As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EQ] Free EverQuest Classic Server - It's Good To Be Back

• kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not related to Everquest 1 but are any of you playing on the official Free to Play Everquest 2 server? Wondering if it's worth it to make a Everquest 2 thread.

kyleh613 on
  • fructofuranosefructofuranose Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I feel like shocking the hell out of a bloated, long-dead corpse with an AED everytime I post here, but...

Got Jeebo finally re-geared from his corpse rot and shuffled his tiny feet over to Lake of Ill Omen! It's kinda funny to say, but I guess it slipped by me what a really huge improvement the graphics in Kunark are over classic. The textures are just so much more lively. Although it obviously looks like shit now, it must've been pretty crazy back in the day.

e: In regards to EQ2, the way they've handled the F2P really rubs me the wrong way as someone who played it for a while.

fructofuranose on
    GT: fructofuranose | Steam: fructose-1,6-bisphosphate | LoL: terrapin station
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I pretty strongly disliked the EQ2 F2P setup too, honestly.

Ranlin on
    edited June 2011
    Holy shit, the GMs here are awesome.

Someone told me last night they resummon rotted corpses, so I petitioned about a half hour ago about one 6+ months old, not expecting much. Instead, Amelinda came and summoned it to me, netting me a bunch of armor upgrades, namely a Charred Guardian Shield... and she was happy to do it.

fructofuranose on
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Still doin' this, still having a blast. I forgot how much fun it is to do a proper twink and go kill in strange places. Currently enjoying the upper floors of highkeep on a level 30 monk (not the nobles, just andom guards). The patrolling level 38 KoS mobs make it exciting!

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    edited June 2011
    Add Jeebo and Tonie to your friends list - 22 Cleric and 14(moving fast) Monk.

In a guild with a friend of mine and some randoms, but they're all pretty cool guys.

fructofuranose on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Okay so trying this out, what should my first character be?

rayofash on
  • SkayelSkayel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you want to tank and don't mind leveling 40% slower, I suggest a paladin or shadowknight. Warriors only become able to hold agro once they obtain weapons with procs (Obsidian Daggers to start off with)

If you wanna DPS I'd go with rogue or monk, with rogue pulling ahead of monk a bit, and monk having more utility. I have a 51 wizard, but they can't compete with the sustained melee DPS during XP groups. Mages and necros are also fairly decent at DPS, and have more solo capability.

If you want to heal, clerics are the best and always needed. Shamans can heal somewhat, but have much more utility with debuffs (slows are so helpful to any group). Druids are also a utility healer, and teleports are great.

If you're going into it solo for the most part, I'd go with mage, necro, or druid. Shamans also have some solo ability and like i said are wanted in groups. Wizards can quad kite and all, but the other classes are more efficient and have less risk involved.

Edit: I forgot to mention Enchanter which (to me) is one of the most interesting classes in the game with so many buffs and debuffs, and the necessary addition of crowd control to XP groups. Not to mention that they can actually solo very well.

Bottom line though, play whatever looks most interesting to you, because you'll be putting in a lot of time to level up and will have to live with that choice! :)

Skayel on
    edited June 2011
    rayofash wrote: »
    Okay so trying this out, what should my first character be?

Your very first character you probably don't want to be gear dependent, so unless you're dead-set against it, I'd shy away from melee characters. Casters you can virtually take into the 30s without spending a cent on gear and you won't be too much worse for wear.

fructofuranose on
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If want to put the time into learn pathing, shadowknights can fear kite fairly easily even with the crappy gear you wind up getting while soloing. (although finding preferably dead stuff to kite in an area large enough to kite them can be problematic)

Paladins and warriors are a little more group dependant for xp.

I didnt see bard mentioned but with no lag and a dedication to carpal tunnel syndrome you can actually kill super efficiently. of course little lag burps will turn you into a toasty ball

farbekrieg on
  • BloodfartBloodfart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So when moving i found my EQ titanium and am going to try this out. I bet the lag is bad cause im in China so cant play a bard like i used to but i need to know a few things.

1. is exp rate still as brutally slow as ever?

2. is there pvp?

3. are drop rates also as brutally low as ever?

4. thanks; cant wait to get in!

Bloodfart on
    edited June 2011
    Decided to make a Wood-elf rogue. Probably a mistake but I can always make a new character.

PvP is limited in this server right?

rayofash on
  • SkayelSkayel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bloodfart wrote: »
    So when moving i found my EQ titanium and am going to try this out. I bet the lag is bad cause im in China so cant play a bard like i used to but i need to know a few things.

1. is exp rate still as brutally slow as ever?

2. is there pvp?

3. are drop rates also as brutally low as ever?

4. thanks; cant wait to get in!

1. Yes, it's fairly bad. It always feels very slow, but hey... that's EQ.

2. There is PvP in arenas and duels, but that's about it.

3. Drop rates are about the same, not terrible, not tons.

4. Yeah just get in there and DO IT

Skayel on
    edited July 2011
    my god why couldnt they at least increase exp rate?

my game is choppy and i turn and run waay too fast. how can i fix it?

Bloodfart on
    edited July 2011
    Bloodfart wrote: »
    my god why couldnt they at least increase exp rate?

my game is choppy and i turn and run waay too fast. how can i fix it?

Click options in the main menu and change your graphics settings. As for turning speed, use the mouse.

I agree about the EXP rates.

rayofash on
    edited July 2011
    got it working and now my lvl 1 bard cant even kill the first bat, bee, or wolf.

did we always start completely naked and pennyless?

Bloodfart on
    edited July 2011
    Did you speak to your guild leader? I started with a dagger (I think), some food, and some water, and a letter for my guild leader. After I gave him the letter I got some armor for free.

rayofash on
    edited July 2011
    i definitely started completely barren.

Can anyone possibly give me some cash and twink gear so i can get started and breeze through the beginning? (which i;ve already done dozens of times)

Bloodfart on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Um ecause this is EQ. Its supposed to be that way.

Jubal77 on
  • radxicalradxical Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I didn't read through all of the responses - but I am more than interested!

All of your reasons for loving EQ were mine as well. I recently downloaded the trial and can't stand how you start out with a quest, which leads to another, and to another.

I started playing when I was 9 and played for almost 4 years. I loved every second of the game, and I wasn't one of those ego-maniac jackass kids that played and seemed "better than thou". I respected people and made quite a few good friends through the game.

But recently I've been thinking about how much I've missed it and really want the old EQ back, the one where I was just thrown into Kelethen and fell off the edge of the tree city until I figured out where the hell I was going, not sent to quest after quest after quest with the game controlling what I do, as opposed to playing it how I wanted.

I was wondering, before I went to find EQ Titanium, if this private server was still up with people. I noticed it was posted at the beginning of 2010 so I wanted to be sure. So if anyone wants to help me with that I'd be grateful :)

I'd love to start playing again so let me know! Thanks!

Edit: And upon now seeing the recent posts I see that it is still up and running. Are there still quite a few people playing though? I have to locate EQ Titanium, as I don't know where my copy is at all. I'd love to get started again :D

radxical on
    edited July 2011
    The server seems packed with people.

Everytime i've looked so far its had about 800 total on it.

18 noobs in gfay!

But seriously in original EQ im sure i started with a sword, and a letter for my guild master. This time i am utterly naked. punching bats to death doesnt work.

Bloodfart on
    edited July 2011
    Thank you!

And as for starting off naked, I remember starting off stark naked, no weapons, just my fists, and a note to talk to my guild master. Then when you did he gave you a very small weapon and I feel like something else, like a first spell if you're a caster, and so on.

But you definitely start off naked.

I'll be finding the EQ Titanium tonight and hopefully get started soon! :)

radxical on
    edited July 2011
    perhaps we can work together to fight the evils of bats, wolves, and the risen dead of greater faydark

Bloodfart on
    edited July 2011
    Upon reading the EQ Emulator site on getting it set up, will the Titanium client even work? Or do I absolutely need the discs in the flesh to get this running?
    Out of curiosities sake.

radxical on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I can confirm that you do not need the discs to install titanium and play this.

Jubal77 on
    edited July 2011
    well i made a mage on the server and he did start with noob gear so i then deleted my bard, made a new one, and the new one started with the dagger, food, note, and song.

then i dinged to level 2! sweet glory!

then it apparently takes a few hundred bats to level to 3....ugh

Bloodfart on
    edited July 2011
    I do thank you, Jubal.

radxical on
    edited July 2011
    Up and running. And as I said, I'm a Woodelf Druid, by my old name as well. Puppygal.
    Yeah, I know it's lame, but I keep thinking maybe I'll run into old friends :)
    Hoping to make some new ones :D

radxical on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hey its nice to see people still having fun on here. I just checked out the website again and read the account security stuff with the viruses and whatnot. Kind of bummed to see its only getting worse in terms of the community, but I'm sure that for most sensible people it isn't really a problem.

Shogun on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am a pretty badass duder on the Flippy Darkpaw server. He's an Iksar monk. He was level 3 but I found a rad group who power leveled me to level 7 in about 45 minutes. Then The badass dude gave me Master Wu's Staff. F yeah.

Oh by the way my monks name is Leontheduder.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    edited July 2011
    Come back Gandite! Jeebo is 31 and movin along nicely!

I found a guild with people playing mostly characters in the 30s who are all genuinely cool dudes. I'm sure they'd throw an invite to any newbie Penny Arcaders though, so send Jeebo a tell sometime and I'll get ya in.

fructofuranose on
  • MyCoCoMyCoCo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hello friends. Jeebo man I never thought you would rise from the Monk room in Guk. It's nice to see your soccerlegs carrying you around to enjoy Kunark though, I keep getting tempted just to come look around for old times sake.

Also just checked the main page, laughing at the levels of espionage on an emu sever in about a year period. Good god.

MyCoCo on
    edited July 2011
    Yay Drut!

Actually, Amelinda summoned my oldass corpse from the bottom of Guk with all my gear on it... Sure makes me feel dumb for quitting about it earlier. I'm having fun with the server again because I have a reliable group of guys to play with, otherwise I'm thinking a Cleric would be hell.

fructofuranose on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I need a server with exp boosted if I'm going to play. I spent hours and hours playing the game way back when, but I don't have that kind of time anymore :P

Also, why do i not get the updated models even though I have them all selected in my options?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • MyCoCoMyCoCo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Exp boosts tend to only be on holiday weekends or events sadly, or when things go wrong, rollbacks /rage. The journey is all the fun though, Brian said on the first page of this thread that endgame is mostly full of horrible people, it's likely still true.

If you're one of those crazy people who prefer Luclin models you're out of luck, devs are fairly adamant about never turning them on.

Glad you are enjoying it again sir Jeebo, regular people to play with this much more fun. What areas are you guys leveling in?

Had some good times in the early days when everyone was about and then later on when it was mostly just Gandite, Artulas, Eepa and I. Probably made a mistake in picking Warrior (dumb because even the game warned me). Was fun actually learning how to play a tank and felt like I had it sort of down fairly well toward the end though, gave me a measure of respect for people who did it with dedication on live, as I just sat on my arse and cast spells.

MyCoCo on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I had a wonderful time with the crew we had. I have fond memories of my vacation days spent grinding a wizard through that hell. I still think it was worth it for the mobility it offered me and my mates, and I could fuck some shit up in Sol B with some AEs. Also it was sort of a rare class. It was such a grand experience doing it all over again but starting in classic with everyone else. It was plenty of hell, and loads of fun times. At some point I'm going to England to hang out with Drut as he is hands down, without question, the best EQ mate I've ever had. I still talk to and hang with people from Povar, but nobody holds a candle to that troll whose name is turd spelled backwards.

I still think its amazing that even today a game from a decade ago can draw people together to share in the fun, misery, and commiseration. It really is impressive.

Shogun on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    In-Game now as Bloodshed, Barbarian Rogue!

Bloodshed on
    Bumping this so someone possibly joins the new awesome PVP server Tallon/Vallon Zek.

Exp rate is high so you dont have to invest your life into getting some action.

Also only old world, no expansions! serverwide ooc and serverwide pvp kill messages.

• BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    Well, I moved over to EQTitan. Great server, lot of good people, 65 level cap, lots of Boxers but people seem very willing to help out.
    Having a great time with my little army: Dwarf Warrior, Dwarf Rogue, Dwarf Cleric, Halfling Druid, Halfling Ranger, Wood Elf Bard.
    Too bad no shorties could be a Bard =(

• BloodMuffinBloodMuffin Registered User regular
    I don't know if anyone is still playing on P99 here, possibly a few spread out. I had a 48 enchanter long ago, can't remember my account name or password so I started a new account.

Currently grinding it out solo with no guild yet. If anyone has quit and has no use for their items I could use anything, I have some TF2 Hats if you want to exchange. Not looking forward to this long grind with so few on at night.

This discussion has been closed.