As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

War [Hesher] Battle Master

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    fit-400x320.jpg

Tav on
  • hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, a trusted non-internet having hesher has recommended the Daylight Dies album Lost To The Living. Anyone heard it and is it any good?

Edit:
    Tav wrote: »
    fit-400x320.jpg

Nice cover! After the disappointment of Crack The Skye, this new album is getting more exciting every day!

I really hope they get back to the heavier more sludgy sound of Blood Mountain, and this cover art is certainly suggesting that this might be what we are in for!

Edit x2: Nice quote from their wiki that definitely gets me interested:
    Speaking to AOL's Noisecreep, drummer Brann Dailor described the new material as not so much proggy as riff-oriented and "a little more stripped down," akin to that of Leviathan (2004) and "like a really super-heavy Led Zeppelin or something."

hanskey on
    edited July 2011
    yakul wrote: »
    guh Bodom tour isn't coming here, but Opeth and Katatonia are, so that's ok I guess. Haven't seen Opeth since um... Damnation tour I guess.

also The Sword is coming with Kyuss. I don't know anything about Kyuss except that they have something to do with QotSA I think?
    I haven't heard them personally, but - wiki quotes -
    the band released four full-length albums, and one last split EP in 1997 with Kyuss and the newly formed Queens of the Stone Age. This nicely tied up the loose ends of Kyuss and introduced the new band Queens of the Stone Age, which was initially composed entirely of ex-Kyuss members.

and
    The band's only continuous members were vocalist John Garcia and guitarist Josh Homme, but also featured Brant Bjork, Nick Oliveri, Scott Reeder, Alfredo Hernandez, and Chris Cockrell. Kyuss split up in 1995, and since then, members of Kyuss have gone on to form or play in several notable bands including Queens of the Stone Age, Fu Manchu, Dwarves, Brant Bjork, Eagles of Death Metal, Mondo Generator, Hermano, Unida, Slo Burn and Them Crooked Vultures. However, in November 2010, Kyuss announced a reunion as Kyuss Lives!, who plan to tour and release a new album in 2011.[3] Guitarist Bruno Fevery will be filling in for Homme, who has always discouraged talk of a reunion.

I have no idea if they are any good, but I bet LoveIsUnity has the finger on that pulse (I know auto's heard them too).

hanskey on
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Eh, Daylight Dies reminds me of mid-period Katatonia or Finland's Rapture, only not quite as good.

autothrall on
    edited July 2011
    Well that explains it then: he's a huge Katatonia fan. I suppose I'll give it a go, see what the fuss is about.

hanskey on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I really liked Daylight Dies first album No Reply. After that though, I sort of lost interest. I think a big part of my early like for them was also getting really drunk with them after a band I was in played a show with them, and then getting drunk with them again a few nights later when they were opening up for Lacuna Coil. I also felt Guthrie's vocals fit the band better than Nathan's, but that's just like my opinion man.

Bolthorn on
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Whoa, no way, man.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • I N V I C T U SI N V I C T U S Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    yakul wrote: »
    guh Bodom tour isn't coming here, but Opeth and Katatonia are, so that's ok I guess. Haven't seen Opeth since um... Damnation tour I guess.

also The Sword is coming with Kyuss. I don't know anything about Kyuss except that they have something to do with QotSA I think?

Kyuss are fantastic. The sound of driving through the desert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaeUak_35VU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftS-zFZTSc8

Keep in mind, however, that the touring band is without Josh Homme. I imagine the live show is still pretty great, though.

I N V I C T U S on
    BY THE HOARY FUCKING HOSTS!
  • yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    well that's hells better than QotSA anyhow

yakul on
    edited July 2011
    Huh, looks like I'm seeing Rotting Christ and October Tide for my birthday. Neato.

Tav on
    edited July 2011
    Has anyone heard of Shining (Nor) and are they any good? Just cross checking recomendations from less reliable sources...

hanskey on
    edited July 2011
    Shining are great if you like the whole Lifelover sdbm scene. Kvarforth is a bit of a tool but that doesn't really take away from the music.

Tav on
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wrong Shining.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
    edited July 2011
    There's more than one? Dang, the Norwegians must be pissed that the Swedish dudes got hella exposure from the whole sdbm boom.

Tav on
    edited July 2011
    hanskey wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of Shining (Nor) and are they any good? Just cross checking recomendations from less reliable sources...

If you're interested in progressive, jazzy stuff then sure.

autothrall on
    edited July 2011
    autothrall wrote: »
    hanskey wrote: »

If you're interested in progressive, jazzy stuff then sure.

I have no problem with jazzy progressive metal and actually enjoy some of it (Atheist, Cynic), but I'd like to avoid endless and useless wankfest albums, (no FtDR review) so I had to ask.

Edit: I'm really more in a black metal/heavy metal groove right now (thanks for the Greecian theme!) so I'll probably wait to check them out since you appear to be saying that they write good riffs/songs. Let me know if that's not what you saying and I'll just cross them off the list.

Edit x 2:
    Shining are great if you like the whole Lifelover sdbm scene. Kvarforth is a bit of a tool but that doesn't really take away from the music.

I do like Lifelover and Shining (Swe) probably fits my current mood better than Shining (Nor) so maybe I'll check them out instead.

Also, you are probably right, Tav, the Norwegians are probably pissed about that. I know a couple of Norwegian immigrants and they seem to really despise the Swedes.

hanskey on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Holy fucking shit
    278248_10150251470522948_5748157947_7310943_5646194_o.jpg

Awesome?

Or so awesome?!

edit: Spoiler'd because it's kinda big

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That cover art blew my fucking mind. I have no idea what's going on there, but I like it.

Anyone else listen to Ghost Brigade? They've got a new album coming out. "Clawmaster", one of the tracks off of it, is going to have a music video produced by Fursy Teyssier. You may remember him from Amesoeurs and Les Discrets. He's also worked alongside Alcest and has(or soon will have) produced artwork for quite a few bands, including Agalloch, Heretoir, and Drudkh.

His style has a very strange kind of "graphic novel" feel to it. Lots of sharp, distinct lines and interesting shading. Here's a quick preview of the "Clawmaster" video that was posted on YouTube. I liked it and simply thought I would share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc9X6PTc87Y

Liquid Ghost on
    edited July 2011
    I am not looking forward to the new Mastodon. The combination of "hurf durf people hated CTS so this album is going to be SUPER HEAVY" and the fact that it isn't going to be a concept album have me worried. I would like to be proven wrong, but I'm not expecting to be.

edit: Drudkh and Niege are teaming up for a project called Old Silver Key. First album out in September. Colour me excited.

Tav on
    edited July 2011
    I honestly don't think about their concepts while I'm listening, so I wouldn't be too concerned on that account.

autothrall on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Me neither. While the lyrics are certainly something I pay attention to when I'm listening to them, the overall story is often lost on me during the process. I just go along for the ride. Whether or not that makes me too passive a listener, I dunno, but I'm not tooooo worried about them leaving the concept side of things for a bit.

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited July 2011
    I find it gives their albums more of a flow. I find none of their albums are albums that you listen to individual tracks off, they're albums that you listen to all the way through to experience as a whole. CTS is especially like this. As individual tracks they're pretty mediocre but as an album it's pretty fantastic.

It's kinda like how you wouldn't listen to just one song off Scenes From A Memory or Sill Life.

Tav on
    edited July 2011
    See, I can listen to quite a lot of their songs independently, especially from the first three albums. Not so much Crack the Skye, that's the one I prefer to go straight through.

autothrall on
    edited July 2011
    also, speaking of concept albums, 234 years ago today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjtQVSZPm-M

Tav on
    edited July 2011
    Crack the Skye works best as a single listen through the whole thing, but I will still listen to "Oblivion" or "Ghosts of Karelia" by themselves.

Blood Mountain, I'm always listening to songs out of order here and there. "This Mortal Soil" though, goddamn.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    also, speaking of concept albums, 234 years ago today...

How did I forget about Abigail day? FUCK.

Mgcw on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That cover art blew my fucking mind. I have no idea what's going on there, but I like it.

Anyone else listen to Ghost Brigade? They've got a new album coming out. "Clawmaster", one of the tracks off of it, is going to have a music video produced by Fursy Teyssier. You may remember him from Amesoeurs and Les Discrets. He's also worked alongside Alcest and has(or soon will have) produced artwork for quite a few bands, including Agalloch, Heretoir, and Drudkh.

His style has a very strange kind of "graphic novel" feel to it. Lots of sharp, distinct lines and interesting shading. Here's a quick preview of the "Clawmaster" video that was posted on YouTube. I liked it and simply thought I would share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc9X6PTc87Y

That's not desaturated footage of them playing in an abandoned building, that can't be right.

L|ama on
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's not a forest or some sort of mountain top, either, which clashed with my ideas of what the video would look like. There needs to be really big wolves in there somewhere, too, and maybe some really cute girl just kind of wandering around in the snow.

Liquid Ghost on
    edited July 2011
    Band sounds almost exactly like Insomnium and mid 90s Amorphis. I remember reviewing the first album and not finding it all that great.

autothrall on
    edited July 2011
    Megadeth's 13th album is going to called 13. Alrighty.
    Speaking to DJ Tom Russell of Rock Radio backstage at the U.K. edition of the Sonisphere festival at Knebworth earlier today (Friday, July 8), Mustaine stated about the new MEGADETH CD title, "I started playing guitar at 13 and this is our 13th record and I was born on the 13th. As soon as I said I was going to call it '13', I started noticing 13 everywhere. They never used to have 13th floors in hotels but now they have them again."

Uh huh, sure you did Dave.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hi Dave, it's called the observer-expectancy effect, welcome to Retard 101.

Mgcw on
    edited July 2011
    New Anthem review is up. Good, but not as good as the last album.

I've gotten a few chances to listen to Decapitated, but I'll write that on Tuesday. It's not very good, and their worst overall, but I can't help but feel like the band hasn't written Wind of Creation level riffs since....yeah.

autothrall on
    edited July 2011
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Hi Dave, it's called the observer-expectancy effect, welcome to Retard 101.

I believe he passed that class with flying colours when he refused to play with Rotting Christ.

Tav on
    edited July 2011
    Megadeth's 13th album is going to called 13. Alrighty.
    Speaking to DJ Tom Russell of Rock Radio backstage at the U.K. edition of the Sonisphere festival at Knebworth earlier today (Friday, July 8), Mustaine stated about the new MEGADETH CD title, "I started playing guitar at 13 and this is our 13th record and I was born on the 13th. As soon as I said I was going to call it '13', I started noticing 13 everywhere. They never used to have 13th floors in hotels but now they have them again."

Uh huh, sure you did Dave.
    Megadeth has set "TH1RT3EN" as the title of its new album, tentatively due this Fall. Dave Mustaine announced the title on stage earlier tonight (Friday, July 8) at the Sonisphere festival at Knebworth, UK.

Tav on
    edited July 2011
    friday the 8th... friday... 5th weekday... 5+8=13.... open ur eyes...

L|ama on
    edited July 2011
    seriously though Fuck Dave Mustaine.

L|ama on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    autothrall wrote: »
    New Anthem review is up. Good, but not as good as the last album.

I've gotten a few chances to listen to Decapitated, but I'll write that on Tuesday. It's not very good, and their worst overall, but I can't help but feel like the band hasn't written Wind of Creation level riffs since....yeah.

I'm disappointed to hear this.

Bolthorn on
    edited July 2011
    Dave Mustaine hasn't broken both of his legs in a stage accident yet? A pity.

Liquid Ghost on
    edited July 2011
    edited July 2011
    Hahaha when I saw that's how the title was actually spelt out I just face-palmed and shook my head. Oh well. Hopefully the album itself is good.

GreasyKidsStuff on