As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Black Prophecy] - Space Shenanigans! New video inside.

1235»

• Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Game is decent though buggy (but it is in beta). The ships look cool, and I can see the customization system being fun; however, I feel there isn't enough variety in the weapon classes, and some of the weapon particle effects don't make sense.

The HUD elements are a little too small at high resolutions, and the crosshair options aren't particularly inspiring.

I haven't finished the prologue yet, so I'm still in the noob ship; I'll need to putt around in my Tyi replacement before rendering final judgement. For now, though, think of it as an MMO Freelancer with autotravel between zones (at any time, there aren't in-system gates or anything, and you can travel even while in combat) and interesting ship customization but a lot less variety in weapons and weapon particle effects.

If this remains F2P, and you really, really liked Freelancer, you'll enjoy this game. If you only liked Freelancer a lot, you'll get bored. If you didn't like Freelancer, you'll hate Black Prophecy. If they charge a monthly fee, skip it altogether.

One question though: what is the command to enter first person view? Or is that not yet implemented?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The instant one of the characters said "frak" I uninstalled the game.

I feel like this was a good decision.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    well frak you man

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This wouldn't be the first post-BSG sci-fi thing to use "Frak".

At least they didn't say "Frell".

delroland on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    As an addendum to my earlier post, the grindfest sets in after the prologue (which only gets you to level 5 or 6 out of 100), as has been noted here before. After that, there are few story missions and a whole lot of repeatable "Kill 10 X" quests. The voice acting significantly lowers in quality after the prologue as well. The first mission I received after choosing a faction had an NPC that SPOKE LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME. I had to halve my volume specifically when he was talking then turn it back up when he was done.

delroland on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    delroland wrote: »
    This wouldn't be the first post-BSG sci-fi thing to use "Frak".

At least they didn't say "Frell".

I haven't really watched any sci-fi stuff since BSG. Hell, I never even watched BSG. My hate for it is entirely due to the turbonerd fans.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    For a bug to be truly great, it has to be serious AND have a bug all of it's own:

itsprologuedamnit.png

Proloque? You idiots. :P

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    English isn't their first language for that company ya know.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have apparently been in the beta test for this for months, why am I not playing it? :O

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    So, this got its American release? I don't suppose they've added any content in the short time between now and the Euro release?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    Yeah, they say they're going to be adding new storyline and features every 3 months or so. They just added Inferno in Tulima. All of this is still free.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJv3KzOF1Lw&hd=1

• Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    I need to reinstall this. Just haven't gotten around to it after wiping my hard drive.

The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    Having fun with this so far, supposedly the latest patch brought in some stuttering for win7 x64 people, its not unplayable but its annoying. I figured it was just my computer needing to be upgraded but the local chat had a lot of people talking about it.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Someone should write up a review of the game. I'm sure a lot of people would like to know how it is coming from someone on the forums

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So I'm giving this a shot.

That spaceship has an exclamation mark over it. It offers a new cockpit as a reward for a quest.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I've been playing this game for all of 6 hours. So far it's super fun. I don't care about any of the standard MMO stuff being in it, It's a free, MMO space-sim and it's fun. That makes it more than worth the time for me.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    How's the exploration? Are there limited sectors and how big are they, and what is the means of travelling between sectors?

• Options
    edited July 2011
    After spending a few hours past prologue here are my impressions

The game gets really grindy once you finish the prologue, the non story missions basically boil down to "kill 10 of these guys in an open pve/pvp area while fighting your faction for spawns and the other faction" "ok cool, now go do the same thing but kill 25"

The instanced missions are slightly better but kind of repetitive, the main problem I have with them is you are just doing 1 mission at a time. At least with the open world ones you can usually knock out a few in the same zone and turn them in all at once.

Not sure if the storyline missions stay good, you finish the prologue at level 6, the next story missions need level 8 or 9. To get an idea of progression i need ~14k xp for the next level, the instanced missions reward 400xp and maybe another ~150 from ship kills. The fastest solo instanced mission "join the battle" or something, takes me around 15 minutes to do.

I've done a bit of pvp which I liked, it plays more like a deathmatch with very minimal death penalties compares to EvE. The only thing i noticed was a small debuff which i assume stacks.

Its a fun game, wouldn't pay a monthly subscription for it, but if you just want to jump on for 30 minutes or so and blow ships up the whole process is very streamlined.

Oh also once you have finished the prologue you can then choose to skip it on new characters, you start at level 6 with level equivalent gear. Just make sure not to delete the first prologue completed character. This is a good way to test out the different weapon types.

Also plasma flamethrowers are awesome.

edit:

exploration as far as i can tell does not exist at all. You choose a destination from the map and port there in ~10 seconds. The individual zones are pretty big, but eventually you will get an out of bounds message and it turns you around, this happens after roughly 3 minutes of flying in a straight direction.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    If you're not level 8-9 yet, how are you doing PVP missions? The only ones I can find are level 10 party PVP missions.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Oh i haven't done any of the pvp missions, just skirmishes in pans junkyard.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ah. Do you actually get XP for that? I've never noticed it if you do.

• Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    Trying to play this game.

But I can't help but shake comparisons to Eve. The universe feels soooo small. It's all just loading screens and little instances. Can't zoom out and there is that barest of input lag that while the combat is fun, it's a slight irritation constantly.

Man I just want Eve where I can fly a ship first person D:

Not today.
  • Options
    Ah. Do you actually get XP for that? I've never noticed it if you do.

not sure, will take a better look next time.
    Trying to play this game.

But I can't help but shake comparisons to Eve. The universe feels soooo small. It's all just loading screens and little instances. Can't zoom out and there is that barest of input lag that while the combat is fun, it's a slight irritation constantly.

Man I just want Eve where I can fly a ship first person D:

The lag supposedly just came in with the last big patch and is a known issue. They had a mini patch last night but i haven't had a chance to try it yet to see if its fixed.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Madpanda wrote:
    exploration as far as i can tell does not exist at all. You choose a destination from the map and port there in ~10 seconds. The individual zones are pretty big, but eventually you will get an out of bounds message and it turns you around, this happens after roughly 3 minutes of flying in a straight direction.

That is pretty much the saddest thing :(. I've always thought that a large sense of scale and a notion of exploration in the "final frontier" is of prime importance in a space game.

• Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    And it seems to me a space MMO is the easiest to expand content through procedurally generated terrain (aka asteroid fields, etc) even would help in generating tons of systems to begin with. To cut down on server-side load you would just have it so only a small percent of the asteroids actually had a moving path for immersion effect.

• Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    Tried this out some time ago but never got past the tutorials because of bugs, will try it out now that it looks like it's been updated.