As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

War [Hesher] Battle Master

MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGELDU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse

Welcome to the new metal thread for all your hesher and headbanger needs for another several months!

FROM THE DUST RETURNED
Our own beloved autothrall's review blog, in which other thread members occasionally appear.

AUTO'S LISTS
Wonderful, painstakingly made lists. Need music suggestions? Slake your thirst here.

Hark! These be the rules! Heed them well or you shall be forever cast out of our circle, your only redemption will come in the form of returning to us with a new album from Wintersun. Ha!

Some basic guidelines for people just joining up with us:
  • we know that dethklok are the brutalest
  • we know that Dragonforce are the noodliest
  • we know that Opeth is some craaaazy shit, dog
  • we do, in fact, not look down upon Between the Buried and Me
  • we do, in fact, look down harshly upon Killswitch Engage
  • finally, we know that nothing good can come from the latest Morbid Angel release

We even have how-to-videos on babysitting while retaining your Hesher credibility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydHMU05BknE

PA.fm 2007 review thread
Our first community review blog
July 06 to April 07
June to December 08
January 09 to May 09
May 09 to December 09
December 09 to May 10
May 10 to September 10
September 10 to July 11

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
Morgenstern on

• hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Mmmmmmmmmmm - New thread smell!
    Just like when grandma used to boil up neighborchildren for the sister-wives.

hanskey on
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Try not get stains on the carpet for at least a week.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Did we ever create best of 2010 lists?

Morgenstern on
    edited July 2011
    ??

There were some, but I'm not sure that they ever made it to the OP in the last thread. I know there were a bunch of lists in FtDR for 2010; maybe just copy them in?

hanskey on
    edited July 2011
    Will do.

Morgenstern on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuDMZAvf5gw

Starting this shit off right.

Tav on
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Why do you guys look down Killswitch Engage? They are so dreamy <3

I aim on killing your ultra manly metal thread with the ultimate gayness.

Rotam on
    edited July 2011
    Can't wait a week to go into garbage mode? Fine then I will Fight Fire With Fire!

For the best of 2011, so far...

The best Metal I've heard in 2011

Another one from the best metal I've heard in 2011

hanskey on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Who's hating on Killswitch Engage?

I love Killswitch Engage.

Sweeney Tom on
    edited July 2011
    Who's hating on Killswitch Engage?

I love Killswitch Engage.

Autothrall has your response here.

hanskey on
    edited July 2011
    Someone didn't look at the rule board.

Morgenstern on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I had to look up what 'hesher' meant...

This is not a thread for me.

spool32 on
    edited July 2011
    Someone didn't look at the rule board.

Scene point card revoked. Shredded...

hanskey on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sorry.

To be fair, I've only listened to one of their albums (As Daylight Dies) and absolutely despise their most recent selftitled album.

Luckily, I'm good with the other guidelines in the OP, so I think I'll be OK.

Sweeney Tom on
    edited July 2011
    Sorry.

To be fair, I've only listened to one of their albums (As Daylight Dies) and absolutely despise their most recent selftitled album.

Luckily, I'm good with the other guidelines in the OP, so I think I'll be OK.

That's OK, but I can't un-shred the card, so post some TROO KVLT METAL!!

Edit:
    Rotam wrote: »
    Why do you guys look down Killswitch Engage? They are so dreamy <3

I aim on killing your ultra manly metal thread with the ultimate gayness.

If you make it less manly won't it also be less gay?

hanskey on
    edited July 2011
    That's better.

@Morg - I want a Black Metal babysitter. However, this person must be fueled by satanic hatred for all life just to keep up with my 2 year old boy and my 4 year old boy.

Those two grind nearly any babysitter to dust (including me), which in this case would end up as Death Metal babysitting - still good, but Zombies fucking stink (including me)!

hanskey on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wow. I just discovered the new thread as Raining Blood came up on a random playlist. Fuck yes.

Also, I just can't watch that video in the first post of Wrest without wanting to punch him in the face.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It is not the metal thread until you post the master...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRAXxYBnoRo

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
    edited July 2011
    Talking with my new co-worker with whom I'm sharing an office for the next three months.

"So, what type of music are you into?"
    "Uh, mostly metal...."
    "Oh cool, I love metal! Do you listen to BFMV?"
    "-.-"

Tav on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tav wrote: »
    Talking with my new co-worker with whom I'm sharing an office for the next three months.

"Uh, mostly metal...."
    "-.-"

I had a similar conversation at an old job a few years ago.

"So you're into metal?"
    "Yeah"
    "What bands?"
    "Vader, Darkthrone, Morbid Angel, Suffocation.. you know, the good stuff."
    "Oh. You listen to metal metal. I like Killswitch Engage and stuff."

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
    edited July 2011

"Uh, mostly metal...."
    "-.-"

"So you're into metal?"
    "Yeah"
    "What bands?"
    LOL -> metal metal!!

hanskey on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    hanskey wrote: »

"Uh, mostly metal...."
    "-.-"

"So you're into metal?"
    "Yeah"
    "What bands?"
    LOL -> metal metal!!

I approve of this terminology.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited July 2011
    Cantido wrote: »
    hanskey wrote: »

"Uh, mostly metal...."
    "-.-"

"So you're into metal?"
    "Yeah"
    "What bands?"
    LOL -> metal metal!!

I approve of this terminology.

I also enjoy calling metal metal KVLT and non-metal metal FALSE.

hanskey on
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm not understanding. Why would non-metal be false? I mean, is pop false? Jazz? Reggae? Blues? Classical?

Or are you simply referring to the trashy mallcore garbage most people mistake for metal because there are guitars involved with distortion turned on?

autothrall on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I like the black metal babysitting. I think I may do something similar with my daughter when she's old enough, but not old enough to articulate to her mother that we built a popsicle stick church and then lit it on fire.

Bolthorn on
    edited July 2011
    autothrall wrote: »
    I'm not understanding. Why would non-metal be false? I mean, is pop false? Jazz? Reggae? Blues? Classical?

Or are you simply referring to the trashy mallcore garbage most people mistake for metal because there are guitars involved with distortion turned on?

Option #2 - which generated shouts of "Death To False Metal" at that one show Homeless was at!!

\m/

hanskey on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah. False metal like A7X, BARF

Anyways, came here to post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPVvKEuQFeM&feature=player_embedded#at=200

They are in fine form, I think. Tom is sounding great on vocals. I'm kinda bummed I probably won't get to see them with Jeff at the end of the month. But alas... I think it should be a pretty sick setlist. Hoping I get "Black Magic" and "Antichrist".

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh, and Megadeth debuted a new song called "Public Enemy #1" at a show recently. I only watched part of it on Youtube because cam videos suck ass, but it sounded kinda cool.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Played a show on 4 hours notice today. Opening for Curse of the North. They didn't even say hello when we rolled up. Didn't watch even a little of our set. There were five people there, all of whom left when we were done. Lesson: be courteous at small shows. Hope they had fun playing for the bartender.

Homeless on
    edited July 2011
    Homeless wrote: »
    Opening for Curse of the North.

Who?

Tav on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    some dicks, evidently

L|ama on
    edited July 2011
    I misread it as Turbid North.

Morgenstern on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Turgid North.

L|ama on
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    New Deathspell Omega EP.

EDIT: So it turns out, not new, but from the split a few years back.

Glad for the thread title change. I appreciated the reference in the other one, don't get me wrong, but it was a bit of an eyesore.

Also, Moradin's Ancient Stone and Mystic Woods is nice atmospheric black metal for folks into stuff like Moonsorrow, Bathory, Immortal, Winterfylleth, Wodensthrone, etc.

And they're from Canada and named for a Dwarven god!

autothrall on
    edited July 2011
    fuck me

Children of Bodom's supports on their US tour are Obscura, Devin Townsend and Septic Flesh

Tav on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sounds like a leave early show to me. Unless the wife goes because she actually likes CoB. Eh, I've made her sit through Behemoth enough times.

Bolthorn on
    edited July 2011
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Sounds like a leave early show to me. Unless the wife goes because she actually likes CoB. Eh, I've made her sit through Behemoth enough times.

Fucking shit. That tour isn't coming anywhere near me! I'm probably not going to see it. I wish I lived in Louisville, then I could see it tonight without Children Of Bodom!

I thought I saw a date for Ohio on this tour, but I see now that is just a Skeletonwitch + Obscura show, no Septicflesh or Devin Townsend. However, I hear from the local promoters that there is a 50/50 chance of Devin Townsend doing a show in KC sometime in the next couple of months. It also sounds like October is going to be a good metal month in KC, hopefully I actually get to go to some damn shows.

You dudes on the East Cost are definitely getting treated though, because the tour is mostly going to be in your neck of the woods, like 10 shows or something *jealous*.

Now I am just annoyed, thanks Tav! ;-)

Edit: Looks like there's a big hole in Septciflesh's tour schedule since they aren't doing any shows from July 20th - Aug 10th. Hopefully, they'll add a KC tour date in there as well and we can get Devin Townsend and Septicflesh!

hanskey on
  • yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    guh Bodom tour isn't coming here, but Opeth and Katatonia are, so that's ok I guess. Haven't seen Opeth since um... Damnation tour I guess.

also The Sword is coming with Kyuss. I don't know anything about Kyuss except that they have something to do with QotSA I think?

yakul on
    edited July 2011
    Katatonia put on a great show if you like the last four albums. Opeth are ok but the lighter stuff doesn't really translate well to the stage. I'd still fucking love to see that tour though.

Tav on