As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Google+ - Will it spark interest or run around in circles?

• Options
    CpunkCpunk Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'd love an invite! david.l.cameron at gmail

I'll pass along more invites if I get it.

Cpunk on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think I caught up to here.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    I believe the reason they are trickling out invites is that they are still deploying resources to do a proper launch.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, someone was nice enough to send me and invite, how do I pay it forward and send out invites?

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Alright, I've gotten 3 facebook friends to jump ship. The virus is spreading...

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Suggesting a thread title change

Google+ - It's not Facebook! (Facebook integration instructions in OP)
    http://lifehacker.com/5817003/import-facebook-friends-to-google%252B-by-going-through-yahoo-first

TL DR on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Won't they all get mails saying they were added without being able to access the google+ service?

Alegis on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Alegis wrote: »
    Won't they all get mails saying they were added without being able to access the google+ service?

Depends on if the invites are open or not. They've been open and closed at random times. Then I heard some weird thing about google making an ad hoc queue for them. So who knows. Invite them and see!

Inviting is pretty straight forward. Add a person to a circle of yours with their email. Then make a post and share it either publicly, with that circle, or with that person and they will get an email invite.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Be it better or not, I just think FaceBook has won the weight of numbers war that means it can never be ousted.

Generalising here, but your Mum already has a Facebook. She isn't going to be signing up to another service any time soon.

If FB has any sense they'll just wholesale steal all the good interface ideas Google come up with.

Are you kidding me? This is why I am, and all of my friends are, so excited to use +.

We can leave all that 40-60 year old, for-the-love-of-god-water-my-crops crowd behind and not have to worry about them posting crazy nonsense to anything remotely political or drinking related that I post.

It is going to be amazing.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    A small update to the Google+ Android app, which is quickly becoming one of the top apps I use every day, was released a few minutes ago. The update mostly resolves login issues for those with multiple Gmail accounts (we've heard many of you complain about not being able to sign in because of that).

\o/

I'm also impressed by the mobile browser version which I demonstrated yesterday to some peeps who asked me about +. Quite better than the atrocious FB monstrosity. Clean and simple, although there wasn't much to really show yet.

Alegis on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    What's interesting is that they didn't only update the G+ webapp, they basically revamped their whole mobile webapp suite into one big app. You can access G+, Gmail, Calendar, and basically every other Google service right there from the same page. It's pretty slick.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I think a Google streetcar ran over his dog.

Yes, Google has had some missteps. Anyone who strives for innovation is going to have some. I appreciate a company that encourages their employees think out of the box.

I think most companies do this nowadays, especially in Silicon Valley. Google has a whole shitload of projects going on that you will never see because they never get off the ground really. As do tons of companies, many of whom will throw out products that fail miserably. You just won't hear about as many of them because they won't all have $100 million advertising campaigns also thrown behind them (not to mention the ability to advertise on the top of the worlds most popular search engine).

G+ will be around awhile though. They put literally everyone they had on it for the past 3 years. Its release date has slipped numerous times. Google hates Facebook. I think mostly because Google can't stand to see anyone succeed, but also a more than significant amount of current internet traffic is through Facebook, and... well Google wants traffic to go through Google. (that's mostly a paraphrase from what I've heard from current/former Google employees)

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm already getting intermittent hangups. I don't want a repeat of Wave's brokenness, so I prefer the slow approach to invites. But I'm saying that as someone who's already inside and having fun... D:

MKR on
  • Options
    HurtdogHurtdog Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I think a Google streetcar ran over his dog.

Yes, Google has had some missteps. Anyone who strives for innovation is going to have some. I appreciate a company that encourages their employees think out of the box.

I think most companies do this nowadays, especially in Silicon Valley. Google has a whole shitload of projects going on that you will never see because they never get off the ground really. As do tons of companies, many of whom will throw out products that fail miserably. You just won't hear about as many of them because they won't all have $100 million advertising campaigns also thrown behind them (not to mention the ability to advertise on the top of the worlds most popular search engine).

G+ will be around awhile though. They put literally everyone they had on it for the past 3 years. Its release date has slipped numerous times. Google hates Facebook. I think mostly because Google can't stand to see anyone succeed, but also a more than significant amount of current internet traffic is through Facebook, and... well Google wants traffic to go through Google. (that's mostly a paraphrase from what I've heard from current/former Google employees)

Then Google should shut the fuck up and buy Facebook.

Facebook has problems, sure, but Google hasn't created anything so far with Google+ that Facebook can't do 10x better.

Hurtdog on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    It doesn't matter what facebook can or can't do. It only matters what facebook is or is not doing.

Edit: and if there is a deficiency in there, google should feel free to step into it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, just like Coke bought Pepsi and Apple bought Microsoft!

Tomanta on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Okay, another question. Let's say I have a circle for "acquaintances", but I want things posted to that circle to include those in my "friends" circle, but not vice versa. I know I can just add the people in my friends circle again into my acquaintances circle as well, but it seems like a cumbersome way to do this. Is there a way to simply include my friends circle inside of my acquaintances circle, but exclude acquaintances when I post stuff just to my friends circle?

I can tell already I'm going to be sick of the word "circle" before long.

No, there's not currently a way to do this or have any sort of subset from a circle as another circle. Though it sounds like a feature plenty of people are wanting so we'll see. For now, when you post something, just make it available to your friends and acquaintances circles if you want both to see it, and only to your friends when you don't want the others to see it. No need to have the same exact people in two circles for the most part.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Whee, that'll be an interesting interface to design...Venn and the Art of Circle Maintenance.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    the hubble works nice, just like I expected. Real-time message notifications.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Okay, I laughed.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    CpunkCpunk Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    How long has it taken you guys to get an invite email? I think I got an invite an hour ago and still haven't gotten anything.

Cpunk on
  • Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If anyone has a spare invite, I would be appreciative.

d.t.warren at gmail.com

thank you!

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yo doods. As you're joining in on this upper level internet technology, could you guys set your forum handle to your nickname and maybe add a link to your Penny Arcade profile so that we know who's a PA forumite and who's not? It'd make it a helluva lot easier to find each other.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hurtdog wrote: »
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Hurtdog wrote: »
    This Google+ shit is a fucking joke. And fuck their black bar on the main google page.

And really, the majority of things Google does nowadays are fucking jokes, occasionally they get some thing right but it's always purely by accident than any sort of planned competence.

Google must be nothing more than a bunch of developers in paid hackathons trying to come up with cool shit, without any regard for usefulness. What a waste.

Can you show us on the vodoo doll, where the big bad Google Man touched you?

Wherever the fuck Knols, Buzz, Wave, Nexus, Google TV are located.

Hell, I got a list, would you like to see my list in the order it's in?
    It's so insulting when someone gives you free shit you don't like :p
    Anyone can spare an invite?
    gplusinviteme.now@googlemail.com

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My theory is that Hurtdog is Mark Zuckerberg.

theSquid on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    theSquid wrote: »

Scandalous.

MKR on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Im still a bit confused by my "stream", and who sees what and so on.

I also kind of wish I could turn myself off of my own stream. I look to see what people have posted and a lot of it is just me trying to invite various people.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    What's interesting is that they didn't only update the G+ webapp, they basically revamped their whole mobile webapp suite into one big app. You can access G+, Gmail, Calendar, and basically every other Google service right there from the same page. It's pretty slick.

Hmmm, where do I find this uberwebapp? The G+ app on my phone is only G+, didn't see anything new on my desktop or ipad.

Houndx on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is the invite loophole closed?

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You have to go to Google.com on your phone's web browser.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ah, there it is. Neat.

Edit: works fine on the iPad too if I change the browser id

Houndx on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MKR wrote: »

Scandalous.

zuckerberg_plus.jpg
    :|

Jragghen on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jragghen wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »

Scandalous.

zuckerberg_plus.jpg
    :|

I love that one of the Winklevoss guys is one of the 22 people in his circles.

theSquid on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I'm trying to figure out how or even if Latitude works with G+. I was attempting to check in to locations via the mobile app and it seems like there are places listed in Latitude that for some reason don't show up in G+.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I'm trying to figure out how or even if Latitude works with G+. I was attempting to check in to locations via the mobile app and it seems like there are places listed in Latitude that for some reason don't show up in G+.

Buzz items don't seem to show up either. I imagine that will roll up as time goes on.

Jollus on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, you can now join from plus.google.com atm
    Pretty slick, google, I like
    Or rather, +1

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Invites are back up I think.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    Edit: Got in, thanks folks.

Iruka on
  • Options
    Lawful EvilLawful Evil Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So what I think Google+ is missing so far.

1. Ability to post on other people's wall, or at least a setting which allows such.
    2. Integration with Google groups. Imagine opening your Google group using the stream option.
    3. Ability to be able to change what people see when they mouse-over your picture. Currently, it defaults to either your occupation/employment or education.
    4. An easier way of tagging people, both in posts and pictures.

Other than that, it's pretty much looking to be the next social networking giant.

Lawful Evil on
    Do not believe that the impossible exists. That is why you fail.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    What is a 'wall' and what about posting to it isn't achievable by simply messaging someone with something you want them to see and also posting to the 'public' group?

(never used Facebook)

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.