As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon

• Options
    MarundoMarundo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am so excited by this. This is me and the wife's go-to co-op game. I think I will clean the basement in anticipation for this game so I can play it in a nice clean area.

I'm pretty psyched.

Marundo on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So you guys have Trenched and now this early too?

FML

The good news is, in the UK this comes out on the last day of work before summer break, so I'll have six free weeks to play it! Wooo!

Has it got both local and online co-op this time?

My girl is so good at killing ants.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So you guys have Trenched and now this early too?

FML

The good news is, in the UK this comes out on the last day of work before summer break, so I'll have six free weeks to play it! Wooo!

Has it got both local and online co-op this time?

Well technically you just have Trenched late.

But this we do certainly have early for whatever reason I just don't know.

Still wondering why no instruction book. Maybe they figured fuck it? "Run around and shoot shit with crazy guns."

..."Alright."

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    kelleyberrykelleyberry Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yes, it does have local & online co-op.

One change I really appreciate is an ability to target missiles a lot better. You'll recall that in EDF2017, missiles were largely fire-and-forget; target priority was up to the missile. Now, even if a missile doesn't have a lock-on before firing, if you have your reticule on a target (say, a carriers open bays), then the missile homes in and even curves around openings to hit the target. If you fire without a specific target, the missile will behave largely in the style of the old-game.

A very welcome change since I love missiles, but they could be a pain when you were trying to hit something specific.

kelleyberry on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Marry that lady and never let her go!

vamen on
  • Options
    DJP3710DJP3710 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    As someone that, with a friend by my side, ripped EDF 2017 to shreds (over a very long amount of time, of course), I give this game my wholehearted approval.

Did you like EDF 2017? Buy this game.

They did great things with this iteration, including ironing out a lot of the weird quirks that EDF 2017 suffered from, like the need to be moving diagonally to roll.

At first I thought, when looking at the Tier list of weapons for each armor class, that this game would be a strictly linear affair with "Upgrade from Rocket Launcher A to Rocket Launcher B" across five tiers and that's it. Not so. As you pick up new weapons, they appear on the weapon selection screen. The only change is that the tier system stops you from taking ridiculously overpowered guns out immediately. As you level up the armor classes, you gain access to further tiers and broaden your destructive potential.

The armor classes are especially a weird, but fun mechanic. Not only do they have their unique abilities that improve as they rank up, but each have their own sets of weapons that share some fairly unique traits. Like weapons with homing bullets? Play a Tactical, as so far I've gotten both a homing shotgun and a homing submachine gun with it.

Did you like the energy weapons that did a variety of weird stuff (shots bouncing off walls, shotgun-range arc lighting, etc)? Play a Jet.

Battle armor gets the heavier weapons that take forever to reload, while I assume Troopers get something between the three. The best part is that all four classes are viable in their own ways, neatly balanced so there's no clear winner. Each is suited to handle certain situations, and each mission throws a variety of encounters at you to make sure nobody feels left out.

DJP3710 on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    mastrius wrote: »
    Still wondering why no instruction book. Maybe they figured fuck it? "Run around and shoot shit with crazy guns."

..."Alright."

Is it that hard to figure out why a budget title might not waste their budget to print an instruction book that less than 10 people would've looked at anyways?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »

..."Alright."

Is it that hard to figure out why a budget title might not waste their budget to print an instruction book that less than 10 people would've looked at anyways?

Some copies have the book, some don't. I guess there was a bug in the system.

8-)

Turkey on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    A manual is really not necessary for this game. Accident or no, its absence is a non-issue.

Renzo on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Speak for yourself. I for one love reading about bug killing on the crapper.

Turkey on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Played a few missions of this. Fun. For some odd reason during one part of the third mission I started humming along to a finding nemo tune, "don't stop shooting, don't stop shooting.."

I also found two weapons as drops (but you don't seem to get more from the same dudes? Or is it completely random chance for a drop?), and looked at the achievements: Dropped Weapons: 2/107/. :shock::(:)

kildy on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    kildy wrote: »
    Played a few missions of this. Fun. For some odd reason during one part of the third mission I started humming along to a finding nemo tune, "don't stop shooting, don't stop shooting.."

I also found two weapons as drops (but you don't seem to get more from the same dudes? Or is it completely random chance for a drop?), and looked at the achievements: Dropped Weapons: 2/107/. :shock::(:)

Yup.

EDF games have a lot of guns. Some only show up on higher difficulties.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    MarundoMarundo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I seen this on the forum, left work, crashed(slept for two hours), woke up before work and ran out to buy this so I could play it over an off day... Can't wait, thanks for the heads up on this being out early. The wife is going to love when I get home.

By the time I get off of work tonight I'll have worked 28 hours in the last 36 of my life... I will then muster up energy to play this for a few hours before I go to bed.

Marundo on
  • Options
    LogicReasonLogicReason Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh man, I hadn't realized this game was out. Saw the posts here, went to gamestop and picked up my copy. Already loving it. Plenty of refinements over EDF that make it so fun.

Only worry is how long the campaign might be... hope it's not too short.

LogicReason on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am very much looking forward to the Canukistani release of this horrible thousand eyed monstrosity.

EDF!

EDF!

EDF!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Pilot chatter is best chatter.
    Aaaand if you look to your left, you'll see the biggest damned spider you've.."

As much as I like the Jet armor, it seems like it's weapons are kind of weak, or I don't get them. The grenades seem to have absolutely no blast radius at all, and the rifles don't do much. Lightning shotgun is good times, though.

Tactical and Battle seem to win so far (up to level 3), battle having the only weapons that feel like they clear a room, and Tactical having turrets to deal with swarms while you focus down carriers.

kildy on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    yeah, my wife and I run a tactical & battle duo that works pretty well. I'm surprised at how many times we've died (lost a mission) in just the first two chapters. I am curious what the Campaign remix is about, but the survival mode is sure to be hours and hours of fun.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    A few of the fights in the campaign started crazy, and escalated from there. I've had a number of points now (into chapter 3) where the fight's escalated and I've just looked at the TV and said "really? REALLY?"

It's great fun. Did some multi on one level and had ~7 rezzes.

kildy on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    i picked this up and played a couple missions. its real damn fun so far. the gamestop i went to only got 1 copy in, also. if anyone want to try some ps3 co-op tomorrow afternoon or sometime, hit me up. my psn is the same as my forum name here.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Goddamnit why isn't it Tuesday yet?! D:

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    is it just me or do the jet armor's weapons seem woefully inadequate? maybe it gets powerful later on but its laser pistol thing is just not doing it for me at all. flying around is fun though.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    is it just me or do the jet armor's weapons seem woefully inadequate? maybe it gets powerful later on but its laser pistol thing is just not doing it for me at all. flying around is fun though.

They seem relatively weak (high damage per hit, but low rate of fire/low AE), though the abundance of fire and forget missile launchers would rock if they didn't require 6-8 missile hits to kill a spider that anyone else can waste in an SMG burst. It's also odd that in order to make them use their energy, they're the only armor that gets screwed out of reloading if they use their flight.

kildy on
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Basil wrote: »
    I am very much looking forward to the Canukistani release of this horrible thousand eyed monstrosity.

EDF!

EDF!

EDF!

Oh yeah, that's another important thing for me. Do partners and normal soilders have lots of chatter?

More importantly, do people scream out in pain and die over the radio? That's was always fun hearing that three of four times a level.

Probably gonna tell my brother about this game, and he might pick it up with his gift card he has.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »

..."Alright."

Woah slow down there cowpoke. I was only wondering why a new game wouldn't have one. I myself like having the full complete copy of a game when I buy it (new especially) so it was just odd that it wasn't in there to me. Regardless of whether I look at it or not I like to get what I paid for.

I just figured maybe someone would know so I asked. It's certainly an odd omission or weird glitch to have in the system. I actually WOULD have looked at the book oddly enough. But regardless. I am sorry for offending you.

mastrius on
  • Options
    Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I picked this up and am currently sitting around with a bunch of other guys laughing at the screen and kicking ass. A+ so far for a party game. But I have a few questions.

1) Is there a way to increase maximum health other than by upgrading Tiers? In 2017 you could just pick up armor to increase your max health. Doesn't seem to be an option this time around.

2) Is there any way to get the stats on guns you'd select when picking equipment? All we're going off right now is the Tier level and how ridiculous the names sound ("ATI Skillet" ....?)

Just had the best quote in the game go so far.

"OH MY GOD IT'S RAINING MEN."

Ultros64 on
    It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Ultros64 wrote: »
    So I picked this up and am currently sitting around with a bunch of other guys laughing at the screen and kicking ass. A+ so far for a party game. But I have a few questions.

1) Is there a way to increase maximum health other than by upgrading Tiers? In 2017 you could just pick up armor to increase your max health. Doesn't seem to be an option this time around.

2) Is there any way to get the stats on guns you'd select when picking equipment? All we're going off right now is the Tier level and how ridiculous the names sound ("ATI Skillet" ....?)

I think the stats are just on the right side of the screen. I remember seeing them. You have to go back and forth between each gun though to see them though. You can't hit like. Compare gun. Or anything. Least I don't think so. I do know you can see the stats for sure.

mastrius on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    Bah, checked 4 different EBgames, and not one of them got more copies in than they had pre-orders for.

This is why I hate you and don't buy games from you EB.

Morkath on
  • Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Woo hoo! Am really looking forward to grabbing this as soon as it's available in the UK :D

YerMum on
    Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sorry if this has been answered but can you play split screen online with a third player?

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Haha, I knew I heard that! I was playing last night with a buddy and heard it and said " Did that guy just say 'It's raining men?'":shock:

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    This game is filled with some awesome lines. The development team really knew what they were designing and decided not to make it serious in the slightest, which is just what EDF is - all the B movie horror you can stand.

Ultros64 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    This game is filled with some awesome lines. The development team really knew what they were designing and decided not to make it serious in the slightest, which is just what EDF is - all the B movie horror you can stand.

"you should fight it by shooting it, and avoiding it's attacks" "Thanks intel."

kildy on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Fun fact:

They toned that down from earlier drafts. Apparently, in Japan?

They take the game more or less seriously, which means EDF(! EDF! EDF!) can have all sorts of goofiness... as long as it looks like it's being played straight.

Which this game does better at than anything has a right to.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Tried the first five set of missions on hard last night. I do believe I somewhat pissed my partners off by being too low rank (Rank 3 Tactical/Jet). Didn't stop me from trying to contribute, though.

Yeah, though, it feels like Jet got the short end of the stick somewhat. Maybe at higher levels flight becomes a more viable option, but as of the moment it doesn't really help in combat or in positioning (any building you fly on top of is likely going to be decimated in a instant). Plus that laser sniper rifle is the worst thing ever, as it seems to only want to fire straight 1 out of 5 times. Otherwise you get a beam that goes sailing over the target's head, even when using the scope.

DJP3710 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The mobility of hte jet more than makes up for its crap weapons. I almost never take damage as the jet, but it also takes forever to kill things.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Finished up the normal campaign. Battle Armor is God Mode. You can't die with that thing.

I think I might switch it up though, maybe do Tactical or Jet (although I guess Jet does have some crap weapons on it).

Ultros64 on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I've beaten the campaign on Normal and Hard. Aside from some minor differences in the last cutscene, there's no new content. So unless the rest of the game is Inferno only, that really is a disappointingly incomplete campaign.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Tonight I'm going to celebrate my nation's independence by blowing up some bugs!

WolfGeneral349 is the gamertag, unless anyone cares to join me.

DJP3710 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Dartboy wrote: »
    So I've beaten the campaign on Normal and Hard. Aside from some minor differences in the last cutscene, there's no new content. So unless the rest of the game is Inferno only, that really is a disappointingly incomplete campaign.

That's distressing. It's fun, but I was hoping for a little more, and not just the "checking for DLC" status message on startup.

kildy on
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh god this comes out today/tomorrow?

Thankfully I have nothing to do... well I do now...

awesome.

Nalouto on
    :winky: