As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Internet Problems

iammattpleeveeiammattpleevee Registered User regular
I'm not too tech savvy. Here's what's been happening for the past week or so. My internet will be decent during the day but at night it'll cut out every 15 minutes sometimes more sometimes less.
The icon still tells me i'm connected but webpages don't load and I can't play games online.
I've tried resetting the router and restarting my computer. That's all i really know to do.

I run vista. I sometimes download torrents but not often and I haven't downloaded anything that would be likely to get flagged in a long time.

Any ideas? Is there anything i can do to make anything more understandable?

SteamID iammattpleevee@aol.com
Battle.net: Matt 3999 or iammattpleevee@gmail.com
PSN?: iammattpleevee
life-before-google.jpg
iammattpleevee on

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I'm not too tech savvy. Here's what's been happening for the past week or so. My internet will be decent during the day but at night it'll cut out every 15 minutes sometimes more sometimes less.
    The icon still tells me i'm connected but webpages don't load and I can't play games online.
    I've tried resetting the router and restarting my computer. That's all i really know to do.

I run vista. I sometimes download torrents but not often and I haven't downloaded anything that would be likely to get flagged in a long time.

Any ideas? Is there anything i can do to make anything more understandable?

edit: did it while i was typing this post, of course.

did not mean to post twice

iammattpleevee on
    life-before-google.jpg
  • Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Could be a number of things, depends on your situation.

What's your ISP? DSL? Broadband? Dial-up?

Wired or wireless?

Aeyther on
  • Options
    It's Time Warner and it's DSL.
    The router is wired but my computer isn't close to that so i use a wireless receiver to get on the internet.

thank you.

life-before-google.jpg
  • Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    I don't know much about Time Warner but I did a couple Google searches and they seem ok. I'm thinking it's the wireless that's losing signal or getting overpowered by any kind of wireless device nearby that operates on the same frequency.

A lot of the time it's cordless phones that are the offender, I heard some microwaves can also affect it but I have never seen one mess with the signal. Personally we have a cordless phone that used to knock out my wireless connection every time it rang or someone picked it up. I eventually just ran a cable from one side of the house through the air ducts and never worried about it again.

I would suggest changing the channel on your receiver and seeing if that helps. If something is interfering with the signal then maybe operating on a different channel will fix it.