As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War

• Options
    pdoconnellpdoconnell Registered User new member
    edited April 2006
    ARGH, this is only reawakening my DEEP seeded anger for the person who stole my PS2 and AC5...with me on the second to the last level on my first pass through! I have the soundtrack, and everytime I hear the lyrics for Unsung War, I cry inside knowing I'm not going to be able to see that last level anytime soon. Guess I'll be renting a PS2 and AC0 next week.

...btw, apparently there are NO time trial videos or anything of AC5 missions, trust me I've looked for video of that last level just to see what I missed. Anyone have any ideas?

pdoconnell on
    To be determined...buh buh buuuuuh!
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Axen wrote:
    "Oh shit, they've got ribbon insignias! It's Mobius One!!!!"

"What the Hell!? They all have blue ribbons!"

You're not gonna believe this, jean-louis! All of them have ribbon insignias!

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    So, I'm on mission 11 now of Ace Combat 4. You're supposed to protect those transport ships with the engineers. One of the pilots said her name was Nagase. Now, is that the same one from Ace Combat 5? Because damn, that's pretty cool of that's the case!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    My main disappointment with 5 was how the player didn't seem involved in the story at all except while in the air. Did we even exist in cutscenes? AC4 is still my favorite, but I'll definitely give this a try. Hopefully the AC5 joystick will work with it.
    I just played through it today, and I wish, good sir, to know what you're smoking.

As well done as the yellow 13 subplot is, you're directly involved in said subplot exactly twice. Being when Yellow 4 is shot down during the Stonehenge raid, and when 13 himself fails to hit the silk.

Maybe 5 just spoiled me, but I felt almost no connection between myself and the world or story whatsoever.

Edit: scratch that. I should've read the entire thread all the way through.

Though I will agree that 4 felt like much more of an accurate portrayal of a military campaign (aside from sending you out alone all the time saying "You're our last hope!").

Edit no.2: As well, I know that there's a Usea on the maps for AC5, but I think that a cataclysmic asteroid strike and a superweapon-driven war would at least be mentioned off-hand somewhere.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Speaking of Stonehenge, how do I beat this beast?

Dashui on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I just loaded a Eurofighter with some UGB's made multiple high-speed low-altitude passes over the complex.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    bought Ace Combat 5 for my cousins for Christmas. I'm so jealous because I've heard so many good things about it, but I don't have a PS2 myself so I've never played it. Never have I been so tempted to buy a PS2 just for that game.

Fortunately, I'll be visiting them in two weeks so maybe I'll finally get to play it.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Out of curiosity, are armaments handled the way AC04 did (buyable loadouts) or the way AC5 (loadout tied to plane model) did?

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    Angry WeathermanAngry Weatherman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2006
    So, this looks awesome, but I don't want to play every game in the series. What's the story so far?

Angry Weatherman on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Shouldn't really matter, AC04 and AC5 are pretty unrelated. And the events that are supposed to happen in AC0 are explained in fairly vaguely in AC5.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    WHY wrote:
    My main disappointment with 5 was how the player didn't seem involved in the story at all except while in the air. Did we even exist in cutscenes? AC4 is still my favorite, but I'll definitely give this a try. Hopefully the AC5 joystick will work with it.
    I just played through it today, and I wish, good sir, to know what you're smoking.

As well done as the yellow 13 subplot is, you're directly involved in said subplot exactly twice. Being when Yellow 4 is shot down during the Stonehenge raid, and when 13 himself fails to hit the silk.

Maybe 5 just spoiled me, but I felt almost no connection between myself and the world or story whatsoever.

Edit: scratch that. I should've read the entire thread all the way through.

Though I will agree that 4 felt like much more of an accurate portrayal of a military campaign (aside from sending you out alone all the time saying "You're our last hope!").

Granted, I've only played AC5 once (and played AC4 countless times), and that was when it was released, but I just had the impression that in the cutscenes I was a fly on the wall watching what was going on with everyone but me.

With the story in AC4, you start out seeing how these kids are living in an occupied town where the enemy is in good shape. As time goes on, things get more desparate for the enemy because of your direct actions, causing them to eventually pull out of the city right before you take it. That, combined with the story presented in-mission, conveyed a feeling of "mattering" that I didn't get with AC5. I really should play it again, though. I think the fact that I really can't stand most anime also made AC5 a little less enjoyable for me because there were a lot of similarities, while with AC4 I could get into the role of a military pilot.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Actually, that reminds me of another thing.

In AC04, as far as the missions themselves go, it feels like you are the only one who really matters. Your single plane is the crux of the ISAF's entire military might, which is why they only ever send you on the most epic and important missions possible. Aside from that freaking balloon-busting one; I just personally blew up the enemy's super-weapon that caused them to nearly win this war, now you want me to shoot down tiny blimps?.

Mind you, you can say this extended to your other three squadron-mates in AC5, but at least there were others.

Edit: ...Which brings me to another thing. As much as I should like the ability to repair and rearm mid-mission, it just makes you into even more of a one-man airforce when you can fly around willy-nilly and never have to really worry about dying as much running out of ammo (when you already carry more than a carrier's worth of planes).

I mean, on one hand, AC5's tendency to make you take care when you make your shots or fly near SAM sites I prefer to this. On the other hand, rearming lets you go crazy-go-nuts with the Macross missile-salvoes since half the planes on the list come with XLAA's.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Bah, I don't need to babysit a bunch of newbs.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    So, this looks awesome, but I don't want to play every game in the series. What's the story so far?
    There is no "story so far."

They're all more or less standalone.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    There is no "story so far."

They're all more or less standalone.
    AC0 kinda ties into AC5 in a really vague way. [spoiler:726c78bb00]In other words, all you know is that you eventually win, the badguys nuke their own cities and go "underground" for 15 years after they lose.[/spoiler:726c78bb00]

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    So, I finished AC4 today, and then I jumped straight into Ace Combat Zero, seeing as my import copy arrived. This game, in one word, is beautiful. I'm only one mission in right now, so I don't have too much to say, but the live actor cutscene in the beginning was great.

Dashui on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I would of rather flown by my self then to deal with the clown shoes they teamed me up with. I laughed when [spoiler:e6d4887eab]that guy crashed into the ground and died in the stadium mission[/spoiler:e6d4887eab].
    would of been nice if rest of them went too.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    scootch wrote:
    I would of rather flown by my self then to deal with the clown shoes they teamed me up with. I laughed when [spoiler:53a85f2461]that guy crashed into the ground and died in the stadium mission[/spoiler:53a85f2461].
    would of been nice if the rest went too.

You're only teamed up with one wingman so far in AC0, and his call-sign is Pixy. So far this game is great. I had my first run in with a Rival Ace Squadron, and holy crap, those guys are on a whole 'nother level compared to the regular fighters. I barely beat the mission. It was fun, though, and very intense. The rating system is kind of nice, too. Right now I'm all the way on Knight. As far as radio chatter goes, for the most part it's all professional. Pixy and control will sometimes make comments, but usually only at the beginning or end of the stage.

Dashui on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Dashui wrote:
    scootch wrote:
    I would of rather flown by my self then to deal with the clown shoes they teamed me up with. I laughed when [spoiler:ed97b90e4c]that guy crashed into the ground and died in the stadium mission[/spoiler:ed97b90e4c].
    would of been nice if the rest went too.

You're only teamed up with one wingman so far in AC0, and his call-sign is Pixy. So far this game is great. I had my first run in with a Rival Ace Squadron, and holy crap, those guys are on a whole 'nother level compared to the regular fighters. I barely beat the mission. It was fun, though, and very intense. The rating system is kind of nice, too. Right now I'm all the way on Knight. As far as radio chatter goes, for the most part it's all professional. Pixy and control will sometimes make comments, but usually only at the beginning or end of the stage.

you feel me with hope.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    I updated the first post with impressions on the game. I don't think you'll be surprised - the game kicks all sorts of ass.

Dashui on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    scootch wrote:
    I would of rather flown by my self then to deal with the clown shoes they teamed me up with. I laughed when [spoiler:714c0ef600]that guy crashed into the ground and died in the stadium mission[/spoiler:714c0ef600].
    :cry: I was sad [spoiler:714c0ef600]when Chopper died[/spoiler:714c0ef600]

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SolSol Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Shadowfire wrote:
    scootch wrote:
    I would of rather flown by my self then to deal with the clown shoes they teamed me up with. I laughed when [spoiler:54c31e1d3d]that guy crashed into the ground and died in the stadium mission[/spoiler:54c31e1d3d].
    :cry: I was sad [spoiler:54c31e1d3d]when Chopper died[/spoiler:54c31e1d3d]

Me too, it was the music that did it for me. I also felt kinda cool in that mission when the rest of the enemy squads come in and at first they're all "They're no demons' we can take 'em." then once you shoot down a couple of 'em it turns to "Holy crap!"

Sol on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Shadowfire wrote:
    scootch wrote:
    I would of rather flown by my self then to deal with the clown shoes they teamed me up with. I laughed when [spoiler:e66374b3dd]that guy crashed into the ground and died in the stadium mission[/spoiler:e66374b3dd].
    :cry: I was sad [spoiler:e66374b3dd]when Chopper died[/spoiler:e66374b3dd]

[spoiler:e66374b3dd]I was sad when he died, too, but now whenever he starts running his mouth on missions i just say "shut up and die already."[/spoiler:e66374b3dd]

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2006
    SniperGuy wrote:
    So do you guys play this with a flight stick? I've always meant to check it out

Oh man. You have no idea how close to sex playing this with the Flightstick 2 is.

Are they doing another Flightstick bundle this time?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited April 2006
    Was the flightstick just a Saitek one with ace combat labels on it or something? Not that I care, Saitek is tops.

bombardier on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    bombardier wrote:
    Was the flightstick just a Saitek one with ace combat labels on it or something? Not that I care, Saitek is tops.
    More or less. A slightly modified version of the X45. A few of the buttons are different. But yeah, it's a Saitek. Works on computers too.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    bombardier wrote:
    More or less. A slightly modified version of the X45. A few of the buttons are different. But yeah, it's a Saitek. Works on computers too.

Seriusly on that one? I've been wanting a PC joystick lately, and the X45 caught my eye. If Zero comes out with a joystick similar to it now I'll surely get it too.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    You need to use unofficial, hacked drivers but it does work and works well.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    which joysticks work with the Ace Combat games?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    which joysticks work with the Ace Combat games?

Pretty much only the ones they sold with the Ace Combat games.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2006

Let me just get on my universal translator module

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Wren wrote:

The important part is in English. Just scroll down.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Wren wrote:

huh? sure I know where to download it, but all the important info is in japanese

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Wren wrote:
    Wren wrote:

huh? sure I know where to download it, but all the important info is in japanese

The important part is the download link.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    TobyToby Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Shadowfire wrote:
    scootch wrote:
    I would of rather flown by my self then to deal with the clown shoes they teamed me up with. I laughed when [spoiler:b08bba9573]that guy crashed into the ground and died in the stadium mission[/spoiler:b08bba9573].
    :cry: I was sad [spoiler:b08bba9573]when Chopper died[/spoiler:b08bba9573]

I would have been if only

[spoiler:b08bba9573]It hadn't taken like ten fucking minutes from when you knew he was going to die to when he actually did[/spoiler:b08bba9573]

Toby on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Wren wrote:
    Wren wrote:

The important part is the download link.

I don't just download any crazy link from the internet, I like to read about what I'm downloading first. I guess I'm just silly like that.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    DralloDrallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I went out and bought 5, they didn't have 4.

I'm enjoying it so far, the tutorials were a little anal sometimes.

Drallo on
    katamarisig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Okay, I just beat Ace Combat Zero. Wow. I had a smile on my face at the end. The cool thing is, the narrator is a journalist tracking your story. He hunts down the enemy aces you down and intereviews them, and of course, these actors are live. What makes this cool is, depending on your rank, you'll fight different aces, and therefore have different intereviews. I had the title of Knight.

Dashui on
  • Options
    SolSol Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Dashui wrote:
    Okay, I just beat Ace Combat Zero. Wow. I had a smile on my face at the end. The cool thing is, the narrator is a journalist tracking your story. He hunts down the enemy aces you down and intereviews them, and of course, these actors are live. What makes this cool is, depending on your rank, you'll fight different aces, and therefore have different intereviews. I had the title of Knight.

Sweet, so would you rank the story above AC4?

...I'm stuck in the "Aces" Mission on AC5.

[spoiler:7ed4182e9f]I keep crashing in the tunnel.....yes I know...[/spoiler:7ed4182e9f]

Sol on