As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40k] Wargames should be fun and played in a place that is awesome with good people

1565758596062»

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Man, I have re-read the rules and done some more test but I will be such a newb tomorrow it won't be funny. Well it might be. I have a very orky plan in my head though.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The ether will burn.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    God. I spent the day Judging the Team Tournament at Wargames Con. Uggh.

Though, tomorrow is going to be absolutely brutal. So many good players in town.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Are there stories to tell from the experience, or was it just a long day?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Long day. So many peopled didn't know the rules, and not just some obscure shit:

Some guy landed his storm raven on the top level of a building then got out. Only he got out on the bottom floor. I had to explain that that was actually 6 inches to the floor, and he had two inches from the base to exit. To get out there he had to use the Skies of Blood rule, and could only get out there via deepstrike over part of the building the gunship had flown over. He argued that because it was a straight drop they could just hop down. I was like bitch, where do you play that there is a free hop down move?

Or the one guy who moved his emperor's champion 10 inches in the assault phase because the rulebook says he HAS to get into base to base with an HQ...

Some other rules disputes were just particular teams who called a judge over for everything.

The worst was when I ruled correctly on a searchlight/smoke launcher issue for chaos (they can't do both, because for chaos and some other older dexes search lights count as shooting because of the way it is written: "use night fighting to find a target... and having fired at that target...") and the guy was enraged, so the head judge came over and said yup that's the way it's written. Then the TO came and (usually John Wolf knows his shit so it's not like he makes mistakes often), just said no, chaos search lights work like imperial vehicles. Sort of undermining my ruling, so that later in the game, when the same dude lashed one unit, then tried to argue that he could assault a different unit, it took the same three judges to explain that lash counts as firing a weapon in the shooting phase, therefore the sorcerer and the the attached squad must fire on the same unit and assault that unit if they choose to make an assault.

Now take those examples and apply it to maybe 60 tables, with 4 players per. BRUTAL.

So glad I'm playing today.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    2868 wrote: »
    I was like bitch, where do you play that there is a free hop down move?

Home? People houserule this shit all the time. My friend and I used to houserule forests so in normal games they worked like Codex Catachan forests. We did this because it worked for us, and made the game more interesting. My brother and his friend houserule the cover system in 5th edition so cover saves aren't as easy to get.

The problem is when people bring these house rules to tournaments. It's not really their fault, if they've been playing hundreds of games with house rules, they're going to forget some that aren't actual rules.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    Random wishful thinking: Finecast re-release of BFG.

Echo on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    At least the metal ships anyway. Slightly less prone to snapping the stands that way, one would hope.
    On the topic of fantasy finecast league, what about Warmaster? Some of those models were already awesome in lead and it would be utterly amazing if you could sell 8mm scale figs with recognisable faces.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    Random wishful thinking: Finecast re-release of BFG.

Oh God Yes! Then we might actually see the Voss pattern ships. More modular light cruisers, aside from the admech one.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Didn't they break the moulds for the Voss Pattern LCs? I remember you could get the Endeavours very briefly through Fanatic, then they vanished. You occasionally see them go on Ebay for $100+

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, but they would have to remake the molds for finecast anyway.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Picked up a DE flying thingy today, which means I can field 850pts of sociopathic murder elves.

Do you think anyone will be particularly incensed if I use the Jetfighter as the Bomber? I haven't stuck any of the missiles on this thing (which the Bomber doesn't come with) and I assume the two should be fairly similar design wise?

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Got asked to join a 1850 40K tournament today, I couldn't help but laugh.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This is the awkward part of the forum when some one has to post a new thread.

Titles?

I'll throw "[WH40k] I got Mephiston your mom last night!" into the ring.

saluksic on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "OMNOMN! Oh, ouch, I broke a node"

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh oh oh, call it: [WH40K] In the Grim Darkness of the future there are only flashlights.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Warham 40K - Unclean in the eyes of god since M.31

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Warhams: ITT we argue about little plastic mans.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is getting three Land Speeders for a Space Wolves army worth it and is three Long Fang packs enough?

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    How about

[WH40k] What's so funny 'bout grim dark and purging xenos?
    elvis_costello_as_herman_munster.jpg

or

[WH40k] Katy Perry: Known Xenos sympathizer

saluksic on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    40k: wherin we debate Lady Gaga's chaos affiliation.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Picked up a DE flying thingy today, which means I can field 850pts of sociopathic murder elves.

Do you think anyone will be particularly incensed if I use the Jetfighter as the Bomber? I haven't stuck any of the missiles on this thing (which the Bomber doesn't come with) and I assume the two should be fairly similar design wise?

Nah, I think a lot of people will be doing that until the bomber gets an official miniature.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Makes me wish the Voidraven and Razorwing used the same base body, like the two 'Engines.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well, the description for the VR makes it sound like it'll have like a second gunner suspended underneath the craft, or something. It's a pain now when we have to wait but it'll be nice to have 2 (hopefully) distinct flier hulls.
    altmann wrote: »

Clearly Nurgle

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dayspring wrote: »
    altmann wrote: »

Clearly Slaanesh

Fixed.

Androgynous gendered person wearing crazy clothing and horribly hypnotizing high energy music?

I wouldn't be surprised if she had demonette backup dancers.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I dunno, she's constantly changing her image... that's tzeentchy...

She wore a dress made from flesh, that's pretty khorn-y as well...

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Or the one guy who moved his emperor's champion 10 inches in the assault phase because the rulebook says he HAS to get into base to base with an HQ...

I understand your pain, I judged a GT a few weeks ago, but this is actually how that special rule works. Motherfucker will mario hop across a whole table to ruin some IC's day :P

SJ on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    How about [WH40k] Sisters receive WD codex as an apology from the Grey Knights. Should have sent flowers instead.

Detharin on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    [WH40K] Roses are red, violets are blue, I worship chaos, and so should you!

Solar on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    [WH40K] Roses are red, violets are blue, I worship chaos, and BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

see317 on
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Long day. So many peopled didn't know the rules, and not just some obscure shit:

Some guy landed his storm raven on the top level of a building then got out. Only he got out on the bottom floor. I had to explain that that was actually 6 inches to the floor, and he had two inches from the base to exit. To get out there he had to use the Skies of Blood rule, and could only get out there via deepstrike over part of the building the gunship had flown over. He argued that because it was a straight drop they could just hop down. I was like bitch, where do you play that there is a free hop down move?

Some other rules disputes were just particular teams who called a judge over for everything.

The worst was when I ruled correctly on a searchlight/smoke launcher issue for chaos (they can't do both, because for chaos and some other older dexes search lights count as shooting because of the way it is written: "use night fighting to find a target... and having fired at that target...") and the guy was enraged, so the head judge came over and said yup that's the way it's written. Then the TO came and (usually John Wolf knows his shit so it's not like he makes mistakes often), just said no, chaos search lights work like imperial vehicles. Sort of undermining my ruling, so that later in the game, when the same dude lashed one unit, then tried to argue that he could assault a different unit, it took the same three judges to explain that lash counts as firing a weapon in the shooting phase, therefore the sorcerer and the the attached squad must fire on the same unit and assault that unit if they choose to make an assault.

Now take those examples and apply it to maybe 60 tables, with 4 players per. BRUTAL.

So glad I'm playing today.

It does seem a bit wierd, I know, but the Black Templar thing with the Emperor's Champion is correct. If he's in combat, he has to be moved in base with an IC if there's one in the enemy unit, you even have to move models out of the way to get him there. It's a good and bad thing at the same time, since the EC will usually get creamed by CC IC's (Wolf Lords and such), but he can be pretty good at killing support IC's (Runepriests, etc).

I mean, it's a possibility they could've FAQ'd it (I haven't played my BT in months so I haven't checked if they done any more FAQ work on it since the 3++ SS thing), so I could be wrong.

*edit: SJ done beat me to the punch*

Zomro on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    [WH40k]Emperor's Champion: Breaking the rules and IC's necks all day erreday FOR THE EMPRAH!

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    [WH40k] I take a what test now? What's a wound test?

Spherick on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    WH40k: Where there are winners, losers and spawns.

Yeah, I can really come up with anything at the moment.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    [WH40k] Where we spend the last two pages of every thread trying to name the next one.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    see317 wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    [WH40K] Roses are red, violets are blue, I worship chaos, and BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

I think this is teh winnar!

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    WH40k: We survived to the 41st millennium and all we got was this lousy grim darkness

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
This discussion has been closed.