As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TF2] is now FREE!! You have no excuse not to play. Meet the Medic in OP!!

• SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Scottsman, if you're still interested in the Booties, I was looking at trading them for your vintage Trophy Belt.
    Also have a Quick Fix if you wouldn't mind trading for a spare Eternal Reward.

Skexis on
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    Demo-stylin'

He knows he's OP and doesn't give a fuck
    plfrontierfinal0000.jpg

This picture actually makes him look like a giant as an added bonus.
    golden-voyage.jpg
    ?

Endaro on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Skexis wrote: »
    Scottsman, if you're still interested in the Booties, I was looking at trading them for your vintage Trophy Belt.
    Also have a Quick Fix if you wouldn't mind trading for a spare Eternal Reward.

Sure. I'll probably be busy tomorrow, but I'd be down for both trades.

Undead Scottsman on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So fucking sick of heavies. It's the same shit on pubs even. Losing team brings out 3 heaves, wins in under 3 minutes. Please balance your game Valve.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Pata wrote: »
    Undead Scotsman.

Can I have that Vintage Charging Targe.

What do you got to offer for it?

I'll give you a refined metal.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited July 2011
    Eh sure.

EDIT: Just to keep things clear.
    DeMoN: I'm still willing to trade the "Your Eternal Reward" and a nametag for the Market Gardener
    AuburnTiger: I'm Willing to trade (or give away more likely) a cooler
    Pata: I'm up for trading the Vintage Chargin' Targe for a refined metal
    Skexis: Willing to trade Vintage Trophy Belt and a "Your Eternal Reward" for the Booties and the Quick Fix.

I probably won't be free until 5pm Alaskan time (6pm PST, 10pm EST) and possibly later during the week, but send me a Steam friends request/message if you're online and I'll try and get your stuff to you. Steam name is still UndeadScottsman.

Undead Scottsman on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    If anyone has a Made Man, I'm offering sexual favours.

Also http://www.tf2items.com/id/orikae .

Orikaeshigitae on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Charging demomen make this game not fun to play

tofu on
    edited July 2011
    Jeeze, four refined metal and a set weapon still only gives you a 50% chance of getting that. That sucks!

Undead Scottsman on
    edited July 2011
    Yeah. I hate the economy sometimes.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hey Ebo I was gonna post that replay where I shot those guys with a kritz but whenever I try to watch it the game crashes and says getdynamicbaseline: findstringindex(bullshit)

thanks valve

tofu on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So fucking sick of heavies. It's the same shit on pubs even. Losing team brings out 3 heaves, wins in under 3 minutes. Please balance your game Valve.

Pffft. My response to this is to snipe the hell out of their giant heads.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sniper and Spy can take care of that pretty well.

SirToasty on
  • Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Sniper and Spy can take care of that pretty well.

Not really though. Snipers and Spies both get countered fairly hard by groups of heavies.

Squidget0 on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Pretty much. Snipers and spies do not counter 3 heavy medic pairs. If they did, then most games on the PA servers would not be dominated by heavy medics.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I would argue that the issue is not that heavies are OP but the these pub servers lack players who are able to counter them.

But that's just me. Heavy-Medics are effective but far from OP... even three pairs of them (of reasonable skill) are not that hard for two decent spies and a sniper to stop. And if you let all three pairs build three ubers at once then thats kinda YOUR team's fault not theirs.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    edited July 2011
    see, i'd argue that a Saharan Spy with Dead Ringer could probably counter 3 heavy/medic combos alone, if he was careful.

It'd be butt hard. But there are a lot of skilled players on PA servers.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • LokiamisLokiamis Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If those 6 people were standing in a line and never turned around, sure.

Lokiamis on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I bring great shame to my family by doing so, but I have to side with Rami on this.

There's a bunch of reasons Heavy/Medic pair spamming is strong. The first is obviously Heavy's 1v1 combat strength since the movespeed/spin-up patch. If you're losing a 1v1 with a Soldier, Demo or Scout, you suck at Heavy. That's really all there is to say about it.

Then there's the "a good Spy/Sniper counters them" argument. What confuses people is that yes, good players of these classes will get kills on Heavy/Medic pairs, but that generally isn't going to matter. The presence of these pairs on the front line in the first place means that your own front line cannot engage them without being at a disadvantage. For your Spies, this means there's fewer distractions to take advantage of to get backstabs off; for your Snipers it means the enemy team is much more likely to be moving quickly to your position. In essence, you might stall the inevitable getting a load of kills on their H/M pairs, but your team is probably going to lose anyway for it.

There's also the issue that it's much easier and quicker to counter Spies and Snipers than it is H/M. Spies? One paranoid Pyro following the pairs around is going to mitigate a lot of backstabbing. Snipers? Well, if you've got the enemy frontline on the run, a Spy is going to have an easy time disrupting the Aussie.

The two options at the moment, neither of which are perfect, are Kritzed Sticky Demoman, which is as strong as ever, and Pyro/Engineer pairs (which PA never does because PA hates actually defending its engies and countering spies... seriously).

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    edited July 2011
    nobody ever does pyro/engineer pairs because it's incredibly boring

Lokiamis on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, why would any pyro just stand next to an engie nest for minutes on end while there are enemies running around not on fire.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    If those 6 people were standing in a line and never turned around, sure.

Well the Heavies are kind of going to be doing that. You'd need three inexperienced Medics, though.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well, two medic + heavies are enough to break a front or take a point, so you can devote the third one to watching the flank and mowing down any scouts/spies that go for your medics.

Squidget0 on
  • skizzenskizzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Demos that actually use stickies and pipes instead of silly melee setups are actually pretty good against heavies. If the heavy doesn't have medic then I'd expect to kill him or force him to run most time. If he does have a medic you can spam them in to slowing and retreating or set a trap and kill him, or his medic, or both of them. Or all 6 of them if they don't look up. (they never look up).

Hell against 3 Heavy Medic pairs it might be the one time the Scottish resistance is actually pretty reasonable? Have not tried that.

skizzen on
  • devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I rebooted HDC late last night. it should be up now

deveric on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I bring great shame to my family by doing so, but I have to side with Rami on this.

There's a bunch of reasons Heavy/Medic pair spamming is strong. The first is obviously Heavy's 1v1 combat strength since the movespeed/spin-up patch. If you're losing a 1v1 with a Soldier, Demo or Scout, you suck at Heavy. That's really all there is to say about it.

Then there's the "a good Spy/Sniper counters them" argument. What confuses people is that yes, good players of these classes will get kills on Heavy/Medic pairs, but that generally isn't going to matter. The presence of these pairs on the front line in the first place means that your own front line cannot engage them without being at a disadvantage. For your Spies, this means there's fewer distractions to take advantage of to get backstabs off; for your Snipers it means the enemy team is much more likely to be moving quickly to your position. In essence, you might stall the inevitable getting a load of kills on their H/M pairs, but your team is probably going to lose anyway for it.

There's also the issue that it's much easier and quicker to counter Spies and Snipers than it is H/M. Spies? One paranoid Pyro following the pairs around is going to mitigate a lot of backstabbing. Snipers? Well, if you've got the enemy frontline on the run, a Spy is going to have an easy time disrupting the Aussie.

The two options at the moment, neither of which are perfect, are Kritzed Sticky Demoman, which is as strong as ever, and Pyro/Engineer pairs (which PA never does because PA hates actually defending its engies and countering spies... seriously).

Engineers have guns and wrenches, they should defend themselves.
    I'm KIDDING. I actually enjoy playing defense as a pyro and hanging around engineer nests. I just haven't put in much time in PA servers because when I normally play they've been full.

I encountered the "Heavy is OP" thing myself the other night playing on a pub. My team was getting steamrolled, I was getting no support as Engineer, so I rolled a heavy about the same time another guy switched to medic.

We topped the scoreboard for the next three winning rounds. That was the most time I've spent playing Heavy since...well, ever.

Now, I don't really think Heavy/Medic is OP, just effective when played right. And I'm not going to even say I was doing it right, it's just that the other team kept running into my glorious hail of bullets and that strategy just didn't really work well for them.

Finally one of them realized "hey if I'm a spy I might be able to backstab that huge pile of death" and so I eventually had some problems, but we still won.

For all the rabble about hats, I still like that TF2 caters to all types of FPS players. I'm terrible at FPS games, primarily because I have no aim.

No aim? No problem! Heavy/Pyro, just point in the general direction and start firing...or go Engi and let your gun do the aiming for you! :)

citizen059 on
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Does anyone want to trade anything for my series 19/20/summer crate?

Edit: I was playing spy last night, and it finally started to click. Then I realized the other team just really sucked. Like a lot.

Erin The Red on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    Any team with Flippy on it will put an end to a Heavy/Medic combo.

Sheep on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think the fact that you need a top tier sniper to counter an average heavy medic pair is pretty good evidence that heavies are overpowered.

(not that anyone should need evidence at this point, heavies have been too strong for a long time now)

xzzy on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'll let you guys in on a little secret

come with me

over here

yes right here
    Kill the medic and the heavy dies easy to anything

There's a lot of generalizations and theory-crafting going on in here that makes no sense once you actually get in game

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    a pair of 3 medics and 3 heavies may not be impossible to deal with but it sometimes feels like it and it sure as shit isn't fun. want to win? spawn more heavies

tyrannus on
    edited July 2011
    heavies don't "die easy to anything" ever

Lokiamis on
  • devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

a trio of heavies gets overconfident to spies. and then they fall

deveric on
  • skizzenskizzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I agree that lot's of heavies is not fun to play against, but people moan about how strong the heavy is all the time. Before natascha was nerfed they moaned even more. It just seems to me that if you need to change your playstyle to effectively deal with a specific kind of threat, that's not OP, that's variety.

Just want to say, heavies are fat and when they are firing they are really slow. On any defense map I would bet on 6 demos over 3 medic 3 heavy. I would also bet on 2 demos over 1 medic 1 heavy. Demos pour out a lot of damage man.

Also using stickies is at the very least as easy as playing heavy in any way that is remotely effective.

Interestingly playing against a team of 6 demos spamming is not fun either.

skizzen on
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If they're coordinated enough to run 3 heavy combos and you aren't coordinated enough to stop them, I'm pretty sure they deserve the win. Its a team game afterall.

The real trouble is when you have a team coordinated enough to have both heavy combos and constant demo spam covering them.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    you pick heavy and tell someone else to be heavy. obviously that amount of work means they deserve to win.

and a pyro's variety in dealing with heavies - pick another class

tyrannus on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    nobody ever does pyro/engineer pairs because it's incredibly boring

Heck, if it's that much of a demand than I don't mind doing either role. I like either one, even if it means playing Pyro defensively.

Next time I hop onto the server I'll play only one of either, anyone else who wants to pair up with me will be most welcomed. I'll bring milk and cookies (and weapons).

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Sniper bullet to the head? Yes huh.

SniperGuy on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Anyone want to trade me the Scottish Resistance?

All I got is a crate, really. But I oh so do want this gun

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Sniper bullet to the head? Yes huh.

4 seconds where you're essentially paralysed in order to headshot a Heavy is incredibly risky, though!

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111