As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Apple TV no sound

Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey so I recently purchased a second generation Apple TV and am trying to get it to work on an older Toshiba tv that does not have hdmi input. I bought a HDMI to Composite Video and Stereo Audio converter for a reasonable price here . This converter allows me to use either yellow (cvbs) or S-Video as input for the video signal and it works great, no problems. The issue is that the red and white stereo inputs give me no sound. I've tried them in a number of input locations and have had no luck with that or with any google research, seems mine is a rare problem since everyone else has new tvs :P Anyone know of a workaround or solution?

Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
camo_sig.png
Beren39 on

• Options
    pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hard to tell what the problem is, but let me say that up until a few weeks ago I had the same setup using that exact same converter. It works like a charm, but the ac adapter they include is crap and broke after about 3 months. I found a replacement at radio shack.

I didn't have a problem with the converter itself. Just used the RCA input jacks on the back of the tv, yellow plus the red/white for audio and never had an issue.

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • Options
    Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Did you need to adjust any settings on the Apple TV itself? Like switching off digital audio or anything? Weird that mine won't work, I was wondering if the converter itself was crap but your experience shows it can work.

Beren39 on
    Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    No I didn't have to change anything in the Apple TV other than to adjust the screen to fit in XBMC (mine is jailbroken). I had a bad experience with the ac adapter so I wouldn't really trust any of the included cables, they seem to be very low quality. It's possible the component cables are bad. I would try another set and if those don't work then it might be the unit itself or the inputs on the TV, but this converter does indeed work with the Apple TV.

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0