As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

BATMAN

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2011
    I mean, I love Dick Grayson, and Dick Grayson as Batman, but there's really no need to have him be Batman while Bruce is. If Bruce took a different role, then sure

But having two Batmen patrol the same city and interact with the same people is confusing. I mean, in Power Girl Dick kept appearing as Batman and then as soon as Bruce was back he was the Batman that was in it.

Plus it was super confusing because artists would constantly draw the wrong costume

Garlic Bread on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I always felt bad for Dick having to step into the shoes of Batman.

Bruce Wayne, a man trained by experts in every field.

Dick Grayson, a man trained by the man trained by experts in every field.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    As a comic reader, I enjoy continuity, because otherwise, things just feel like endless episodes of unchanging thundercats.

I realize that cycling through villains and never sticking to deaths is technically the same thing, but it at least gives that illusion.

Langly on
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Perhaps you gents could enlighten me about something. I'm only peripherally aware of the whole DC universe. I see the various animated movies if they are on Netflix, read the occasional GN, but I don't keep, as it were. I'm only marginally better versed in the Marvel universe, so comaprisons aren't really what I'm after. Mostly what I want to know is, do the various titles reference one another to any degree? Aside from Justice League, (thats DC, right?) I mean. I think the only times I see two DC main people they are fighting one another, and yes, I know this is common. I just don't know the various relationships the charachters have with one another. Do Superman and Batman really have a hate on for one another, or is it just Batman being his normal paranoid self? And is Superman generally portrayed as that much of an idiot compared to Batman? Most of my memories of these things are the animated series both of them had years ago.

Krieghund on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Batman and Superman generally tend to start out not liking each other, but growing into good friends and trusted allies. This is true for both the animated continuity and the comic one.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Superman and Batman are actually really good friends, there's a monthly comic that's just about them having adventures together (called Superman/Batman, appropriately). Superman's not an "idiot" compared to Batan, but Batman is the best detective on the planet, and Superman's a bit more naive and not anywhere near as clever. DC characters definitely pop up in each others' books, and things are referenced between books and stuff.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2011
    Superman is only written to be stupid by stupid writers

He's just a more optimistic and forgiving person (which could fall under Centipede Damascus's "naive" descriptor, but)

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2011
    yeah "naive" is probably a bit harsh

he's just an optimist where Batman is a pessimist

Centipede Damascus on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I always figured Superman's intelligence was just geared towards other things than deduction.

You know, like building robots and creating miniature stars on his forge.

Zonugal on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    superman is a huge moron

and he's always talking weird and hunched over and why does he have gray skin?

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Also, Superman can afford to be extremely optimistic when he literally has the power to change the world in a big way. He just prefers to make this happen by setting a super good example to inspire others to follow.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Goatmon wrote: »

Also, Superman can afford to be extremely optimistic when he literally has the power to change the world in a big way. He just prefers to make this happen by setting a super good example to inspire others to follow.

I think it's a little easier to be optimistic about everything when you go to stop a bank robbery, and they shoot you a hundred times and the only thing you have to do is sew up your wardrobe. Batman gets shot a hundred times and poor Alfred will be performing major heart/brain/lung/apendix surgery that night. I could see how that may dour your mood a bit.

Mvrck on
    edited July 2011
    Also, I liked how, in Brave and the Bold, Superman was kind of a numskull.

Goatmon on

edited July 2011

Superman is optimistic because he was raised to be a good person

Not because of his powers

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2011
    batman only really hates superman in Red Son and The Dark Knight Returns

and he doesn't really hate him in DKR, he just really disagrees with him.

Langly on
    edited July 2011
    Keith wrote: »

Superman is optimistic because he was raised to be a good person

Not because of his powers

That helps, too.

Goatmon on

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Also, I liked how, in Brave and the Bold, Superman was kind of a numskull.

i hope this is why you are jailed

DouglasDanger on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    superman is a huge moron

and he's always talking weird and hunched over and why does he have gray skin?

You're probably thinking of Igor.

Fencingsax on
    edited July 2011
    Igor doesn't have gray skin

he's talking about Superman's mixed-up twin, BIZARRO!

Centipede Damascus on
    edited July 2011
    bizarro am friend

Langly on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That means you're my enemy. You FIEND!

Fencingsax on
    edited July 2011
    Bizarro-speak is annoying because it's not consistent. I'd rather he just didn't speak at all

On a similar note, they should decide whether Zatanna says the entire sentence backwards or just the words for her spells.

Garlic Bread on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2011
    I'd say to let paul dini decide but I don't want to imagine him thinking about zatanna

DJ Eebs on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I wonder if he makes his wife speak backwards to him in bed

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I see it as

Superman is straight As smart

Batman is skip several grades ahead smart

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Paul Dini thinks about zatanna all the time

all the time

Jintor on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    edited July 2011
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I see it as

Superman is straight As smart

Batman is skip several grades ahead smart

I don't know... Superman has been depicted as really smart, on par with heavy weights.

His intelligence is just geared towards different aptitudes.

Zonugal on
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Superman possessed super genius-level intelligence and an eidetic memory (average people from Krypton already had genius level intelligence—they learned calculus at ten or eleven years). These enhanced mental capabilities were a direct result of his exposure to a yellow sun. Superman also possessed the mental ability to screen out the enormous amount of information received by his enhanced senses and to focus on a single detail such as a particular voice or location.

Modern era (John Byrne)
    His mental abilities were also curtailed to the point where intelligent humans, like geniuses Lex Luthor or Batman, could outsmart him.

redfenix on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    superman being a naive numbskull annoys the shit out of me, as does batman being the best at everything

DouglasDanger on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

his wife is hot and awesome.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    batman only really hates superman in Red Son and The Dark Knight Returns

and he doesn't really hate him in DKR, he just really disagrees with him.

There's that issue in No Man's Land when Superman pops in and tries to help people and Batman is like "wtf Clark, you ain't from where I'm from."

KalTorak on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    there was also that time Batman was like "that last time you inspired anyone was when you died."

But that was in Infinite Crisis and Infinite Crisis sucked

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jordyn wrote: »

Bizarro has a wife?

Bucketman on
    edited July 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    there was also that time Batman was like "that last time you inspired anyone was when you died."

But that was in Infinite Crisis and Infinite Crisis sucked

which was patently untrue since it was after he died that he wrestled that angel in JLA

Centipede Damascus on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Jordyn wrote: »

Bizarro has a wife?

they are talking about Paul Dini

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2011
    Woah Woah WOAH!

Superman wrestled an angel?!?

Zonugal on
    edited July 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Woah Woah WOAH!

JLA #7

wrestling.jpg

Centipede Damascus on
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    flash's face in panel 2

redfenix on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Woah Woah WOAH!

I tried googling to find a scan. Didn't find one, but..
    angelim.jpg

welp.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
This discussion has been closed.