As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop, Tablet or Netbook?

MattieMattie Registered User regular
My Dell netbook recently bricked so I've been thinking about replacing it with... something.

I've been debating what to get between a tablet, laptop or another netbook but I'm not quite sure yet. I like the potability of my netbook or a tablet but I also dontwant to have to upgrade again down the line for when Diablo 3 eventually comes out.

What's the best bang for my £-age laptop out there that would realistically be able to play Diablo 3, isn't gigantic, and won't burn out after 2 hours use?

If that's not feasible than what are the pros/cons between a tablet or netbook?

3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
Mattie on

• Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    I'll refer you to my big amazing laptop rule. When buying a laptop, you can reasonably expect to receive two out of the three following items:

1) Mobility and build quality
    2) High performance
    3) Low price

Obviously there's some variability here. But, it's a good general rule. To get more in one category, you need to sacrifice in another. For instance, some big, powerful HP you can find at Best Buy or whatever for 500 bucks will probably fall apart in a year and have a half hour battery life. On the other end of the spectrum, you can get a nicely made, very mobile netbook for about the same price, but it won't be very powerful. Or, you can get something like a Vaio Z or a Macbook Pro, which will be decently powerful and sport a well built enclosure, have amazing battery life, and be very mobile... but you'll definitely be paying for it... 2000 minimum. Or, you can get a nice and portable 13" Vaio S or 13" Macbook Pro for 1000 bucks, but it won't be as powerful.

The system requirements for Diablo 3 aren't really well known yet. But, I think Starcraft 2 might be considered a decent analogue. Starcraft 2 is really scaleable. I can run it on my Macbook with integrated graphics, and it's quite playable. But, it definitely doesn't look as pretty as it does when I play it on my desktop with all the settings maxed. So, how pretty of an experience are you expecting? Do you already have a capable desktop, and will this purchase only be supplementing it? If that's the case, I'd definitely skew things more towards mobility, and sacrifice the powerful graphics a bit... unless your budget can handle more.

As for tablets and netbooks. I don't know. You obviously won't be playing D3 on a tablet. But, they certainly have their uses, be it an iPad or an Android tablet. I don't own one, so I can't really comment. To me, netbooks inhabit somewhat of a useless middle-ground. I'd rather have a much more powerful ultraportable notebook or a tablet, depending on what I'd be using the thing for.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    How about something like this?

• Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    It seems like a laptop is the way to go. I don't have a desktop as I'm always traveling so I think my best bet is to find a nice laptop and just use my phone for quick, online browsing.

If I could get something like that for around £600-700 I would be dancing.

3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The M11x is pretty popular - it's like a gaming netbook.

• Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    If you want a properly mobile notebook, the M11x is definitely a good choice. They're quite portable, well made, have really good battery life, and are decently powerful too. A few others:

- Sony Vaio S
    - 13" Macbook Pro