As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Tourneys

12346»

• Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DiscoDave wrote: »
    Yea, all the official tournaments will be using dedicated tournaments.

BYOC only stuff, the prizes aren't generally going to be as significant and for the most part, the tournaments will be a little more casual.

Aces, that's what I wanted to hear! 8-)

I think by the first sentence you meant "dedicated tournament computers". :lol:

Edit: So I have to bring my pc to play in the WoW tourney, correct? >< I wasn't planning on it, but that sounds too fun.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yea, all the official tournaments will be using dedicated tournaments.

BYOC only stuff, the prizes aren't generally going to be as significant and for the most part, the tournaments will be a little more casual.

Edit: So I have to bring my pc to play in the WoW tourney, correct? >< I wasn't planning on it, but that sounds too fun.

Yes.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited June 2007
    I think by the first sentence you meant "dedicated tournament computers". :lol:
    Quite right...I think I type faster than I think, sometimes, my fingers get a little ahead of themselves. ;)

(Which is a little disturbing as I'm not THAT fast of a typer...)

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I guess I'm sort of new to WoW tournaments, so I wonder how does it work if our characters are all on different servers? I'm less interested in you posting the official rules right now, and more curious about how we get all our characters into one place.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    WoW, obviously not lending itself well to tournaments, requires a bit more creativity than the typical tournament.

Last year what we did was a race through the Deadmines. So everyone's would get their own characters into the instance along with a mod that would measure the total amount of damage they're doing. So you don't fight against the other people in the tournament, but you're racing to try and do more damage than anyone else can in the set amount of time.

Other WoW tournaments have featured creating new characters and racing to a particular level, defeating a certain mob, or gathering a series of random items scattered about the World......(of Warcraft).

This is one game, by the way, we won't be announcing the rules until pretty close to the tournament itself, to prevent people from planning ahead and hopefully keep things as fair as possible.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    That's cool man, I think in that context I am fine with not knowing the rules too far ahead of time (though I would like some idea before I head to PAX, even if its just a day). I was just really curious as to what people have done, as it obviously doesn't lend itself to tournaments well. It still sounds like potential awesome could ensue (although racing to a certain level would be extremely boring).

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I got a trial account recently, if the tourney is noob friendly maybe I'll even buy the game to play. Seems unlikely though.

ThePimpImp on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    All I can say is that it would be cool if our time spent in Azeroth up to this point played some part. A leveling race would be severely unbalanced (based on a lot of things like race, class, and server you rolled on [all the mobs could be in the process of getting killed by other players]).

Instances are the way to go, that's the way you make sure everyone has the same game in hand.

Bonus points if you can figure out a way to do this in a "teams" sort of way. Maybe two people on the same server can play together or something?

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm sad theres no Guild Wars love on the BYOC tourneys, that game is MADE for this kinda thing.

Plus GW>WoW in my opinion, but I know I'm going to be outnumbered on this one :(

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm sad theres no Guild Wars love on the BYOC tourneys, that game is MADE for this kinda thing.

Plus GW>WoW in my opinion, but I know I'm going to be outnumbered on this one :(

Seriously! Guild Wars has purely instance content throughtout. It has a skill based system, instead of a level based/gear based one. The PvP in that game is phenomenal. Not to mention the 10 different classes you can play.

Guild Wars is an extremely competitive game and would be an awesome addition to the roster of games that could be used in tournament.

Officer on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    You do know that Arena net is in the exhibition hall every single year, and holds a dozen of their own tournaments for guild wars, right?

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Well I only went last year, and they only held one tourney that was "open access" that I was aware of, which I was in, and kinda sucked because it was this weird "completely random skillsets" thing that left my entire party with not a single heal among all 4 of us :( needless to say we didn't get far.

But yeah I didn't know it was an every year thing, my bad.

BrokenAngel on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Instances are the way to go, that's the way you make sure everyone has the same game in hand.

Yea, we used an instance last year, and everyone had a blast with it. The only potential problem is that does sort of limit the fairness of it just a little bit. If you've got a level 50 character, you're just not going to be able to compete with a level 70. If you're a holy priest, you're just not going to compete with DPS against a mage.

These are not critical flaws, mind you, and the PAX audience has been very easy to get along with and accepting that the coolness of having a WoW tournament outweigh some minor balance issues.

This year, however, we're going in a different direction. It should prove to be very fair to most characters at or above level 40. That doesn't mean you couldn't compete at level 30, and you could very well win, but after level 40 you're not going to have much of an advantage just because of the level.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Non-epic mounts race!

Officer on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm a big fan of Guild Wars.

If I could run any tournament I wanted, catering to any demographic I wanted, I would love running a Droknar's Run tournament. Everyone starts at New Ascalon, first person to run a n00b to Droknar's Forge wins.

*sigh*

Anyway, if you guys would like having a byoc Guild Wars event, that's something we can look at. Potential roadblocks include a relatively limited playerbase combined with the fact that that game really only makes sense in groups, which amplifies the problem of a relatively limited playerbase.

Drok Running, while fun as all hell imo, would be savagely unbalanced.

But if you think there's a real potential for a good tournament and/or contest with Guild Wars, feel free to shoot me a PM.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Yea, we used an instance last year, and everyone had a blast with it. The only potential problem is that does sort of limit the fairness of it just a little bit. If you've got a level 50 character, you're just not going to be able to compete with a level 70. If you're a holy priest, you're just not going to compete with DPS against a mage.

These are not critical flaws, mind you, and the PAX audience has been very easy to get along with and accepting that the coolness of having a WoW tournament outweigh some minor balance issues.

This year, however, we're going in a different direction. It should prove to be very fair to most characters at or above level 40. That doesn't mean you couldn't compete at level 30, and you could very well win, but after level 40 you're not going to have much of an advantage just because of the level.

I sleep well at night knowing that you have an understanding of all of this. I look foward to this tournament.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    As a avid guild wars player for 2 1/2 years I would definitely like to see a guild wars tourney in the byoc room. Although I am sure ANet will be planning something GW related in the exhibitor room like last year.

Suggestions:

Scavenger hunt
    1v1 battles
    Somehow organize some guest gvgs.

The droks idea is meh :P Comeon we need pvp tourneys.

atray on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So, HL2:DM is going to have a tourney?

Also, while Guild Wars would be fun, it would also be rather problematic. You could do an organized GvG battle, but other than that it's kind of sketchy. You can't arrange any specific team vs another in Team Arena or Hero Battles. And 1v1 in scrimmages is just rock/paper/scissors.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    So, HL2:DM is going to have a tourney?
    Yep!

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ideas for Guild Wars:

Whoever can get higher level on a Pre-Searing character in an alotted period of time.

(Taking from Atray) A Scavenger Hunt in Pre-Searing, where there are a lot of neat little items everywhere: Red Iris Flower, A Beautiful Pearl, A Beautiful Feather, all that stuff. Not to mention it's pretty there. Plus, even GW newbies are able to play in this one.

A "Strongman" Game: Pick a target dummy and nail it with your best shot/spell/skill and see who can deal the most damage with a Skill. Done in multiple rounds with the average damage being the competition score.

GW Fashion Beauty Contest: In a short but sweet one, just pick your best looking character and let's pick whose is the best/coolest looking. Impartial judges look at 1 character from the competitors and see who wins

Officer on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Recruit wrote: »
    Ideas for Guild Wars:

GW Fashion Beauty Contest: In a short but sweet one, just pick your best looking character and let's pick whose is the best/coolest looking. Impartial judges look at 1 character from the competitors and see who wins

That would be sweet if there were more than 10 styles of clothing in the game.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yay for HL2DM!
    Ideas for Guild Wars:

Whoever can get higher level on a Pre-Searing character in an alotted period of time.

(Taking from Atray) A Scavenger Hunt in Pre-Searing, where there are a lot of neat little items everywhere: Red Iris Flower, A Beautiful Pearl, A Beautiful Feather, all that stuff. Not to mention it's pretty there. Plus, even GW newbies are able to play in this one.

A "Strongman" Game: Pick a target dummy and nail it with your best shot/spell/skill and see who can deal the most damage with a Skill. Done in multiple rounds with the average damage being the competition score.

The strongman game sounds a little simplistic. Glyph of elemental power, 16 air, lightning orb. Everyone ties! Or if you count deep wound damage, decapitate with conjure flame and signet of strength.

Best looking would just be what armor design people think looks the coolest.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ideas for Guild Wars:

That would be sweet if there were more than 10 styles of clothing in the game.

You do realize you are able to mix/match and dye all of it, right? Not to mention complementary weapons/focus items/shields. It can all be a factor.

Plus... Core classes have about 25-30 armor sets, while the non-core classes have between 10-15 different sets.
    Best looking would just be what armor design people think looks the coolest.

Again, you seem to think that people all wear the same armor and never mix and match. Personally, one of my favorite armor sets I have is a mixture of 2 or 3 armor sets on my Necromancer.
    The strongman game sounds a little simplistic. Glyph of elemental power, 16 air, lightning orb. Everyone ties! Or if you count deep wound damage, decapitate with conjure flame and signet of strength.

You are right about that though, Elementalists would have a disgusting advantage over everyone else.

I do, however, stand behind my Armor contest, I think it would be a fun goof-off thing to do.

Officer on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I guess my point is that even with dye, there really doesn't seem to be a huge variety in visual styles of armor in the game. That's one of my biggest gripes with it. I guess I want MMO-amount of different looks :)

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Seems like there's pretty viable interest in the game. More than I would have guessed.

If the ArenaNet doesn't do a tournament themselves, I'll look at doing something for BYOC people.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    We will have the PAX vent server so we can organize something in a gw channel. Then jump into Int D1 of TA to organize a group for battles. I dont see a problem with this. Plus Ill have 5-10 guys online more than willing to join in for some fun.

atray on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Thank you DiscoDave that would be sweet :D

atray on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Indeed! Hooray for DiscoDave! ^.^

BrokenAngel on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah last year they had a sealed deck 4v4 tourney (I won third place!) and they might do something again this year.

RandomEngy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    My team got 7th place last year. We were the decapitated Chickens.

atray on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    atray wrote: »
    We will have the PAX vent server so we can organize something in a gw channel. Then jump into Int D1 of TA to organize a group for battles. I dont see a problem with this. Plus Ill have 5-10 guys online more than willing to join in for some fun.
    FYI, we will have a local network vent server I'd much rather everyone used rather than the public one, just so we can conserve as much bandwidth as possible.

I know it doesn't use that much bandwidth, and I have no plans to block the ports, but the local vent channel is really going to be the best way to go for organizing local games.

I like the idea of having a lot of game channels you can hang out in, too, I'll see that we have channels setup for as many games as possible to hopefully help people find matches in their favorite games.

Also, the intranet page will have a shoutbox to communicate with other people at the event to help organize your own games and/or events.

Finally, if you are convinced there should be some event and/or contest that our staff can't, for whatever reason, manage, let me know and I'll support you as much as possible. I've made this offer every year, and I don't think anyone has ever taken me up on it.

We can provide some resources to help track the tournament/contest, and should be able to provide some (relatively modest, mind you) prizes as well. This is also a great way to be invited to help with official PAX tournaments in the future, should that be something of interest to you.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    BigRed wrote: »
    For tournaments people are already required to use a tourney computer. They can use their own keyboard/mouse/headset as long as no drivers need to be installed and the computer doesnt have to be restarted.

:(

One of the few reasons I'm bringing my unit is for the css tourny.

Shade on
  • Options
    Trent{TS}Trent{TS} Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Looks like I should have been paying more attention. :) I would have like to play some 2142 Titan as a tourney game.

That said, can we get some more info on the BF2 rules? Any of the official mods going to be used?

Trent{TS} on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    BF2 won't be using any expansion packs or unlockables. It'll be Conquest, 6v6 (as opposed to 8v8 last year).

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Looks like guildwars will be doing there own tournament again this year. Still it would be nice to organize something in the byoc room anyone interested?

www.guildwars.com (pax news post added)

atray on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    so, hey

noticed a WoW tournie

is that just for BYOC? and if it isn't, can you give us ANY sort of idea about what that kind of tournie will be like? pvp based, i hope. arena matches?!

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Because you need an account to play WoW thats why it hasnt been in the Open PC room in the past unless things change. The Wow Tourney probably will be a BYOC only thing.

atray on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It will be BYOC exclusive, and the main reasons are A), to conserve bandwidth, and B), we're afraid people might get frustrated trying to play WoW with a 30-45 minute time limit.

I've talked a little about the tournament before...it won't be pvp based, but you'll be using existing characters. That's all I really want to say because, as you'll be using existing characters, it would be possible to prepare for the tournament giving yourself an unfair advantage.

David Coffman on
This discussion has been closed.