As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Terraria! Soon with: Criticals! Inventory Management! FAQ: Its a DEMON ALTAR dammit!

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    bone dragons and fire imps whose spells gave hearts were way easier to deal with than the combination of hell slimes, hellbats, bone serpents, and fire imps

demons aren't all that bad

although, I think the main thing that has made hell harder is the change to way ash works

Spells gave hearts, what?

Ash is irritating now, but I usually just dig to a depth at which enemies no longer surround me. At that point it's not much additional effort to throw some dirt up when digging out ash. If you do it right, nothing can spawn in your tunnels, so all you have to watch for are the bone dragons.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    when did they change the cooldown on potions

you could try using more health rings

The next patch will introduce a cooldown on health potions, looks like a minute. Health rings don't do much during a fight. They're great between fights, but when you're being divebombed by bats while trying to dodge a bone wyrm and timing weapon swings to destroy fireballs they aren't worth much.

Sigh. I feel this change is a bit extreme. I can see why there needs to be a cooldown, but 60 seconds sounds kinda rough.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    before the patch, fire imp bolts would occasionally give you health when destroyed

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    before the patch, fire imp bolts would occasionally give you health when destroyed

Huh...I never noticed that. Probably because they hit more often than missing.

templewulf on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    templewulf wrote: »

Huh...I never noticed that. Probably because they hit more often than missing.

it was easiest with the nightmare pick

I noticed that it seems to have just the right speed to always destroy oncoming fire orbs when the imps are at the right angle

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Whelp - I just got myself into some trouble, I suspect, hearing your guys statements on the jungle. I've got myself an iron outfit and silver sword/pick, and just picked up my quiet little tower and dropped it down onto the edge of the jungle. Skybridged acrost a whole flipping large-world desert to do so.

THis should be... Interesting.

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My new goal is to dig a tunnel under all the corrupted areas in my world so I don't have to deal with them when I want to reach the dungeon.

Also that way I can dig up to the Shadow Orbs.

Loathing on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    you could just purify the one in the direction of the jungle

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I really like the sound of the changes, health potion chugging was pretty stupid. I was just never ever afraid to die once I got a stock of full potions. This way if necessary they can balance the difficulty without having to flood the screen with enemies or having them do massive amounts of damage. Boss fights will probably need tuning though, it's very difficult to avoid getting hit.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    hell might need reworking too

even with molten armor, a cobalt shield, and two health regen rings I still regularly get into spots that require using multiple potions in one minute

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So the dev blog on patch 6 (part 2) is up and has tons of updates, wow. And to think this is still only bits and pieces of the patch itself.

Henroid on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I like the variable damage and critical hit additions. The potion change will definitely make things more challenging, but I think Blue also mentioned they're increasing health regen to make up for it. And at least it makes high-end potions more useful.

Cantide on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I didn't understand the potion change actually, can you run it by me again?

And the health regen I LOVE.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ammo slots and trash can will extend my ore-gathering expeditions quite nicely. :^:

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ammo slots and trash can will extend my ore-gathering expeditions quite nicely. :^:

there really needs to just be a backpack that you can make. or find in an ultra-rare drop.

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This fucking game. I just spent about an hour and a half digging a tunnel straight down from my house a ways, and then going allllll the way to the jungle underground. Stupidly enough, I'm probably going to do the same thing for the dungeon after I sleep.

Game is worse than crack.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Mighty wrote: »

there really needs to just be a backpack that you can make. or find in an ultra-rare drop.

If this ever happens, I fully expect it to take up your armor slot or a slot on your hotbar.

Edit: And it would still be worth it.

templewulf on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Game is 75% off on steam for those of you who dont check that thread and are on the fence. GO BUY NOW!

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm going to buy a mic, then I'm going to find someone to dedicate the entire life cycle of a world and character to a co-op experience. Anyone interested?

Hoz on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    hell might need reworking too

even with molten armor, a cobalt shield, and two health regen rings I still regularly get into spots that require using multiple potions in one minute

Hell is stupid easy now. Used to be a lot worse with all the imps. Now thats theres lava slimes and hellbats and demons it's really easy to survive. I get about 250 - 500 hellstone ore and use maybe 3 healing pots.

I use Feral Claws, Rocket Boots, Cloud in a Bottle, Hermes Boots and a Red Balloon. Molten Armor for the legs and body, the helmet on vanity so I get the light up effect and a diving helmet for glowstick and shark hunting. Haven't had a single problem down there.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    no way, hellbats and slimes were way worse than the demons ever were

with a nightmare pick, imps were completely ignorable when they were on their own

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    If you just dig into one of the hills and close yourself off you're pretty safe. The only thing thats really going to get you are imp fireballs and the occasional bone serpent.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    and the falling ash and lava pools

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Go straight down in and use the range on your pick to keep yourself a safe distance from falling ash then block off the tops with stone. It's also smart to have a room with a bed at the top of your hellevator. Get your Nurse in there and its 2 silver to get healed up and drop back into it. The more enemies you can spawn and keep outside of your boundaries, the less enemies there will be coming to get you on the inside. You shouldn't even leave any areas open for baddies to drop in on you. Close everything off and its nothing.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wow at 75% off I'm tempted to just buy another 4 pack just for the hell of it. Everyone needs to play this game.

exmello on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    This is my basic hell strategy. I've been afk in this nook after taking the screenshot for a good 5 minutes and haven't taken a lick of damage. All the bats in there are preventing other baddies from spawning keeping me super safe. I could probably sit there all night.

1920x1200 warning
    ff9c2850.png

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Finally finished my hellavator and....get chased off by a Bone Serpent.

Loathing on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    that damn guide won't leave my house!

There are several other nice places to live you bastard. Leave my 2 story + basement with secret passage getaway along. He stayed in his house... until I turned it into an addition to my first floor. Why won't he leave?!

Also I'm sort of lost in general. By day I've been exploring east and west and by night i've been digging. haven't found much yet though so it's hard to get the other NPCs to show up

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

There are several other nice places to live you bastard. Leave my 2 story + basement with secret passage getaway along. He stayed in his house... until I turned it into an addition to my first floor. Why won't he leave?!

Also I'm sort of lost in general. By day I've been exploring east and west and by night i've been digging. haven't found much yet though so it's hard to get the other NPCs to show up

Just remove something from the room so it's no longer valid and he'll move to one that is.

Zek on
  • Options
    chesspiecefacechesspieceface Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hrmm.

I've been playing this game for the last week or so by myself and having a blast.

My friend picked it up today and we've been playing on a server he is running, but every time we start a world after a short while stuff stops spawning. No NPCs will come even when the requirements are met, fauna stops generating like grass and mushrooms, and planted trees etc. don't grow. The only thing that does progress is the time of day rotation.

Anyone else have this issue and know a fix? This is really annoying.

chesspieceface on
    WillieTannerBuilds - Youtube (Let's Play series including Minecraft, Terraria, Age of Empires and more.)
    Willie Tanner Livestream
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This game. Is. Unreal.

I love it. Got my roommate into my game and he dug too greedily, too deeply! I had to kill a sandworm that was chasing us all the way up my tunnel.

The height of my technology is a copper chandelier so I have a ways to go I imagine........

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I bought the game yesterday and I'm still learning how to do stuff. I already built a primitive house and I'm gonna look for copper to upgrade my stuff. Is there any way to get a bigger sword hit-range? The little forward stab is disadvantegous in many situations.

Also, how do servers work? I haven't played multiplayer yet and I wonder. Is it one server with 4 players max, or big servers with higher limits? Wouldn't it be unfair to start in an area that has already been mined dry from ore?

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Make a wood sword for one that swings overhead. Or if you have the metal, make a broadsword. Broadswords always swing overhead, shortswords always stab forward, making them pretty useless. Later on you'll find swords with greater speed and/or range, and other exotic weapons that aren't swords.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Finished my dungeon path from my main shaft under my house to the dungeon. It is a solid 3 minutes of running with hermes boots in a straight line. Which is funny since it took the better part of 4 hours to dig out. And by funny I mean :(

My earlier jungle path takes 2 minutes to run, so I could, for whatever dumb reason, run all the way from the jungle to the dungeon in a straight line now in about 5 and a half minutes. At least now though I don't have to deal with corruption or jumping or eyeballs or zombies or whateverthefuck any more if I need to get to one of the zones (for lack of a better term).

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I was digging to the left one night as I realized that digging down with zombies around meant tons of zombies just falling on my head and my tunnel broke through into a cave. I found so many items and my first heart so I got my merchant and nurse to show up.
    Not really sure what to focus on next. I guess I can go back to that cave and see what else is down there

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So after some (far too complicated) tinkering I got a multiplayer game running and me and the friend who gifted me the game had a fucking blast last night.

When I was a kid and bought a game, I would wake up early the next few days to play it before school started. I haven't done this in a long time. I am doing it now

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Arkady wrote: »
    Finished my dungeon path from my main shaft under my house to the dungeon. It is a solid 3 minutes of running with hermes boots in a straight line. Which is funny since it took the better part of 4 hours to dig out. And by funny I mean :(

My earlier jungle path takes 2 minutes to run, so I could, for whatever dumb reason, run all the way from the jungle to the dungeon in a straight line now in about 5 and a half minutes. At least now though I don't have to deal with corruption or jumping or eyeballs or zombies or whateverthefuck any more if I need to get to one of the zones (for lack of a better term).

This is pretty much the identical thing I did, minus I haven't made the tunnel to my dungeon yet. Thankfully I found the Lucky Horseshoe early on, so getting to Hell is a nice quick fall away.

Now if only I could get some shadowscales to be able to go and mine the ore down in hell, that's another job on its own.

Loathing on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Arkady wrote: »

Sky bridge with wooden planks is quicker and easier to build.

Hoz on
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Are you just digging, or are you starting from a generated hole? I find when I start from solid dirt, I don't get anywhere for a while, but the game generates so many caves and paths down that you can usually do yourself a favor by finding a path underground already started by the game, and building from there.

ResIpsaLoquitur on
    League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    kleinfehnkleinfehn Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Anyone have any extra copies of this game they are selling? I will paypal you my part of a 4 pack if so. Thanks!

kleinfehn on