

i mean is there any other advice that could be given

people ain't gonna judge you, they oughta be too busy with their own workouts

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Think that you are the hottest piece of ass on Earth and everyone is looking because they want a piece of you.

Works for me :)

Yogo on
  • Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Anyone have any tips for overcoming self-consciousness at being the fat guy in a gym as I really would like to start using the gym at work

Just go in and work hard, don't worry about what other people think.
    I think you'd be surprised how many people will respect work ethic of someone even if they are in lousy shape if they go to the gym and bust ass. You can't care what other people think, you have to be willing to go in and do work with a very light amount of weight for your size if that's what's appropriate at the time.
    Otherwise you end up the guy who goes in and never sees progress and does full body curls.

I'm a hell of a lot more judgmental of people at my gym that go in and don't work at it.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011

Just go in and work hard, don't worry about what other people think.
    I think you'd be surprised how many people will respect work ethic of someone even if they are in lousy shape if they go to the gym and bust ass. You can't care what other people think, you have to be willing to go in and do work with a very light amount of weight for your size if that's what's appropriate at the time.
    Otherwise you end up the guy who goes in and never sees progress and does full body curls.

I'm a hell of a lot more judgmental of people at my gym that go in and don't work at it.
    The only people I notice at the gym (I mean I do see the ultra skinny guy doing the weird machine workouts for 2 hours) are huge dudes working out poorly (really bad form) or people not really trying. Especially people fucking around and laughing, taking their sweet time at the squat rack. It is almost always kids. Basically just keep quiet, keep to yourself, don't fuck off and no one even notices you.

I was pretty scared the first time I went to a gym. I had studied online for a long time, read up on lifting but I had no idea what I was actually doing. After a couple weeks that was gone and I felt like a bad ass, I put a lot of time into research and watching other people lift (its not gay) and in a month I was pretty confident and all those other people I thought that they knew what they were doing were actually just assholes lifting with wrong form grunting loudly.

I would say most people at the gym don't know what they fuck they are doing, they either go to the gym and think they are working out because they are at the gym or they read an article on t-nation or a mens fitness get-ripped-routine or some bullshit.

Fizban140 on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm kinda the pot bellied guy at the gym. But the thing is, people at the gym are way nicer than you can imagine, especially the big men. Either that or guys at my gym think I'm cute (and there's a ton of gay guys at my gym in amazing shape.)

mrt144 on
  • Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It can be intimidating going in, especially going into the squat cage or deadlifting or whatever because it stands out so much from all the people on machines and the bench and doing horribly goofy shit with cable machines or doing power curls.

The reason I love lifting as much as I do is no one can argue with success and hard work pays off.
    Learn the lifts, go in there and bust ass and anyone that's looking down on ya is going to shut their mouth when after a month or two you're seeing improvement and they're still doing curls with the same goddamn weight.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    mrt144 wrote: »
    I'm kinda the pot bellied guy at the gym. But the thing is, people at the gym are way nicer than you can imagine, especially the big men. Either that or guys at my gym think I'm cute (and there's a ton of gay guys at my gym in amazing shape.)

Every big man I have asked for help from or a piece of advice from has been nothing but helpful and friendly.

It is amazing that I can go in on Tuesday and have one of my worst workouts, dropping sets left and right. Then I go in yesterday and crush my workout.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

The sooner you realize that literally no one at the gym gives a fuck about how you look the better. Hell I'm sure almost everyone is more concerned about your perception of them then they are about a guy who might be overweight working out.

Edit - Okay Slider not withstanding but I swear if you give even half a shit what he thinks of you I'll come by to your gym myself and shake you until that stops.

RabidDeathMoose on
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Got into the gym, did good form on my squats (aka I went deeper which I was definitely feeling) and did the bench which felt surprisingly heavier than in the past and was a bit harder. Barbell rows ain't no problem though, afterwards went and jogged/sprinted a mile, came home and dug holes and shit to fix a fence. Then in about 2 hours gonna end up playing football and swimming until like 7. Gonna sleep pretty damn well tonight.

END 'O THE WEEK:
    Squat: 120
    Bench/Barbell Row: 90
    Deadlift: 135
    Overhead: 70 (no progress, failed first 2 sets at 75 but next week got two days with it so hopefully I can get back up)

Oghulk on
    edited July 2011
    stupid crunchy knee

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Break it like a wishbone

Oghulk on
    edited July 2011
    Slider wrote: »
    There's a short, pot-bellied hobbit-like guy at my gym who I've only seen doing olympic/power clean and presses, squats...and more clean and presses. He spends very little time doing anything else, even cardio, and the guy is a chubbo.

The only reason I judge him, is because he continues to drop the fucking bar at the top of his clean and presses, even when he's only pressing 135lbs! It's completely unnecessary.

You don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

Tube on
    edited July 2011
    There's a short, pot-bellied hobbit-like guy at my gym who I've only seen doing olympic/power clean and presses, squats...and more clean and presses. He spends very little time doing anything else, even cardio, and the guy is a chubbo.

The only reason I judge him, is because he continues to drop the fucking bar at the top of his clean and presses, even when he's only pressing 135lbs! It's completely unnecessary.

I mean, I never clean and press, but when I do I don't drop the fucking weight when it's 6ft in the air.

*edit* I'm in a grumpy mood, because I ripped my only pair of jeans while getting into my truck yesterday. Meh.

You seem to be grumpy all the time.

mrt144 on
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
    edited July 2011
    Gonna do deadlifts for the first time tonight. Eating a whole chicken for lunch. Get big!

mrt144 on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I can understand being more self-conscious than normal because it's a work gym, I use my work's gym as well and I haven't totally overcome the "oh god I'm so weak these hot girls that I work with are totally judging me" thing.

Eh, just try to not give a fuck as everyone else has suggested. Easier said than done, though.

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Learning not to give a fuck about what strangers think of you is part of being an adult. If you're not capable of that, then that's all the more reason you should be going to the gym and exposing yourself to that feeling, so you know it and can crush it.

Hoz on
  • ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't know if it's just me but I always have mad respect when I see real overweight guys coming into the gym and busting ass, because I know its hard to break the lifestyle they once had.

Anyways, those who matter don't care, and those who care don't matter so fuck the haters.

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
    edited July 2011
    Gonna do deadlifts for the first time tonight. Eating a whole chicken for lunch. Get big!

First time this week, month, year, EVER?

ever since turning 18 8-):^:

mrt144 on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Look, people are probably going to look at you. The thing you have to realize is that even if they judge you that it really doesn't matter and they're probably going to forget you're even there because they're busy working on their own thing. People often think that other people notice them a lot more than they do.

One thing that may be helpful is understanding that it's really only going to bug you the first few times you go to a gym that people notice you. After you start on your second or third week you're just not going to realize it. Plus, you should be working hard enough that you're focused solely on the task at hand anyway.

I'm not huge but I've definitely felt like you've felt. In fact, I'd wager that most people who aren't gym regulars who decide to get into it feel the same, regardless of body fat percentage. It's just a matter of being self-conscious doing something with which you lack experience and it's pretty natural.

Or you could just try being ridiculously strong so that people can't help but pay attention to you as you squat all of the weight.

----

Where did my self control go? I know that eating poorly is going to make my gym time shitty but I do it anyway! Deadlift day today. Going for 345x5. I'm hoping that eating a normal adult meal now will counteract the non-adult meals I had earlier today. It's like I don't want to actually lose weight or get stronger, I just want to keep shooting myself in the foot.

Uncle Long on
  • JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I love seeing overweight guys at the gym.

You are there giving it your best to get better.

Everyone has obstacles to overcome in life. You are in the process of overcoming yours. You need a slap on the back and a beer.

Jyardana on
    edited July 2011
    Honestly it's just as tough for the tiny skinny guys to go to the gym. In fact I doubt there's anyone who doesn't have some kind of hang up with their body when they first start.

Tube on
    edited July 2011
    shit i still get a little nervous when I get into the weight room and its filled with the football guys and I've been lifting for 8 years now.

Jyardana on
    edited July 2011
    I still don't like doing lifts I know that I'm shit at in front of people, and I'm on first name terms with everyone at my gym.

Tube on
    edited July 2011
    I get ashamed when I fail reps. I had my first roll of shame yesterday after not benching for 2 weeks. But then I was like, "at least I'm not injured"

mrt144 on
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
    edited July 2011
    Same here. I hate benching (or any upperbody lift for that matter) in front of the guys at my gym because they put up well north of 300 for maxes and I'm at 245 on a perfect day

Jyardana on
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
    edited July 2011
    Jyardana wrote: »
    Same here. I hate benching (or any upperbody lift for that matter) in front of the guys at my gym because they put up well north of 300 for maxes and I'm at 245 on a perfect day

My gym is funny because it is so heavily male, and so heavily 18-35, and so heavily gay, but the gay guys aren't really into putting up big #s, rather doing insane 20 rep sets at like 135 on the bench.

mrt144 on
    edited July 2011
    I get ashamed when I fail reps. I had my first roll of shame yesterday after not benching for 2 weeks. But then I was like, "at least I'm not injured"

I posted a video of me failing a set of sitting overhead presses. I agree, it's incredibly humbling.

Failing dumbbells isn't as bad for some reason. In fact for some exercises it's kinda awesome to me failing overheads, curls, anything really with a dumbbell . But failing barbells makes me feel like "that guy" who bit off more than he could chew. I started using a power rack for narrow grip bench, and I might just start using it for regular bench. It makes me feel a little more confident that rep failure wont result in either: A. Being humbled B. Being injured C. Being unconfident in the future.

mrt144 on
This discussion has been closed.