As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Aussie PAX'ers!!

• thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I won't make you drink that stuff!

thegh0sts on
    Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fosters is optional, as well as the "authentic Aussie recipe" of the Bloomin' Onion.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited June 2011
    I'll stick with a coca cola thanks!

thegh0sts on
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    But, what will we do about the oil cans!?

AussieOilCans.jpg

They're not going to drink themselves people!

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited June 2011
    don't you mean you? I am not a beer drinker :)

thegh0sts on
    edited June 2011
    Fuck that, I ain't drinking fosters. That stuff is watered down, bootleg garbage from Canada (it's not even real Fosters, not that that really makes a lot of difference for the overall quality of the product) that isn't fit for human consumption in any context ever.

I'm just asking the question, what are we gonna do about it? :o

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • VemacitrinVemacitrin Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    I'll be turning up at SEA on the 24th, but I'll be (jet-lagged and wrecked) at PAX Dev during the day (+ 25th).

By night I shall be ready to drink beer* and eat steak.

*"Beer" does not include Fosters.

Vemacitrin on
    edited June 2011
    well, using it as part of a beer batter in fish and chip is out cos you're still consuming it. you don't want to waste it because it's beer...shitty it may be. so i have NFI in regards to its use.

I have never seen an Asian person drink fosters so I won't!

thegh0sts on
  • beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm just gonna throw this out there, but personally, I'd love an Aussie contingent at the Pre-PAX Dinner.

Just sayin'.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • nemokittynemokitty Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sounds good to me!

nemokitty on
    edited July 2011
    so any suggestions for restaurants in the downtown area?

thegh0sts on
  • tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    beta_angel wrote: »
    I'm just gonna throw this out there, but personally, I'd love an Aussie contingent at the Pre-PAX Dinner.

Just sayin'.

i read your thread on the Pre-PAX dinner and it sounds amazing man, I'd love to come, assuming my jetlag isn't too serious :P

@ghosts- Quicksnap suggested a good place
    month plus change to go til PAX! lookin forward!

tokyodove on
    edited July 2011
    for me it's 7 WEEKS BABY!!!

WOOOOOO!!!!!

thegh0sts on
  • nemokittynemokitty Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    thegh0sts wrote: »
    for me it's 7 WEEKS BABY!!!

WOOOOOO!!!!!

Dancing time! *dance dance*

nemokitty on
    edited July 2011
    So the general idea behind the Australian Outback Steakhouse invasion was to go to the Outback Steakhouse (which is just down in South Lake union, you can take the SLUT from westlake center to get there) and be overwhelmed by both the irony of a bunch of Australians going to an Australian restaurant and the company of new friends and faces that you meet therein.

The food's pretty good and decently priced and each time I've thrown one if these events, it seems like people have more fun each time(I actually had a few people bug me about it least year because they wanted to go again, thus the Fosters image).

You can always head over to the Pre-PAX Dinner if you still like afterwards.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited July 2011
    so a steakhouse dinner on the 25th? or is that lunch?

thegh0sts on
    edited July 2011
    We can do either. I know you (and possibly others) had expressed interest in doing the MMT and in truth, I was probably gonna do it myself. We could plan for an early dinner, say 4:30-5:00ish?

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited July 2011
    anyone interested in doing after dinner stuff?

thegh0sts on
    edited July 2011
    there's a 3 hour handgun training class in Bellevue....tempted to shoot guns while I am in the US!

:p

thegh0sts on
    edited July 2011
    Guns are always a good time. I know where the gunshop is too. :D

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited July 2011
    QuickSnap wrote: »
    Guns are always a good time. I know where the gunshop is too. :D

the range i was looking into was West Coast Armory. they have a introductory course on the 25th from 6-9pm in Bellevue.

thegh0sts on
    edited July 2011
    is jaywalking something i have to look out for while im in seattle?

tokyodove on
    edited July 2011
    Yes and no. Unlike in cities like Boston, where Pedestrians are suicidal maniacs, walking when there's ever there's more than a ten foot break between cars, In Seattle we generally wait till their's a bit more of a clear absence of traffic if the light hasn't changed.

If it's clear to walk, go ahead, no one's going to call you out on it. Otherwise, do as the locals do and mind the lights. :D

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited July 2011
    QuickSnap wrote: »
    Yes and no. Unlike in cities like Boston, where Pedestrians are suicidal maniacs, walking when there's ever there's more than a ten foot break between cars, In Seattle we generally wait till their's a bit more of a clear absence of traffic if the light hasn't changed.

If it's clear to walk, go ahead, no one's going to call you out on it. Otherwise, do as the locals do and mind the lights. :D

that's more like common sense!

but yeah anyone wanna do some pre-PAX pistol shooting? I do!

thegh0sts on
  • Reverend SnideReverend Snide Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    tokyodove wrote: »

This might seem really stupid to people who've travelled a lot, but when you've spent your whole life expecting traffic to come from one direction, I found it a bit weird at first to suddenly have the direction reversed. :)

If you're worried (or jetlagged :) ) just follow the traffic lights. Pedestrian crossings mostly have basketball-style 'shot clocks' on them to let you know how long you have before the lights change.

Reverend Snide on
    Have miles, will travel | Twitter | XBL: Reverend Snide | Wii U/PSN: ReverendSnide
    edited July 2011

This might seem really stupid to people who've travelled a lot, but when you've spent your whole life expecting traffic to come from one direction, I found it a bit weird at first to suddenly have the direction reversed. :)

If you're worried (or jetlagged :) ) just follow the traffic lights. Pedestrian crossings mostly have basketball-style 'shot clocks' on them to let you know how long you have before the lights change.

ah yeah thats a good point knowing my luck id look one way and get hit from behind

tokyodove on
    edited July 2011

ah yeah thats a good point knowing my luck id look one way and get hit from behind

especially when you got your luggage slowing you down! i'll be lugging 2 backpacks with me (1 as my luggage and the other is my day bag).

thegh0sts on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yesterday amidst the mass exodus from the fireworks display downtown, I was leaving work and had the displeasure of being gridlocked right next to our Fosters-fueled Outback Steakhouse. But it's not there anymore.

Apparently that location - the one closest to PAX by a long shot - has closed down forever and become a bro-tastic mexican restaurant and lounge called Trago.

Looks like we need a new place to dine. If you still want to go "Authentic Seattlol Aussie" there's the Kangaroo and Kiwi pub up on Aurora, but it's a bit of a bus ride. Otherwise, Seattle has a LOT of fab places to have a good meal. We need to figure out a place and have a rough number of us attending so we can get a reservation, or at the very least warn the staff that we're coming en masse.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited July 2011
    any of you drive/have a car that you can carpool in? LOL

serious question though!

thegh0sts on
    edited July 2011
    I have Buick Century that seats five (six if the persons wishes to be squished between the passenger and drivers seat). If we're gonna make the trek all the way up to Aurora, there is a much better restaurant/bar right next door at Beth's Cafe/Duck Island Ale House. For that matter, if we're going out to that neck of the woods, I can think of a dozen odd different places that would be a hell of a lot of fun. Places where you can get Liters of Beer.

Think about that for a second.

Liters of Beer.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited July 2011
    isn't there are mr. moo's barbeque restaurant somewhere in Seattle outskirts?

bbq would be awesome!

EDIT: googled it and it got closed down :(

thegh0sts on
    edited July 2011
    If it's a BBQ yous a lookin fo', I think I cahn help yas with that. Look on over through that yonder hole in the wall over thar.

Of course, it all depends on what kind of BBQ you're looking for. ;D

So since the outback is closed down, I can look for alternatives for an Aussie Invasion Dinner. Does anyone have any preferences or interests?

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited July 2011
    anybody here ever stayed in LA or san fran? im going down the west coast after PAX, and ive got some hotels lined up but if anybody knows a good cheap hotel it'd save me a bit of scratch

tokyodove on
    edited July 2011
    anybody here ever stayed in LA or san fran? im going down the west coast after PAX, and ive got some hotels lined up but if anybody knows a good cheap hotel it'd save me a bit of scratch

best way to search type in "hotels in san francisco" via google maps and it'll show you the hotels in the area. i was going to book North beach hotel before but i think that's a start for a < $100/night place.

thegh0sts on
    edited July 2011

best way to search type in "hotels in san francisco" via google maps and it'll show you the hotels in the area. i was going to book North beach hotel before but i think that's a start for a < $100/night place.

yeah ive already gone through the rigmarole of searching google and tripadvisor etc. was just wondering if somebodys stayed in LA and can give a first hand recommendation for a good place to stay

tokyodove on
    edited July 2011

yeah ive already gone through the rigmarole of searching google and tripadvisor etc. was just wondering if somebodys stayed in LA and can give a first hand recommendation for a good place to stay

fair enough, the more info you can get the better i guess...would be handy.

thegh0sts on
  • smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

I've been to both, but I don't know any good places to stay in LA. It is also my opinion that LA is a hole. These facts may be related. I generally stay in Hostels when I travel, and I like 'USA Hostels San Francisco'. The best place to stay is of course a Friends' couch. Hotels rarely have xbox.

Ed: I generally stay at the airport radisson (curled in a foetal ball whimpering) for a day or so before getting on the PAX Train to get over jet lag. The whimpering is not all because I'm a wimp, it also has a lot to do with being in LA.

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
    edited July 2011
    actually i might skip on the gun shooting for now as i have a semi-tight schedule and it would be nicer to meet other Aussies for an M&G dinner instead.

thegh0sts on
    edited July 2011
    Okay, so I know we'd tentative agreed for the afternoon/evening of 25th for such a M&G dinner, can I assume that that is now our hard and fast date? If so, I'll restate earlier questions, where would you guys like to eat/what are you gonna be hungry for?

Seattle has a wide variety of fine cuisine, everything from seafood to steak to bbq to sushi, pizza, burgers, you name it.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sadly I shall most likely still be on the PAXTrain at that time.

TokyoDove, did you manage to find a 3 day pass? I was hunting the FAQ forums for something else and saw your post.

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?