As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War

DashuiDashui Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
Ace Combat Zero for the Playstation 2 is released, and seeing how the series is one of the best and most intense flight action series available on the Playstation 2, I figured a new thread was needed. The game was released in America on April 25th. As is tradition, the new title sports many improvements over past titles to increase the intensity and fun of aerial combat.

acecombatzero_jpboxboxart_160w.jpg

Features include:

* A story set in the Belkan War, taking place 15 years before the events of Ace Combat 5.

* Increased enemy intelligence. They will work together to lure and defeat you and your squad members.

* A Rival Ace system, new to the series. Depending on your title, enemy ace squadrons and pilots will appear mid-mission to challenge you and make completing your objectives that much more difficult. Not only do they look cooler than regular enemies and have unique planes, they are much more intelligent than regular pilots and can maneuver and fight on a whole new level.

* You can earn titles depending on your style of play. These titles include Knight, for the player who disables enemies instead of killing them (this is possible, but difficult), Soldier, for the player who sticks to the mission objectives and does not deviate or do extra, and Mercenary, for the cold blooded killer who enjoys destroying everything in his path. Your title will determine how you branch through missions and what rival aces will appear mid-mission.

* Hand-pick your wingman's weapon selection.

* Documentary-style cutscenes featuring live actors. If the trailer is any indictation, we won't have to worry about poor and shoddy acting.

* Multiplayer split-screen battles! Joy!

Aircraft list:

A-10A Thunderbolt II (Attacker)
ADF-01 Falken (Fighter)
ADFX-01 Morgan (Fighter)
EA-6B Prowler (Jammer)
EA-18G (Jammer)
F-1 (Attacker)
F-2A (Attacker)
F-4E Phantom II (Fighter)
F-5E Tiger II (Fighter)
F-14D Super Tomcat (Fighter)
F-15C Eagle (Fighter)
F-15E Strike Eagle (Attacker)
F-15S/MTD (Fighter)
F-16C Fighting Falcon (Fighter)
F-16XL (Attacker)
F/A-18C Hornet (Multirole)
F-20A Tigershark (Fighter)
F-22A Raptor (Fighter)
F-35C Multirole
F-117A Nighthawk (Attacker)
J-35J Draken (Fighter)
JAS-39C Gripen (Multirole)
MiG-29A Fulcrum (Fighter)
MiG-21 bis Fishbed (Fighter)
MiG-31 Foxhound (Fighter)
Mirage 2000D (Attacker)
Rafale M (Multirole)
Su-27 Flanker (Fighter)
Su-32 Strike Flanker (Attacker)
Su-37 Terminator (Fighter)
Su-47 Berkut (Fighter)
Tornado GR.4 (Attacker)
Typhoon (Fighter)
X-02 Wyvern (Multirole)
X-29A (Fighter)
YF-23A Black Widow II (Fighter)

ace-combat-zero-the-belkan-war-20060303005319194-000.jpg

"This is the round table; dead men's words hold no meaning!"

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
Dashui on

• Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Bough't.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Tally Ho!

Winchester

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    So, how do you intend to play? Personally, I'm going to try to earn a Knight rating. What can I say, I'm a goody two-shoes.

Dashui on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Always a good series. My first PS2 buy in few months, actually.

I wonder if you will be flying in a level where the Belkans dropped some atomic bombs to stop your advancements as was told in the narration to AC5. That would be awesome.

AC4 still holds that place in my heart as the best of the series. Let's see how this one measures up.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    TexiKen wrote:
    I wonder if you will be flying in a level where the Belkans dropped some atomic bombs to stop your advancements as was told in the narration to AC5. That would be awesome.

Oh man, if they do that, I will die and go to heaven. I can just imagine it, with someone on the radio screaming, "GET OUT OF THERE!"

Dashui on
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Holy crap! I had no idea this was coming out so soon. I haven't even gotten around to buying MP:H or Tetris DS yet. :(

This is the only long-ish series I've ever played where every game was a step above the previous one (not counting AC: Advance), so I hope this one continues the trend. Also, this is the third one in a row with these countries, isn't it?

Kaputa on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    So...
    Any details on who you'll be playing as? I wouldn't put it past them to make you a Belkan, and have to be the poor asshole who drops the atom bomb on your own country to keep the "aggressors" out.

And if one of those enemy aces is Heartbreak 1, well then... I'm going to be very happy.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    MegoDrDoomMegoDrDoom Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I love these games

ace combat 4 is among my favorite games of all time

jet fighting, captivating story

I swear to god I bought the sound track for 3 songs ( the opening cinematic, when the boy meets the enemy fighter, and closing cinematic)

5 was cool not on the level of 4

lets see with this one, i'm getting it.

MegoDrDoom on
    XBL and PSN - MegoDrDoom
  • Options
    Heavy EHeavy E Toronto, ONRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2006
    I just can't wait till we get an ace combat game with online multi-player, I think it would make a awesome co-op game with voice support.

Heavy E on
    "I have confidence in my hard on!" Ryo Saeba (City Hunter)
    WOW - Dark iron - Eldrick
    PSN - HeavyE
    Live - Heavy E
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Heavy E wrote:
    I just can't wait till we get an ace combat game with online multi-player, I think it would make a awesome co-op game with voice support.
    Oh man, that would be so awesome. Wingmen that you can actually give orders to?

"Hey fuckers! I'll, um, make sure no more fighters come, while you guys fly through the tunnel that's barely wide enough for your planes! See ya!"

Kaputa on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Over G is coming out for the 360. it will have all the live fixins

im gonna try it but it'll never dethrone AC.

http://games.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1286/Over-G-Fighters/

MegoDrDoom on
    XBL and PSN - MegoDrDoom
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    My main disappointment with 5 was how the player didn't seem involved in the story at all except while in the air. Did we even exist in cutscenes? AC4 is still my favorite, but I'll definitely give this a try. Hopefully the AC5 joystick will work with it.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    DralloDrallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I've never played an AC game, but I can say I'm very excited for this.

Drallo on
    katamarisig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Drallo wrote:
    I've never played an AC game, but I can say I'm very excited for this.

For the love of god and all that is holy, go buy AC4. It is way worth the $20

MegoDrDoom on
    XBL and PSN - MegoDrDoom
  • Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I have maxed out my AC5 file to 100% completion. I have every aircraft, every paint scheme, S ranks on all missions and on all difficulties.

I have no life.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    ThylinasThylinas Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    The mission in Ace Combat 4 where you were flying around the city at night, dodging sky-scrapers and listening to press reports was one of the most memorable moments I've ever had while playing a videogame.

It would be hard for anything to top it.

Thylinas on
    My signature was sucking, so I changed it.
    It still sucks though.
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Thylinas wrote:
    The mission in Ace Combat 4 where you were flying around the city at night, dodging sky-scrapers and listening to press reports was one of the most memorable moments I've ever had while playing a videogame.

In 5, I really liked taking down those submarines. I felt really cool doing that. I'd go straight up into the sky, then nose dive right down at the submarine, dodging missiles and letting fly my own before pulling up right before the sea. Ace Combat Zero better be chocked full of awesome moments like this, and if that trailer is any indication, then hell yeah it will be!

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Dashui wrote:
    Thylinas wrote:

In 5, I really liked taking down those submarines. I felt really cool doing that. I'd go straight up into the sky, then nose dive right down at the submarine, dodging missiles and letting fly my own before pulling up right before the sea. Ace Combat Zero better be chocked full of awesome moments like this, and if that trailer is any indication, then hell yeah it will be!
    You know, the ubersub fights were a lot easier if you just

[spoiler:74ccf9ed10]took the F/A-18, JSF, or anything else that had the LASM. Because one pair of those kills all of the AA guns and SAM turrets.[/spoiler:74ccf9ed10]

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    The_RatThe_Rat Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Zero is an amazing song.

The_Rat on
  • Options
    EpiphyteEpiphyte Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I'm curious, what would you compare the AC gameplay too? I would imagine its fairly arcadey, so does it play a bit like Rogue Squadron?

Edit: Holy Shit, that trailer is fantastic!

Epiphyte on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Epiphyte wrote:
    I'm curious, what would you compare the AC gameplay too? I would imagine its fairly arcadey, so does it play a bit like Rogue Squadron?

Yeah, I'd say the two were comparable. It's very light on the flight sim side and more about blowing shit up with pretty graphics. It does have a virtual cockpit mode for us flight-simmers, though.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    ChartChart Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    ACH! Mein wallet!

Chart on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2006
    I've already spent like $3000 dollars this weekend, what's 50 more?

A duck! on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    So do you guys play this with a flight stick? I've always meant to check it out

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    ChartChart Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    A duck! wrote:

I guess that would make it.... 50$ more... Duh.

Chart on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    The_Rat wrote:
    Zero is an amazing song.

That and the Credits... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    i own and enjoy AC5, and i just wish 0 had some sort of flight stick deal or online play, but until then, i think i can hold off for a little bit on it. (even though i dont think its 50 new, i thought it was like 40)

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2006
    Chart wrote:
    A duck! wrote:

I guess that would make it.... 50$ more... Duh.

More like $50 more.

Duh.

A duck! on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    It better have 480p.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I own AC2 to whatever was before this, and want this.. but I also want HoMM V.. and I don't really want to buy both. Then theres the new front mission sometime in the future, gosh, I hate the concept of money right now.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Drovek wrote:
    The_Rat wrote:
    Zero is an amazing song.

I've only really listened to Zero so far. I kept it playing for about an hour straight, it was that awesome. I guess I should check out the others ones now. :lol:

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Dashui wrote:
    Drovek wrote:
    The_Rat wrote:
    Zero is an amazing song.

I've only really listened to Zero so far. I kept it playing for about an hour straight, it was that awesome. I guess I should check out the others ones now. :lol:

http://jeff.ali213.net/ACZero/index.htm

here you go.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    SolSol Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Wow it's coming out so soon? Blast, I'm a have to hold out and get a bit after it comes out maybe, I barely got AC5.

Sol on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Dashui wrote:
    Drovek wrote:
    The_Rat wrote:
    Zero is an amazing song.

http://jeff.ali213.net/ACZero/index.htm

here you go.

Your link doesn't work, and if that's that ACZero soundtrack, I already linked to a page that's working and that has it on the first post.

Dashui on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I am all over this, and it will likely be the last game I buy for quite a while.

Renzo on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I hope they improved the radio chatter. AC5 radio chatter was just so stupid.
    awful voice actor #1 overacting: "Is this what war is like!?!?"

we're flying very expensive airplanes and there are radio protocals to be followed when in a middle of dogfight, please keep your dumb ass comments like this to your self.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    The_RatThe_Rat Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Yeah, Ace Combat 4 radio chatter beats 5. 4 was much more businesslike, you actually feel like you're in a squad. 5 sounds like a bunch of regular people in planes.

Halo 3, engage. Moebius 1, engage. What was the name of the wingman with the really cool voice in 4?

The_Rat on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    The_Rat wrote:
    Yeah, Ace Combat 4 radio chatter beats 5. 4 was much more businesslike, you actually feel like you're in a squad. 5 sounds like a bunch of regular people in planes.

Halo 3, engage. Moebius 1, engage. What was the name of the wingman with the really cool voice in 4?

You know, Rat, your sig has pops a brain cell every time I look at it. I just thought I'd share that. And I didn't mind the radio chatter in 5, although if you say 4 is better, than I hope Zero is like 4. My copy should arrive by Tuesday, or if I'm lucky, Monday, so I'll see how it goes and give you guys some impressions.

Dashui on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Shack on the Target

I found the next to last mission in AC 5 to be one of my favorites, strickly because of the "choir" and the media reports coming up, I wish there are a lot more skyscaper battles. But for the love of Buddah, NO MORE COIN TOSSES!

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Yeah, the chatter in 4 was better than 5, IMO. It did a lot for immersion. What I liked was at the beginning of the game no one knows who you are and the enemies' chatter reflects that. As you get further into the game and racked up some kills, the enemy starts freaking out when they see your plane. "That plane has a ribbon insignia! Is that Moebius 1?" "I don't want to die!" Or your own forces seeing you arrive. "It's Moebius 1! Maybe we have a chance after all!" Awesome stuff (hell, I'm getting goosebumps just remembering it). The fact that your character didn't say anything just added to the cold, bad-ass killing machine persona. The lack of anything from your character in 5 just made it feel like they kept you in a closet and wheeled you out to kick ass from time to time.

And I love love loved the cutscenes in 4. It seemed like they put more work into the story in 5, but for me the story in 4 was much more powerful. It felt like what you were doing mattered to people other than your military. In 5, I just felt like I was living a bad anime. Hopefully Zero will get closer to 4 in presentation. A little more realism and a little less fairy tale.

Don't get me wrong, AC5 was still a great game. It was just a bit of a disappointment to me after how much I loved 4 and the reasons I loved it.

I still say they should make an AC like Strike Commander meets Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. Have you be in charge of a mercenary pilot group taking missions, buying equipment, and hiring pilots, with some sort of over arching storyline to follow as you want depending on certain missions. Man, that'd be awesome.

Sir Carcass on