As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [STEAM] Thread: Sale is over, now you have to wait another 15 years to buy Quake

GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Games and Technology
DNfgD.png
steamlogom.png
facebook.gif twitter.gif

Coping With Steam: Reinterpreted Artistic Commentary on Our Shared Affliction
tMRzb.jpg

xHlDY.jpg

JG9rG.jpg

Most Frequently Asked Questions

1. Steam's search tool is cumbersome and not very informative. Is there a website, other than Steam's, I can go to find out what's on sale?

2. Can I register this copy of (Insert Game Here) on Steam?
Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it.

3. If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?
No, this was a one-time thing for people who already owned Half-Life 2 and bought the Orange Box. Additional copies you own are lost forever to the ether.

4. Why isn't __Insert Game Here__ available in my region?
Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game.

5. How do I get an invite to the Penny Arcade Steam group?
The most convenient way is to just post a link to your Steam profile page (getting one of the swank signatures described below makes it easy) and ask for an invite.

Some Words on Gifting

If you receive a game or pack via a gift or a contest, remember to thank that person either through a PM or by announcing it in the thread. We are classy gentlemen and will act as such.

If you are having trouble sending a gift to someone or want to grab a game at sale price to be used as a gift sometime down the road, remember you have the option of sending a gift via e-mail, including to your own e-mail! You can then forward the e-mail message to the intended recipient at some later time, as long as the hyperlink to actually open the gift hasn’t been clicked.

An Important Word on Contests

If you decide to run or participate in a giveaway contest for gift copies of games, please remember that all entry submissions must now be made via PM. The forum mods have stated that pages of the thread being filled with pictures, videos, etc. submitted as contest entries will lead to such contests being banned. So please, for the sake of the thread – take it to PMs.

Helpful Stuff

Steam Price Guide
Do you have the misfortune to live somewhere other than America? Steam hates you! Luckily, this cool website with prices for Steam games all around the world is here to help, so you can know if you want to ask an American friend to buy the game for you or not.
AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Ampix wrote: »
LaCabra wrote: »
150KB/s :(

Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview (run as admin if you're on Vista) to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

This shit totally needs to go into the OP, I've tipped this to so many people already.
Cool Community Add-Ons

Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!
Sample signature:
steam_sig.png

http://www.ddgamer.com/signatures.php. Select Avatar from the drop down list.

You need to delete your Avatar under:
Edit Avatar

Then add that URL in the Avatar URL field in:
Edit Your Details

Also, the border changes color based on if you're online, offline or in-game.

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Roulette
Having trouble picking a game out of your burgeoning [strike]backlog[/strike] gamebank to play? Let VicWhiten's Steam Roulette decide! Just type in your Steam community ID (easier if you set up a custom URL on your Steam profile page), and Steam Roulette will read your library and randomly pick one game every time you hit "Spin the Wheel!" It even connects to Steam to allow you to install or start the game with a single click.

In closing, remember our words:

WE SERVE THE NEWELL.

Gaslight on

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The Sayonara Summer Camp Scavenger Hunt

IS CLOSED

Winners to be announce shortly.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm free. Yay!

Decoy on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Anyone who I haven't managed to invite who plays Frozen Synapse is hereby invited to the new Penny Arcade Frozen Synapse Steam group.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    What are the chances of Cthulu Saves the World/Breath of Death VII having Steam Cloud support? It won't affect my decision to buy it, but as someone who travels frequently, I love when a game supports it.

SteevL on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am ashamed to say I forgot who actually made Steam Roulette a reality. If someone could remind me or if the creator could step forward so I can properly credit them in the OP, I'd appreciate it.

Gaslight on
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Finally a thread that will last more than a day.

Oh also, besides CTSW and BOD7 coming out on the 13th, we're also getting Dungeons of Dredmoor on that day. I love a fresh hot indie RPG injection.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    SteevL wrote: »
    What are the chances of Cthulu Saves the World/Breath of Death VII having Steam Cloud support? It won't affect my decision to buy it, but as someone who travels frequently, I love when a game supports it.

We didn't find out that we were approved for Steam until relatively late so we don't have any Steamworks features at the moment. Maybe our next game.

And yes, Dungeons of Dredmor also comes out on Wednesday. I'm in the beta and it's an awesome roguelike so make sure to add it to your cart when you're buying our games. :)

RainbowDespair on
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    roguelike

say no more

sold!

hatedinamerica on
  • VicWhitenVicWhiten Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I am ashamed to say I forgot who actually made Steam Roulette a reality. If someone could remind me or if the creator could step forward so I can properly credit them in the OP, I'd appreciate it.

Holy crap I made the OP? Thats my site, still working on making it better and whatnot. Thanks!!!

VicWhiten on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Would OP be willing to accept PM's of our summer stats (games gifted, received, bought, etc) and add them to the top? That's an alternative to making a separate thread, if preferred.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Decoy wrote: »
    I'm free. Yay!

Skoal Cat on
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Just wanted to say thanks to whoever recommened Ghost Master. Never heard of it, snagged it right before the sale ended, played a bit, is totally my type of game.

Corpekata on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Winners of the Scavenger Hunt

SvK and Manetherenwolff

Runner up EvilMonkey

And once again big thanks for the extra prizes to the classy
    Blackbird SR-71C
    Nathrak
    Forar

And thanks to everyone who played!

For those stuck on Puzzle 2, if you still wanna play:

"he who died that day is the key"

all lowercase, with space.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Probably not much of a chance of winning with only 10 tickets.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Nice work, Decoy.

Gaslight, any room for the comics to come back in the OP? :)

Snuggles, Borderlands does tell you about the lock on when you first get into the car. You can also check the OP of the Borderlands Thread for this and other frustration avoiding tips.

Skoal Cat, what's your Steam ID?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Anyone who I haven't managed to invite who plays Frozen Synapse is hereby invited to the new Penny Arcade Frozen Synapse Steam group.

On that note, I was looking at the page this morning right before the sale closed. I read your recommendation, and bought it because of that (Well that and hearing people rave about it, but your recommendation pushed me over the edge haha).
    SteevL wrote: »

We didn't find out that we were approved for Steam until relatively late so we don't have any Steamworks features at the moment. Maybe our next game.

And yes, Dungeons of Dredmor also comes out on Wednesday. I'm in the beta and it's an awesome roguelike so make sure to add it to your cart when you're buying our games. :)

While on the topic of CSTW/BODVII (Thanks Again!!!!), I take it Steam Art for List and Grid view is on its way?

Zerokku on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hooray, now instead of ticket hunting I can plow through the rest of FEAR and then maybe knock out Dead Space 2.

... I'm sensing a theme here.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    As much a chance as anyone with 1 ticket. Times ten.

Ten is probably decent. I've got plenty of friends with two or three entries (not really trying). Don't feel bad about not having 30+ tickets like all us crazy Steam sale obsessed veterans. You will join us soon. It is inevitable. Think of how much better your chances would be with just one more ticket... just one more. Wait for Christmas. (unless The Newell decides to implement quarterly sales... or more events like the Potato Pack...)

<Palpatine>Soon the Alliance will be crushed, and Zilla will be one of us.</Palpatine>

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
    edited July 2011
    Iolo wrote: »

Speaking of comics...

paspouse.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh hey, what is this!?
    boddd.jpg

No fancy artwork though :(

Thanks again to Zeboyd for the review copies of BoD and Cthulu!
    Now this makes me an OFFICIAL GAME REVIEWER and also coincides with my FIRST BRIBE for FAVOURABLE TREATMENT.

In UNRELATED news my reviews for BoD VII and Cthulu Saves the World are IN!.

ELEVEN THUMBS UP!

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wow, I was gone all weekend so I didn't get a chance to say

:!:THANK YOU IOLO!:!:

You are a fine upstanding gentleman for gifting me Mass Effect 2.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    edited July 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    Oh hey, what is this!?
    boddd.jpg

Now this makes me an OFFICIAL GAME REVIEWER and also coincides with my FIRST BRIBE for FAVOURABLE TREATMENT.

ELEVEN THUMBS UP!

Yikes, just 11, huh. I guess they'll have to bribe harder next time.

Attention all budding game devs, I'll give you at least 24 thumbs in whatever direction (or orifice :winky: ) you want for review copies of your games or of other games or for money or food or if you wink at me the right way.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Apparently Dungeon Defenders is available Q2 2011, I guess they finally sorted out their problems.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Lepwave wrote: »
    Apparently Dungeon Defenders is available Q2 2011, I guess they finally sorted out their problems.

Feels like I have been waiting for it for so long, so so long.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    edited July 2011

Snuggles, Borderlands does tell you about the lock on when you first get into the car. You can also check the OP of the Borderlands Thread for this and other frustration avoiding tips.

Guessed I missed it.

I have a more immediate problem regarding Hitman: Blood Money. Here's my post from the same thread which has yet to be addressed.
    So it turns out the reason I couldn't adjust the graphic values in the options was because I had to hold and drag the small white squares. Okay.

But now there's a new problem: maxing everything results in a mostly black screen.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/558661528646067832/A28DC1E3783ED2C8FA82CC0C9634AEC4C3A3CA51/

Sure, that might be cool as a Sin City type deal, but I can't see shit, captain. Help?

Would love to get this sorted out.

I also asked about Vampire's fan patch; there's a program called VPK Tool that has a textures tab listing things like "Trilinear" and "Antiscoptic" under a Headlines bar. I was wondering if checking these terms means I would enable such enhancements on the game itself.

Also, how do I make a cool games collection image like the one above?

edited July 2011
    Oh hey, what is this!?
    boddd.jpg

ELEVEN THUMBS UP!

When you consider that only two of those thumbs were ones I was born with, it's a much more impressive score.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm expecting the artwork for the games to pop up when the game is officially out.

Should anyway. I had to make a whole bunch of different sized header style images for CSTW and BODVII for Steam :)

slash000 on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh hey, what is this!?
    boddd.jpg

ELEVEN THUMBS UP!

When you consider that only two of those thumbs were ones I was born with, it's a much more impressive score.

Born with only 2 thumbs? Pfft. Peasant.

Zerokku on
    edited July 2011
    Also, how do I make a cool games collection image like the one above?
    In steam, "View >> Games Grid"

or just click the little boxes representing Grid on the top right hand side of the "Library" panel. (the 3 icons are Detail/List/Grid)

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Not to rain on your parade, but they've just been adjusting the release date all along. A few months back it was listed as Q1 2011

And prior to that it had actual specific release dates, and at one point they even waited until the day it was supposedly releasing to change the date

Maddoc on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Vicktor wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    As much a chance as anyone with 1 ticket. Times ten.

Ten is probably decent. I've got plenty of friends with two or three entries (not really trying). Don't feel bad about not having 30+ tickets like all us crazy Steam sale obsessed veterans. You will join us soon. It is inevitable. Think of how much better your chances would be with just one more ticket... just one more. Wait for Christmas. (unless The Newell decides to implement quarterly sales... or more events like the Potato Pack...)

<Palpatine>Soon the Alliance will be crushed, and Zilla will be one of us.</Palpatine>
    :lol:

You have forty tickets? :o

I always think people like you must exist in some lucky, paradoxical confluence of both free time AND money. :P

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    edited July 2011
    Look what I am playing. AT THE SAME TIME.
    sametimem.jpg

It's a good job I had the foresight to lop off some spare hands. Children don't need hands anyway, they'd only waste them on finger painting or exploring electric sockets.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Damn youuuuuu Ramiiiiiiiiii!!!

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You have a large screen.

Captain Carrot on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Speaking of comics...

paspouse.jpg

As long as i'm caretaker, yes, I just haven't saved all the good ones so I need to track them down. That one will be in, and if Simone could be so kind as to re-post the original I SERVE THE NEWELL one again?

Gaslight on
    edited July 2011
    Is there going to be some kind of Zeboyd 2 pack with both games?
    Either way consider both bought so hard the second they show on the store.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2011
    Okay, found out why Hitman goes black like that; it happens when I set the AA to anything but disabled. Even moving it to 2x causes that darkened issue.

Anyone know of a fix?

• BluefistBluefist Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Viking wrote: »
    Is there going to be some kind of Zeboyd 2 pack with both games?
    Either way consider both bought so hard the second they show on the store.

Yeah they should be both together for $3 I believe.

Bluefist on
    STEAM & PSN: Bluefist56
    steam_sig.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    I'll have more information later, but I will be giving away copies of CStW and BoD in what I like to call "Cthulhu Saves My Birthday."

So if you were a bad forumer and forgot to set aside a little cash for these gems, I have got your back.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

Err, aren't we already in Q3?

But yea I've been waiting for this to come out for PC for so long now too :(

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12