As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Terraria! Soon with: Criticals! Inventory Management! FAQ: Its a DEMON ALTAR dammit!

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have the same problem with this I have with minecraft, I can't find any good ores. Been digging for 30 minutes and I've only come up with dirt and stone. Not even more copper.

captaink on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I bought this last night and I have to say I love it.

Even if my experience so far has been to kill a few slime things and get some dirt which was quickly made into a box around my guy as I waited out the night.

Awesome.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    captaink wrote: »
    I have the same problem with this I have with minecraft, I can't find any good ores. Been digging for 30 minutes and I've only come up with dirt and stone. Not even more copper.

Look for natural cave systems. Digging anywhere else is fairly pointless. You shouldn't have to explore far to find one. Often you can also find copper/iron on the surface, but not in large quantities.

Tomanta on
  • LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Just got had my first goblin army event - I sorta wish there was a Goblin General to fight at the end, because otherwise it's just ten minutes of clicking as stuff slowly runs towards you.

Loathing on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    that damn guide won't leave my house!

There are several other nice places to live you bastard. Leave my 2 story + basement with secret passage getaway along. He stayed in his house... until I turned it into an addition to my first floor. Why won't he leave?!

Also I'm sort of lost in general. By day I've been exploring east and west and by night i've been digging. haven't found much yet though so it's hard to get the other NPCs to show up

Are you just digging, or are you starting from a generated hole? I find when I start from solid dirt, I don't get anywhere for a while, but the game generates so many caves and paths down that you can usually do yourself a favor by finding a path underground already started by the game, and building from there.

I was just digging. I realized after I broke through into the cave that there was already an opening on the far side of the hill i had dug into

initiatefailure on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So what's the general consensus on night's edge? Is it worth sacrificing the muramasa?

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    no, not if you use the muramasa

it's really slow and chances are you will do more damage with a lot of other weapons

there's nothing stopping you from getting a second muramasa, though

Nerdgasmic on
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I started more worlds so I could gather more muramasa blades.

That way I will have the original and the new weapon when I get around to making one.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've been trying to get into this.

I don't think I can. :/

Something about the controls is utterly jarring and unintuitive to me. I just find the whole thing crazy hard to play.

Think I'll stick to Minecraft! :P

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have no idea how to play this.
    All I keep doing is throwing workbenches and every time I get near them to try and craft stuff, I scoop it back up.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
    edited July 2011
    are you trying to right click the bench

to craft stuff, you just need to go to your inventory while standing near a workbench

Nerdgasmic on
    edited July 2011
    Every time I get within three feet of the bench it automatically gets scooped back in to my inventory.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
    edited July 2011
    oh

you just dropped it on the ground

you want to put it in one of the first ten inventory slots and either click on that slot or hit the number key that matches it

once you've selected the bench, left click on the area you want it to go

Nerdgasmic on
    edited July 2011
    I may be too stupid to play this game for any significant period of time.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Shadow Orbs officially suck, third Ball O'Hurt in a row.

Loathing on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I found a sky island and got a smidgen of gold and silver. Enough for a silver shortsword but I'm not going back to that. I need a better pick so bad. Getting bored of dirt.

captaink on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Does anyone have a server running? I'd like to play with someone else, but none of the ones on the front page ever seem to be working.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I finally got my full copper armor set done today. Also a gold broadsword, a gold pick ax and an iron ax. Problem is the 2 big caves I have descended into are flooded at the bottom with no direct way of draining the water. So I am now searching for new caves. Found a huge area of corruption and hit rock I couldn't get through with my pick ax trying to go under it. The other side is a desert I think I am going to try and cross it.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • bsej87bsej87 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, is there a guide for setting up a server that doesn't have tons of people arguing over how easy and how horrible wrong it is at the same time? I bought my friend and I a copy to play together without realizing the blackhole of doom that trying to set up a Terraria server seems to be.

bsej87 on
    edited July 2011
    Wouldn't going to Multiplayer > Host & Play work? Might have to open the proper ports and all that but could just use that for you and your friend to play on. It's not permanent, but would save you the headache.

Loathing on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    Anyone want to host a game?

Sheep on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    So I've built an ore and have smelted all of my copper and iron that I've found. Can't build anything else interesting at the moment. I tried to find a sky island and built up but hit the ceiling so... I guess expand left and right?

Sheep on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Only build sky bridges with wooden planks.

If you build it with other material it will block meteors from hitting the ground which will deny you a whole resource.

And I'm only like 50% sure wooden planks don't block meteors.

Hoz on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've played this game for about an hour and I'm not sure what exactly I should do.
    I'm feeling very underwhelmed and I'm not sure where all the praise came from.

I managed to get a little house made and I mined some iron.

What makes this game fun?
    I am not asking sarcastically.

Endomatic on
    edited July 2011
    meteors don't drop until you smash a shadow orb

Nerdgasmic on
    edited July 2011
    I've had one drop before shadow orb. Besides which, sky bridges are very annoying to get rid of after you put them down.

Hoz on
    edited July 2011
    there's a bug where some shadow orbs are smashed when the world generates

Nerdgasmic on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Endomatic wrote: »
    I've played this game for about an hour and I'm not sure what exactly I should do.
    I'm feeling very underwhelmed and I'm not sure where all the praise came from.

I managed to get a little house made and I mined some iron.

What makes this game fun?
    I am not asking sarcastically.

There are basically two main things to do: Explore and Build. I tend to do more building than exploring, the latter feeding the former's need for resources.

There are specific goals, but really, they just provide you with the means for more exploring and/or building. That's really the game in a nutshell - if neither of those things is providing you with fun, this may not be the game for you.

However, if you like either of those and you're just not sure what to do, just talk to the guide a bunch, or set the goal of better equipment by finding silver/gold and making armor and weapons from it.

Nova_C on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    bsej87 wrote: »
    So, is there a guide for setting up a server that doesn't have tons of people arguing over how easy and how horrible wrong it is at the same time? I bought my friend and I a copy to play together without realizing the blackhole of doom that trying to set up a Terraria server seems to be.

You can host&play or you can run the server app in the Terraria folder. Either way it is very straightforward.

The hardest part is opening the port (default is 7777) on your router.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    edited July 2011
    So uh....went to fight the dungeon guardian. Got him down to about 500HP when he just vanished, and the battle music died off - no 'Boss defeated!' message or anything. Gave it a couple minutes...and one of his hands kinda plonked down beside me, dead.

Off I do inside the dungeon, and nothing attacks me. Go down a little further, and get instagibbed by the flying skull heads.

Ugh, yay glitching out.

Loathing on
  • bsej87bsej87 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thanks, Loathing and Enig! Everything I read referenced the Hamachi way for a permanent server I didn't need, but opening 7777 and doing Host and Play worked perfectly!

bsej87 on
    edited July 2011
    My pet project for this evening in a world me and my friends are fooling around in. This is where our jungle garden shall be.
    PetProject.png

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    edited July 2011
    The glass is a nice touch.

Hoz on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    How'd you get the water filled up on the left side?

Henroid on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Henroid wrote: »

I don't think you understand how fluids work.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited July 2011
    Rami wrote: »

I don't understand them either!

At the top corner there you can see the entry tunnel. I flooded the left side from up there. I just didn't have the glass there above the wooden platforms when I did it. I blocked the platforms with a couple solid rocks or whatever so that water wouldn't get in. When I flooded, it actually went a ways up the tunnel but putting a block in a space with water in it basically deletes the water if there's nowhere for the water to expand so I just placed blocks and mined them out until the tunnel was clear of water, after I partitioned off the flooded areas with glass.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Even if you constructed that thing in reality, water would not fill the entire J. There would be air trapped at the tip and, at a certain point, the compressed air would exert more pressure than the water, and you'd have an air pocket.

Garthor on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

I know enough that the water would stop flowing at the bottom and wouldn't rise up on the left side because that's how the game mechanics work; it's similar to building air pockets when exploring water.

Henroid on
    edited July 2011

I know enough that the water would stop flowing at the bottom and wouldn't rise up on the left side because that's how the game mechanics work; it's similar to building air pockets when exploring water.

It took multiple floods from various heights on both sides.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
  • MoblizMobliz Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Loathing wrote: »
    So uh....went to fight the dungeon guardian. Got him down to about 500HP when he just vanished, and the battle music died off - no 'Boss defeated!' message or anything. Gave it a couple minutes...and one of his hands kinda plonked down beside me, dead.

Off I do inside the dungeon, and nothing attacks me. Go down a little further, and get instagibbed by the flying skull heads.

Ugh, yay glitching out.

Did it roll over to daytime when it happened? He'll instakill you when the sun rises.

Mobliz on