As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[AoC] Age of Conan: Now F2P and stuff

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    Well, giving it a shot again now that it's F2P.

So far it feels exactly the same.

Echo on
  • Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thankfully the content push has been consistent and focused on quality the past few months. I've been subbed for a while but just got my girlfriend to try the game free and she's loving it. Get into a good clan and AoC can be really rewarding.

A warning for all the PvP buffs and the twitch players, the combat in this game will ruin you for other MMOs.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    A warning for all the PvP buffs and the twitch players, the combat in this game will ruin you for other MMOs.

speaking as someone playing a caster

no, not really

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Too bad Necromancers arn't free to play. I really enjoyed my undead crew just ripping and tearing though the place.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    edited July 2011
    The way it works for old accounts is that you get to unlock two character slots, and which class that slot is doesn't matter. So I continued with my Bear Shaman, which I'd either have to sub or freemium to unlock otherwise.

Echo on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I would resub but a lotus assassin is a paid for class

Brainleech on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    The way it works for old accounts is that you get to unlock two character slots, and which class that slot is doesn't matter. So I continued with my Bear Shaman, which I'd either have to sub or freemium to unlock otherwise.

Ah. I must have missed that. Now I have to choose which class for my second slot.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • ShiningfuryShiningfury Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    From a trial years ago I had a Tempest of Set, Demonologist, Conqueror, and Herald of Xotli. I unlocked the ToS and it's pretty nice so far (level 22). I can't decide on the second slot, either. The Conqueror and HoX are both premium classes but I'm terrible at AoC melee and the HoX seems so strange.

Shiningfury on
  • Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

speaking as someone playing a caster

no, not really

True, casters are still clicky-clicky but there's still a ton of movement involved for a good PvPer. If you've seen some of the good demos or priests in a fight you know what I mean. They're near impossible to keep up with.
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I would resub but a lotus assassin is a paid for class

If you resub you've paid for the class.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Are any of the free dungeons good? And can you get max level with bestest every loot with a free account or are you forever gimped?

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Think of it like an extended trial, more than anything. You're locked to 2 gold maximum that you can spend at any time, will always lack 12 of the original bag slots. Can't access most of the dungeons, most of the classes... etc.

From a trial years ago I had a Tempest of Set, Demonologist, Conqueror, and Herald of Xotli. I unlocked the ToS and it's pretty nice so far (level 22). I can't decide on the second slot, either. The Conqueror and HoX are both premium classes but I'm terrible at AoC melee and the HoX seems so strange.

Conqueror is pretty damn fun so far, beefy and powerful with some really nice group/self buffs. I've tried both two handed and dual wielding, both feel fun.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    (cross post, in case there are people new to AoC reading this thread due to Unchained)

They've made a few improvements, but largely Age of Conan is the same game I played 3 years ago, and then, as the thread put it, promply unsubscribed.

Is it worth free? Yes, as long as you have nothing better to do with your time. Its pretty, has alot to do, and the melee combat is neat.

The biggest drawback of the free version is the classes. The free classes are all sort of boring. If you think you are going to play for a long while, I would do a bit of research and spend a few bucks on the class you want. You only get one jab at Tortage before it becomes repetitive and dull, so use it wisely.

Shurakai on
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I unlocked my ToS from launch who's around 60ish the other day. Also saw that I apparently had about 40 free levels to butter people up with and found out that I was still in Broodax. All alone. In the cold cold mountains. I also unlocked my Guardian I made for the last expansion. Then I was sad that I couldn't play in GS even though I owned it. I wish they really didn't do that. I mean Turbine didn't lock out people from MoM if they owned it? Or did they do something completely different with that?

Oh yeah, also I still have 1 extra unlock for some reason. Trying to figure out if I want to unlock another character or just start a new one. If I start a new one I would be restricted to the 4 classes or I can unlock my second ToS, Predator, Sin or whatever else I have that's a lower level.

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • meowmix_2000meowmix_2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've never tried this. I have plenty of experience with WoW, eq2, lotro. Why is this not that great? What are it's issues?

meowmix_2000 on
    edited July 2011
    It's issues were with the games launch, likely through corporate douchebaggery the game was put out before it was technically finished. To put it simply you would hit an area around Level 40-50 and... the quests were GONE! The end-game was apparently not working/nonexistent as well. Give you an idea 40 is only halfway through the levels.

But now it seems good, I see the usual banter of people looking to do high level stuff. Sieges work apparently. I'd say if you can play the game on your machine that you should go for it, it's an excellent waste of time. Just don't be too startled when the voice acting mostly stops after leaving Tortage.

To add I went and upgraded myself through Premium. Bought the Rise of the Godslayer expansion for a measely $10 and a 60-day time card for $12.99 at Gamestop. If the thought of the restrictions, which are access to only a 1/3 of the classes only up to 2 gold, less bag and bank space restricted access to dungeons etc etc annoys you, it'd be cheap to go premium if any shops around are selling the time cards still.

I'm curious to anyone who is trying/still playing. Where are you rolling? I'm on Wiccana currently which is a pretty packed server.

Arthil on
    edited July 2011
    Arthil, I made a priest of mitra on your server. I got to Tortage and it's not bad. It's not WoW level of polish but it seems more fun than Rift anyway. What's your name in game?

meowmix_2000 on
  • XzeanXzean Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Was wondering if anyone had an account from way back they wouldn't mind me using to unlock necromancer on a free thing? I was really psyched about this pre release, and then it sucked so I never even ended up buying it.

Xzean on
    9df14c6e1e43475d.png
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    im bout 400 megs away from playing, or atleast trying as long as my viddeo card doesn't stop me. I'm going ot play a barb for sure.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited July 2011
    Arthil, I made a priest of mitra on your server. I got to Tortage and it's not bad. It's not WoW level of polish but it seems more fun than Rift anyway. What's your name in game?

Hjorn or Lorntarf usually.

Arthil on
    edited July 2011
    I'm Scarne the bear shaman on the Crom server.

Echo on
    edited July 2011
    I'm on wiccana with craeven the barb.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited July 2011
    Just finished up Conall's Valley.

Fucking hell that is some old school "Hope you got a good group" fuckyouintheass difficult group quests.

Arthil on
  • The Rocking MThe Rocking M Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thats nothing compared to some of the bullshit the game pulls in Kara Korum.

The Rocking M on
    edited July 2011
    I'd be interested in only the priest classes. Can anyone compare them to say, WoW's healing classes? I've only played my priest of mitra to lv 6 so far. I do know the bear shaman is supposed to be the most sturdy one.

meowmix_2000 on
    edited July 2011
    I unlocked my 54 DT (Alject) on Wiccana, I'll be questing in Ymir's Pass if anyone would like to join me.

Having fun so far. I always liked the game, it's just it had a huge lack of things to do but it seems to be better now so far.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    edited July 2011
    It does not seem to run all that well, at least on my machine.

meowmix_2000 on
    edited July 2011
    Itas not exactly running like a dream on my machine but its running better then it prolly should.

Draeven on

edited July 2011
    Yeah, it's certainly not the most optimized engine ever but it sure is pretty.

LittleBoots on

They improved it quite a bit from what I recall, another thing to keep in mind is it WILL take your older machines out behind the Olive Garden, repeatedly.

I am runing it on the lower resolution textures, and have a b unch of stuff tunrd off and its not too bad.

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    There is something about this game that piques my interest every time I get another e-mail from Funcom that something new has come along to 'revolutionize' the game again. It's never been enough to actually make me come back to this game after quitting (played my 30 days of included time at launch and promptly unsubscribed), I have thought about it several times.

With no other MMOs that can really hold my attention these days, I may just fire this up one more time to see if anything from my old account is worth re-activating. After I build my new PC this month, that is.

Or, more likely, I'll find something better to play and once again forget about this game until I get another e-mail from Funcom reminding me that it still exists.

• drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    I have to check to see what I have on what server. But I'm sure I have something on Wiccan and Crom. I know my Guardian is on a PVE server and my ToS is on the PVP server. I don't remember the names very well.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
    edited July 2011
    Toxic Pickle! Come join the fun man, at release they botched up the content and there was a massive gap but now there are in fact MORE quests than you might need to level up honestly. This game is spoiling me with its melee combat, good god... I'll post up a picture of my Conqueror either here or in the screenshot thread soon I think.

Arthil on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    I sold my account long ago <3

t5qfc9.jpg
    *Smacks Zzulu with a fish* Bad Zzulu! BAD!

The sad part is I don't even know what servers my guys were on. I think there may have been an agreed upon server for Penny Arcadians back in the day, but I'm not entirely positive.

Anyways, may be worth trying out if I'm actually on a server with some of you jerks.

It's entirely possible, they merged it down to three servers, one PvP and two PvE plus the new Death & Glory type of server they added.

Dunno if they still split EU/NA, but I only see Crom/PVE and Fury/PVP.

I suppose that makes it much easier then. All my characters were on a PvE server (the dickery of open PvP servers is generally not to my tastes), which means that, if they still exist, they'll be on Crom(?).

None were very high level though... I'm fairly sure that I never made it past the first quest zone outside Tortuga with my Barbarian, which was my highest level character. :P Only reason to pick up the old alts at all is if I have any left that are now restricted under F2P.

• ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    I just checked out the first 20-30 minutes or so of the game and it's quite impressive.
    Graphically and mechanically it feels very modern, I really like the whole directional combat deal the game has going on.

How come it didn't do so well financially?

This discussion has been closed.