As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BATMAN

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm talking about Batman R.I.P.

the issue where he actually died

and none of those issues are resolved

the one where at the end you're thinking

"ok, according to this, Batman died in a helicopter crash, caused by doctor hurt, who seems to be Bruce Wayne's father, and also maybe the Devil"

everything is resolved in literally real life years later

but that issue is basically a giant clusterfuck

really because at the end I was thinking "that dude is totally insane and can't be trusted to tell the truth about anything, who knows who he really is", and I was right

plus Batman didn't die in that crash, you should read the follow-up trade Time and the Batman

how is "crazed devil worshipping ancestor of Bruce Wayne from hundreds of years ago who just happens to have the same name as Bruce's dad and who got turned immortal by Darkseid and actually was temporarily adopted by Bruce's parents as "Thomas Wayne Jr." and then sent away to a mental hospital for 30 years" any better.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    the spider-man vs. batman thread is my vietnam

Do you remember the who would win villain contest in GV?

Surely DOOM would win

Because he is DOOM

loki won

Hmmm

I guess Loki is a good enough choice

And while I love Taskmaster (and I do) he really is a villain for guys like Cap and Wolverine, he's not a Doom or a Loki or a Magneto, those guys are the real heavyweight villains.

Actually thinking about it I would have gone for Thanos but whatever.

BUT he had his hard light weapon mimicker!

Langly on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Surely DOOM would win

Because he is DOOM

loki won

Can we please have one of these within SE++? I wasn't actively around when the last one happened but from the sounds of it would be jazzed to participate in it.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    FAQ wrote: »
    dark knight rises teaser trailer next week

still not happy about Bane and Catwoman being the villains

I have no doubt Nolan will do them justice

I just feel there were more worthy candidates

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    more to the point

has batman come back yet

did he have a tearless, manly reunion with the Bat-family or any of his super friends

because those are the issues I want to read

yes, you should buy Time and the Batman and the Return of Bruce Wayne and then Batman and Robin vol. 3 is where he comes back to Gotham and has his final confrontation with Hurt (although you should also read Batman and Robin volumes 1 and 2 because they are fantastic too)

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The two I witnesed were utter madness.

Langly on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    People will probably filet me for this but I thought Cap's return was handled better then Bruce's.

Maximum on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »

Surely DOOM would win

Because he is DOOM

loki won

Can we please have one of these within SE++? I wasn't actively around when the last one happened but from the sounds of it would be jazzed to participate in it.

My vote is for Sosuke Aizen.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

pretty much hoped it would be bane after heath ledger died,

FAQ on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MaximumJ wrote: »
    People will probably filet me for this but I thought Cap's return was handled better then Bruce's.

I'm a litte unfamiliar on how Steve got our of his re-occurring WW2 nightmare of an existence.

I will assume it was another time bullet.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

I was actually hoping for a Poison Ivy and either Mad Hatter or Black Mask

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

I'm a litte unfamiliar on how Steve got our of his re-occurring WW2 nightmare of an existence.

I will assume it was another time bullet.

Yep, Time bullet. It's the new deus ex machina of comics. Out of ideas...time bullet did it.

Maximum on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I want to see Clayface, but that's probably too Sci-Fi for the Nolanverse.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    how is "crazed devil worshipping ancestor of Bruce Wayne from hundreds of years ago who just happens to have the same name as Bruce's dad and who got turned immortal by Darkseid and actually was temporarily adopted by Bruce's parents as "Thomas Wayne Jr." and then sent away to a mental hospital for 30 years" any better.

because it's not ruining the legacy of Bruce's father and making him the actual Devil is just unimaginative

still not sure how an immortal devil-worshipper who tries to ruin the lives of his descendants is a stupid idea

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Surely DOOM would win

Because he is DOOM

loki won

Hmmm

And while I love Taskmaster (and I do) he really is a villain for guys like Cap and Wolverine, he's not a Doom or a Loki or a Magneto, those guys are the real heavyweight villains.

True

Solar on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

oh jesus, I mean I know shit all about black mask, but bane is the only one who can raise the threat over the previous movie. But poison ivy or mad hatter, did you watch the other movies?

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I want to see Clayface, but that's probably too Sci-Fi for the Nolanverse.

Clayface is literally the glass ceiling for impossible villains to pull off. In fact he might be making the glass ceiling know his ways...

I guess you could maybe pull it off if you restrained his abilities to merely shape-shifting as a human & kept the whole pseudo-drug addict angle that the cartoon portrayed, but that sort of goes against the conception of Clayface being a huge, clay monster.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Surely DOOM would win

Because he is DOOM

loki won

Hmmm

He did, and it was cool. However, I think that he is still at somewhat of a disadvantage compared to his fellows.

Well, there's a problem with him on the villain competition.

He's
    kind of sort of a hero. Who thinks he's a villain. Being directed by a secret organization that provides services to every major criminal group. Only it's secretly a SHIELD operation. That went rogue. And was always just his wife. Who he doesn't remember.

Basically, Taskmaster: Unthinkable was great, and everyone should read it.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    well not in this series, they could do him in the future

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

I need to get around to reading that actually

I got the first two Death of Captain America trades and they were good but I haven't read further than that yet

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

oh jesus, I mean I know shit all about black mask, but bane is the only one who can raise the threat over the previous movie. But poison ivy or mad hatter, did you watch the other movies?

poison ivy: eco-terrorist

mad hatter: insane sicko obsessed with the writings of lewis carol

no reason to bring in plant manipulation/mind controlling hats to the nolanverse

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Surely DOOM would win

Because he is DOOM

loki won

Hmmm

He did, and it was cool. However, I think that he is still at somewhat of a disadvantage compared to his fellows.

He's
    kind of sort of a hero. Who thinks he's a villain. Being directed by a secret organization that provides services to every major criminal group. Only it's secretly a SHIELD operation. That went rogue. And was always just his wife. Who he doesn't remember.

No it wasn't

Solar on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    eco-terrorist is boring and you take away mind control what is mad hatter going to do to anyone?

Basically you've to tone down those villians so much that you're removing any reason why'd you want them in the movie

FAQ on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm batman.

Melding on
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm spartacus

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    eco-terrorist is boring and you take away mind control what is mad hatter going to do to anyone?

Basically you've to tone down those villians so much that you're removing any reason why'd you want them in the movie

wow

do you remember the old BTAS episode where the hatter first appeared

no mind control there

creepy as all fucking fuck

he basically trapped a poor office worker in a nightmarish Wonderland maze he constructed and forced her to run his trippy little gauntlet

all because her name was Alice

dude can be fucking scary, comics just prefer to use him as a funny little man with mind controlling hats

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I'll be honest I'm not seeing a sequel to the dark knight here

FAQ on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I say use the old mad hatter who wanted to steal batman's cowl for his hat collection.

Melding on
  • Options
    Bizzaro StormyBizzaro Stormy I am Bizzaro Stormy. I am Bizzaro Stormy.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am Bizzaro Stormy.

Bizzaro Stormy on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

wow

no mind control there

he basically trapped a poor office worker in a nightmarish Wonderland maze he constructed and forced her to run his trippy little gauntlet

dude can be fucking scary, comics just prefer to use him as a funny little man with mind controlling hats

Umm... The first Batman:TAS with the mad hatter had him explicitly using mind control, that was after all his research. Also he wasn't just in love with the girl, his secretary, because her name was Alice but because she actually treated him with respect (something typically not provided towards him). The playing cards he puts in people's hair/hats? Mind control.

But there is a higher reason why he wouldn't be used in a film and that is because he is a border-line pedophile and American audience can tolerate a lot but I don't think they want a Batman film mixed with Law & Order: SVU.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    uh yeah IHNIWTR, I think you need to watch those BTAS Mad Hatter episodes again.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2011

wow

no mind control there

Umm... The first Batman:TAS with the mad hatter had him explicitly using mind control, that was after all his research. Also he wasn't just in love with the girl, his secretary, because her name was Alice but because she actually treated him with respect (something typically not provided towards him). The playing cards he puts in people's hair/hats? Mind control.

But there is a higher reason why he wouldn't be used in a film and that is because he is a border-line pedophile and American audience can tolerate a lot but I don't think they want a Batman film mixed with Law & Order: SVU.

guess I'm misremembering that episode

and the last two Batman films had two types of villains: the Major (threat to the city) and the Minor (threat to an individual, or a select group of individual). In Dark Knight Rises, we get Catwoman who I guess will be a minor ("just" a thief, emphasis on her relationship with Batman) and Bane should be the major, but I don't see the character fit for that role. He's after Batman, but he doesn't give a crap about Gotham. And if Nolan will try and make him some sort of criminal boss, well, that's just a radical alteration of the character and, I think, not a wise one.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Haven't we been told that Bane will be connected with the League of Shadows though? Because if so Talia (or Ra's) can still be the major threat will having Bane be their 'dragon,' with Catwoman being an anti-hero throughout the narrative.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    they can just adapt knightfall for all i care

bane comes to gotham, bane engineers prison escape, thirty minutes of naked catwoman, bane breaks batman, credits roll

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Surely DOOM would win

Because he is DOOM

loki won

Hmmm

He's

No it wasn't

It totally was.
    MILF, Redshirt the ultimate henchman, the Trenchcoat Mafia, the Don of the Dead, the alien bike gang, the town full of Hitlers...

I mean, that's the obvious stuff.

But it tells a good story that fits with and deepens the background of the Marvel Universe, it juggles comedy and emotional resonance remarkably well, it nicely deals with how inconsistently written our pal Tasky gets (which has been a problem), and it's a genuinely clever concept.

And Bane is a fine primary villain. Evil luchadore Batman is close enough to be pushed over to realistic (Well, Nolan level realistic) without losing everything resembling a hook, and tough enough enemy that he could reasonably threaten Wayne.

And, well, he's willing to do anything to break Batman. That? Kind of large scale threat if he gets going.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

bane comes to gotham, bane engineers prison escape, thirty minutes of naked catwoman, bane breaks batman, credits roll

You know what? Forget Bane altogether!

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    even if all bane is interested in is killing batman, you get his attention by blowing shit up. But yeah I'm pretty sure there's going to be a
    league of shadows plot, and bane fits in there nicely

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yeah but it also doesn't fit for Taskmaster.

Look it was a decent story, and decently told, but it wasn't Taskmaster's story. Fred Van Lente is a good writer and all, but just because he Taskmaster to have that origin doesn't mean he can just put it in there.

Taskmaster is cool because he is a blue collar villain, he's not a psycho or a murderer, he's a professional who thinks long term, doesn't take unnecessary risks, takes pride in his work but not pleasure in the violence, and is satisfied if at the end of the day he can drive a nice new car down to the steak house with some girls. He's in it for the money, he's out for himself but only messes with others for business.

Make him a SHIELD agent and you change all that, because it means that Taskmaster wasn't a tough working class kid who became a respected superhuman operator on both sides of the law with both skill and experience, but someone who signed up to protect the world and so on, and that isn't Taskmaster. I really liked the character in the Initiative series, but that guy and the guy in Van Lente's mini weren't the same.

Solar on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

You know what? Forget Bane altogether!

two hours of anne hathaway stealing precious jewels, while naked.

Clint Eastwood on
This discussion has been closed.