As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Changing main hard drive's letter

ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
Recently my brother installed a new hard drive in his computer, alongside another one of the same kind, and reinstalled windows 7 on the newer drive.

However, it seems during the OS installation, the main drive with the OS was named E drive instead of C. This is causing problems with programs like zbrush, as it is looking for a C drive and won't install without one.

Is there any way for him to rename the main drive to C drive as it was supposed to be named?

I'm not sure if this may have had a part in this, but when installing Windows 7 64 bit, he had to install XP first and then upgrade to 7 with the upgrade disk he got.

Thanks for any ideas!

steam_sig.png
PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
ShinyRedKnight on

• Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Right click Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management > Right click on drive and choose change drive letter.

Have never tried it on a main operating system partition/drive like you have yourself there, but it might work. Might also blow everything up, but it's worth a shot.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah there's chance you're not going to be able to do this without reinstalling the OS.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • cuularcuular Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    googling zbrush and installation, all the installs show the option of telling it to install anywhere you want. C: is just a drive letter that you should be able to change.

In newer windows like Vista and beyond, the C: drive letter holds no special properties at all. It could care less what drive letter you install it on.

So unless this is some pirated cracked version of zbrush, I'm going to say look for the third screen of the install that shows a path to install to with a "Change" button beside it, and tell it to use "E:\Program Files..."

cuular on
  • ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    Alrighty, thanks for the advice all. I'll let my brother know, hopefully things go smoothly.

steam_sig.png
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    cuular wrote:
    googling zbrush and installation, all the installs show the option of telling it to install anywhere you want. C: is just a drive letter that you should be able to change.

In newer windows like Vista and beyond, the C: drive letter holds no special properties at all. It could care less what drive letter you install it on.

So unless this is some pirated cracked version of zbrush, I'm going to say look for the third screen of the install that shows a path to install to with a "Change" button beside it, and tell it to use "E:\Program Files..."

Surprisingly, there are badly written installers that will let you choose whatever drive you want to install on, but will bug out without a c: existing. Flash until fairly recently did this.

Erik
  • ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    My brother was able to change one of his hard drive letters and installed zbrush, working great now!

steam_sig.png