As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Fourth of July 2011 New Comic Thread

13»

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The faces look similar.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    ah, I see it now.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    We once lit one of those mortar ones that had about 15 shots in it and ran back. When we turned around we realized that the thing had somehow tipped over and was aiming at the crowd.

It was nuts. I imagine that's how war sounds... People screaming, explosions happening in the background. I still think about it every day.

urahonky on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    When I was a kid we had these colored pvc tubes with connectors so you could build...I dunno, forts or something. Every 4th we turned them into bottle rocket bazookas and pistols and stuff. Good times.

Also my favorite 'should be way cooler than it is' firework were those little tanks.

BHZYd.jpg

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Man I miss fireworks so damn much. This comic is perfect. One of my fondest memories of the 4th was when I was a little bit drunk, lit a bottle rocket, then put it in upside down in the beer bottle I was holding. I did not expect what happened next, though in retrospect I probably should have. I expected a bit of a burst, but instead, the bottle blew up in my god damn hand, leaving only the lip of the bottle that I was holding. It could have been way worse, but since it wasn't it just ended up being fucking awesome.

Also one time I nailed a dude in the face in roman candle wars at which point he started bitching that we weren't actually supposed to be hitting each other.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    Oh man, my dad fucking loved fireworks. And not that fucking bullshit sparklers and snakes crap. He knew a guy that would smuggle the good stuff in through the port of Seattle and my dad would buy several bricks of firecrackers, dozens and dozens of m250s, and many bottle rockets among other good stuff. And my dad was pretty cool about letting us set them off whenever as long as we weren't really fucking stupid about it. So my brother and I would go off into the woods and blow up slugs and other stuff with m250s and of course have bottle rocket fights. Good times.

nice try, gunpowder wasn't invented until the 9th century

Squall on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Houk wrote: »
    My favorite thing as a kid was to light bottle rockets and hold onto them till the last minute, then toss them at my cousin's pool where they would ideally shoot off and explode right as they entered the water, creating an awesome exploding water cascade

it was pretty awesome until one of them shot into my grandpa's face, who was getting ready to put lighter fluid into the grill to get it going. he didn't take so well to that

D:!

Henroid on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    We once lit one of those mortar ones that had about 15 shots in it and ran back. When we turned around we realized that the thing had somehow tipped over and was aiming at the crowd.

It was nuts. I imagine that's how war sounds... People screaming, explosions happening in the background. I still think about it every day.

Yeah, I mentioned earlier about how someone drove up on a four wheeler and threw a big box full of artillery shells into a camp fire while we were all getting drunk. It took us a second or two to figure out just had happened exactly, then we all ran off into the woods screaming as the shells detonated and started going off and it was like a warzone. The shells were shooting in every direction and blowing up in front of, next to, above, and behind us, while we drunkenly ran and zigzagged and tried to find cover.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Personal fireworks have been illegal in California since before I was born, I don't think I've even even seen a roman candle.

the hell if they are.

certain towns or counties may ban them (fuck you Marin) but not in other places. here they have firework stands all over where you can buy legal fireworks (proceeds go to local schools and charities).

keep in mind they are mostly "shower of sparks" types, nothing ariel or big explosions (ie. fun) but they are better than nothing, I always drop like $50-60 on a pack and light them off in the driveway/etc. everyone does.

of course bottle rockets and roman candles and ground flowers and firecrackers are easily had if you want ... shit they practically give you a trunk full firecrackers when you enter Chinatown.

jwalk on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't have any place to light fireworks where I live now :(

They have those big fireworks displays all over, but those aren't much fun.

My last 4th of July in Missouri, we got one of those big rolls of Blackcats. The ones with 2000 or so in a roll. We put gasoline on it, and put it at the end of our driveway. We sat at the other end drinking, and shooting roman candles at it.

Man that was fun.

mcp on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    Fireworks are legal in my city. But I live in an apartment and pretty much no apartment complexes let you set off fireworks in their parking lot.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "he was like an evil, patriotic wizard"
    can't stop laughing

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Man hearing some of the stories told in this thread make me glad I grew up mostly in Texas and not in some more restrive depressing state. Yes I said it.

We always had badass fireworks, and the times where we went to Illinois to visit my uncle involved driving through Missouri where there were TONS of not simple firework stands or Black cat stores, but massive warehouses full of mysterious treasure to be had. That shit had to be illegal anywhere BUT Mo and Mexico, jesus.

Also the kid who lived down the street who was older and a bit of a bully always had the best shit in the off season, supposedly his dad owned a firework stand and so he always had access to cool stuff. One of the street off our road was a stub and then undeveloped dirt. Eventually, years later, houses were built there, but when I was in middle school it was our barren wasteland to destroy shit. We used to light fireworks in August and the freaking neighbors would come out and watch or sit on their roofs. No one ever called the cops, no one got hurt, nothing burned down. Good explodey fun.

Bottle rocket or roman candle fights were fun. We used to crack all types of shit open then dump them in an empty firework cardboard tube with fins for flight, pack it in, attach a fuse, light and run like fuck because you had no idea if it would simply explode or shoot off towards you or simply reach for the stars.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    Squall wrote: »
    Oh man, my dad fucking loved fireworks. And not that fucking bullshit sparklers and snakes crap. He knew a guy that would smuggle the good stuff in through the port of Seattle and my dad would buy several bricks of firecrackers, dozens and dozens of m250s, and many bottle rockets among other good stuff. And my dad was pretty cool about letting us set them off whenever as long as we weren't really fucking stupid about it. So my brother and I would go off into the woods and blow up slugs and other stuff with m250s and of course have bottle rocket fights. Good times.

fart

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Squall wrote: »

:^: :^:

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I volunteered a few years ago to help with my city's fireworks. So we're talking a fully pyro crew and fireworks that were about as big as volleyballs.

My job was loading the fireworks. One of the volleyballs I loaded had a bad fuse, so it never shot. Not a big deal, you just skip that particular mortar and move on with the show. Ah, but another loader got overzealous, thought I missed one, and threw another one on top. And then to complete the perfect storm, the lighter just lit the damn thing despite pleas from behind him. The result was that 2 fireworks got jammed into one mortar and blew up on the ground.

I was about 20 feet away and got hit with some smoldering plastic that burned through my jacket. The guy next to it was luckily in his fire shit that protected him except for the impact, which had him get a huge wound from one of the impacts. I forget how many stitches.

The explosion was amazing, though. Being so close to two massive fireworks going off, it was deafening (despite having ear projection on) and also like being in a Michael Bay movie.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf