As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mini-Phalla] The Edge of Reality: Village Victory Night 8!

38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid againwait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Critical Failures
You should probably read a bit of the mechanics, if not the fluff, before signing up. It’s a bit experimental!
work.3123902.4.flat,550x550,075,f.hudson-ma-usa-tripps-pond-painting.jpg

As time continued its steady march there have been discoveries that have changed the course of society for all time. Tools, Fire, Gunpowder, Nuclear Weapons. All of these have left their mark on the world. People questioned what the next power would be, and if we would be ready for it.

The power was discovered quite accidentally. While on a hiking trip our group discovered a still pond and, it being a hot day, we splashed some water on our faces. As we touched the water, we could begin to feel the power. The power to change. Anything. Everything. Edit the very laws of nature. This initial experience with the untamed power quickly narrowed the hiking group down to two people.

The applications of the power are limited only by your thoughts. Prevent viruses from being able to infect people, stop the aging process, stop gravity and cause the planets to smash into each other, force others to obey your thoughts...

Clearly even innocent uses of this power can have serious implications, and as soon as someone of low morale fiber discovers this, we are all in serious trouble.

Because of that, I believed that this power could be simply too destructive and must be contained... but my companion just smirked and lashed out with his new-found power. I resisted, and we clashed in a tremendous battle that tore holes in reality. Not that most people noticed. But when we finally paused momentarily, we found our powers were evenly matched. We were entirely in balance. The situation is hardly ideal, and I constantly fear that he will do something to tip the scales or take me out while I’m distracted.

In our uneasy stalemate, though, we learned something. Although we were the first, and the most sensitive to the power, we are not the only ones able to wield it. You, too, have touched the water and also know the power. Now that you are here we can finally stop this madman from turning society into his slaves. If you support me, we can work together to banish kime, and find a way to seal this power away forever.

Of course, you can choose to support him and use your powers to support your own ambitions. I would caution you to remember that should you succeed and banish me, kime would easily be able to subjugate you. Perhaps there will be peace for a time, but you will be the only thing able to stop him from becoming a god on Earth. What do you think he would do?

I’m sure he’ll speak to you as well. Just remember what I have said.

38thDoE on steam
🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀
38thDoe on

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well that was a depressingly stupid way to look at it. Let me try and point out what he won’t say.

You can do whatever you want. Think about that. You can change anything you want. You don’t have to listen to him, or even to me. But let’s be honest, you want to listen to me. Listening to me is fun. Exciting. Fulfilling.

And it’s the right thing to do. Look at history. All these “discoveries” and “advancements” really just marked the age of a new time, with new leaders. No one argues we should go back to a time before fire, or the use of electricity. It’s progress.

We’re progress. We can change the world, and we should. To better mankind, of course.

They’ll thank us, you’ll see.

Ze Rulez, and such

This is a mini-phalla for 30 people, dual-hosted by kime and 38thDoe. If you don’t know what a Phalla is, check this out. All players are welcome, new or old, but as a warning, this is not a traditional game. It is mafia vs. village, but mechanically is more experimental. But if anyone has any questions, please ask :).

On that note, here is a very good piece of advise for you. From now on, whenever a host says something about the rules of the game or answers any questions for you, you will be well-served if you mentally add a “for now...” to the end of that sentence. Do not forget! :P

Scared yet?

Basic phalla rules apply. No directly quoting private stuff from the hosts, no anonymous contact, no screenshots, only one standard ghost post once you’re dead (can’t contain in-game info!). Please PM proboards to us. Lastly, have fun!

Now, here’s where things get tricky, so pay attention.

Due to the nature of our reality-bending players, the mechanics of this phalla are in flux.

Manipulating the Universe

There are several different categories (listed below), each of which represents a different aspect of the mechanics of this game. Each category has several different levels, and at each level the mechanics of the game are different.

In order to manipulate these categories, each player simply allocates their points wherever they would like. In general, each player has 5 points each day. If you do not use them, they are wasted. To disturb the fabrics of reality, simply decide: which category, how many points, positive or negative. Simple as that.

An example action PM could be something as simple as: “Subtract 5 points from Entropy,” or something like “Subtract 2 points from Host. Add 3 points to Entropy.”

At the end of the day, everyone's changes to the universe are all tallied up, and a final state is determined.

However, the changes made to the Universe happen last in the order of actions. So the changes you make affect the following days.

The Universe may be divided into the following categories. It’s been scientifically proven.
    • Information
    • Vote
    • Host
    • Entropy
    • Offense
    • Defense
    • Support

The above categories may, from their starting state, proceed in both negative or positive directions, depending on how the players choose to allocate their points. In general, one direction (either positive or negative) is more beneficial to the village, and one will be more harmful to the village. You can consider their starting states to be roughly neutral.

Your goal is to intelligently use the information you’re given and the results of each day to discover the effects of changing each category and to use that knowledge to defeat the mafia. And normal Phalla strategy, which always works oh-so-well :P.

Please post at least twice a day, and vote for one player in Bold Red every day. The vote winner will die. Inactives will be replaced or killed.

If you choose to join me in ushering in a new age of wealth, health, prosperity, and us in charge, make clear your intentions by signing up below! Also, if you want to be boring and “restrain” yourself or whatever, you can still sign up. I guess. :P

If you have any questions at all, about mechanics, the hosts, why the sky is blue, etc., please ask in Bold Orange. You can ask in a different color, but we may ignore it :P. You can always ask private questions to either of us.

And for orders, you can send it to either ONE of us. But if you change your orders in the middle of the day, send it to the same person please. Don’t make things complicated.

Standard Villager PM
    An Idealist

You agree with kime, this is much too grand of an opportunity to just waste. If it were in the hands of evil people, then yeah, it should be sealed and hidden away. But you aren’t evil, right? You are responsible, and will do what is right for everyone, right?

Exactly.

Welcome to the club!

You have 5 points to allocate to the public categories each day.

Win Condition: Eliminate those seeking to seal the power.

The vote closes at 3 pm Eastern. It’s weird, I know, sorry.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Player List

1) [strike]MaxFrost[/strike] I needed a name to post - Highly Skilled Idealist - Torn to shreds in a democratic way.
    2) Cythraul
    3) vagrant_winds - ??? - ???
    4) Balefuego - Hesitant Idealist - Cut off from the power
    5) Teucrian - Person of High Moral Fiber - Torn to shreds in a democratic way
    6) SLyM - Highly Skilled Idealist - Torn to shreds in a democratic way.
    7) Langly - People Person - Cut off from the power
    8) Baidol
    9) Lucedes - Person of High Moral Fiber - Savaged by the will of the vote.
    10) Phyphor - Psychosis Inducer - Cut off from the power
    11) Jason Todd - Skilled Idealist - Torn to shreds in a democratic way.
    12) CaptainPlanet82 - Idealist - Savaged by the will of the vote.
    13) jackisreal - Religious Cynic - Frozen
    14) SeGaTai - Idealist - Cut off from the power
    15) Dunadan019 - Person of High Moral Fiber - Torn to shreds in a democratic way.
    16) Spoit - Enhanced Fast Learner - Cut off from the power
    17) Zandracon - Skilled Idealist - Torn to shreds in a democratic way and Savaged by the will of the vote.
    18) 101
    19) Tmoiy - Skilled Idealist - Torn to shreds in a democratic way.
    20) [strike]Peccavi[/strike] Warban - ??? - ???
    21) Egos - Power Siphoner - Cut off from the power and incinerated
    22) JasonFour - Power Siphoner - Torn to shreds in a democratic way
    23) Void Slayer - Power Extractor - Torn to shreds in a democratic way.
    24) immortal squish
    25) Feckless Rogue - Person of High Moral Fiber - is now a rhinoceros
    26) Wandering Hero - Idealist - Torn to shreds in a democratic way.
    27) romanqwerty - Person of High Moral Fiber - Savaged by the will of the vote.
    28) kuhlmeye - Idealist - Torn to shreds in a democratic way.
    29) Ringo - ??? - ???
    30) Stever777 - People Person - Torn to shreds in a democratic way.

Reserve:
    1) Rawkking Goodguy

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm here to make a change in this world!

MaxFrost on
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    kime

I mean...

!signup

Cythraul on
    Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    !Memento Mori. Superficially "you". Me? I'm immortal and unchanging from my absolute power.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    !I would like to play in this forum game

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Teucrian on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This should have been a B:L vs KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME Phalla.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh shit yes

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    !sign up

Langly on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    !sign up

!How fucked are we?

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    edited July 2011
    Order of Events?

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    edited July 2011
    Baidol wrote: »
    !sign up

!How fucked are we?
    Muahahahahahaha

SLyM wrote: »
    Order of Events?
    Most things happen at the same time.

The vote happens last.

As a friendly reminder, I will personally add this once for you. Because I'm nice.

"Most things happen at the same time.

The vote happens last.

For now..."

kime on
    Steam profile
    edited July 2011
    kime wrote: »
    !sign up

!How fucked are we?
    Muahahahahahaha

So fucked

Baidol on
    edited July 2011
    Does the vote trickle?

for now?

SLyM on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    hell yes

Lucedes on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

... for now

Phyphor on
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This is too terrifying for me, though I will watch with eager anticipation of antics.

REG Rysk on
  • Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    yes yes yes

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Day 1 everyone Host -5.

Baidol on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Day 1 everyone Information +5.

Lucedes on
  • CaptainPlanet82CaptainPlanet82 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

CaptainPlanet82 on
    Help my friend realize his excellent Cyber Punk savage setting! Check out the Ronin: Chrome and Shadows Kickstarter!
  • jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Gotta !Sign up to get doooooown

jackisreal on
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    !signup let the crazyness begin

SeGaTai on
    PSN SeGaTai
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    green

Dunadan019 on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    sign

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • LemmingHeadLemmingHead Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Gosh darn you to heck for making this close at 3. >_< I guess I'll be watching this... for now.
    pssh, of course i'll be watching this this is so cool

LemmingHead on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] hugs!
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    hay

Zandracon on
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    this sounds interesting

101 on
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    kime wrote: »

The Universe may be divided into the following categories. It’s been scientifically proven.

• Information
    • Vote
    • Host
    • Entropy
    • Offense
    • Defense
    • Support

The above categories may, from their starting state, proceed in both negative or positive directions, depending on how the players choose to allocate their points. In general, one direction (either positive or negative) is more beneficial to the village, and one will be more harmful to the village. You can consider their starting states to be roughly neutral.

Will the values of these categories (not the actual effects of them) be displayed in each narration, or is tracking those changes part of the game?

Is this a village vs. mafia or faction game?

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm in.

Tmoiy on
    edited July 2011
    SLyM wrote: »
    Does the vote trickle?

for now?

You cannot vote out a dead player, votes for dead players do not count.

Will the values of these categories (not the actual effects of them) be displayed in each narration, or is tracking those changes part of the game?

Is this a village vs. mafia or faction game?

CLARIFICATION DENIED

This is village vs mafia, not factions.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    !Sign Up

Peccavi on
    edited July 2011
    Magenta is the color of evil, in case you didn't know.

Orange so you know to read this part.

Also, it's fourth of July weekend. Our current thoughts are, let sign-ups run today, start the game tomorrow sometime, and have an extra-long day one which would end Tuesday at 3. I don't like long day ones, but I'm worried about activity on the 4th and such.

If you all will be here, we could end the game on Monday as normal. Or we could let sign-ups go all the way to Monday? I don't think we'd need to, but it's a thought.

Player input, gooooo. Do we have preferences? How will you guys be on Monday?

kime on
    Steam profile
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Alright I'll sign for all the pretty ponies

Egos on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'd say go until the signups are full, and close the day at the normal time if all the orders and like all but a handful of the votes are in.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well, this sounds much too interesting to pass up.

Also, I will be at work all day Monday, i.e. forum surfing in boredom. So I vote for regular vote close on Monday.

immortal squish on
    <3
  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Lucedes wrote: »
    Day 1 everyone Information +5.
    Day 1 everyone Host -5.

These are obvious mafia ploys by kime's pawns. Everybody knows that the secret to winning is voting +5 to Offense!

immortal squish on
    <3