As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War

• NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Bursar wrote:
    And if one of those enemy aces is Heartbreak 1, well then... I'm going to be very happy.

Not much chance of that. You play as some guy named cypher in the galm squadron. The person who shot down heartbreak one was in ofnir or grabacr. Replay the last level of AC5 again and someone will mention how they were the one to shoot down bartlett.

NickTheNewbie on
  • MegoDrDoomMegoDrDoom Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    A tid bit off topic, Im in the market for a flight stick. Is there only one (the bundle one) or is there another compatible stick?

I played today and realized what it could be.

The 25th is my B-DAY!! sweetness.

MegoDrDoom on
    XBL and PSN - MegoDrDoom
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I CANT GET HIM OFF ME, HE CANT BE HUMAN.. AAGHHH*boom**static*

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited April 2006
    MegoDrDoom wrote:

The 25th is my B-DAY!!

A victory sure would be nice...

:D

NickTheNewbie on
    edited April 2006
    MegoDrDoom wrote:

The 25th is my B-DAY!!

A victory sure would be nice...

:D

wow, I totally forgot all about that LOL!

some of the greatest lines in gaming!

MegoDrDoom on
    XBL and PSN - MegoDrDoom
  • The_RatThe_Rat Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    The story in 4 was very understated, and that's what made it so personal and dramatic. 5 was over the top and while it wasn't bad per-se, it didn't strike the same unique chord that 4 did.

Damn this game coming out now, though. Snuck up on me. I just bought Tetris DS, Stand Alone Complex, Subsistence, an online adapter, Devil May Cry 3, and Ace5 (I rented it to beat it first).

The_Rat on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2006
    I've never played an Ace Combat game. Maybe I should check one out. Are the stories in any particular order, or can I play them however I want?

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • The_RatThe_Rat Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    They do take place in an order on a timeline, and some historical events are linked, but they are more or less stand-alone. Playing one won't spoil the others.

The_Rat on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I am going to hump this game so much it will make me question my manhood.

projectmayhem on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    All this talk about 4 being better than 5 and more dramatic and personal makes me want to get it right now. In fact, I think I'll do that tomorrow.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2006
    Does the game come with a dick or something?

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited April 2006
    I just wanted to say that I'm as excited about this game as the rest of you are. The first ace combat i played was 4, and I've been hooked ever since.

I've really wanted to get into 3 more, since my roommate has the japanese (read: good) version, but I can hardly understand any of it.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited April 2006
    Dashui wrote:
    All this talk about 4 being better than 5 and more dramatic and personal makes me want to get it right now. In fact, I think I'll do that tomorrow.

It's like 8 dollars used, and about 10 hours to beat. What do you have to lose?

NickTheNewbie on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Does the game come with a dick or something?
    It better

projectmayhem on
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    IMO, AC4 is one of the best game on PS2.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
    edited April 2006
    anyone have any ideas on a joystick?

MegoDrDoom on
    XBL and PSN - MegoDrDoom
    edited April 2006
    MegoDrDoom wrote:

I think the joystrick from 5 will work with Zero. At least, that's the assumption, although I haven't heard anything concrete yet.

Dashui on
    edited April 2006
    MegoDrDoom wrote:

Only thing i could find was this:
    http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/HP2-88.html

It's sold out, but it might give you a good starting point to look. Makes me glad i got mine bundled with AC5 8)

NickTheNewbie on
    edited April 2006
    Dashui wrote:
    MegoDrDoom wrote:

I think the joystrick from 5 will work with Zero. At least, that's the assumption, although I haven't heard anything concrete yet.

I think its safe to say that it'll be BC. My predicament is that I dont have a Flightstick. Ive been winging it on the dualshock.

$100+ for the AC5 stick on ebay. I was wondering if anyone had any luck with alternative flight sticks.

edit: should have bought the bundle last year.. woe is me : (

MegoDrDoom on
    XBL and PSN - MegoDrDoom
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    MegoDrDoom wrote:
    Dashui wrote:
    MegoDrDoom wrote:

I think its safe to say that it'll be BC. My predicament is that I dont have a Flightstick. Ive been winging it on the dualshock.

$100+ for the AC5 stick on ebay. I was wondering if anyone had any luck with alternative flight sticks.

edit: should have bought the bundle last year.. woe is me : (

Check your local game stores. I got mine at an EB right after Christmas, used for $80 (boxed with game and patch). They had 2, on the top shelf behind the counter, covered in dust. I wouldn't be surprised if that other one is still there. It's a great stick (rebranded Hori). There's even drivers to use it with Windows. My only complaint about it is the rubber cups on the bottoms. You have to have a perfectly smooth surface for them to stay attached or else air will seep into them. I had to put packing tape down on my desk, but after applying them to it you can't pull them off.

Sir Carcass on
  • Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Does Zero have any bonus pre-order stuff like AC5 did with the DVD and tin with flight suit patches? :?

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
    edited April 2006
    Pajama_Man wrote:
    Does Zero have any bonus pre-order stuff like AC5 did with the DVD and tin with flight suit patches? :?

I didn't see anything about any special pre-order stuff, and Gamestop.com doesn't have anything listed about that, unfortunately. But on another topic, I can't believe AC4 is only ten USD. I'm pickin' that shit up tomorrow right away.

Dashui on
    edited April 2006
    Dashui wrote:
    Pajama_Man wrote:

I didn't see anything about any special pre-order stuff, and Gamestop.com doesn't have anything listed about that, unfortunately. But on another topic, I can't believe AC4 is only ten USD. I'm pickin' that shit up tomorrow right away.

Yeah i've been checking stores every week, with no luck. It's a shame i won't have any goods to join up with my wardog, OAF, and YAF patches.

NickTheNewbie on
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I've never played an Ace Combat game. Maybe I should check one out. Are the stories in any particular order, or can I play them however I want?
    4, 5, and Zero take place in the same few countries, but you don't necessarily have to play them in order. However, you would probably enjoy this one a bit more if you played 4 and 5 first. AC4 is also extremely cheap now, so picking it up first would make sense.

I just noticed that two of my favorite series have the same acronym (this and Armored Core).

Kaputa on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I hope they turned down the anime by a LOT. Ace Combat 5's story was awesome, then they threw in all that Razgriz sillyness.

Who am I kidding? The rival aces fly around like motorcycle gangs in the air. Not gonna happen. The game should still rock though.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    looks like i need to continue playing ace combat 5.

i stopped playing at the mission where you have to rescue these prisoners from a cold snowy mountain camp.

and whats with the razgriz? i think it's cool that the enemies call you the "demons of razgriz" because you come down like demons from the sky :)

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Klyka wrote:
    and whats with the razgriz? i think it's cool that the enemies call you the "demons of razgriz" because you come down like demons from the sky :)

It's the fact that everyone thinks you're some ancient demons reborn and come to exact vengeance or some shit. I doubt an ancient demon would be flying an F-16.

Sir Carcass on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Klyka wrote:

It's the fact that everyone thinks you're some ancient demons reborn and come to exact vengeance or some shit. I doubt an ancient demon would be flying an F-16.

sadly i couldn't find the picture,maybe someone can help me:

TYRANNOSAURUS IN F 14s!!!!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • EpiphyteEpiphyte Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    ch950101.jpg

Epiphyte on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Drool...
    I'm buying AC4 to celebrate.
    Now all we need is more Wing Commander games for the pc.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    The fairytale didn't bother me so much as the bad animation and character drawings during the cutscenes. I found the stills in AC4 to be much more interesting.

Playing AC5 in japanese also smooths it over.

RoyceSraphim on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I liked 5 better.. I think I'm the only one on the board.

I'm pretty sure Zero was confirmed to have flightstick support last year. At the least, the reps mentioned it at our conference. 4 supports it too, FYI..

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I still say they should make an AC like Strike Commander meets Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. Have you be in charge of a mercenary pilot group taking missions, buying equipment, and hiring pilots, with some sort of over arching storyline to follow as you want depending on certain missions. Man, that'd be awesome.
    Goddamn, I love these kind of games, I can still remember every mission I did in Strike Commander. Origin, I miss you :(

Silpheed on
  • ak74uak74u Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Chart wrote:
    ACH! Mein gott ein Engländer wallet! Hans

fixed for crazy reference to Battle Action Weekly

I havent played an Ace Combat game since the first on one PSX. I am so hyped for this game :oops:

ak74u on
    thetrenches14qk.png
    edited April 2006
    So, I picked up Ace Combat 4 today. Damn good game, of course, but I disagree with people saying 4 was more personal and dramatic. I think 5 was more personal, and had a better story. I knew why we were fighting, and I had wingmen with names and character, and who talked their own special way. I liked that. I feel kind of lonely in 4, actually. I know it's a single-player game, but I think you know what I mean. I'll find out how Zero fairs tomorrow when it comes in the mail (import; has the English dub and text). I think I'll skip my morning classes to play it.

Dashui on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    All my dicks are cuming. At mach 5. In the danger zone.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2006
    Dashui wrote:
    So, I picked up Ace Combat 4 today. Damn good game, of course, but I disagree with people saying 4 was more personal and dramatic. I think 5 was more personal, and had a better story. I knew why we were fighting, and I had wingmen with names and character, and who talked their own special way. I liked that. I feel kind of lonely in 4, actually. I know it's a single-player game, but I think you know what I mean. I'll find out how Zero fairs tomorrow when it comes in the mail (import; has the English dub and text). I think I'll skip my morning classes to play it.

The only thing 5 had over 4 was the wingmen personalities. The story itself felt way more important in 4. If you can play the mission where you retake the city and hear someone singing the (their) national anthem over the newly reacquired airwaves and not feel like you've made a difference, you have no soul.

Sir Carcass on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2006
    Dashui wrote:

The only thing 5 had over 4 was the wingmen personalities. The story itself felt way more important in 4. If you can play the mission where you retake the city and hear someone singing the (their) national anthem over the newly reacquired airwaves and not feel like you've made a difference, you have no soul.

And like some other people said, when you get to the later missions (especially the last) and the enemies start expressing fear, the game gets really involving.

A duck! on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    "Oh shit, they've got ribbon insignias! It's Mobius One!!!!"

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    "Oh shit, they've got ribbon insignias! It's Mobius One!!!!"

"What the Hell!? They all have blue ribbons!"

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.