As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iPad2 chronic Internet connectivity issues

DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
I've seen this message more than 20 times in the past 3 hours: "Cannot Open Page: Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the Internet." I've occasionally seen this in the past, like once a week maybe, but this is nuts.

Running iOS 4.3.3

WiFi icon is present and shows good signal (I'm maybe 3-4 meters from the WiFi access point and my PC laptop's not experiencing any problems). Will be browsing on Safari, and maybe I pause for a few minutes (composing a post for example) and when I hit submit, or try to open a new window to google I get that message. This is not a resume/wake from standby issue (though it happens then too).

Solutions I've tried:
(1) Renew DHCP lease (doesn't usually work)
(2) Turn off WiFi and turn on again (sometimes works)
(3) Reset Network Connection (usually works)
(4) Soft Reset (usually works)
(5) Hard Reset (usually works)

While there are some workarounds above that reliably work, I shouldn't have to do this every 5-10 minutes.

Don't think it's the WiFi or the ISP, since I'm responsible for IT services in the office and no one is reporting issues (my colleagues are quite avid in reporting connectivity issues, as in they will wait for me to finish explaining to someone else that there are network issues that I'm resolving, just so they can also report that they too are having such issues).

Anyone else seeing this? Seems like a new development. Could another App be causing the problem?

Djeet on

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There's supposedly a known issue with some iPad 2s wifi connection...not sure if it's on Apple's support forum

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You might want to try turning off Auto-Dimming/ Light level sensor and crank the brightness. Don't know quite why signal reception would be tied into the dimmer, but when I was having a similar issue that seemed to help and it's helped a bunch of people on the Apple Support forums as well.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Interesting development: I logged into office OWA through Safari and that worked (first time I'm using iPad of the day), able to check and open new mails via web interface. Open a new Safari window and cannot go to google. Tried to open a website through a link in email served by web interface. Same error: "Cannot Open Page: Safari cannot open ..." Left iPad and did some stuff on my laptop, woke the iPad, and when I hit the "show windows" button in Safari, the thumbnailed windows showed that the windows navigating to google and the webpage link I clicked earlier via email both had loaded the sites. Subsequent attempts to navigate web in Safari fail with old error. I've got this one Safari window to reddit that's working fine, everything else bupkiss. Fucking weird.

Thanks Wulf, I'll give that a try.

Djeet on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Also, you might try and download the Terra browser. It has tabs and multi-touch gestures, so it's already better than default Safari by a country mile, and it might solve your problem at the same time.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Does it do this everywhere or only at your house?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Gihgehls wrote: »

I'm curious about this too. I had a similar problem and actually found that when I lowered my wireless router's signal strength to about 70% it actually made it better.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Sorry for the late update, got sucked into some books on the kindle and had left the iPad alone for awhile.

Gihgehls wrote: »

I'm curious about this too. I had a similar problem and actually found that when I lowered my wireless router's signal strength to about 70% it actually made it better.

Interestingly enough, I rarely have this problem at home, but often have it at work. At home I'm running DD-WRT on a Linksys (WRT54GS v7 I think) and at work I have some shitty D-link that was free after rebate (no Tomato/DD-WRT available for it unfortunately). Mayhap it has something to do with the the work wifi router; not sure if I can adjust the gain on it, or if I want to if I could since I'm not getting reports of other users having wifi weirdness. If only some of my colleagues had iPads.

Djeet on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It could just be that interference at your work is causing your connection to drop out and the iPad isn't super quick about trying to re-establish it.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg