As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War [Hesher] Battle Master

• Options
    Onslaught_FeiOnslaught_Fei Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I like Ghost enough to write this review: http://www.thegorgon.com/ghost-opus-eponymous-2011/

If you don't get it then you don't get it, but I am a whore for classic metal and its related sounds.

Also it's okay to make fun of the bad blog I write in and my terrible writing.

Onslaught_Fei on
    XBL: Onslaught Fei
  • Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, I was listening to it again while I was working some properties yesterday. I dig the album. The more I listen, the more I'm hearing from 70s hard rock, a hint of prog, even some Beach Boys in a few of the vocal lines. I do like the multi-layered vocals more than when he's alone, but then, without the variation it wouldn't have that same effect.

Coincidentally it is also the album I've had the most requests to review but never reviewed. My score would probably be similar to the one you put on your blog, perhaps a bit higher [8.25-8.75/10].

A lot of people have been talking about this latest SubRosa album, I guess it's time to pony up and check it.

autothrall on
  • Options
    hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    So, yeah, who else is following FtDR for this theme? I love it so far, and I have been really impressed with Rotting Christ and Septic Flesh's back catalogs! New Cannabis Corpse also fucking rules.

The new version of the forums is much better for mobile browsing, but clearly they have some things to work out, because the little popup listing that I have infractions is getting really old.

• Options
    As a side note, I now have the whole FtDR site backed up, page by page, on two separate drives, so we're good. The only posts I didn't backup were my older Autothrall Best of lists (1980s through 2007), only because I plan on polishing them up, making them more comprehensive (and perhaps longer). So yeah, it's a relief to be done. Now all that remains is to save the new posts as I move along.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Hey, LoveIsUnity, this might be of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twdmykzcp8Q&feature=player_embedded

I am getting excited.

• Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm honestly not expecting anything near the quality of ATRU just because that's an insanely high standard to meet, but I'm definitely liking what I hear so far.

On a non-metal but still pretty hesher-y note, my friend got me into The Hellacopters recently. Swedes are just so damn awesome at everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv5DvcncsTg

...And on a non-metal and non-hesher-y note, any of you like Trophy Scars? They started out as a kind of boring post-hardcore band, then they started some terrible experimentation before ending up as a bluesy Tom Waits-alike band with some hardcore elements floating around here and there. I've kind of fallen in love with the EP they released last year, Darkness, Oh Hell, and they've got a new EP coming out in a few days that's sounding even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=258Ke00_vmI

Blakout on
  • Options
    I'm guessing the album is probably going to be a grower like ATRU was. I'm going to reserve judgement on anything until I've given it a good few spins. I really hope they can live up to the hype and expectation they've created with the fucking seven years since the last album.

• Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I have no doubt that it'll end up in my top 10 at the end of the year at the very least, I just hold ATRU in such high regards that I have trouble believing they'll be able to match it. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

• Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    Heh, I hang out with one of the guys from SubRosa occasionally, I guess they broke up. Right after they got all this good press too.

• Options
    Talking metal with people from college is the most depressing shit ever.

"Hey Tav, you should really come see The Ghost Inside or Bring Me The Horizon."
    "Naaah, not really my thing. Saving cash for Neurosis and Negative Plane."
    "Man, black metal all sounds the same."
    *Dies inside*

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Guy I work with is kinda worse.

"Hey man what kind of stuff are you listening to on your iPod?"
    "Oh you know, rocking out to some Korn"
    *barfs everywhere*

And the other way around isn't much better.
    "Hey GKS, what are you listening to?"
    "Oh just some Anthrax"
    "Why do you listen to them? I have their whole discography downloaded and I've just been deleting songs steadily"

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    "What do you mean you don't listen to Incubus?!"
    "What do you mean you don't listen to Sublime?"
    "What do you mean you don't listen to [insert other 90's band I don't give two shits about here]?!"

• Options
    "Joey from Slipknot is the best drummer in the world."

• Options
    I just read Corey Taylor say that he foresees Slipknot recording a new album in a few years but he's still super butthurt about Gary (was that his name? I can't bother to check) dying. It's like... dude, I get it. Dying members suck. But soooo many bands got off their ass and kept going after a member died. Bassists too even! Ugh.

I mean, not that I want Slipknot to record another album, but cut the shit.

• Options
    Ignore them all, they just have a plebeian attitude towards art in general, letting it come to them rather than go to it. When the buzz train arrives, it's all fucking aboard. When they actually have to hike to the destination, their legs suddenly give out.

I've listened through the SubRosa album today twice. I enjoy the vocals and the atmosphere, but it's rather a shame that the core riffs are so generic, the sort you've heard a thousand times already in stoner rock and doom up and down the spectrum. It seems these days that you slather some predictable pattern in enough earnest distortion, and it becomes the nouveau cool.

• Options
    Meh, that sort of thing I can forgive. You're not just going to magically get over the death of someone you've known for like, 10-15 years. What annoyed me was Taylor saying "If I could change one thing about the music industry, I'd make a wish, click my Converse together three times… and give it a soul."

I mean really.

• Options
    Onslaught_FeiOnslaught_Fei Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote:
    I've listened through the SubRosa album today twice. I enjoy the vocals and the atmosphere, but it's rather a shame that the core riffs are so generic, the sort you've heard a thousand times already in stoner rock and doom up and down the spectrum. It seems these days that you slather some predictable pattern in enough earnest distortion, and it becomes the nouveau cool.

Very slow burn for me as well, I didn't understand the hype but you gotta have that shoegaze/post-rock mentality while listening to it and not your doom metal receptors. i.e. not concerned about the riffs as much as how the instruments just bounce off each other and soaking in the production (but you know this.) Besides that, it's the electric violins which carry the leads, the guitar is just rhythm (thus the lack of solos.) I do not consider this a stoner nor a doom album. I know art metal (the extreme/heavy spiritual successor to art rock) has been tossed around on a lot of forums and met with hostility but I kinda feel that's what it is.

XBL: Onslaught Fei
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    Ghost are still mediocre. Sorry.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote:
    Ignore them all, they just have a plebeian attitude towards art in general, letting it come to them rather than go to it. When the buzz train arrives, it's all fucking aboard. When they actually have to hike to the destination, their legs suddenly give out.

I was trying to formulate a way to say the same thing, wonderfully put as always.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    autothrall wrote:
    Very slow burn for me as well, I didn't understand the hype but you gotta have that shoegaze/post-rock mentality while listening to it and not your doom metal receptors. i.e. not concerned about the riffs as much as how the instruments just bounce off each other and soaking in the production (but you know this.) Besides that, it's the electric violins which carry the leads, the guitar is just rhythm (thus the lack of solos.) I do not consider this a stoner nor a doom album. I know art metal (the extreme/heavy spiritual successor to art rock) has been tossed around on a lot of forums and met with hostility but I kinda feel that's what it is.

Yeah, the violins and vocals are the most interest aspects. Overall, it's definitely atmospheric, and strangely accessible. Not a bad listen, but again, not a flawless, amazing album for me like a lot of the reviews I've read. But those are definitely stock stoner/sludge/doom riffs, no matter if a chorus of elephants or a jamboree band are smothered on top like frosting. Most metal is 'art' to me so I tend to stray away from that categorization, it's so vague and impugnable that I'd might as well just call music 'music'. Not trying to sound like a dick, though. It's true that some things feel more 'artsy' than others, naturally, so I understand what you meant in that context.

Also, I don't know how many folks here are in for some quizzical, creative industrial black metal, but I got a pretty cool promo in the mail from this Ukrainian band and threw up a review: http://autothrall.blogspot.com/2011/07/balance-interruption-era-ii-deserts-of.html

Good stuff, not as noisy as the latest Disiplin releases or as sluggish as some of the Red Harvest material, and more interesting musically than lyrically, but worth hearing.

autothrall on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Dammit Tav, I wanted to be the first one to post that! ;)

I'm super excited about Ritual of Names, but, it's definitely going to be tough to top AtRU. I listened to that while I was working the other day and had to stop working at the 3 minute mark during "Interview at the Ruins," because the talking segment segueing in to that guitar line (you know the one) just wrecks me every time. I know it makes me sound like one of "those" kids to get all emotional over screamo, but that record certainly does that to me at times. CTtS is also touring soon, but it's only an East Coast tour, so I guess I have to wait for them to make it somewhere near LA.

I'm considering going to the Arch Enemy, Skeletonwitch, and Chthonic show. I like one of Chthonic's albums well enough (don't judge me, or do...), and I like a few of the Gossow era AE records, but I'm not sure it's worth $40.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Considering the amount of times CTtS' facebook updates is shit like "we totally can't afford to fix our van to get to practise", I'm not holding out much hope for catching them in Europe any time soon.

I'm going to be shelling out about 100 euro to travel to England to see At The Gates. I cannot fucking wait. There'll be other bands there too (It'll be weird that my first time seeing Primordial won't be in Ireland... Though I've seen Alan sing with other bands which is almost the same thing seeing as how I don't really know any of the other lads.) but hearing stuff off SotS is going to make my inner fanboy very happy.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Yeah, I hope the new album sells well so they can afford to do things like tour and eat dinner.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That'd be neat. I really hope there's some decent form of distribution in Europe. At the moment, ATRU is sold out on Amazon.co.uk, they list it as an EP and their tracklisting is:
    1. Backlashed
    2. Spread Bald Eagle
    3. Rogue Rodeo
    4. Sucker Punks Fuck Off
    5. Early To Bed To Rise Again
    6. Untitled
    7. Untitled
    8. Untitled

Woeful stuff altogether.

• Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    The new Tombs album is so goddamn great.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    SecretTombs_Poster.jpg

I've got one of these on my wall right now.

• Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    I love some of this cover art from the Greek invasion. Nergal, Medieval Demon, Legion of Doom, Troglodite etc. It's very evocative and gritty. Kind of hard to explain, but I really enjoy it.

I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Turns out that Adam "Hammerlord" Mitchell produced the latest Troglodite album (mixed, mastered, etc.). For being relatively new at producing albums he's definitely got the ability to make a demo kick ass!! Both the new Troglodite and Wolves At Wars End sound like these guys have labels, but neither do.

Also loving some of the Greek cover art, like Varathron's His Majesty At The Swamp!

hanskey on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    autothrall wrote:
    There are some far better Greek covers upcoming :)

I wait with penis in hand.

Before I go through them all, is there any with cool drippy synths and tons of atmosphere and whatnot? Oh, do any of them have rain/storm sounds?

Also, some of the new smiles are crazy. LOCK AND LOLL o->

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    Tav wrote:
    SecretTombs_Poster.jpg

I've got one of these on my wall right now.

Nice.

• Options
    Picked up Morbid Angel's Gateways to Annihilation a few days ago. Jumping into the death metal scene a bit, see how it feels ya know?

Completely different entity than Death, which is about where the extent of my familiarity with the scene lies currently. Well, maybe not completely different. But it's certainly not the same as Symbolic or Human.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I didn't immediately fall in love with Gateways Of Annihilation, but I did after a few spins. It definitely required fucking with my equalizer a bit, and trying it at several volume levels. Really good shit!

Next you should track down some Pestilence!! \m/

Edit: I totally agree with auto on Altars Of Madness . It's awesome and very thrashy, one of my faves from them as well!

hanskey on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Picked up Morbid Angel's Gateways to Annihilation a few days ago. Jumping into the death metal scene a bit, see how it feels ya know?

Completely different entity than Death, which is about where the extent of my familiarity with the scene lies currently. Well, maybe not completely different. But it's certainly not the same as Symbolic or Human.

You should dive straight back to Altars of Madness, which you'll find has a different sound even than Gateways.... :)
    Adrenaline wrote:
    autothrall wrote:
    There are some far better Greek covers upcoming :)

I wait with penis in hand.

Before I go through them all, is there any with cool drippy synths and tons of atmosphere and whatnot? Oh, do any of them have rain/storm sounds?

Also, some of the new smiles are crazy. LOCK AND LOLL o->

Kawir might in general be to your liking, I'm covering their first full-length Tuesday.

autothrall on
  • Options
    Yeah, I remember reading the reviews. I've actually taken to bringing up FtDR on my phone when I'm standing in HMV wondering what to pick up. Didn't have Altars of Madness, otherwise I would've grabbed it.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I also shop with FtDR in hand on my phone! Very convenient in helping me choose what to get.

hanskey on
  • Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    check out Hell's Human Remains.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    That is a killer! \m/

hanskey on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    ...don't much care for Thrash outside of a few choice bands...

I just noticed this ^ ... I honestly find this quite surprising considering your screamo/hardcore love.

Then again, one of the things I like the most about Thrash is that it's like hardcore, but fucktons better (YMMV, and I assume you'd disagree with that characterization). Seriously though, It's too bad you didn't really follow the German Thrash theme, it was a fucking onslaught of awesome (maybe you already had the good shit?).

Not dogging on you LIU, just a little surprised and curious what your "choice" Thrash bands are ...

Edit: Sorry for the double post everybody - there is no more delete option ...

hanskey on
  • Options
    Screamo isn't very much like thrash at all...