As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ask Whippy (Or ANYBODY) Thread Mark XVIII

• DayfatDayfat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Tylerbroor wrote: »
    When a green lantern (for the purposes of the question, Hal Jordan) is sleeping, can you just shoot him in the face? Does a protective shield always have to be consciously made? Is he stronger than normal without having to make something big and green? He can fly with the ring, right? And he doesn't need oxygen in space? I've been trying to explain to my homeboys that the lantern corps are nothing to fuck with, but they always bring up the sleeping shot in the head...

I haven't read GL in a while. Does Hal have one of those old rings that need to be recharged every 24 hours and won't work on yellow? If so, the ring would protect him from dying, even if it was a yellow bullet. (I think there was a Jack T. Chance story like that where he got shot by a yellow bullet by Lobo(?) and survived).

There's been a couple of times where he's just made himself stronger than normal without creating a giant boxing glove or something.

You can fly with the ring and don't need oxygen, yes.

Dayfat on
    MKDS 0086 5274 6687
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The rings do still need to be recharged yes, but the weakness against yellow can be overcome and really only affects new recruits now.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    So I have a Runaways/Marvel Universe related question:
    At this current moment in the Marvel Universe, we know Kingpin is in jail. He's even shown in the latest issues of ASM in jail. So flip over to Runaways, which has made reference to the Civil War, so it's obvious it's up to the most recent moment in the MU. So... Why is it that in the latest issues, the Runaways go to Kingpin for help? I suppose the real question is HOW, since they meet him in his restaurant with him in his typical getup. He should be in jail, yet here he is giving the Runaways jobs. What?

Because Whedon apparently hates the idea of his comics fitting in with things happening elsewhere

lettercolumn.jpg

It's more that he hates having to tip-toe around every other book Marvel puts out in order to write his stories. Not that they're that great anyway, but I can definitely understand how difficult it must be to plan everything you do around whatever Marvel's next big event is.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    SO is the one year later arc of Green Arrow, where Ollie is the Mayor of Starr City, a good one? Enough of one to buy the trade?

In fact, is there even a trade of it?

DharmaBum on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    SO is the one year later arc of Green Arrow, where Ollie is the Mayor of Starr City, a good one? Enough of one to buy the trade?

No. There is a trade, but...no.

I say stay away.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »

I say stay away.

Darn! It seemed like such a good premise to me.

DharmaBum on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ma and Pa owned a general store?

Scooter on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I say stay away.

Darn! It seemed like such a good premise to me.

It's really not that bad. It's way better then Nightwing OYL...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    Ma and Pa owned a general store?

Don't they all?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    It's really not that bad. It's way better then Nightwing OYL...

I've taken shits that told a better sequential narrative than Nightwing OYL, so that's not saying much.

Munch on
    edited June 2007
    So has Peter David abandoned the mystery of the second Multiple Man (Clay?) introduced in the Madrox mini?

Or are we meant to hear about that again someday?

I guess we're meant to assume that the girl and Clay aren't mutants either, but were rather born with their powers like Madrox. I still got the feeling that there was more to it than that, though.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    hughtron wrote: »
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    So I have a Runaways/Marvel Universe related question:
    At this current moment in the Marvel Universe, we know Kingpin is in jail. He's even shown in the latest issues of ASM in jail. So flip over to Runaways, which has made reference to the Civil War, so it's obvious it's up to the most recent moment in the MU. So... Why is it that in the latest issues, the Runaways go to Kingpin for help? I suppose the real question is HOW, since they meet him in his restaurant with him in his typical getup. He should be in jail, yet here he is giving the Runaways jobs. What?

Because Whedon apparently hates the idea of his comics fitting in with things happening elsewhere

lettercolumn.jpg

It's more that he hates having to tip-toe around every other book Marvel puts out in order to write his stories. Not that they're that great anyway, but I can definitely understand how difficult it must be to plan everything you do around whatever Marvel's next big event is.

Wow that seems like an unnecessarily aggressive response to a fairly simple question. I mean, either your books are all set in a persistent world, or they are all unconnected. And I love the bit where they basically say "if we were consistent, you'd get bored because you've got the attention span of a peanut... hey, look at the funny monkey!!"

Perhaps it is just from lack of experience with DC, but given all the Crisises and comments like that, I get the distinct impression that DC's various titles are far less inter-connected/in-continuity than Marvel. When something like the apperance of Atlanteans (or whatever) has been established, it would really irritate me if they just change it one day because they couldn't be bothered keeping track.

I don't care about pointless minute like which way someones hair is parted or whether he used to have two pouches instead of one, but I really don't think it is unreasonable for them to keep an established species apperance consistent over several books which are all supposedly set in the same world.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited June 2007
    For all I know, that letter was sent before there was meant to be a sprawling and consistent DC universe. It's been a while since there were mermaids in Superman.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ok, I read Identity crisis, and something I don't get. 3rd issue, I think, Flash is spying on Zatanna, Green Arrow, Atom, Blonde lady (?), and Hawkman. I just don't get how Flash can use his powers to make him invisible. As you can tell, I'm not too well initiated with the DC crew.

Captain Ultra on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Maybe he is moving so fast he is beyond their perceptions or something?

DouglasDanger on
  • Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I guess that makes sense, but wouldn't that make him like super loud? I mean, if he was moving that fast, then he is obviously breaking the sound barrier, so he should make a sonic boom, right? And plus, how could he hear them?

Captain Ultra on
    edited June 2007
    The explanation was probably "speed force." When a Flash or other speedster violates the laws of physics, the answer is "speed force"

DouglasDanger on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I guess that makes sense, but wouldn't that make him like super loud? I mean, if he was moving that fast, then he is obviously breaking the sound barrier, so he should make a sonic boom, right? And plus, how could he hear them?

Sonic booms occur once you break the sound barier, he could say step out of his house break the speed barier then run over to Zatana's.

Alternatively I suppose since he can vibrate himself through walls he could just be standing in a wall with only his eyes poking out, to be honest I haven't read IC for a while and don't know exactly what he was doing.

Or yeah, speed force.

Blake T on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yes, the speed force is awesome like that.

I don't know if it was already fully answered, but the ring can protect Lanterns even if they're unconsious or out of willpower. I have an issue where G'nort passes out and the ring makes a big pillow for him to land on.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Welcome to The Flash, the worst abuser of comic book science.

Lux on
    edited June 2007

You're thinking too much. Stop thinking so much.

Bad Karma on
    edited June 2007
    It also doesn't make sense that'd he run into a sword. That comic broke all the rules.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    It also doesn't make sense that'd he run into a sword. That comic broke all the rules.

There are no rules. And we've already had big, stupid discussions on these very same issues.

Bad Karma on
    edited June 2007

There are no rules. And we've already had big, stupid discussions on these very same issues.

That second sentence was intentional hyperbole on my part, but whatever.

I was just pointing out that the Flash in that mini wasn't consistent with other appearances, and so you won't necessarily be able to find explanations for what he does in those pages elsewhere.

If you accept that, then the conversation ends because there isn't anything to talk about.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    In Kingdom Come, the Flash is constantly vibrating and slightly out-of-sync with the physical dimension. He ends up being able to see Norman McCay and pull him from the Spectre's spiritual "dimension" into the physical dimension. I know KC isn't canon for Identity Crisis, but it's just another example of the Flash being able to use his speed to do things beyond just running really fast.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Briareos wrote: »
    In Kingdom Come, the Flash is constantly vibrating and slightly out-of-sync with the physical dimension. He ends up being able to see Norman McCay and pull him from the Spectre's spiritual "dimension" into the physical dimension. I know KC isn't canon for Identity Crisis, but it's just another example of the Flash being able to use his speed to do things beyond just running really fast.

It may not be totally canon, but it's getting close, as the current runs of JLA and JSA are showing.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    son of a bitch

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »

It may not be totally canon, but it's getting close, as the current runs of JLA and JSA are showing.

Aside from dozens of other variables. Kingdom Come is not a future for the current continuity DCU. It has it's own earth for christ sakes.

Bad Karma on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »

Aside from dozens of other variables. Kingdom Come is not a future for the current continuity DCU. It has it's own earth for christ sakes.

Correct.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    None of that stops creators from fapping over the Silver Age and doing stuff that echoes Kingdom Come, causing peope to get ants in the pants about it.

DouglasDanger on
    edited June 2007
    Is Jack Kirby's OMAC collected anywhere?

DouglasDanger on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dear Whippy (Or ANYBODY),

Where the hell can I pick the stuff up from the whole Onslaught thing? I mean I missed the whole damned thing but I have like EVERY TBP that takes place right after, and I can't find a TBP or issues or anything on it besides the Wiki.

Bucketman on
    edited June 2007
    Why did Alex Ross refuse to draw Kyle Rayner?

And why does he think the Joker does what he does, if he isn't insane (a theory referenced by him at least twice)?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dear Whippy (Or ANYBODY),

Why am I such a moron? I went to my LCS today and was keeping an eye out for books I can't find online. I *thought* I found a copy of Madrox: Multiple Choice, which I am really interested in reading but when I got it home it turns out I'd bought the Many Lives of Madrox (X-Factor Vol 3). All I can say is the description on the back sounds a hell of a lot like the Madrox mini, since they both seem to revolve around Jamie resolving to reabsorb his dupes.

I did plan on reading X-Factor eventually, apparently I'm starting with Vol 3 and working backwards :D

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

And why does he think the Joker does what he does, if he isn't insane (a theory referenced by him at least twice)?

To impress the ladies?

Bucketman on
    edited June 2007

Doesn't care for him, therefore he doesn't draw him.

Bad Karma on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What a prick.

Sars_Boy on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Is Jack Kirby's OMAC collected anywhere?

I don't think so, sadly. The originials aren't actually that hard to find though, at least I haven't had that much difficulty, and they usually aren't that expensive. I'm hoping that once they finish with the Fourth World Omnibus stuff they'll move on to Kamandi and OMAC Omnibuses. Or at least put out an OMAC Archive.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited June 2007
    Wow, here they are at mycomicshop.com. I didn't think it would be that easy. Hello, next comic purchase. I'll see you in a few weeks maybe.

DouglasDanger on
  • KumaKuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

None of that stops creators from fapping over the Silver Age and doing stuff that echoes Kingdom Come, causing peope to get ants in the pants about it.
    i answer questions, with other peoples answers

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
This discussion has been closed.