As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TF2] is now FREE!! You have no excuse not to play. Meet the Medic in OP!!

• duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is there a good site that teaches you how to play? The tf2manual.net link in the OP doesn't seem to work and all my googling just leads me back to the wiki.

Where can I find a site that links to articles/videos about how to rocket jump and things like that?

durax on
  • ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    i just join a nice pubbie server and occasionally refresh

has worked for me!

yeah same, or I tool around with my crafting screen and refresh every so often to see what's happening

or I message someone in the server to let me know when the map is changing

that's how I got in earlier today, anyway

I get requests from multiple people asking me to make people rage quit to make room on the server. :?
    Adus wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    What have people been naming their items?

Medigun: "Together we are invincible"
    Minigun: Bullet-based anti-baby device
    Kritzkrieg: "Timing is critical"
    Soldier's whip: "Let's get cracking"

Degreaser: "Spaceballs: The Flamethrower" w/ description text "The kids love this one."

I named my Mackerel "What did the fish say to the face?", with the description "Slap!".

I had a Level 10 Vintage Huntsman named "I'm mad", which should've been "I mad" in response to "U mad?", but I screwed it up. Endaro ended up with it after a backpack bug moved my 78 huntsman from its designated slot and I ended up crafting it, because he's a caring soul who minds my well being and traded me his 87 huntsman.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
    edited July 2011
    Sweet.
    Thanks a lot.

durax on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hint: Be a Medic and everyone will love you regardless

Zen Vulgarity on
  • LokiamisLokiamis Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I hate when medics follow/uber me. It's too much pressure.

Lokiamis on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You whine as much as goose so you shut it

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited July 2011
    I once had a high-voiced soldier whine at me that Uber on him would be useless and to find someone else to heal. He was the only teammate around and I was building up my uber and we were on way to point 2.
    It was a special moment when I first wished I could kill a teammate.

durax on
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Unless you're not good at it. I've heard people on the PA server bitching about newbie medics.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
    edited July 2011
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I don't remember ebo being such a terrifying spy.

What a first post to read coming back to the thread after creating a couple of spy fail videos!

Where did this sentry come from?!

What's the opposite of a 'Goomba Stomp'?

The details may be hard to see in these tiny baby windows.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    ebo is literally terrifying as every class

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    edited July 2011
    ebo is literally terrifying as every class

"I'm going to saw through your bones!"
    <3 pirat

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If someone has a spare Jarate, Ubersaw, or Sandvich (or all of them) I need at least one to make scraps. Check my back pack in my sig for stuff. I have a number of crates that I will likely not be purchasing a key for as well.

SirToasty on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Why was HoNC made private? Now filling a server sucks balls once again.

Zek on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    SirToasty wrote: »
    If someone has a spare Jarate, Ubersaw, or Sandvich (or all of them) I need at least one to make scraps. Check my back pack in my sig for stuff. I have a number of crates that I will likely not be purchasing a key for as well.

You know that you can craft any two items from the same class into scrap, right?

Zek on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hey You wrote: »
    Xzzy/Crash I was going to work on cp_stoneyridge some today/tomorrow unless you guys are working on it. Upload it if you have a chance. Not sure who has the latest. Thanks.

Not I. Holidays are the busiest time for me. I've barely had a chance to play this week.

UEAKCrash on
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    edited July 2011
    wait you didn't die after taunting?

that's someone else's video

edit this was in the related videos and it quite simply owns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=773svkT-OC8

undeinPirat on
    edited July 2011
    nope, i lived

that is how it works on pubs, pirat

you taunt in a freezecam after failing to tauntkill someone and then killing them anyway

and survive

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well, 20 minutes in a random public server reaffirmed that I am rusty as hell at this game and it isn't enjoyable to get curbstomped on a team with no communication.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited July 2011
    Zek wrote: »

You know that you can craft any two items from the same class into scrap, right?
    Yep.

But none of those are from the same class.

SirToasty on
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    OK, is there a trick to getting the escape the heat achievement for a summer sale ticket. I have been lit on fire and jumped in water like 10 times now and no achievement, but I saw six people get it while I was playing in a pub 2fort server just now.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Pubs on ctf are so easy. We had 6 Engineers and a teleporter in their intel room.

e: I just got it by getting lit by a pyro for a split second, hopped in the water to get it, went into the pipe and dinged the same pyro in the face with a rocket when he tried to follow me. But killing the pyro was unrelated. You should just hop in while on fire and it should work.

You are a non-pyro when you try it right?

SirToasty on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    heenato wrote: »
    Unless you're not good at it. I've heard people on the PA server bitching about newbie medics.
    I hope they're bitching about Medics who go around syringe gunning or trying to melee people to death (which I've seen exactly once), because if not, my Care-o-Meter is pretty much zero. If I'm the only person who switches classes when there's no Medic about, then I reserve the right to tell anyone who complains about a poorly-timed Uber or bitches about not getting heals when they rocket/sticky/quad jump across half the map away from me, then I reserve the right to tell them to fuck off.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited July 2011
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ok those summer shades make for some pretty sweet hat combinations.

UEAKCrash on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That's pretty much a day in the life of a spy.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Pubs on ctf are so easy. We had 6 Engineers and a teleporter in their intel room.

e: I just got it by getting lit by a pyro for a split second, hopped in the water to get it, went into the pipe and dinged the same pyro in the face with a rocket when he tried to follow me. But killing the pyro was unrelated. You should just hop in while on fire and it should work.

Yeah I have tried it as both scout and soldier.
    Maybe it's my connection and it's just not getting updated, I have had that happen before now that i think about it.

edit: bleh i just made a Facebook page i'll never use to get the shades instead. If I get the achievement i'll just put the ticket toward that alien breed 2 game.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXwe081o3Hs

To a thousand views! (or hundred)

Serious_Scrub on
    edited July 2011
    turtleant wrote: »

Maybe it's my connection and it's just not getting updated, I have had that happen before now that i think about it.
    Could be a bug. I swear I had the Combined Fire achievement flash up on my screen while playing today but then I looked at it outside (and later inside) the game and it said I had 6/20 completed.

SirToasty on
  • FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Just gonna crosspost this.
    FlatEric wrote: »
    Anyone have a spy suit they want to trade?

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    turtleant wrote: »

Make a local server on 2fort, add a pyro bot and get it.

You will need to generate a navmesh for the map, the wiki says how to do it.

Morkath on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hey I got the Heavy steel jaws from a summer cooler for trade, would like a good spy hat, no camera beards.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Morkath wrote: »
    Make a local server on 2fort, add a pyro bot and get it.

You will need to generate a navmesh for the map, the wiki says how to do it.

Is a local server with bots treated differently from offline practice? Because it didn't work for me when I did it with bots. You can also use lakeside, which already works with bots and has water on it.

Peewi on
    edited July 2011
    iirc they recently made it so listen servers don't give you achievements/items

or something like that

(a listen server is a local server)

undeinPirat on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    iirc they recently made it so listen servers don't give you achievements/items

or something like that

(a listen server is a local server)

Press the + button next to the find server to create a server. It works, thats how I got the achievement.

You just need to turn sv_cheats off, exit out, and relaunch it after you make the navmesh.

Morkath on
  • RSPRSP Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
  • LokiamisLokiamis Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Lokiamis on
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff2G49ozR3Y

Ignore the title. I'm actually awful at them.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Lokiamis wrote: »

Interesting. Are we sure its new and not something old?

Double Edit: oh, its a fake fan thing.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png