As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TF2] is now FREE!! You have no excuse not to play. Meet the Medic in OP!!

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Steel Fists: "Moose and Squirrel"
    That's a pretty big typo. I believe that should be

"Moose and Sqvirrel"

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Vicktor wrote: »
    I don't get crates. They're $2.49 for the keys, are odds are you're going to get $0.49 item out. I figured they'd at least go to the trouble of giving you equal value out. No more keys for me (except for maybe the summer ones...)

I saw a guy today trading for crates and opening them immediately. He must have opened around 5-10 crates in a single match.

Just... what the hell guy

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Holy Mackerel: "Kilgore Trout"

Jakorian on
  • Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ugh, Saharan Spy set is difficult to use. It's amazing how useful that extra half second of distance you can cover while disguised makes. When chainstabbing works, it works beautifully, but it rarely happens.

Serious_Scrub on
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So my Steam handle is The Blind People, and I've amassed a few name and description tags from drops. I need blind puns people. I've already decided to do something with the soldiers riding crop as a reference to a cane, but I can't really think of anything for the other weapons.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    Well, I think four years is a long enough time to experiment. Critical hits in an FPS are actually a bad idea! I guess we probably could have known that from the start, but let's salute Valve for their scientific gumption.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Well, I think four years is a long enough time to experiment. Random critical hits in an FPS are actually a bad idea! I guess we probably could have known that from the start, but let's salute Valve for their scientific gumption.

You forgot one word.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well, I think four years is a long enough time to experiment. Random critical hits in an FPS are actually a bad idea! I guess we probably could have known that from the start, but let's salute Valve for their scientific gumption.

You forgot one word.

A very important word to forget.

It seems to be getting worse, with Valve adding in items that feature enough power to kill classes with 125 or 150 health instantly. Demomen charging and getting instant crits? Scouts running around to build up minicrit power for their soda poppers? Awesome! Let's reward shitty playstyles with cheesy new abilities!

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    So my Steam handle is The Blind People, and I've amassed a few name and description tags from drops. I need blind puns people. I've already decided to do something with the soldiers riding crop as a reference to a cane, but I can't really think of anything for the other weapons.
    Pipe Launcher or Huntsman: The Blind Luck.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    ebotastic wrote: »

You forgot one word.

It seems to be getting worse, with Valve adding in items that feature enough power to kill classes with 125 or 150 health instantly. Demomen charging and getting instant crits? Scouts running around to build up minicrit power for their soda poppers? Awesome! Let's reward shitty playstyles with cheesy new abilities!
    I don't have a problem with the shield because it's not like pipes or stickies are more fun to deal with.

The soda popper I haven't seen too much, but the mechanic really needs to be something you actually work for. Just running can easily fill you up walking from spawn, and it's easy to pace back-and-forth.

Random crits are just becoming more irritating when you have shit like the Enforcer.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    i just join a nice pubbie server and occasionally refresh

has worked for me!

yeah same, or I tool around with my crafting screen and refresh every so often to see what's happening

or I message someone in the server to let me know when the map is changing

that's how I got in earlier today, anyway

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Natascha = Black Betty (bam ba lam)

Stately Steel Toe = Kuribo's Shoe

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, it's been a while since I palyed. I've noticed the demoman charge now allows crits at the start AND the end.

Surely this isn't an intentional change?

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It isn't. Or at least, it is completely undocumented. It appears to be a bug caused by the persian persuader or the wee booties. But yes, it is fucking stupid and I look forward to its removal so we can go back to have 0 demoknights again.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    ebotastic wrote: »

You forgot one word.

I don't have a problem with the shield because it's not like pipes or stickies are more fun to deal with.

The soda popper I haven't seen too much, but the mechanic really needs to be something you actually work for. Just running can easily fill you up walking from spawn, and it's easy to pace back-and-forth.

Random crits are just becoming more irritating when you have shit like the Enforcer.

Are you trying to imply that it is not awesome when a non direct combat class (the spy), can two shot a combat class? (the demoman).

Morkath on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It does, what, about 70 damage point blank? Perhaps it needs a drawback a bit more significant than taking all of half an additional second to cloak

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I got the Police Helmet from the new crate. Not the worst outcome possible.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    It does, what, about 70 damage point blank? Perhaps it needs a drawback a bit more significant than taking all of half an additional second to cloak

It has no drawback at all if you are using the DR. You can seriously just play combat gun spy and use the DR to never, ever die.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    What have people been naming their items?

Medigun: "Together we are invincible"
    Minigun: Bullet-based anti-baby device
    Kritzkrieg: "Timing is critical"
    Soldier's whip: "Let's get cracking"

Degreaser: "Spaceballs: The Flamethrower" w/ description text "The kids love this one."

But this reminds me of something I've been meaning to rant about. I really fucking hate melee in this game. It's so fickle. I like the Degreaser/Axstinguisher combo, but I'm so tired of getting hits that don't connect. It's like phantom sniper headshots but worse, because you'll hear the smacking noise of a melee hit connecting, but no damage will be done.

So now I'm using the Backburner more and that makes me feel like I wasted those tags.

This is why I have no interest in the new demoman set, despite how effective it seems. I know I'd just get a bunch more phantom hits to frustrate me more.

Adus on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm stuck in a rut. I'm bored of the classes I assume I'm good at (Gunslinger Engi, Medic) but I really can't be bothered being ineffective all the time while learning a new one.

How long just the soldier take to learn? I can rocket jump and shit but not juggle and airshot.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Shoot rockets at the enemies feet.
    Bam, you're playing Soldier.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Still shows 24/25 for me.

I might have to restart the server to get it to stick.

The biggest problem was this was the fact that you couldn't auto-join when a spot was available do to getting owned by the server browser. :)

Looks like the restart *did* make it stick. Changed maps a few times and it didn't go back to 25, so I'm calling it fixed. Maybe.

Also, for those who were on last night, there was a map with a quite... special payload cart. It actually got updated and has a real name now of Saxton Hills, in case you wonder where it disappeared to in the votes.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Blurbl wrote: »
    I'm stuck in a rut. I'm bored of the classes I assume I'm good at (Gunslinger Engi, Medic) but I really can't be bothered being ineffective all the time while learning a new one.

How long just the soldier take to learn? I can rocket jump and shit but not juggle and airshot.

Being able to juggle and airshot is in no way required to be a good soldier outside of competitive play. Just shoot at people's feet and you will be golden.

mEEksa on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well, I think four years is a long enough time to experiment. Critical hits in an FPS are actually a bad idea! I guess we probably could have known that from the start, but let's salute Valve for their scientific gumption.

Nah they're a good one.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Hey YouHey You Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Xzzy/Crash I was going to work on cp_stoneyridge some today/tomorrow unless you guys are working on it. Upload it if you have a chance. Not sure who has the latest. Thanks.

Hey You on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I was on a pub server as Soldier while defending on pl_hoodoo. Killed an engineer who booked it across the map to one of the tunnels near the first checkpoint. I then had to kill his two mini-sentries. The engineer was dead, and there were two mini-sentries sitting there, both shooting me. I killed one, which was by that engineer, and the other kept shooting. I killed it, and the kill dialogue said it was by the same guy, and I got credit for 2 destructions.

Is this even possible?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    korodullin wrote: »
    So I was on a pub server as Soldier while defending on pl_hoodoo. Killed an engineer who booked it across the map to one of the tunnels near the first checkpoint. I then had to kill his two mini-sentries. The engineer was dead, and there were two mini-sentries sitting there, both shooting me. I killed one, which was by that engineer, and the other kept shooting. I killed it, and the kill dialogue said it was by the same guy, and I got credit for 2 destructions.

Is this even possible?

Some servers have stupid mods that allow for such retarded bullshit.

Peewi on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think the Enforcer's drawback should be -20% energy capacity or something. It was an insane oversight to give it zero downside for the DR which is what you want to use for a combat Spy anyway.

Zek on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rami wrote: »

It has no drawback at all if you are using the DR. You can seriously just play combat gun spy and use the DR to never, ever die.

Against incompetent people maybe

Usually Toons just juggles me in the air while I'm on fire and then kills me

You know

Like good pyros

Course if the spy is that close enough to use the enforcer he could

You know

Stab you most of the time if he was better

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's true!

But also the enforcer has killed me, thus it is op.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The backburner kills me more than anything else as a spy

Thus it is op

The most terrible thing is a pyro chasing some dumb fucking scout and thus burns me to death while cloaked

Fuck scouts

Horrible creatures

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Rami wrote: »

Against incompetent people maybe

Usually Toons just juggles me in the air while I'm on fire and then kills me

You know

Like good pyros

Course if the spy is that close enough to use the enforcer he could

You know

Stab you most of the time if he was better

It happens once in a while but it's not common, just try not to get close enough to Pyros to let them juggle. I use the revolver most of the time with the DR, especially now with the Enforcer. You can often get more reliable kills just by using disguises to get the element of surprise and shooting dudes at close range, using your DR to escape, and decloaking near some ammo to be ready again in a matter of seconds.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Having a disguise should never be a reliable way of getting around anywhere against smarter players

And the DR is so fucking loud they should be able to figure out where you are and murder you

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Having a disguise should never be a reliable way of getting around anywhere against smarter players

And the DR is so fucking loud they should be able to figure out where you are and murder you

Depends on the map, but if there's nowhere safe behind them then just go back to your teammates and start again. Even just pushing the front lines as a dude with a gun who can never die is pretty good.

Zek on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    What have people been naming their items?

Medigun: "Together we are invincible"
    Minigun: Bullet-based anti-baby device
    Kritzkrieg: "Timing is critical"
    Soldier's whip: "Let's get cracking"

Once I get the Liberty Launcher I might rename it to Serenity. With the description:
    "You can't take the sky from me."

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    LokiamisLokiamis Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    so bonk still doesn't have the knockback resistance attribute they added

Lokiamis on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Zek wrote: »

Depends on the map, but if there's nowhere safe behind them then just go back to your teammates and start again. Even just pushing the front lines as a dude with a gun who can never die is pretty good.

Probably half my spy kills come from using the revolver

tofu on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    That's because you fuck up half your stabs

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't remember ebo being such a terrifying spy.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am terrible at aiming in this game and FPS in general, which I guess is the reason why I stick to classes who don't rely on accuracy as much.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on