As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bioshock...really? Freaking really?

Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better.Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
So I'm playing through Bioshock, cause I own the game I never really gotten around to play it (thank you steam for making me buy games that I'm never going to play).

And all I have to say is...really?

Is this what it comes down to? Just how many turrets do I have to run across? How many boss fights do I have to do where all it comes down to is being respawn at the vita-thingy over and over and over? How long do I have to be lead by the nose by the obvious plot twist?

But most of all, fuck the whole little sister 'morale' choice. I remember back in the day, when this game was still being hyped, the little sisters was suppose to be this huge morale thing never before seen in video games. Well, whoopdee fucking doo, this huge morale thing turns out to be 'kill them for stuff' or 'save them for other stuff', where saving them makes no fucking sense because they're trapped in a underwater city that's full of murdering crazy people. It makes much more sense to keep her big daddy alive. This is like saving a little girl from her mafia father, and then watch her run off into the fucking congo.

So yeah, fuck this game for having a teeny tiny little bit of having something to do with System Shock. Cause System Shock did everything that Bioshock did, but 90x better.

Casually Hardcore on

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I... um... ok?

I mean I had some issues with Bioshock too but isn't the game almost half a decade old at this point?

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Man, what?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    So I'm playing through Bioshock, cause I own the game I never really gotten around to play it (thank you steam for making me buy games that I'm never going to play).

And all I have to say is...really?

Is this what it comes down to? Just how many turrets do I have to run across? How many boss fights do I have to do where all it comes down to is being respawn at the vita-thingy over and over and over? How long do I have to be lead by the nose by the obvious plot twist?

But most of all, fuck the whole little sister 'morale' choice. I remember back in the day, when this game was still being hyped, the little sisters was suppose to be this huge morale thing never before seen in video games. Well, whoopdee fucking doo, this huge morale thing turns out to be 'kill them for stuff' or 'save them for other stuff', where saving them makes no fucking sense because they're trapped in a underwater city that's full of murdering crazy people. It makes much more sense to keep her big daddy alive. This is like saving a little girl from her mafia father, and then watch her run off into the fucking congo.

So yeah, fuck this game for having a teeny tiny little bit of having something to do with System Shock. Cause System Shock did everything that Bioshock did, but 90x better.

Wow. I don't know where to start. If you have vita-chambers turned on, or need to use them at all during boss fights, you're doing it wrong. As for the little sisters, you are making a moral choice, though I get the impression you are not far enough in to see the repercussions of that choice.

I get the feeling you are too caught up in the metagame and have no appreciation for atmosphere, maybe this game isn't for you. Either way, I think we still have a Bioshock thread and you may want to post this there instead.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, I'm calling Bioshock out.

This game was way overhyped. This was like the last cog on the 'make every FPS console friendly' fps-crappafier machine.

Casually Hardcore on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I gave up after an hour because of sub-par shooting and awful, dark level design.

reVerse on
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    Whoa now.

what's wrong with making FPS's console friendly?

• EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    The second one isn't much better.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I thought Bioshock was fantastic. At first I was kinda lukewarm to it (after just playing System Shock before it) but it grew on me real quick.

• 101101 Registered User regular
    Bioshock doesn't have the greatest shooting mechanics, true.
    What it does have is an excellent story and atmosphere which, at least for me, were enough to make me look past it's flaws.

Bioshock 2 had better gameplay, but the other elements were lacking compared to the first. Decent game though.

• MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    This threat is now about being super angry about games that came out years ago.

250px-Secret_of_Evermore.jpg

What the crap Secret of Evermore? You were supposed to be the spiritual successor to Secret of Mana and you totally dropped the ball. Everything you did was a step backwards!

Only three different kinds of weapons instead of the 8 in SoM?

A single playable character? Well, there is one more but it is a dog and no one cares.

Also, an alchemy system that actually requires me to gather a bunch of stupid crap? The MP system was invented for a reason, stick to it.

You were the sequel that no one wanted. Oh it makes me so angry!

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i ain't gonna lie, the gunplay in bioshock is utter shit, and general mobility feels very limited

fortunately you don't have to shoot many things and can instead use freaky powers and a monkey wrench to wreck shit up

bioshock infinite doesn't look to have better gunplay, but the rest of the concept is fantastic and i'll likely get it on that premise alone

also, as others said, if you're using vita chambers you're doing it wrong.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    101 wrote:
    Bioshock doesn't have the greatest shooting mechanics, true.
    What it does have is an excellent story and atmosphere which, at least for me, were enough to make me look past it's flaws.

This sums it up pretty well. Play it on easy if you find Big Daddy fights/turrets whatever frustrating, minimize the impact of what the game does somewhat poorly and enjoy what it does best.

Also, I try not to be this guy, but the word you are looking for is 'moral,' not 'morale.' I had no idea what you were trying to say until I realized you were getting those mixed up. Put it this way: too many turrets and non-compelling MORAL choices hurt your MORALE. See how that works?

Gaslight on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm going to be so glad when this whole "...really?" thing dies off.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    MoosehatIV wrote:
    This threat is now about being super angry about games that came out years ago.

250px-Secret_of_Evermore.jpg

What the crap Secret of Evermore? You were supposed to be the spiritual successor to Secret of Mana and you totally dropped the ball. Everything you did was a step backwards!

Only three different kinds of weapons instead of the 8 in SoM?

A single playable character? Well, there is one more but it is a dog and no one cares.

Also, an alchemy system that actually requires me to gather a bunch of stupid crap? The MP system was invented for a reason, stick to it.

You were the sequel that no one wanted. Oh it makes me so angry!

I actually really liked Secret of Evermore. Probably because I played it before Mana, but still. The world was really cool.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    cloudeagle wrote:
    I'm going to be so glad when this whole "...really?" thing dies off.

Uh, that expression has been around for a long time duder :P

• DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    What the fuck, Aliens vs Predator on the SNES??!! You are nothing like Aliens vs Predators in the arcade!

AvP.jpg

One playable character?
    No co-op?
    No Humans?

You are pretty much the biggest disappointment ever. Why don't you go eat a chocolate frosted butt you turd shitting fuck bucket. Thanks for ruining my childhood!

sig2-2.jpg
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Edit: sorry, got carried away by amusment at the concept of being angry at old games.

I liked Bioshock when I played it. It has been a while, though. I never got around to playing 2.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    The moral choice of killing/saving Little Sisters is developed more throughout your interaction with Tannenbaum and even more in Bioshock 2 when you experience it first hand.

I tried once on a replay to kill a Little Sister and couldn't bring myself to do it. It becomes that meaningful.

Also Bioshock 2 was great and fie on you all for thinking otherwise.

huntresssig.jpg
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Arivia wrote:
    The moral choice of killing/saving Little Sisters is developed more throughout your interaction with Tannenbaum and even more in Bioshock 2 when you experience it first hand.

I tried once on a replay to kill a Little Sister and couldn't bring myself to do it. It becomes that meaningful.

What? I kept trying to shoot those stupid whores but they just wouldn't die, so I did the dumb "select evil choice" every single time.

JtgVX0H.png
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bitch thread is four years too late.

And I need to see this "fps-crappafier machine."

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    Arivia wrote:

I have to go through GFWL in order to play the copy I got in the 2K dev pack and after spending an hour screwing with GFWL?

I'll never know because fuck spending more time dealing with GFWL.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Walking around Rapture should be enough for anyone. Why shoot guns when you can throw BEES?

• DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote:
    Walking around Rapture should be enough for anyone. Why shoot guns when you can throw BEES?

This man understands.

sig2-2.jpg
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    The moral choice was done very well, its just that you gotta keep playing it to see where it leads. It's not all going to be explained to you in the first 2-3 hours. And the shooting is definitely the weakpoint of the game, I wasn't overly impressed with the way it felt as a shooter, the plasmids definitely helped and having the crossbow made things so much more fun but until that point it all feels unerwhelming.

Also, the atmosphere is the real star of the show. Rapture is is fantastically crafted and the main characters are pretty great too. They have the Noir-ish style to them.

I would really advide you to stick with it. Everyone here ought to know by now the amount of trouble I had with the second game. So much technical problems that were it any other game series I'd have given up immediately. But I stuck with it and it's one of the most rewarding games I've played. Personally, I found the ending far more appealing than the first games.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed Bioshock, loved the twist, and even found Bioshock 2 to be fun, but admittedly it wasn't as strong on the story aspects (the first one set the story and atmosphere bars pretty high) and though the combat mechanics were better done. Though the Big Sister mechanic was admittedly a bit nonsensical in how it was applied.

With half a decade of hindsight, anything can be seen poorly through less charitable eyes. Maybe my view is skewed heavily because I played the original when it came out, and didn't let reasonable but not-gamebreaking flaws completely sour the experience for me.

... not having to screw with GFWL for more than a few minutes for the sequel to work probably helped. That crap is a pox upon gaming.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    BioShock 2 was great, but very few parts of it capture the atmosphere and sense of bittersweet tragedy the way BioShock 1 did. Minerva's Den, on the other hand, is fantastic and really does capture that BioShock feel.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    Image033.jpg

Fuck you, FFIX. I expected another VII, just like VIII was before it! And just like X was after that!

You ruined my expectations of just getting the same game for the third time in a row.

Not today.
    I disagree. I think Bioshock 2 is just as strongly told and even more emotionally engaging than the first was; it's different in narrative material and scope, however.

huntresssig.jpg
    I think I'm in the minority then when it comes to preferring the second Bioshock over the first, narratively. :-D

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote:
    I disagree. I think Bioshock 2 is just as strongly told and even more emotionally engaging than the first was; it's different in narrative material and scope, however.

It was quite different, and I agree that I cared far more for Eleanore then random LS Number 451. But BioShock 2 just couldn't capture the grandeur of Rapture. It felt like they were just retreading old areas, with the only exceptions being the excellent Ryan Amusements and Persephone.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    Big Isy wrote:
    I think I'm in the minority then when it comes to preferring the second Bioshock over the first, narratively. :-D

I...just agreed with you.

@Nemo: Eh. The poor guy in Fontaine's, the visual fake-out at the beginning of the last area..those were really good.

huntresssig.jpg
    Arivia wrote:
    Big Isy wrote:

I...just agreed with you.

@Nemo: Eh. The poor guy in Fontaine's, the visual fake-out at the beginning of the last area..those were really good.

I'm slow. Good to know I'm not alone.

• AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Bioshock was not very fun to play.

That's all I got.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Turn off vita chambers. Play on hard. Get Brass Balls achievement.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    So uh...I really liked the 2 Bioshock games. And I loved System Shock 2. And I think Bioshock: Infinite looks sweeeeeet. That must mean i'm a console FPS crapfest lover tho...:( Now I don't know what to do with myself...

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    No, a real moral choice would be having you decide whether or not to flood an entire chamber of civilian in order to wipe out a splicer threat from entering the surface world.

Having an invulnerable girl do nothing but plead for her life while you decide between 'Good or Evil' buttons isn't a moral choice.

Casually Hardcore on
    Mulletude wrote:
    So uh...I really liked the 2 Bioshock games. And I loved System Shock 2. And I think Bioshock: Infinite looks sweeeeeet. That must mean i'm a console FPS crapfest lover tho...:( Now I don't know what to do with myself...

Let's be terribad together!

• AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Bioshock Infinite does look pretty sweet. That may be because it doesn't look anything like Bioshock.

No, a real moral choice would be having you decide whether or not to flood an entire chamber of civilian in order to wipe out a splicer threat from entering the surface world.

Having an invulnerable girl do nothing but plead for her life while you diced between 'Good or Evil' buttons isn't a moral choice.

A real moral choice is whether or not I'm going to report a crime in progress. Or keep the extra change a teller gave me.

Edit: Being good or bad to the little sisters is a moral choice.

Also, Bioshock Infinite looks awesome, if not so terribly scripted to the point where it makes CoD look like a sandbox game.

I'm just saying that Bioshock is the 'Deus Ex 2' of the 'shock' games.

This discussion has been closed.