As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon

• Doctor FinkDoctor Fink Bishounen Chewbacca Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm having more troubles getting into a game on LIVE than staying in one.

The whole Quick Match thing isn't really cutting it.

Doctor Fink on
    PSN: Doctor_Fink / Xbox Live:LieutenantDef / Steam: Doctor Fink
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah its constantly losing connection to host and game out of slots errors too, just given up for now. Which is a shame because I just hit level 5 BA and started in hard. =/

Morkath on
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    yalborap wrote: »
    Hey, question for Tactical heads. Do your turrets get any stronger as you level up, or are they stuck at the same power level forever and ever?

They go up a level at around Rank 4 or 5, and you keep getting new ones.

Spoiler in case anyone reading wants to be surprised by their upgrades...
    The Autocannon Turret at rank 6 is an absolute beast. Huge knockback effect, long range, high rate of fire and damage.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Damn, am I getting my ass kicked on Hard on my own. Might have to do some co-op.

The rank 4 guns help a LOT, though. My foes still take a serious pounding before they drop, but at least they're dropping now at a half-decent pace.

yalborap on
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Basil wrote: »
    Oh my word this is fun.

Battle armor is so STOMPY.

You're just this engine of destruction wading through the hordes. <3

-You know what this is? This is a suit of honest to god Terminator Armor.

I... might have picked the Yellow color and started yelling at my friends that the Angry Marines where here :lol:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
    edited July 2011
    Morkath wrote: »
    gaah

Anyone else keep getting disconnected from live while playing edf?

It isn't my internet going out, and it only happens when I am playing EDF think they have a bug that is killing the network adapter.

Oh shit, I was having this happen to me too!
    I had to switch to the wired connection to get it to stop fucking with me.
    But it only started last night, which is weird because I was able to play on Friday/Saturday with no issues!

Wulf on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Game is fabulous.

But I don't think I've ever leapt as quickly into a game's option to turn off voices before. These are the worst I've literally ever heard.

Yes, worse then Chaos Wars. There is absolutely no aspect of them that isn't not 100% annoying.

Magic Pink on
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I just wish that the briefing voice wouldn't replay when you restart a level. Even if you can cut it off once you get into the set up screen, it's still annoying.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    edited July 2011
    l_g wrote: »
    I just wish that the briefing voice wouldn't replay when you restart a level. Even if you can cut it off once you get into the set up screen, it's still annoying.

Absolutely. I have a screen full of text to read and that fucking woman just WOULD NOT SHUT UP.

Magic Pink on
  • BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I want this game so bad, but can't get it until Friday D:

Scratched my itch with 2017 over the weekend, and managed to find the very last weapon I was missing for my full 1000gp :^:

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Saying it's worse than Chaos Wars is some goddamn exaggeration

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited July 2011
    Saying it's worse than Chaos Wars is some goddamn exaggeration

I didn't turn off the voices in Chaos Wars. I did in this. No exaggeration at all.

Note there's a difference between terrible voice acting and terrible dialogue and voice direction.

Magic Pink on
    edited July 2011
    See, I loved the voice work. It's campy and horrible, but in a hilarious way.

Waypoint is up!

yalborap on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    the voice work is fine until you hear the same 3 jokes repeated ad nauseum and the same unskipppable mission briefings over and over and over again. then it becomes less fine.

also i think im going to be done once i max out the battle armor. doing it all over again 3 more times seems pretty untenable to me, unless a way easier method for grinding out XP and cash surfaces.

Ah_Pook on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The voices are great. I love bad voices and bad dialogue, and never get tired of hearing the same lines over and over. Perfect for me, I guess.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited July 2011
    man, the pesticide mortar you get when you hit level 8 with the battle armor is totally worthless. sure it kills everything anywhere near it with one hit, but that 100% of the time includes you and all your teammates too. the blast radius is way the hell too big and hard to judge to actually be able to use the thing. i was hoping to use it to cheese out the last couple inferno levels but oh well.

Ah_Pook on
    edited July 2011
    Jesus I am being humped by a spider orgy. It is like a gangbang. Hot arachnid on mammal action!

EDIT: Pook, isn't that what the shield's for?

yalborap on
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This game is awesome.

Kicker is the best AI buddy ever.

Ratsult2 on
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I have both a PS3 and a 360, is there any reason to choose one version over the other?

baudattitude on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This game has some very good drop in/out functionality, at least if you're the host.

Turkey on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Are there really only three chapters? Just finished normal and feels like the game just...ends.

Psychotic One on
    edited July 2011
    Are there really only three chapters? Just finished normal and feels like the game just...ends.

The real Demon's Souls Starts here...

*cough*
    You get different endings for each difficulty :P

Wulf on
    edited July 2011

Yep, apparently the developers want to make the final boss fight DLC.

Magic Pink on
    edited July 2011
    I was happy to discover that I had $45 in reward certs for Best Buy :rotate:

My copy should be getting delievered sometime this afternoon, and I'll be playing tonight! <3

Bonepart on
  • LordCrankLordCrank Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I have both a PS3 and a 360, is there any reason to choose one version over the other?

On the 360 if you do split screen co-op the second player doesn't have access to all of player one's equipment/levels, they're expected to have their own profile set up (and you need a second profile to save their progress). Not sure how it's handled on the PS3.

LordCrank on
    woop woop
    edited July 2011
    yalborap wrote: »
    EDIT: Pook, isn't that what the shield's for?

i havent tested it, but the pesticide mortar does 500,000 damage... im guessing your shield can't quite handle that

Ah_Pook on
    Doesn't the shield absorb all of the damage from the hit that pops it?

• RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    PS3 copy arrived finally, guess I can start shooting bugs soon.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
    Wow its going to take some time getting rank. I had all armors at rank 4 then played straight normal campaign online and barely got to rank 5 (it was just enough xp after from 1-1 to 3-5)

steam_sig.png
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    This comes out in the UK tomorrow.

Tomorrow is my last day at work for six weeks.

I AM EXCITED AND MUST TELL EVERYONE ABOUT KILLING SPACE ANTS

fragglefart.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Rubycat wrote:
    Wow its going to take some time getting rank. I had all armors at rank 4 then played straight normal campaign online and barely got to rank 5 (it was just enough xp after from 1-1 to 3-5)

You should be on Hard by now, the XP ramps up and things will go quicker.

My Battle armor had enough punch at Rank 3 to clear 1-1 on hard without to much trouble.

Bonepart on
    I hope inferno gives a lot more, I hit level 6 on my battlearmor, and it was like 230k to the next level and 85k a gun. Getting like 7k/5k a solo game.

• xboxxerxboxxer Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote:
    I hope inferno gives a lot more, I hit level 6 on my battlearmor, and it was like 230k to the next level and 85k a gun. Getting like 7k/5k a solo game.

Inferno appears to triple the amount of xp, going from 15/ant on hard to 45/ant on inferno. Definitely more fun, but also significantly more difficult. A single rocket blast from my tier 5 rocket launcher does NOT kill a single ant outright. Lots of running away (unfortunately, the ants I think can run faster than a BA), and, at least in my case, dying.

PSN: Entair / XBLive: White Seraph
    edited July 2011
    wow 85k a gun at rank 6?. it was just costing around 3-5k a gun at rank 4 and that pretty much bankrupted me for battle armor.

Ive heard the 2 pre-order guns dlc will be hitting xbla and psn eventually at 2.99 each

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    Yeah, I was buying every gun I could for BA up until level 5, I would recommend not doing that. Save the money and only buy what you absolutely need to rank up, the lower tier guns become useless. Wish they had end loaded the weapons so there was less useless crap in my list.

Yeah, I was buying and using 2 new guns every mission till I bottomed out of credits.

steam_sig.png
    tier 7 weapons cost 100-250k each. you can get 60-70k a mission if you grind XP/credits on 1-4, but it gets real tedious. i kinda gave up on this game once i maxed out my battle armor. i still have the last couple levels left on inferno if anyone on the ps3 wants to try to co-op them sometime i guess.

• YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    Is this out in the UK yet? Hopefully will be able to grab it at the weekend if it is :D

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    xboxxer wrote:
    Morkath wrote:

Inferno appears to triple the amount of xp, going from 15/ant on hard to 45/ant on inferno. Definitely more fun, but also significantly more difficult. A single rocket blast from my tier 5 rocket launcher does NOT kill a single ant outright. Lots of running away (unfortunately, the ants I think can run faster than a BA), and, at least in my case, dying.

The shockwave on the blast armor is pretty amazing for survivability in Inferno, at least at mid levels. I'm guessing it's not as useful once you get up to tier 7 or 8.

bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
    the shockwave becomes way less useful, and the shield becomes way more useful. one straight down rocket blast with the shield up is just as effective as the shockwave for clearing space, and takes way less of the shield. shield+point blank rockets is the best thing generally.

are any of you dude splaying this on the ps3 for real?