As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phone Hacking In The UK] - An Old Fashioned English Fox Hunt

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm pretty glad that they know that closing the paper won't do anything itself in and of itself.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So Murdoch Senior is in London and has met with Brooks. Apparently NOTW's final edition sold 30% more than a normal Sunday edition. I can offer some anecdotal evidence of this, when I visited some friends who had three copies, where this was the first time they'd ever purchased the paper. They did it in order to hopefully make money in the future, based on rarity

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    I bought the Guardian yesterday whilst on holiday at the beach, and read it chortling happily to myself feeling incredibly happily.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I think it was the Guardian special where I read that they estimated most of the ex NOTW readers will probably go to the Mail, which is mildly depressing

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I think it was the Guardian special where I read that they estimated most of the ex NOTW readers will probably go to the Mail, which is mildly depressing

It will disappoint them. It has plenty of the thinly-veiled xenophobia, but none of the tits. They'll have to learn to be content with sweaty-palmed uncle captions underneath a more discreet form of panty shot. They will thrill to the sight of the minor aristocracy stumbling out of cabs and showing a bit of thigh, and the thought of Sophie, 19, from Basingstoke, in a thong (and who wants you to know that she's terribly worried about the effect that Nick Clegg is having on Cameron's government) will be but a distant memory.

Until the Sun on Sunday starts up again, anyway.

Bogart on
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So Murdoch Senior is in London and has met with Brooks. Apparently NOTW's final edition sold 30% more than a normal Sunday edition. I can offer some anecdotal evidence of this, when I visited some friends who had three copies, where this was the first time they'd ever purchased the paper. They did it in order to hopefully make money in the future, based on rarity

Tell them the crossword section is where the hidden gems are.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/11/news-of-the-world-crossword

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Miliband is having a good scandal.

Oh Polly with lines like these you can have all the plain crackers you want.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/jul/10/miliband-initiative-commons-vote-bskyb

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    edited July 2011
    So apparently the next big event will be whether or not Labour puts a motion to parliament on Wednesday calling for a delay on the BSkyB deal and that the LibDems have a free vote on the matter, if it is lodged

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So I was just looking at some blogs (in this case, a NZ blog frequented by people who used to live in the UK or ar UK expats), and someone posted the text below (in italics), about a similar but low level BSkyB scandal regarding ITV Digital. I don't know of the events around the below as I could care less about football, but it does seem pretty worrying:

For interest: I tweeted a bit of this but thought it worth a broader explanation.

Why Murdoch should never be allowed to get anywhere near a BSkyB takeover.

ITVDigital launched a new satellite channel in the UK, they used the same encrypted card system used by a major French broadcaster Canal plus. These guys are in competition with Sky, and they bought the rights to National league football at considerable cost for distribution on their network starting in 2011. By mid 2000 the European markets were flooded with cracked decoder cards for Canal plus and ITVDigital.

The only group known to have cracked these cards was an Israeli branch of NDS a tech company owned by Newscorp. It appears that they were paid to do this.

Meanwhile a British arm of NDS gave funds to a site called the House of Ill Compute where the code for cracking the cards appeared. This seems to have been facilitated by a guy called Ray Adams a “retired” Met Policeman (then head of security at NDS) with a controversial past. Adams paid another guy called Lee Gibling who ran the House of Ill Compute who “disappeared” at the time when all this kicked off and Canal+ started litigation.

The result of the cracked code was catastrophic for British Football because without fee paying subscribers ITVDigital had no hope of paying clubs the fees they owed. Football clubs would have undoubtedly spent much of their money in advance. Elsewhere ITVDigital was under pressure from BSB allegedly at the behest of guess who?

ITVDigital was in the hands of the liquidators by 2002.

It appears that 2002 for Rupert.

This is the sort of stuff that makes movies but no one really wants the bad guy to win do they ?

These links are all to the Guardian I’m afraid they are the only ones could find.

Link 1
    Link 2

Link 3
    Link 4

Link 5

Kalkino on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It will be interesting to see what Private Eye has to say about this. Though they are witty, they're also quite insightful in affairs that we might be missing. I imagine Ian Hislop must be rubbing his hands in glee.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    brake 7brake 7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I was just looking at some blogs (in this case, a NZ blog frequented by people who used to live in the UK or ar UK expats), and someone posted the text below (in italics), about a similar but low level BSkyB scandal regarding ITV Digital. I don't know of the events around the below as I could care less about football, but it does seem pretty worrying:

For interest: I tweeted a bit of this but thought it worth a broader explanation.

ITVDigital launched a new satellite channel in the UK, they used the same encrypted card system used by a major French broadcaster Canal plus. These guys are in competition with Sky, and they bought the rights to National league football at considerable cost for distribution on their network starting in 2011. By mid 2000 the European markets were flooded with cracked decoder cards for Canal plus and ITVDigital.

The only group known to have cracked these cards was an Israeli branch of NDS a tech company owned by Newscorp. It appears that they were paid to do this.

Meanwhile a British arm of NDS gave funds to a site called the House of Ill Compute where the code for cracking the cards appeared. This seems to have been facilitated by a guy called Ray Adams a “retired” Met Policeman (then head of security at NDS) with a controversial past. Adams paid another guy called Lee Gibling who ran the House of Ill Compute who “disappeared” at the time when all this kicked off and Canal+ started litigation.

The result of the cracked code was catastrophic for British Football because without fee paying subscribers ITVDigital had no hope of paying clubs the fees they owed. Football clubs would have undoubtedly spent much of their money in advance. Elsewhere ITVDigital was under pressure from BSB allegedly at the behest of guess who?

This is the sort of stuff that makes movies but no one really wants the bad guy to win do they ?

You got a link to the blog there please Kalkino?

brake 7 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    brake 7 wrote: »

You got a link to the blog there please Kalkino?

Hehttp://publicaddress.net/hardnews/a-nation-bullied/re

See page three of the comments for the original of what I posted

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So apparently the next big event will be whether or not Labour puts a motion to parliament on Wednesday calling for a delay on the BSkyB deal and that the LibDems have a free vote on the matter, if it is lodged

Yeah it'll be interesting if the Tory's are able to put forward an compromise that will satisfy their own members and the Liberals before wedesday. Mills is having a really good scandal.

Bastable on

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I like the reports about MP's wandering around looking dazed and giddy with the newfound freedom to talk about the Murdoch press honestly, as if they've seen sunlight for the first time.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bogart wrote: »
    I like the reports about MP's wandering around looking dazed and giddy with the newfound freedom to talk about the Murdoch press honestly, as if they've seen sunlight for the first time.

:lol:

It's like they pulled back the curtain and found the Great and Powerful Oz is just a wizened mad old midget...

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Bastable wrote: »

Yeah it'll be interesting if the Tory's are able to put forward an compromise that will satisfy their own members and the Liberals before wedesday. Mills is having a really good scandal.

I agree, this has come along just in time for him. I think his performance has been good enough too

Kalkino on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Whats up guys

I suggest changing [UK Phone Hacking] to [NewsCorp Criminal Conspiracy]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/8629180/Rupert-Murdochs-News-Corp-could-face-100m-bill-for-US-investigation-into-police-payments.html

Womp womp

Murdoch's NewsCorp is now facing criminal investigation in America. A probe that would investigate every single NewsCorp branch and affiliate. Your move, Murdoch.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Shit is gonna get real at 5pm, Sunday Times getting dragged in, word is the NOTW or another also hacked 9/11 victims.

James Murdoch will need to live in the Jungle by the end of this.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Thirty years of Murdoch getting his own way makes me cautious about premature celebrations, but those certainly do look like chickens coming home to roost.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Venkman90 wrote: »

:lol:

It's like they pulled back the curtain and found the Great and Powerful Oz is just a wizened mad old midget...
    :lol:Follow the Money-Brick road... :mrgreen:

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thirty years of Murdoch getting his own way makes me cautious about premature celebrations, but those certainly do look like chickens coming home to roost.

Yeah, I mean, you look at what Berlusconi's been up to in Italy and yet somehow is still able to stay in charge of the country. I remember my teacher in 6th Form pointing out how similar he and Murdoch were with their powerful media empires, but his mistake was to go into leadership while Murdoch preferred to pull strings without all the attention on himself. Short of finding actual bodies, weapons and fingerprints, I still reckon News Corp will survive this.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Shit is gonna get real at 5pm, Sunday Times getting dragged in, word is the NOTW or another also hacked 9/11 victims.

James Murdoch will need to live in the Jungle by the end of this.

Hacking 9/11 victims might make this spread to the U.S.A.
    It sounds like it has potential to upset the U.S.A-public.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well so far the shit for today is that they hacked Gordon Browns medical records and bank account, which is fraud and jail time without question.

The 9/11 thing is still being verified.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    darleysam wrote: »

Yeah, I mean, you look at what Berlusconi's been up to in Italy and yet somehow is still able to stay in charge of the country. I remember my teacher in 6th Form pointing out how similar he and Murdoch were with their powerful media empires, but his mistake was to go into leadership while Murdoch preferred to pull strings without all the attention on himself. Short of finding actual bodies, weapons and fingerprints, I still reckon News Corp will survive this.

Oh no doubt. But this is some seriously nasty shit - 9/11 man.

Truck.jpg

NewsCorp and Fox News will now be defending themselves in front of a criminal investigation. Their own rhetoric of "innocent people don't get investigated" is now going to damn them. Their competition is not going to let this opportunity pass, people like Beck et al. are going to ride this for all its worth.

Robman on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Robman wrote: »
    people like Beck et al. are going to ride this for all its worth.

I thought that sorry excuse for a carnival barker got kicked off the air?

Possibly to go work at actual carnivals?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/11/phone-hacking-news-international-gordon-brown

It's pretty explosive
    Grauniad wrote:
    Journalists from across News International repeatedly targeted the former prime minister Gordon Brown, attempting to access his voicemail and obtaining information from his bank account, his legal file as well as his family's medical records.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Confidential health records for Brown's family have reached the media on two different occasions. In October 2006, the then editor of the Sun, Rebekah Brooks, contacted the Browns to tell them that they had obtained details from the medical file of their four-month-old son, Fraser, which revealed that the boy was suffering from cystic fibrosis. This appears to have been a clear breach of the Data Protection Act, which would allow such a disclosure only if it was in the public interest. Friends of the Browns say the call caused them immense distress, since they were only coming to terms with the diagnosis, which had not been confirmed. The Sun published the story.

His kid, his sick kid no less.

The Sun needs to die next.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

No, he and Fox parted ways because he wanted more control and more money. Now he's directly competing with Fox, much like Olbermann is now competing with MSNBC.

Robman on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

He still gets to work behind the scenes at fox news as a producer.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Fucking hell, Milliband tearing it up on the dispatch box.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Oooh, Hunt with the counter punch.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    edited July 2011

The Sun (and to a lesser extent the Times) ignoring this story for years is a pretty chilling demonstration of why media monopolies are bad. If no one ever hears about what you're doing, no one can ever be outraged.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Cameron looks like a right pussy now.

Wednesday will be legend.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I saw a retweet that thought the best idea was to play the Imperial March over Heathrow PA when Murdoch was arriving.

I am in full support of this idea.

I would pay to see this happen.

If nothing else, it'd make for an awesome Daily Show moment... which means we should email Jon's staff and get them on it now.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

The Sun (and to a lesser extent the Times) ignoring this story for years is a pretty chilling demonstration of why media monopolies are bad. If no one ever hears about what you're doing, no one can ever be outraged.

Yeah, this is exactly my thinking over the whole thing. If they can snuff out a story simply by ignoring it (as looked likely to happen with this before the Milly Dowler story broke), that shows they already have too much control. Outraged celebrities? That's perfect Sun fodder, yet somehow they didn't want to talk about it.. so yeah, hopefully in amongst all the political posturing and grabs for attention, an actual positive shakeup of our media might just, just maybe start to take place.

edit: Pretty sure this doesn't need anything else said. Just read and despair. Then vow, as an individual, as a human, never to support this most appalling, disgusting excuse for a newspaper.
    4.37pm: On the Sun website you can still see its trumpeting of its 2006 story that Gordon Brown's son has cystic fibrosis, under the headline "The Sun online - we break news". The article notes:
    THIS year has seen your No1 Sun online break some cracking news stories.

We set the news agenda on November 30, breaking the sad news that Gordon Brown's baby boy Fraser has Cystic Fibrosis.

As well as telling the devastating news, the story was used to increase national understanding of the condition, in partnership with the Cystic Fibrosis Trust.

The Sun story is here.

Today my colleague Nick Davies reveals:

In October 2006, the then editor of the Sun, Rebekah Brooks, contacted the Browns to tell them that they had obtained details from the medical file of their four-month-old son, Fraser, which revealed that the boy was suffering from cystic fibrosis. This appears to have been a clear breach of the Data Protection Act, which would allow such a disclosure only if it was in the public interest. Friends of the Browns say the call caused them immense distress, since they were only coming to terms with the diagnosis, which had not been confirmed. The Sun published the story.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    And now the end-game begins:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/8630545/Shareholders-sue-News-Corp-for-failing-to-take-early-action-on-phone-hacking-scandal.html

This is not some activist shareholders - this is serious pension funds doing it. Corporate governance, the full shebang.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    edited July 2011
    And now the end-game begins:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/8630545/Shareholders-sue-News-Corp-for-failing-to-take-early-action-on-phone-hacking-scandal.html

This is not some activist shareholders - this is serious pension funds doing it. Corporate governance, the full shebang.

I wonder if this will spread to North America. NewsCorp is a big stable company that lots of pension funds probably heavily invest in here as well.

Robman on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Cameron looks like a right pussy now.

Wednesday will be legend.

In fairness Cameron always looks like a pussy.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So Hunt has referred the BSkyB purchase to the Competition Commission, but not long before NI changed the proposal in such a way that perhaps made it easier for the government to do that. I'm not really sure on the details here, or what NI is playing at

Kalkino on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    RMS Oceanic on