As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I was hacked, I suppose.

durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
So, I just got a note from Blizzard this morning saying

"Hello zhang[not my name],

Welcome to Battle.net!

You have successfully created the following Battle.net account:

[myemailthatIdon'tuseforgames]"

Changed my password. Anything else I need to be doing? I'm not even certain what a Battle.Net account allows a person to do beyond... I guess play games? I thought it was free?

Adding to that, my credit card has already been cancelled due to a fraudulent charge this past week. Anything to do beyond changing all the passwords I can find and running antivirus software?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
durandal4532 on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Are you sure that wasn't spam? I get those ALL the time for my email I don't use for my Battle.net account.

urahonky on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    Speculation: WoW is F2P up to level 20.

Zhang wants a billion accounts in order to farm gold.

Step 1: buy email list for 20 bucks.
    Step 2: register b.net accounts for all those addresses.
    Step 3: wait for gullible suckers to click the activation link.
    Step 4: farm gold.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Ah, hm.

So the email list is simply an email list, not like actual account information. Phew. I was worried by it coming so soon after the credit charge. Well, fuck you Zhang! Not clicking any link no how.

Anything to do besides delete the mail?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Was it from battle.net or battlenet.com? I've gotten the latter before, it's a scam.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Definitely Battle.net, and battle.net links in it. It seems to be a legitimate activation email, in the sense that someone signed up with my email address.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    First of all: You're not alone in this issue. Not by by any means. It seems that 'Zhang' is on a rampage with this stuff.

My speculation on the issue is that 'Zhang' has found a way to defeat email verification on the Blizzard servers. Essentially, whenever you set up an account, an email is sent to your listed address during sign-up. You either have to click a link, or enter a verification code on a webpage for the email to be authenticated. This is so someone can't just sign up using random email addresses. 'Zhang' has no doubt found a way to circumvent this issue and get a verification token without receiving the email. Something similar happened to the PSN in the wake of the larger PSN hacking, in regards to password resets, so it's not unheard of.

If this is true, then it means you wouldn't need to be 'hacked' in order for this to happen to you. And it would also mean the email is legitimate from Blizzard.

If you're concerned about the security of your email address, be sure to change the password and run a few scans for malware (there are plenty of tools, but if you want recommendations I won't hestitate). I'd also call up Blizzard and talk with them directly about this. They're familiar with the problem, and should be agreeable with removing the account.

Edit: There's an official post on the WoW Battlenet forums about this. There's not much information on there beyond what we already know, but the admin verifies that the emails are legitimately from Blizzard. Recommended actions include forwarding the email to hacks@blizzard.com, contacting Blizzard support, and tightening end-user security. Though I think that last one is just in there as a useful deflection, as by all accounts so far a user doesn't need to be infected or compromised for this issue to afflict them.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Sounds good, I'll give them a call when the lazy pacific bastards wake up.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm not quite sure I get the point of this. Instead of registering battle.net accounts with other people's email addresses, why doesn't he just set up a bunch of his own email addresses and register battle.net accounts to those? And what's the point of having a billion battle.net accounts anyway?

Marty81 on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Marty81 wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure I get the point of this. Instead of registering battle.net accounts with other people's email addresses, why doesn't he just set up a bunch of his own email addresses and register battle.net accounts to those? And what's the point of having a billion battle.net accounts anyway?

1. Setting up email addresses takes time and can also get spam blocked.

2. Chat/gold selling spam, probably.

admanb on