As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hellgate: London] Hellgate Tokyo is a go 9/22

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, in my mind I'm thinking of things that are more required to play like the ticket thing and things related. I could easily see a point where there's just nothing to do unless you buy quests or something like that.

If it is just a matter of gear? Meh. Yeah, i'm with ya. Outside of PvP, no big deal. If its a matter of playable content and you can't access those things otherwise, then it starts to matter.

But yeah, again, we'll just have to see; probably pretty soon.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tickets cost $4.00
    Servers go up at 7:30PM Eastern
    That price is more than reasonable.
    http://hellgate.t3fun.com/News/Notice_View.aspx?post_key=17

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Huh?
    So it's no longer f2p?

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Since I've avoided most if not all F2P MMOs I have no idea how this "ticket" thing works.

Is it a one-time purchase that allows unlimited access to the now-gated content, or is it some weird pseudo-subscription thing where one ticket allows X amount of playtime of the now-gated content? Or something completely different?

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I goo would like to know how long the tickets last. At $4 there's no way that's a one time permanent fee.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My guess is that they were overwhelmed by the number of people wanting to try out the beta so they thought they might as well charge for it this time around, hoping that the number of open slots they have on the server would easily be filled up by paying players.

Lol.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's permanent, it's account wide. I'd imagine this is a feeler for when we eventually get Tokyo and further "expansions". Locking out Act 3-5 still makes me wonder. But unlimited Stonehenge and Abyss access is a no brainer for me.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    FinnienFinnien Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Personally I can't wait to play. Four bucks is a trivial cost, and they've done quite a bit of skill rebalancing, in addition to adding auction houses, new content, a bonus-mini boss system based on kills, etc. Then again, I'd play it again without any new additions just for nostalgia's sake. I just hope the game does better this time around than it did the first time.

Finnien on
    Finnien - 60 Human Priest
    www.sunderguild.com
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is there still a way to download via torrent? Their little download thing is running terribly for me.

Edit: Nevermind, they changed the download page to show a torrent link again.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Logged in just to remake my character. I'm planning to start playing again after the servers clear up from the influx of players starting again.

Character: Borda level 1 guardian.

Leave your characters name in this topic and I will compile a list.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Reinhardt - Lvl 1 Marksman.

Tried to /tell you it says Borda doesn't exist.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So is it really just free, then $4 for everything after Act 2?

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's more like the game costs 4 dollars, has a cash shop, and an unusually long demo.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MrVyngaard - Marksman

It will be good to get back into the shooting of things.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I forgot how terrible the graphics are. Though that doesn't matter so much if it is fun. Barely started, not sure which class to pick.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    As soon as this game gets DX10 or DX11 support, I'll be paying for EVERYTHING!

Morvidus on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Morvidus wrote: »
    As soon as this game gets DX10 or DX11 support, I'll be paying for EVERYTHING!

It's never getting either of those, so don't hold your breath.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    I forgot how terrible the graphics are. Though that doesn't matter so much if it is fun. Barely started, not sure which class to pick.

The non-city areas look much better for some reason. Unless it changed from the beta (I'm out of town, can't check), every non-city-streets area still had its full quality textures and lighting from the retail game way back when. But the city streets have ultra-low resolution textures on everything for some inexplicable reason.

But yeah, there will never be dx 10, certainly not dx11. Of the two, the dx10 has a .0000000001% chance of happening due to it already working in the retail one. DX 11 didn't exist then so no.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    EmruggsEmruggs Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Emruggs - Blademaster

The amount of green/blue loot in this game seems increased dramatically from the old days. I'm okay with it, it still satisfies my need to click madly and kill many things.

Also, regenerating loot pinatas for the lose.

Emruggs on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Emruggs wrote: »
    Also, regenerating loot pinatas for the lose.

Agreed on this point, it's a VERY strange decision to make in a (now korean) F2P game.

Some of their changes are bafflingly random.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    How do I buy a ticket? I dont see any links on the site.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Finally got this to work. The launcher apparently needs to run in Administrator mode, which is in direct contrast to every other game I've ever played on my PC.

With that out of the way, I rolled a Blademaster. Graverose. She's a cool chick, though I'm not really sure how to tell if Parry, for example, is even working. The servers always feel nearly crippled, as well, with loads of random bugs that make the game feel like it's being held together with duct tape and literally moments away from completely dying with a horrible screech.

Damn fun, though. It feels good to be walking the streets and slaying zombies again. Give me a hoot and a holler if you happen to see me wandering around. I'll try to be on my best behavior.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I'm going to be playing from 6:30 pm est - 8:00 pm est if anyone wants to join me.

/w Borda

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Within 20 minutes of playing this game I had a gun that fired an electric beam that froze guys in place so that I could shoot them with the slow-firing pistol in my other hand that shoots a bolt that embeds in the guys and then explodes

I don't know if I think the game is good but I know that this is a fucking blast.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Usually playing my guardian from 7pm est - 9 pm est. Send Borda a whisper.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    with loads of random bugs that make the game feel like it's being held together with duct tape and literally moments away from completely dying with a horrible screech.

Well, sounds like they've gotten the True Hellgate Experience down pat. ;-)

Will have to fire it up again, assuming the beta client will just auto-patch up?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Within 20 minutes of playing this game I had a gun that fired an electric beam that froze guys in place so that I could shoot them with the slow-firing pistol in my other hand that shoots a bolt that embeds in the guys and then explodes

I don't know if I think the game is good but I know that this is a fucking blast.

You can also get an assault rifle that shoots swarms of bee's instead of projectiles.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You can also get an assault rifle that shoots swarms of bee's instead of projectiles.

I don't need to read anything else. Sold.

Actually though, this game got me through the holiday season when it came out. It wasn't the best game, but it definitely holds some fantastic memories for me. Had a really sweet looking guardian w/ the fire demon mask and some sweet dragon katana swords. Also had a fun marksman.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    darklite_x wrote: »

I don't need to read anything else. Sold.

And the bees are on fire.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I'm installing this now. I'll probably be purchasing a ticket as well once i figure out how to do so.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Ok, once I got through the tutorial bit this is starting to get fun. It's got that nice Diablo-ish dungeon grind addictiveness. There is something very satisfying about roasting demons/zombies with a napalm rocket launcher.

Is there a guild or something? Seems like there aren't many PA'ers on this. My character is an engineer; "Ansatz".

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Alright, I just got back into town today.

I see people talking about buying the ticket; I thought this was still in open beta. Is it live live?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Downloading now. Is it really fixed back from when it was a real retail game?

It's Korean now so it scares me that it will be a grind of me needing to kill 5 billion jelly beans or a million tree stumps to advance half a level. Also since it's Korean are they doing their standard pay for something to get access to it for a few hours or are they making it so things can be had for reals when money is spent?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm liking my Blademaster well enough, but so far it's literally just "hold down left mouse button, run around, wait until everything dies". Every now and then I hit 1. Not the most compelling gameplay so far. I might try out another class eventually. Haven't really had the desire to play lately.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Downloading now. Is it really fixed back from when it was a real retail game?

It's Korean now so it scares me that it will be a grind of me needing to kill 5 billion jelly beans or a million tree stumps to advance half a level. Also since it's Korean are they doing their standard pay for something to get access to it for a few hours or are they making it so things can be had for reals when money is spent?
    It is sort of grindy, in the way that Diablo is. There are quests with simple story elements (like an MMO), but mostly it is about slaughtering lots of demons with increasingly glowy/explosive weapons. Levels come pretty quickly at least into the teens (I haven't gotten further yet). I have several times been surprised that I had levelled up so soon. Of course it will slow down at higher levels.

The cash shop is mainly for things like XP boosts, inventory space and character respecs. The only required thing is a ticket for 4000 points ($4) which allows you access to Act 3 and beyond. I don't think there is any time limit on it.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    BrothermanfredyBrothermanfredy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Been playing today, and this is EXACTLY the game I hoped it would be back when it came out. I just never purchased it due to all the complaints. Lots of items, lots of killing, lots of exp. Just kind of low level grinding(Seems like there will be a grind, but make progress quickly if that makes sense).

I have a blademaster right now that is level 10, but I am having trouble with running out of STR and WLP(is that the correct shorthand? haha)

Any help to get around that?

Brothermanfredy on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't understand... is this f2p?

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Grabbing this, I used to play the hell out of it when flagship had it, hoping it's still as fun as I remember it.

Anon the Felon on