As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Congratulations! You have died! Dungeons of Dredmor

DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited July 2011 in Social Entropy++
F5PbG.jpg

Dungeons of what? Dungeons of Dredmor!

This is a new game by indy developer Gaslamp Games and just released today on Steam. I've been eagerly following its development for a few months. It's a turn based roguelike and it's only $5 normally, on sale now for a mere $4.49! There's skills, diggles galore, lutefisk, and of course death. So much death. Mainly yours. But dying is half the fun. I've got the calculations to prove it here somewhere..

So first off, some things that may turn some people off to this game. As I said, it's a roguelike so it's tough. You're going to die. Lots. Also you can't customize your character at all. Even equipping different gear doesn't change his appearance. Deal with it. This game is only $5. For that little money you can cope with a static avatar.

Ok, let's talk skills.
Qsxlz.jpg

When you start a game, you can choose 7 skills. Depending on what skills you choose, they'll have a other abilities you can learn by putting skill points into them later.

One thing to keep in mind when choosing skills at the start is that weapon skills will not start you with that weapon, or any weapon at all. If you don't have a skill for a weapon you find, you can use it but at reduced proficiency. There's also crafting in the game! You have to choose the crafting skill you want at the start, and I think you start with one or two basic recipes and then you can find more in game in bookshelves.

What about the huge eyebrows? What's up with that? Man I don't know, maybe they're enchanted or something. Maybe it's revealed when you beat the game. You don't want spoilers do you? Just deal with it.

Since this game just went live, I don't really know a great deal about how to effectively play the game and what skills are super useful and such. So buy the game and explore with me. I'll add more info as I learn more about the game.

Now get out there and die!

G8P9P.png

belruelotterav-1.jpg
Druhim on

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh and here's the link to the store page on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/98800/

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    so a couple questions i'm too lazy to look up

when you pick skills, does it safe preferences or preferred skills between games
    do you have skills subsets, like weapons, crafting or can you just pick whatever

um
    how does this compare to nethack

redfenix on
    edited July 2011
    It compares to nethack in that they're both roguelikes? The game just released today dude. I don't know all the ins and outs of the game. You can pick new skills each time, or you can just have it use the skills you used last time. There isn't really any customization or preferences beyond that. It's all about how you use what you have and what you find, as most roguelikes are. But there's no user preferences file I know of where you can set how stuff stacks and such.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    It compares to nethack in that they're both roguelikes? The game just released today dude. I don't know all the ins and outs of the game. You can pick new skills each time, or you can just have it use the skills you used last time. There isn't really any customization or preferences beyond that. It's all about how you use what you have and what you find, as most roguelikes are. But there's no user preferences file I know of where you can set how stuff stacks and such.

look if you make a thread about something you best be a goddamn expert on that subject

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited July 2011
    o, well if it saves the last ones used, that's nice

picking seven things each time seems like a pain

and just because they're both roguelikes doesn't mean the mechanics are overly the same
    if you don't know, i guess nevermind

but you just seemed like the spokesperson for it around these parts

redfenix on
    edited July 2011
    Well let me tell you about pooping then..

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited July 2011
    redfenix wrote: »
    o, well if it saves the last ones used, that's nice

picking seven things each time seems like a pain

and just because they're both roguelikes doesn't mean the mechanics are overly the same
    if you don't know, i guess nevermind

but you just seemed like the spokesperson for it around these parts

I never said the mechanics are very similar. I just said they're both roguelikes. I think the game's a lot of fun and I like supporting an indie dev that put out a cheap, fun game and I want to let others know about it. If that's not enough to get you interested, then don't buy it. Pretty simple dude. I suspect plenty of other people will have fun with it.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited July 2011
    i already made that thread

re:pooping

redfenix on
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited July 2011
    Sure, I'll buy this

Also isn't cthulhu saves the world out on steam today?

Whippy on
    edited July 2011
    I'm interested and wanted to know more about it... i'll go find it myself, nm

redfenix on
    edited July 2011
    Yeah Whipster, that one looks fun also.

edit: Red, I ain't brushing you off to be a dick. THE GAME JUST RELEASED TODAY. I'm not hiding anything from you. I just don't know a whole lot about the game yet. I haven't even lived long enough to level up. But I like what I've seen so far. ymmv

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sure, I'll buy this

I heard it is not good. like buying a hotdog that fell on the floor, it doesn't matter how cheap it is

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Man, look at those eyebrows.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    edited July 2011
    k
    no harm done, i wan't aware of the general lack of knowledge regarding it
    i guess i'm used to there being some resources about a given title
    no prob, bob

redfenix on
    edited July 2011
    redfenix wrote: »
    k
    no harm done, i wan't aware of the general lack of knowledge regarding it
    i guess i'm used to there being some resources about a given title
    no prob, bob

well you're comparing it to games like nethack that have been around for decades

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    It's turned-based? Interesting.

How long are you living for on average?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wren wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »

look if you make a thread about something you best be a goddamn expert on that subject

Druhim's Dick Sucking Emporium Thread incoming...his mouth

Hunter on
    edited July 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    It's turned-based? Interesting.

How long are you living for on average?

The first four times I played I never even leveled. My current game I've managed to survive to level 2! I will say promethean magic seems like a pretty solid starting skill as you start with dragon breath which flames an area with the potential to hit multiple creatures and can set the floor on fire, damaging them as they move through it.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Ok, finally managed to survive to level 3. I chose golemancy as a starting skill, and after putting a skill point into it I can now summon a mustache golem.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Does the mustache golem offer rides?

Hunter on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I love silly, painful, funny roguelikes so I'm giving this a shot! Though I do hate bushy eyebrows

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am now sad that I only have a netbook. This looks fun.

Dogbone33 on
    Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
    edited July 2011
    This game has a lot of charm and a good sense of humor. Also you can pray at statues of Incosequentia for quests. I think you can save up lutefisk to offer at the lutefisk altar, but I don't know what that does yet.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Straight away irritated by that smugface abuse and eyebrow excess.

Personface on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sure, I'll buy this

cth2.jpg

JoeUser on
  • TaskmanTaskman Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm in for the £3 price tag and the possibility that I'll find new and amusing ways to die. I think that's going to be a major preoccupation considering from the sound of things the game doesn't give you a lot of choice but to to die.

Edit: So far, the most notable thing has been what I recognise to be (and may be mistaken about) as Dwarf fortress references; Sewer brew and strange moods to name a few. Anyone noticed stuff from other roguelikes?

Taskman on
    uGn5f.png
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dogbone33 wrote: »
    I am now sad that I only have a netbook. This looks fun.

I'm currently looking at it and thinking that I might be able to get away with running it on my netbook.

Straightzi on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I bought it, and it's pretty fun so far. It's pretty tongue in cheek. It's heavy inventory management though, there's a lot of (probably useless, but I can't tell yet) items out there. I will heavily recommend the "berserk" line of skills, which are free buffs essentially. Armouring so far is pretty meh, you need to put many skillpoints into it.

I also met the lutefisk god statue. I gave him 1 lutefisk, nothing happened.

Re system requirements: It doesn't need a videocard, I think if you can handle the resolution, it just may run. (Though the bottom of the netbook range may choke on the processor/ram)

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, the inventory management is heavy. Wish items just went right into your pack.

zucchini on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    zucchini wrote: »
    Yeah, the inventory management is heavy. Wish items just went right into your pack.

I discovered that if you click an item on yourself, it goes to backpack, and autostacks. But still, a lot of different metals, gems, potions etcet....

SanderJK on
    edited July 2011
    Just pick up the item, then click on the inventory tab above your belt. You don't need to open your pack. Also I discovered you gain pretty good experience for destroying statues of Dredmor.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    This game is delightful.

I always liked Rogue likes but dreaded trying to learn the stupid interface.

So I was wrong when I previously claimed that starting with a weapon skill (swords, maces, axes) doesn't start you with that weapon. Also I've been wreaking havoc with dual wielding and maces. Have two flails equipped and I do 26 dam per non-crit hit.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Yeah, dual wielding seems to be a huge boon. The other thing I noticed is that armour absorbtion is the attribute of kings. Because numbers are so low, every point really really matters.
    Also, activate sidequests at the end of a level! They can be really really tough (Swinging for 14 damage/hit on level 2 for instance).

• ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Totalbiscuit did a "WTF is" on this game and it sold me on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyTfUnnxZV4

hLeTR.png
  • Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So just started playing this game. I figured I would be pretty good going on the rogue difficulty since ive played quite a few roguelikes.

Yeah... Ive been at it for a good hour and have barely made it past 5 rooms. I have been playing a psionicy rogue though.

The only thing I don't like is that mobs can spawn where you have already been. It makes it harder than it needs to be when you are backtracking to buy yourself some time from this monster only suddenly three more pop out of the room you just cleared.

Also, theres some pirates of the caribbean rip off going on with the music XD

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
    edited July 2011
    So just started playing this game. I figured I would be pretty good going on the rogue difficulty since ive played quite a few roguelikes.

Yeah... Ive been at it for a good hour and have barely made it past 5 rooms. I have been playing a psionicy rogue though.

The only thing I don't like is that mobs can spawn where you have already been. It makes it harder than it needs to be when you are backtracking to buy yourself some time from this monster only suddenly three more pop out of the room you just cleared.

Also, theres some pirates of the caribbean rip off going on with the music XD

That's pretty standard for roguelikes.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I just loaded in to a new dude and I swear it was playing the music from the hong kong level of Deus Ex.

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Okay this looks pretty fantastic. Really considering picking it up.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    So I was wrong when I previously claimed that starting with a weapon skill (swords, maces, axes) doesn't start you with that weapon. Also I've been wreaking havoc with dual wielding and maces. Have two flails equipped and I do 26 dam per non-crit hit.

My most successful character so far had maces, dual wielding, berserker, master of arms, vampirism, perception, and blacksmith skills.

It helped that I dropped a relatively early mace onto one of the special anvils and it started throwing fire from time to time, AoE damage on top of my high damage from the maces was bliss.