As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NHL] Thread - NHL realigned with the winter solstice, pagans pleased

• Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Maybe tinwhiskers is Bowman?

tofu on
  • Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    WE'RE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS PEOPLE.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My bad, misread.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    tofu wrote: »
    I would love to see [GOOD PLAYER] play for the [TEAM I CHEER FOR]

while we're at it I will take Weber and Crosby and Parise.

to go please, and I will pay by credit card

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Weber is where my list stops and ends.

BC is the defensemen capital of the world. Look it up.

Matrias on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I did.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Pfff, Lidstrom was a -3, and Bobby Orr hasn't wOn anything in years. ;)

Anyways, all I mean to say there is a very large number of elite defensemen from BC. Like how Montral is the goalie province.

Matrias on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Wow, cool article on PD this morning about the Colin Fraser issue. Dean Lombardi is pissed that Colin Fraser has a cyst that will put him in recovery, along with his fractured foot, for four months; he insists that this wasn't advertised when he and Steve Tambellini made the Smyth deal.
    Then there's the money quote from Lombardi, one of the few NHL general managers who's golden with words:

"The bottom line for me, I would have rather invested my money with Bernie Madoff than invest in Edmonton's word."

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    He goes on to say that he doesn't think it reflects on the people of Edmonton. If I were GM, i'd go for the troll.

Matrias on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    In other news, no one in Edmonton really cares.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I would care if the GM of the team I cheered for was as incompetent as Tambellini

tofu on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    As a neutral observer in this city, Tambo has done enough things that calling him incompetent is a bit of an exaggeration. Between his UFA signings this year, getting the return he did for Penner, extending Ryan Jones, calling him incompetent for pulling one over on DL is actually sort of funny. What will happen is that Colin Fraser will remain a King, LA will get compensated with another pick, and that's the end of the day. Lombardi managed to get rid of 6.5 million worth of cap hit, giving him room for Gagne and giving him breathing room for a Doughty extension. He can blow as hard as he wants to an LA twitter maven, but he made out pretty well all things considered.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    But on the other hand, teams will be . . . reluctant, at best, to make deals with Edmonton in the foreseeable future. If it was intentional, yeah it might be brilliant in the short term, but it's kind of a poison pill.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Depends entirely on what player is being dealt and if they're coming back from an injury. If Hemsky is being dealt, of course, teams should be looking closely at his health. Even before this whole Fraser thing.

What's being entirely overlooked is the fact that Lombardi got rid of a 6.5 million dollar cap hit for a 35 year old winger and gave him cap space and breathing room for a younger option and making room available for resigning Doughty. Having Fraser on the IR for the next four months is a small fucking price to pay for that.

Morgenstern on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    At the end of the day is the Oilers organization either lied about Fraser's injuries or they are so incompetent they didn't know he was injured. Just because the Kings were dumping salary doesn't somehow mean that this is acceptable conduct for a professional sports team

tofu on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Reports have also indicated the cyst is a relatively new development and would not have been caught when the Oilers doctors looked at him again a month ago. So, blaming them for not checking up on a player every day is incredibly idiotic, especially during the off-season. Fraser will come back by October and then Dean can buy him out like he wanted to all along.

Morgenstern on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    As I said before, I think this says worse things about the medical services the oilers provide players, and maybe hurt their UFA efforts.

Matrias on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Seriously?

They don't have to check him out every day, just before they trade him

tofu on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    They should have caught that shoulder injury when the season ended.

Matrias on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So apparently Vokoun was deciding between the Capitals and the Red Wings.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    So apparently Vokoun was deciding between the Capitals and the Red Wings.

The Wings probably just wanted him in the backup position, Caps wanted a starter

tofu on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Good for the caps.

I need the Red Wings to decline at the rate the Kings in improve.

Matrias on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Cogliano to the Ducks for a 2nd round pick.

Which kind of equals a fourth and a mid-level prospect? Maybe? By a stretch? I win.

Morgenstern on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Huh. Sounds like Sherman didn't make Vokoun an offer after all.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    3v3v Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Man.. I really wanted Cogliano on the 3rd line for the Sharks. Now he's on the ducks.. dammmitttt.

3v on
    512285-1.png
    PantsB wrote: »
    Koreans 4 Gate like this
    White People 4 gate like this
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Cogliano to the Ducks for a 2nd round pick.

Which kind of equals a fourth and a mid-level prospect? Maybe? By a stretch? I win.

Overpayment. I'd rather have the pick than a 3rd liner who thinks he's a 1st liner and hates playing wing

tofu on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Pens re-signed Dustin Jeffrey for 2 years (first year, two-way contract, second year NHL) which is exciting news for me.

And no one else knows who he is.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Pens re-signed Dustin Jeffrey for 2 years (first year, two-way contract, second year NHL) which is exciting news for me.

And no one else knows who he is.

I do, I do!

Great that they were able to get him on a 2-way deal for the first year. That's pretty impressive from Shero, I thought he would definitely have to be up with the big team the whole year.

PizzleStixx on
    PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So did anyone hear about Mike Duko's twitter escapades?

He's a prospect/minor leaguer the Canucks traded for.

At first he was like, "Oh boy, what a great organization to be part of!"

But if you go back and read his tweets during the playoffs, he was cheering on their opponents and trolling the players.

I was thoroughly amused by the irony.

And then he deleted his twitter account. :(

Edit: I shouldn't be surprised, I deleted my old account here when I was getting razzed for Dawn of War2.

Matrias on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, they're players - they're gonna say "it's a great organization" regardless.

Except Phoenix, I guess.

offtopic: A friend gave me that game and I still haven't played it. I suppose I should get around to it. Were you on the team back then?

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, anybody know if the Bruins were ever referred to as the "Boston Street Brawlers" in response to the Flyers being the "Broad Street Bullies". A co-worker has an Old Navy shirt that says "Boston St. Brawlers" and we were trying to figure out what that meant. Anyways, we ended up calling Old Navy to ask them, and the guy on the phone said he was pretty sure that's what it was, but wasn't certain.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Sometimes its just better for you to not taunt hockey players.

At about 30 seconds in

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    TehSloth wrote: »
    So, anybody know if the Bruins were ever referred to as the "Boston Street Brawlers" in response to the Flyers being the "Broad Street Bullies". A co-worker has an Old Navy shirt that says "Boston St. Brawlers" and we were trying to figure out what that meant. Anyways, we ended up calling Old Navy to ask them, and the guy on the phone said he was pretty sure that's what it was, but wasn't certain.

I think Old Navy is full of shit

tofu on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Rikushix wrote: »
    Yeah, they're players - they're gonna say "it's a great organization" regardless.

Except Phoenix, I guess.

offtopic: A friend gave me that game and I still haven't played it. I suppose I should get around to it. Were you on the team back then?

DoW2? Yep, but I was still a tester on that project.

Matrias on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote:

Yeah, that just sounds like something Old Navy made up. I've heard them called the "Big, Bad, Bruins" but never "Boston Street Brawlers"

:so_raven:
  • Options
    So Huselius is out 4+ months now. So the CBJ are BACK in the market for a top 6 winger (which I think they should've been all along). And now that they can put a bunch of Juice's $4 mill cap hit on LTIR there probably aren't too many restrictions on who they could sign.

I've already heard rumors that they're talking to Edmonton about Omark. Not sure how I feel about that.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    3v3v Registered User regular
    512285-1.png
    PantsB wrote: »
    Koreans 4 Gate like this
    White People 4 gate like this
  • Options
    yeah, that's really impressive. hard to believe he's stuck on such a low-tier national team with skills like that.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote:
    TehSloth wrote:

Yeah, that just sounds like something Old Navy made up. I've heard them called the "Big, Bad, Bruins" but never "Boston Street Brawlers"

I dont even think there IS a Boston Street in Boston.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Safe to say that this story never happens if Richards signs in Calgary.

This discussion has been closed.