As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Minecraft! 1.8 Adventure Update is officially here! NEW MAP

• intropintrop Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Anyway, crazy question about the rails. Would it be possible (if the traffic ever justified it and the server got big and populated enough, just hypothetically) to create more than the two main lines (North/South, East/West)? Say, an additional East/West line around x=1500 that would still intersect with the main North/South line. We don't need it (yet, I don't think) but I was wondering.

Not so crazy question about the rails: are there any plans to update the map and the stations? I know the South line has gotten rather longer and more complicated recently. Also I'd like to be able to go straight to Aqaba instead of going south and then changing the station to Aqaba.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Yes #1: if someone wants to dig the intersecting tunnels, make sure they aren't hitting people's stuff, etc., go nuts. The whole system is designed to expand as traffic requires (which is why there's room for two-track systems near spawn, etc.). Routing a grid system is going to be a total bitch, though, so don't think it'll be puppies and roses to actually implement.

Yes #2: when people PM me, I update the map. I have one PM re map updates.

Yes #3: station updates happen as people see the need for it (due to traffic) or when they PM me and I can put down my gigantic blueberry pie slices long enough to go update the relevant stations. I have zero PMs with such requests, and this is a lot of pie.

What? It's fresh fruit season here in southwestern Virginia!

introp on
    Steam ID: highentropy
  • dargondarkfiredargondarkfire wyomingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    i am piston king!

thats sounds... just so dirty.

dargondarkfire on
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    god, i have not taken advantage of the summer bounty at all, and there's a hipster farmer's market right by our place every Saturday. however, it is in the morning, which explains why i don't want to walk there with all the people and the daylight, hissss. i need a goddamn watermelon and some fresh corn.

o, uh hai guys. i'll try to work on my Skylands city some night this week.

introp, i am jealous of your pie. i have not had any pie this summer. or cobbler. this is a travesty.
    man, i am hardcore flipping into country kid mode right now; feemin' for fruits and veg!

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    when do we get minecraft pie.

apricotmuffins on
    edited July 2011
    when do we get minecraft pie.

only ifyou can get ultimak to install the pumpkin pie mod.

dargondarkfire on
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh man I've been too busy to play Minecraft lately. Oh noes I am losing touch with the happenings on the server.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So this most recent tweet by notch sheds some light on when the 1.8 adventure update will be coming out.
    notch wrote:
    The Minecraft Adventure Update will be playable in our booth at Pax.
    http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/90841519468187648

If he is saying it will be playable at pax in late august, that means it wont be out till sometime in september or later. With the release date of minecraft set to be november this could very well be the last really big update until after the game comes out.

newest render, as of today 4am EST: http://zoom.it/zag8

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Makes me sad I won't be at pax.

DeShadowC on
    edited July 2011
    I wasn't able to get the money together this year for prime, hopefully i can hit both pax's next year.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm going to join in this non-pax sad-five.

o/

also, found a post processing shader
    A58Ur.jpg

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That lamb in the corner is sad too.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Holy god you guys sunrises with this shader

brEL3.png

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    ultimakay wrote: »
    I wasn't able to get the money together this year for prime, hopefully i can hit both pax's next year.

If I make it to next year's PAX prime, I'll make it a point to personally thank you for running the server.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    edited July 2011
    Napalmdonkey's ostentarium

MvjCv.jpg

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    eek eek want that shader!! where's it from!

mensch-o-matic on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Here is a shot of my island on the left and Ferrets Island on the right, from the future site of <Insert Name Here> Harbor Station!

2011-07-11_162226.png

Very spare and Spartan, kind of a nice contrast after staring at the giant boat in my harbor for the last few weeks.

I think so much of this game has been epic projects, mine or other peoples, it's kind of nice to see such a simple landscape with modest buildings like this.

sarukun on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Don't hold out on us, where is that shader?

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, I'm really dumb. Are all the orientations normal on this server? Like, do clouds still travel in the correct direction? When I press F3, which f(0,1,2,3) number is facing south?

I wanna go all the way to the very farthest southeast corner of the map and mine to my hearts content...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I should probably go back to spawn to clean up the mess around my underground entrance... anyone want to try helping me wire up a vertical piston elevator? Wait, first I need to have the materials to make 12 sticky pistons...

DarkPrimus on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    oh huh
    it looks like there is room for another old haggard settler on this world.

So the way I understand it, the bedrock is essentially replaced with gates to the nether?

Pretty much, the layer you first see the bedrock is fine, but digging down into the bedrock layer will teleport you to the nether.

Also for any interesting parties, if our map had a sea level of 100 it would look like this (this is only a 5k x 5k map, so imagine this but 3 times larger): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19689254/rendertest100.png

somebody call Kevin Costner

Fuck Kevin Costner, someone call Link and the King of Red Lions

Edit: oh, sweet

4891592977_e591fa4ca8_z_d.jpg

Delzhand on
    edited July 2011
    Talith wrote: »

Here are the shaders I'm using:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6250847/NormalMapShaders64/NormalMapShaders64_post.zip

I'm feeling generous, so they're packed in a kit with instructions.

Warning: Your graphics card might explode. I can run Crysis at its best quality and Spawnville still lags a bit.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    twixxo what the hell are you doing up there

MrMonroe on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    twixxo what the hell are you doing up there

That's for him to know and for you to find out.

And possibly die trying.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    TheExAm wrote: »

Warning: Your graphics card might explode. I can run Crysis at its best quality and Spawnville still lags a bit.

it should also be noted that the readme says it is unsupported and you're shit will be broke when minecraft updates

Vann Diras on
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

I read that after i had done everything and.... i broke my minecraft.

All i get is a black screen after login and now i dont know what to do :(

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    oh huh
    it looks like there is room for another old haggard settler on this world.

So the way I understand it, the bedrock is essentially replaced with gates to the nether?

Pretty much, the layer you first see the bedrock is fine, but digging down into the bedrock layer will teleport you to the nether.

Also for any interesting parties, if our map had a sea level of 100 it would look like this (this is only a 5k x 5k map, so imagine this but 3 times larger): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19689254/rendertest100.png

somebody call Kevin Costner

this would be so cool

ooh, so close! the correct answer was King Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule!

but thanks for playing! did you have fun?

VALVEjunkie on
  • OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    fuck that nonsense he will always be King Boat to me

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
    edited July 2011
    we would have also accepted "The King of Red Lions" or "King Boat"

VALVEjunkie on
  • MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    still fantasizing about one day making a scale reproduction of Dragon Roost Island

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
    edited July 2011
    we would have also accepted "The King of Red Lions" or "King Boat"

i always called him talking boat or the talky boat, or the boat who knows everything for some strange reason and can't get to the point and keep his mouth shut! and drags on and on and on.

dargondarkfire on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So what patch is the server on right now? Couldn't find it anywhere in the op.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
    edited July 2011

it should also be noted that the readme says it is unsupported and you're shit will be broke when minecraft updates

Yeah I kinda made that kit as a one time thing. Getting all the mods together is time consuming and I have to do it for myself every time minecraft updates. Those instructions should be good for the next versions of those mods, though. You'll have to get new versions of everything but the shaders themselves.

Daxnitro is not working on the GLSL mod at the moment, so you have to scrounge its thread for the unofficial updates by Laurina, who's been updating it basically by herself. Dax said he'd add her updates to the OP, but so far he hasn't come through on that.

Who knows though, I might put out another kit when everything comes out on the next version, if there's enough demand.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    darunia106 wrote: »

i believe 1.7.2, with those on 1.7.3 being able to connect just fine

Vann Diras on
    edited July 2011
    darunia106 wrote: »

i believe 1.7.2, with those on 1.7.3 being able to connect just fine

This is correct. Soon the server will be on 1.7.3 as well, I will tell you guys when it is.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Mizuumi wrote: »
    still fantasizing about one day making a scale reproduction of Dragon Roost Island

guy that is pretending to be wimble, this is something I would be glad to help out with

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • mohnsolomohnsolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It took me a few nights of debugging, but I finally got my piston lighting system to work! It replaces four of the ceiling blocks with glowstone with the flick of a switch.

Before:
    VoTlO.jpg

After:
    9Za8s.jpg
    special thanks to pulse limiters, er, positive edge detecting, variable output pulse devices:winky:, and to my attic, for being huge.

mohnsolo on
    6CIpp.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Mizuumi wrote: »

guy that is pretending to be wimble, this is something I would be glad to help out with

Yeah I've had this idea. I love that island.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited July 2011
    So, I'm really dumb. Are all the orientations normal on this server? Like, do clouds still travel in the correct direction? When I press F3, which f(0,1,2,3) number is facing south?

I wanna go all the way to the very farthest southeast corner of the map and mine to my hearts content...

South is positive, North is negative on the X axis.

West is positive, East is negative on the Z axis.

Y axis is your altitude/depth.

So Cliff City for example is around X1000, Z-300 (South-East of spawn).

Type /pos in-game for more help.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited July 2011
    peeps, I've been looking for this texture pack all day, I saw it a few months ago and thought it looked really cool.
    it's basically the default textures but at a crazy high resolution, the planks still looked like planks but if you looked closely they had a wood-grain thing going on, stuff like that.

it was even normal-mapped! but I just cant find it and I'm slowly going insane looking.

does anybody know what I'm talking about?

VALVEjunkie on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    mohnsolo wrote: »
    It took me a few nights of debugging, but I finally got my piston lighting system to work! It replaces four of the ceiling blocks with glowstone with the flick of a switch.

Before:
    VoTlO.jpg

After:
    9Za8s.jpg
    special thanks to pulse limiters, er, positive edge detecting, variable output pulse devices:winky:, and to my attic, for being huge.

fascinating

how many pistons did it require?

MrMonroe on
This discussion has been closed.