As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Google+ - Will it spark interest or run around in circles?

• SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I can't get in. How exactly am I supposed to use the exploit? Is there a link to the method?

Hrm.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • XtralifeXtralife Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Totally interested in this. Everybody's only on Facebook because everybody else is, and I hope this kills it. I'm getting sick of all the damned question-answer apps spamming my wall, for one thing. Also, it's a pain in the ass to make friend lists and post for specific people, and you can't make edits to the friend lists or default posting settings on the smartphone apps. So a focus on sharing what with who is definitely enough to make me, and just about everybody I know switch.

If anybody has an extra invite, and they start doing it again, I'd love it if somebody could please send me one at dfstrachan@gmail.com.

Also, what's gonna happen to Buzz and Orkut? They seem pretty redundant, now. I can see them keeping Orkut around because it has such a following in South America, but Buzz will be absolutely useless.

Xtralife on
    Twitter Facebook Steam XBL Google+ Dropbox: get 250mb free
    Minecraft username is the same. No server yet.
    Battle.net: majesticslump@aol.com
    Not too active on Steam, my computer sucks. Still no XBL Gold account. DS friend codes in spoiler.
    ACWW: 2063-9673-0359
    GTA Chinatown Wars: 0388-4661-8548
    Jump Ultimate Stars: 5155-6844-1452
    Mario Kart: 4811-3240-0433
    Scribblenauts: 4812-6335-7531
    Starfox Command: 1139-8027-6150
    Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: 4211-4545-9789
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, if it isn't too much hassle, my E-Mail is up higher in the thread and I would love an invitation.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I didn't need an invite? Just logged into my gmail account, changed the adress in the adress bar to http://plus.google.com and clicked on join, which immediately asked me whether I wanted to join with that adress

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Unfortunately I can't decipher your adress up there, I feel like a bot
    U wanna buy gold?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited July 2011
    I didn't need an invite? Just logged into my gmail account, changed the adress in the adress bar to http://plus.google.com and clicked on join, which immediately asked me whether I wanted to join with that adress

Not working for me, man. Maybe they're just letting a few more people in at random.

Xtralife on
    Not too active on Steam, my computer sucks. Still no XBL Gold account. DS friend codes in spoiler.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think it's a free-for-all right now, no invite needed.

EDIT: At least, if I'm not logged in at all and go to plus.google.com it gives a 'sign in' button that sounds like you can join.

Tomanta on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    Nope. You sign in and it tells you that they are over capacity.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Lame.

Tomanta on
    edited July 2011
    Tell me about it. Toy tried to invite me and nothing much of anything seems to be happening.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yea, did the same thing I've been doing. Emails should have gone out. Earlier, even if invites were shut off, you'd get an email that someone posted something to share with you, but it just didn't have the invite.

so not sure what's up atm.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2011
    I now have the E-Mail saying I was invited, but I am still getting the capacity exceeded page when I try to do anything.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I now have the E-Mail saying I was invited, but I am still getting the capacity exceeded page when I try to do anything.

I think you're set then, just gotta wait until they reopen the invites.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2011
    My thanks to those of you who tried to get me in.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MKR on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2011
    So.... as a paying Google Apps user, I have no access to google+. Because paid users of google cannot enable google profiles. Because google is filled with idiots.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So what I think Google+ is missing so far.

1. Ability to post on other people's wall, or at least a setting which allows such.

You can share anything with anyone, and it will either show up in the Circle they put you in, or in the "Incoming" circle, which collects all the items shared with you from people you haven't added to a circle yet.

Jollus on
  • H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My thanks as well to the one that tried to get me in. I'll keep checking back to see when they open up again.

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jollus wrote: »
    So what I think Google+ is missing so far.

1. Ability to post on other people's wall, or at least a setting which allows such.

You can share anything with anyone, and it will either show up in the Circle they put you in, or in the "Incoming" circle, which collects all the items shared with you from people you haven't added to a circle yet.

Pretty much, I don't want to post something for someone that everyone they know can see. Fuck that, I posted it so that THEY could see it, if they want their friends to see it then they can share it with them.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, there isn't really any public "wall" to post on. If you want to share something with someone (or group of someones) you share it with them, if you also want that post to be public just add the Public Circle to the post.

Jollus on
  • Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I really like some of the things I see in this, but I said that with Wave as well. Admittedly, this is an entirely different beast in an entirely different time. I'm definitely very eager to give it a try, so if anyone had an invite or however that works, I'd appreciate it.

Also, this seems like a strange thing to have a beta run like this of, seeing as it's a social networking site. Has Google explained why the are doing this in a beta wave fashion or is it just a thing Google does now? Or is it to mine out all the problems so they don't have another beginning like Buzz had?

If I think to much about it I can pull up some pretty reasonable and clever reasons why Google is doing this in a waved closed Beta, but at the same time I think it's kinda silly that they are for a social site, but whatever.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
    edited July 2011
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't, damned if you know which is the damnedest.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited July 2011
    maybe they want to create more demand by shortening supply :P

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Thanks to the two dudes who sent me invites. You know who you are. As soon as I get in, I'll start sending invites out myself.

Xtralife on
  • HurtdogHurtdog Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    maybe they want to create more demand by shortening supply :P

A demand for what, is the question.

Hurtdog on
    edited July 2011
    I've seen hiccups during short periods when they opened the floodgates. I think they're limiting the involvement of the engineers until the UX people say it's ready.

MKR on
    edited July 2011
    I like it so far.
    It really does feel like a (good) mixture of facebook and twitter to me, but of course its success depends on how many people join
    Once they have a good infrastructure, their "write anyone not in yet and they get an invite" snowball system could take care of that
    I like the android integration, the circle system works well. It's not that I hate facebook, but I hope that at least g+ gives it a run for its money, because a monopoly is never good

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited July 2011
    What Google has not considered is that a lot of people like posting all their shit out in the open even if they bitch about how much they don't, and the ones who don't share anything usually don't have anything interesting to post anyway. Who hasn't seen people post pictures of how hard they party or the cool places they're at or all their hot friends or their new car or whatever the fuck ever?

The "Keeping up with the Jones" culture is part of Facebook's success.

Hurtdog on
    edited July 2011
    You can easily post to all your circles and even to everyone, hence the twitter comparison

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Hurtdog wrote: »
    What Google has not considered is that a lot of people like posting all their shit out in the open even if they bitch about how much they don't, and the ones who don't share anything usually don't have anything interesting to post anyway. Who hasn't seen people post pictures of how hard they party or the cool places they're at or all their hot friends or their new car or whatever the fuck ever?

Most people are posting public for everything except things that are only relevant to a circle.

MKR on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The more I see about this, the more I want in, and the more I realize I already have too many social networks to keep track of. I think it's the "new and shiny" that I'm attracted to.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    What is a 'wall' and what about posting to it isn't achievable by simply messaging someone with something you want them to see and also posting to the 'public' group?

(never used Facebook)

the ability for someone else to post to my wall is a thing that I hate. It's fucking graffiti.

Evander on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If anyone still has invites for this, I would love one. You can email me at privacyjuseo (at) gmail

Thanks very much!

langfor6 on
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I signed up for the "waiting" but I am still trying to get on the ground floor with my gaming services.

Can't wait to get in on this, I've been ready for this every since Google started talking about it.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    edited July 2011
    Rumor has it that the floodgates are open. Try signing up. Emphasis on rumor.

edit: It appears to be regional.

https://twitter.com/#!/DanFarfan/status/87538402286780416
    @jeffjarvis rollout regional "Right now, we're testing with a small number of people, but it won't be long bef… (cont) http://deck.ly/~4doOK

MKR on
    edited July 2011
    MKR wrote: »

Most people are posting public for everything except things that are only relevant to a circle.

But there's no Wall.

Hurtdog on
  • PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MKR shared an interesting article (link) on g+ earlier, that does a better job than I could of summarising a couple of my issues with the way things are set up.

My main gripe is the fact that this circles system relies on ME having a good idea of what people are interested in. If someone likes programming but I don't know it, they will have no way of seeing my programming related posts because they aren't something I want to bore the general masses with!

Also wondering: can people see when I comment on public things? Doesn't seem to appear on my profile anywhere?

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
    edited July 2011

But there's no Wall.

It would only be good for letting other people put stuff in my posts stream, and I don't want that.

MKR on
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Photon wrote: »
    MKR shared an interesting article (link) on g+ earlier, that does a better job than I could of summarising a couple of my issues with the way things are set up.

My main gripe is the fact that this circles system relies on ME having a good idea of what people are interested in. If someone likes programming but I don't know it, they will have no way of seeing my programming related posts because they aren't something I want to bore the general masses with!

Also wondering: can people see when I comment on public things? Doesn't seem to appear on my profile anywhere?

You're thinking about it backwards. Don't worry about what others are interested in, they will follow you if they are interested.

The Deliverator on
    edited July 2011

But there's no Wall.

It would only be good for letting other people put stuff in my posts stream, and I don't want that.

Your "Wall" is not really a place for YOU to post shit, it's for other people to come and say stuff to you. It's like a comments section.

Hurtdog on