As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Google+ - Will it spark interest or run around in circles?

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    But what if Photon's got a nerdy circle of friends and a gossipy circle of friends? Photon has both nerdy topics to talk about and gossip topics to talk about. The only way for each of those circles to only see the Photon topic that interests them is if Photon restricts which circles see each of his posts, but then new friend Joeyjoe won't see either type of topic even though he loves both nerd talk and gossip, because Photon doesn't know what circles to put Joeyjoe into.

wonderpug on
  • HurtdogHurtdog Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Get Multiple Facebook accounts, one for each group of dipshits.

This is what some people do already.

Hurtdog on
  • PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Photon wrote: »
    MKR shared an interesting article (link) on g+ earlier, that does a better job than I could of summarising a couple of my issues with the way things are set up.

My main gripe is the fact that this circles system relies on ME having a good idea of what people are interested in. If someone likes programming but I don't know it, they will have no way of seeing my programming related posts because they aren't something I want to bore the general masses with!

Also wondering: can people see when I comment on public things? Doesn't seem to appear on my profile anywhere?

You're thinking about it backwards. Don't worry about what others are interested in, they will follow you if they are interested.

Follow what though? They just get my public posts by adding me to a circle...

I thought one of the supposed benefits of circles is that you can target what you are sharing. My parents don't care about my geeky stuff, so I wouldn't share that with my 'family' circle. But if one of my cousins is a closet geek, they have no way of ever seeing my post about the latest dr who episode, or even knowing I have been posting that kind of thing.

I guess you can just make everything public, but in that case i'm essentially just using twitter, without even any hashtag type mechanism to classify posts.

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
    edited July 2011
    wonderpug wrote: »
    But what if Photon's got a nerdy circle of friends and a gossipy circle of friends? Photon has both nerdy topics to talk about and gossip topics to talk about. The only way for each of those circles to only see the Photon topic that interests them is if Photon restricts which circles see each of his posts, but then new friend Joeyjoe won't see either type of topic even though he loves both nerd talk and gossip, because Photon doesn't know what circles to put Joeyjoe into.

Exactly!

Photon on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    syndalis wrote: »
    So.... as a paying Google Apps user, I have no access to google+. Because paid users of google cannot enable google profiles. Because google is filled with idiots.

Google seems to be taking a dump on Apps users in a whole lot of ways.

Echo on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hurtdog wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    What Google has not considered is that a lot of people like posting all their shit out in the open even if they bitch about how much they don't, and the ones who don't share anything usually don't have anything interesting to post anyway. Who hasn't seen people post pictures of how hard they party or the cool places they're at or all their hot friends or their new car or whatever the fuck ever?

The "Keeping up with the Jones" culture is part of Facebook's success.

Most people are posting public for everything except things that are only relevant to a circle.

But there's no Wall.

It would only be good for letting other people put stuff in my posts stream, and I don't want that.

Your "Wall" is not really a place for YOU to post shit, it's for other people to come and say stuff to you. It's like a comments section.

People can do that by adding me to a post.

MKR on
    edited July 2011

Exactly!

You could solve it by letting your friends opt-out of circles. People following you see nerd-tagged posts and gossip-tagged posts, and if they're tired of nerd posts they can leave the circle, sort of like how in Facebook you can opt out of a friend's Farmville posts or other app-specific posts.

wonderpug on
    edited July 2011
    I made a thread for the circles concern.

And it's public, so anyone who's already on Google+ can join.

MKR on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MKR shared an interesting article (link) on g+ earlier, that does a better job than I could of summarising a couple of my issues with the way things are set up.

My main gripe is the fact that this circles system relies on ME having a good idea of what people are interested in. If someone likes programming but I don't know it, they will have no way of seeing my programming related posts because they aren't something I want to bore the general masses with!

Also wondering: can people see when I comment on public things? Doesn't seem to appear on my profile anywhere?

You're thinking about it backwards. Don't worry about what others are interested in, they will follow you if they are interested.

I thought one of the supposed benefits of circles is that you can target what you are sharing. My parents don't care about my geeky stuff, so I wouldn't share that with my 'family' circle. But if one of my cousins is a closet geek, they have no way of ever seeing my post about the latest dr who episode, or even knowing I have been posting that kind of thing.

I guess you can just make everything public, but in that case i'm essentially just using twitter, without even any hashtag type mechanism to classify posts.

You...you do know you can add the same person to multiple circles, right?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited July 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Yes, but you've just befriended Cousin Suzy. You're just getting to know her. Which interest-based circles do you add her to?

wonderpug on
    edited July 2011

Exactly!

You could solve it by letting your friends opt-out of circles. People following you see nerd-tagged posts and gossip-tagged posts, and if they're tired of nerd posts they can leave the circle, sort of like how in Facebook you can opt out of a friend's Farmville posts or other app-specific posts.

That would work i guess, but if I have a really niche interest that 95% of people don't care about, it doesn't make alot of sense to include everyone in that circle by default just to have most opt out. (especially since I don't think people can see which circles you have added them to?)

A nicer solution would be the ability to have some circles that are set as publicly browsable, even if a person is not in them. That way they could take a look and see that I have a geek stuff circle (even seeing its content if I enable it), and request to be included.

Photon on
    edited July 2011

Tangent: I love that from the notifications button on the google homepage I can see the full text of that thread without even navigating to google+

Photon on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Yes, but you've just befriended Cousin Suzy. You're just getting to know her. Which interest-based circles do you add her to?

Moving the goalposts noted.
    The problem was a person who fits into two categories and the solution is: put them in both.
    Your problem is about lack of knowledge regarding someone's personal interests for which I can recommend two options; either read their profile or (the shocking alternative last resort option) actually talk to them maybe.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited July 2011

Moving the goalposts noted.
    The problem was a person who fits into two categories and the solution is: put them in both.
    Your problem is about lack of knowledge regarding someone's personal interests for which I can recommend two options; either read their profile or (the shocking alternative last resort option) actually talk to them maybe.

This is actually what i meant from the start ... "If someone likes programming but I don't know it". Guess it kinda got lost in the later posts :) so i guess the goalposts have been wobbly all along :wink:

Photon on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well, if you post it to your wall for everyone to see, everyone who has you in their circles will see it

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Also, what happens when someone has "programming" as a "spark" and you post a message containing programming?
    Edit: Not much, apparently. So someone has to see you as someone posting interesting stuff and put you in the circle "Progammin gurus" they want to hear blab about your recent deque implementation

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    So.... as a paying Google Apps user, I have no access to google+. Because paid users of google cannot enable google profiles. Because google is filled with idiots.

Google seems to be taking a dump on Apps users in a whole lot of ways.

Why would Google add a just-announced beta product to their enterprise package? They'd have to support it and stuff, and it hasn't even been public a week.

Frem on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

starting to like G+ more and more. has a bit more of a blog /public forum thread feeling to it too thanks to those extended privacy options.

I find g+ has a lot going to it for sharing messages/ideas or reading stuff than fb or twitter but FB has the advantage right with events / hangout options for peeps who want to do stuff together.

Except for huddle. That's a big improvement.

Alegis on
  • wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This is starting to sound pretty fascinating. If anybody has a spare invititation, I'd love to mess around with it.
    wmelon @ gmail

wmelon on
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Doesn't appeal really. If its all tied to google accounts again it'll never take off. Or at least, it won't for me... I think I have about 3 other friends with google accounts.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    RE: Walls

I don't really see the purpose of walls. Isn't tagging someone in a post just the same as posting in that person's wall?

qwer12 on
    steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I just wanted to put this over here:

Something about Circles

Every time I add someone to a circle, this song pops in my head.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    lol nice.

Still waiting on... anything. I've always been lucky to get first dibs on shit so I guess this time it's my turn to sit out. I can deal.

*foams*

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is G+ completely down for anybody else? I'm getting an error message

"The webpage at https://plus.google.com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address."

Centipede Damascus on
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If anyone still has invites available I would love one. You will earn Roz faction points, a useable form of currency on the internet.

tyrodium (at) gmail dot com

Roz on
  • JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    G+ seems to be down right now.

Jollus on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Working for me

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    EDIT: Sorted

Seguer on
    edited July 2011
    Feeling the lack of a FB-style "wall". I just sent something to one single person, and I feel like I need to jump and holler to notify that this is something private, personal and more than just me posting a brainfart to my circles.

...unless Google feels that this is what we should use Gmail for. I kind of suspect they do what with their recent "Conversation" developments.

Echo on
    edited July 2011
    qwer12 wrote: »

I don't really see the purpose of walls. Isn't tagging someone in a post just the same as posting in that person's wall?

It is absolutely not the same thing. Not even close.

Hurtdog on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    qwer12 wrote: »

It is absolutely not the same thing. Not even close.

Exactly. Think of this car analogy: It's the difference between hitting them with your car and them being a passenger, watching themselves be hit.

MichaelLC on
    edited July 2011
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Exactly. Think of this car analogy: It's the difference between hitting them with your car and them being a passenger, watching themselves be hit.

carnalogy.png

Echo on
    edited July 2011
    Feeling the lack of a FB-style "wall". I just sent something to one single person, and I feel like I need to jump and holler to notify that this is something private, personal and more than just me posting a brainfart to my circles.

...unless Google feels that this is what we should use Gmail for. I kind of suspect they do what with their recent "Conversation" developments.

Click "Send Feedback" and ask them to add a 1:1 mode where it's marked as such when it's between two people.

MKR on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    OK, I laughed. Well done.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited July 2011
    edited July 2011

And I say, good for them.

Hurtdog on
  • Lawful EvilLawful Evil Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The "sparks" feature has already worked pretty well for me. I've found certain League of Legends game commentaries because of it. Now if we could +1 spark articles so that Google can streamline what type of "updates" we actually want by showing us more of that type of information.

Also, it would be nice if we could set our profile pictures to change depending on which circle a certain user is placed in. For example, I'd prefer to show off my penchant for a certain game character to my PA circle, and also use a picture of my group of friends for my more personal circle.

Lawful Evil on
    Do not believe that the impossible exists. That is why you fail.
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

You click the 'X' on 'Your circles', click again to focus the text field, and type in the name of the person. I'm not sure how this could be implemented with less fuss. Maybe they could take out the second click, but it seems like that might reduce usability. (The close button on the last remaining circle would behave differently than close buttons when there are multiple circles. Not only would close a circle, it would also pull up the autocomplete list, switching your mode of interaction with the circles text box. I tend to think an explicit, user-triggered mode switch would perform better in testing.)

Also, it would be nice if we could set our profile pictures to change depending on which circle a certain user is placed in. For example, I'd prefer to show off my penchant for a certain game character to my PA circle, and also use a picture of my group of friends for my more personal circle.
    Yeah, that seems like a major oversight, given how circle-oriented the rest of the service is.

Frem on
  • JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If you click in the circles text field you can backspace to delete, and then start typing to fill in the new name/circle.

If you are sending something to someone and you truly don't want them to share it, you can always use the "disable reshare" option. Doesn't prevent them from using copy/paste, but that is the internet for you.

Jollus on
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    If someone doesn't mind, I would appreciate an invitation.

[redacted]

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX