As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Burn your books! [eReaders] are here!

• summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Turn in your old ereader when getting a nook, and get 30 free books with it.

I wish this applied to the older first edition nook, as I desperately need an excuse to get the new fancy e-ink touch screen.

summeryclept on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ah, I want one of these so I can have glossaries and dictionaries alongside what I read. I'm waiting on some rewards points and trade credit so I can get a Kindle, alongside Lord of the Rings and Watership Down. Free <3

The dictionary isn't so much for those as it is for Moby Dick. It's a tough read for me at the moment.
    kill_whale01.jpg

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    LaOs wrote: »
    I should have done more research before assuming that I'd be saving money by switching to ebooks! So bummed out.

I've been saving at least a dollar per book that I've bought, but most average around 3 dollars cheaper than the mass market paperbacks I would be buying IRL. Plus, I've picked up tonnes of free books.

There was also the sweet, sweet package deal where I bought books 1-4 of A Song of Ice and Fire for $17 on the Kindle. Four books for $17! :D

Maybe he's like me, and he's simply buying more books than before, because he doesn't have to make a trip to the bookstore anymore?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Can anyone recommend a good Kindle case/cover?

[Edit] Looking at these Dodocases, and they're pretty nice. Can anyone comment?

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I got myself this cover:

http://www.amazon.com/Moleskine%C2%AE-Reporter-Style-Notebook-Display-Generation/dp/8862935293/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309484157&sr=8-2

I like it a lot, but it apparently is not currently available for some reason.

Centipede Damascus on
    edited July 2011
    I should have done more research before assuming that I'd be saving money by switching to ebooks! So bummed out.

I've been saving at least a dollar per book that I've bought, but most average around 3 dollars cheaper than the mass market paperbacks I would be buying IRL. Plus, I've picked up tonnes of free books.

There was also the sweet, sweet package deal where I bought books 1-4 of A Song of Ice and Fire for $17 on the Kindle. Four books for $17! :D

Are there deals when you purchase a Kindle? I'm dwelling on blowing my Amazon Credit and Points on a Kindle and have my heart set on LotR, but A Song of Ice and Fire sounds pretty sweet to me.

Cantido on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Can anyone recommend a good Kindle case/cover?

[Edit] Looking at these Dodocases, and they're pretty nice. Can anyone comment?
    What Gen Kindle? If it's a 3rd Gen, there is no other case than the official lighted one, as far as I'm concerned.

It's expensive, but totally worth the money.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    edited July 2011
    Burn your books!

I wish I could burn my paper books onto a disk. :(

Cantido on
  • CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So my wife recently won a kindle at her work, i had been tettering between kindle and a nook/nookcolor. So i guess this has decided the problem for me. Currently me, her and our daughter have been sharing the same kindle. How many kindles can i have activate on the same email?

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
    edited July 2011
    I think up to 5.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think up to 5.

Which also includes any phone versions of kindle, or kindle PC

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    I think up to 5.

Per Amazon it's 6 but the way I understand it is the "limit" doesn't apply to registered devices, the limit is to how many devices can read the same book simultaneously. So you could register 10 kindles to the account, but only 6 of them could read Lord of the Flies at the same time.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Elin wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    I think up to 5.

Per Amazon it's 6 but the way I understand it is the "limit" doesn't apply to registered devices, the limit is to how many devices can read the same book simultaneously. So you could register 10 kindles to the account, but only 6 of them could read Lord of the Flies at the same time.

well that does sound pretty excellent, although the 5 one should impact us to heavily. me, wife, daughter, my cell phone, and computer. still if more is allowed that wouldnt hurt

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
    edited July 2011
    God the price on 3G Kindle is such a barrier for me. Picking it up leaves me know money to stick a book on it. I've collected a lot of Amazon credit. I wanted to make it last :(

Cantido on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    the 3G really is a luxury you won't miss

Centipede Damascus on
    edited July 2011
    Counterpoint: When you need it, it's oh so nice.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Granted that I got a kindle 2, so there wasn't really a choice, but I really do think that the 3G is worth the extra money. Sure the kindle isn't exactly the best webrowser, but it's only a bit more than a month of a smartphone's dataplan

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2011
    I'm actually a little worried now that they're going to get rid of it with the Kindle 4, since the Sony readers aren't available anymore, and the Nook did away with it with their Nook 2.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Cantido wrote: »

Are there deals when you purchase a Kindle? I'm dwelling on blowing my Amazon Credit and Points on a Kindle and have my heart set on LotR, but A Song of Ice and Fire sounds pretty sweet to me.

I don't recall any deals when I bought my Kindle in February. There is the Kindle with Special Offers now that's a bit cheaper and has "ads" that seem to mostly be deals on things. Plus, the ads never actually show up while reading (just the screen saver and a banner on the home menu). Maybe look into that? It's only available in the US, though (well, at least it wasn't available in Canada in May).

A Song of Ice and Fire is pretty sweet--highly recommend it--and for $17, it can't be beat!

LaOs on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm saving money insofar as I'm no longer making impulse purchases at bookstores.

Robos A Go Go on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm exactly the same in that respect. The only problem is I'm making more impulse purchases when browsing e-book stores.

Cyvros on
  • legionlegion North YorkRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The fact that I already have a great data plan for my iphone, which works nicely as a personal wifi hotspot, makes 3G a non-issue for me. Regardless, even having constant wifi access, I haven't found a need for it so far, since my iphone does browsing better anyway. I just use the reader for what it excels at, which is reading.

Having said that, a built in 3G connection sure as hell wouldn't be a bad thing when alternatives aren't available. Maintaining a 3G network (or buying access to existing networks) is likely cost prohibitive for amazon though, given they only get the one time payment up front then have to continue supporting the 3G connectivity throughout the life span of the the device.

legion on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    So, I'm now reading my third book on a Kindle, and so far every one of them has had severe proof-reading and/or typesetting problems. How common is this kind of thing on the Kindle? Do publishers just not bother checking the .mobi files much before releasing them to Amazon?

The books are the first three A Song Of Ice And Fire books, if that matters. And yes, they're the new 'improved' versions, which means that the old versions must have been atrocious.

Bogart on
  • Pipe DreamerPipe Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm not sure if you mean "several" or "severe" problems, but yeah I haven't come across a completely error-free book from the Kindle Store yet. Quotation marks in particular tend to be mangled when they occur with a lot of apostrophes. Not bad enough to kill the experience, but it is really disappointing. I don't think publishers give eBooks more than a cursory read-through before releasing them.

If you're getting public domain books, I highly recommend that you get them through Project Gutenberg instead of Amazon. PG has a very intricate proofreading process and their finished books are excellent.

Pipe Dreamer on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bogart wrote: »
    So, I'm now reading my third book on a Kindle, and so far every one of them has had sever proof-reading and/or typesetting problems. How common is this kind of thing on the Kindle? Do publishers just not bother checking the .mobi files much before releasing them to Amazon?

The books are the first three A Song Of Ice And Fire books, if that matters. And yes, they're the new 'improved' versions, which means that the old versions must have been atrocious.

Naturally proof-reading and/or typesetting errors exist even in printed media, so that accounts for some of them. I've noticed that sometimes you do see ebooks with more of those errors than might be considered normal, and I wonder if it has something to do with the copy of the text they used to make the ebook.

It seems like an isolated issue, though, most ebooks I own have the same small number of errors you'd expect to see in a paperback.

Alecthar on
    edited July 2011
    I meant 'severe'. Seriously, there were about twenty or so in each book, and the third book hasn't even got an aligned page format.

Bogart on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hm. I haven't seen any really glaring errors with the books I've bought...but then they were all from the Black Library which actually embraced digital publishing, unlike the older publishers who resent e-books for "trying to destroy [their] traditional markets."

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited July 2011
    I'm not sure if you mean "several" or "severe" problems, but yeah I haven't come across a completely error-free book from the Kindle Store yet. Quotation marks in particular tend to be mangled when they occur with a lot of apostrophes. Not bad enough to kill the experience, but it is really disappointing. I don't think publishers give eBooks more than a cursory read-through before releasing them.

If you're getting public domain books, I highly recommend that you get them through Project Gutenberg instead of Amazon. PG has a very intricate proofreading process and their finished books are excellent.

I almost never come across proof reading errors when I'm reading. At least no more than I did with paper books. The only time they're noticeably more frequent is with the cheap and/or free classics that have been digitized.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hmm, it really depends. I've read several that are totally fine, and others that have some huge issues. I read "The Waste Lands" (Dark Tower #3) on iBooks and there was a part near the end where like 50 pages were missing.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • RinzlerRinzler Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I just read the first two Song of Ice and Fire books, and yeah, the first half or so of Clash of Kings had sometimes multiple spelling and punctuation mistakes on each page. Hasn't diminished the overall experience, I love the Kindle, but it was kinda annoying.

Rinzler on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, I'm now reading my third book on a Kindle, and so far every one of them has had severe proof-reading and/or typesetting problems. How common is this kind of thing on the Kindle? Do publishers just not bother checking the .mobi files much before releasing them to Amazon?

It's not just Amazon and mobi files. For whatever reason I find that ebooks often have way more mistakes than the print versions (like a good half dozen per book on average). Which is utterly backward.

I can only assume that I must just not notice errors in print.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

I almost never come across proof reading errors when I'm reading. At least no more than I did with paper books. The only time they're noticeably more frequent is with the cheap and/or free classics that have been digitized.

I hardly come across any either, unless they're free books that didn't get any proofreading or something. Also, badly converted pdf files tend to have a lot of errors.

And I'm rereading A Song of Ice and Fire and I'm on the second book and haven't seen any errors yet.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Pipe DreamerPipe Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well, I just started reading a new book today and less than 10% of the way through there have already been two errors. Both involve words that are need-lessly broken by hy-phens, which leads me to believe that the publisher just dumped the text of the paper edition into a file and called it a day. Blech.

Pipe Dreamer on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I meant 'severe'. Seriously, there were about twenty or so in each book, and the third book hasn't even got an aligned page format.

What kind of problems are you seeing? I'm about 90% thru Clash of Kings (got the quartet on sale a couple weeks ago) and haven't noticed any problems. I've had some issues where on resume I'm a page back from where I left it. I'd probably ignore typos, since those happen even in print, but am wondering about the format issues.

Djeet on
    edited July 2011
    OK, some of the errors I've seen in the books include:

Cersei being spelt Cer-sei.
    Dorne appearing as Dome.
    Burn becoming bum.
    Full stops appearing in the middle of sentences, and also not appearing at the end of sentences.
    Stark becoming Stork (this might have been in the third book, can't remember offhand).
    The entire text of the third book not being right-side aligned (I bought the two-in-one version).
    Etc.

I don't deny that typos also happen in print, but almost never (except for vanity presses) in this number, and especially not in such high profile books.

Bogart on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Darmak wrote: »

I hardly come across any either, unless they're free books that didn't get any proofreading or something. Also, badly converted pdf files tend to have a lot of errors.

And I'm rereading A Song of Ice and Fire and I'm on the second book and haven't seen any errors yet.

I'm reading the books again through the #1-4 bundle I bought (it's one file with all four books) and haven't really noticed any. In the books where I have noticed them, it's seemed to me to be OCR errors--some issues with dashes, spacing out names or words that are actually compound words, etc. I definitely haven't noticed anything to the level of what Bogart's experiencing (luckily).

[Edit]
    Well, I just started reading a new book today and less than 10% of the way through there have already been two errors. Both involve words that are need-lessly broken by hy-phens, which leads me to believe that the publisher just dumped the text of the paper edition into a file and called it a day. Blech.

Yeah, I've come across those types of situations... although I don't recall if they've been with my Song of Ice and Fire 4-pack, or other files previously.

LaOs on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    OK, some of the errors I've seen in the books include:

Cersei being spelt Cer-sei.
    Dorne appearing as Dome.
    Burn becoming bum.
    Full stops appearing in the middle of sentences, and also not appearing at the end of sentences.
    Stark becoming Stork (this might have been in the third book, can't remember offhand).
    The entire text of the third book not being right-side aligned (I bought the two-in-one version).
    Etc.

I don't deny that typos also happen in print, but almost never (except for vanity presses) in this number, and especially not in such high profile books.

Those are OCR errors, clearly. Notice how the visual form of the words is similar. 'm' looks a lot like 'rn', and vice versa. So yes, they have more errors because many books are scanned and OCR'd to turn them into ebooks rather than converting the text source itself, as would be logical. It's a shame. It'll probably get better as books are published with both physical and ebook copies in mind from the outset.

gilrain on
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Hmm, it really depends. I've read several that are totally fine, and others that have some huge issues. I read "The Waste Lands" (Dark Tower #3) on iBooks and there was a part near the end where like 50 pages were missing.

The Nook version of The Gunslinger was excellent. It went downhill rather quickly from there.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2011
    So, the brand new battery I bought for my Kindle 2 has started crapping out on me now too. I just bought the thing a couple of months ago, so it shouldn't be doing this poorly. I swapped back in the old battery (good thing I kept it), and I'm going to see what happens, but it looks like maybe there's something wrong with the power draw on my Kindle.

It's about two years old at this point, so I'm trying to decide if I should pay Amazon to fix it, or just buy a new one.

If Amazon swaps the battery out, and that doesn't solve the problem, meaning there's something wrong with the Kindle itself, I'm wondering if they'd just swap it out for a new one, or if they'd send me a K2 refurb.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    When Amazon releases ebooks does anybody know what time they do that? Are we talking 12:01 AM or at some more reasonable, sane time?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish